PDA

View Full Version : Recall at K-mart high lead levels

stubert
01-21-2009, 07:30 PM
One of my friends was in K-Mart yesterday. He picked up a carpet runner to purchase. The manager came running over and told him He could not buy the carpet runner because it had been recalled. The manager claimed that the carpet runner (which was made in China) had high lead levels and people were getting sick from walking barefoot on it. The world is full of stupid people, stupid should hurt.

Heavy lead
01-21-2009, 07:38 PM
That is exactly why I'm calling for all lead to be confiscated by cast boolit shooters, unless people go barefoot walking in dirt burms it's the safest place for it to be.

Freightman
01-21-2009, 07:59 PM
Ship all dangerous lead to my address, will dispose of it in a timley manor.

jhrosier
01-21-2009, 08:38 PM
On 9-11, when for all we knew, we were under a full scale attack, Kmart stopped all gun and ammo sales to Americans.
If I ever wrote even part of what I think of those traitors I would be banned from here for life for foul language.
I have never darkened their doorstep from that day to this and never will.

Jack

zampilot
01-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Why anyone spends $$ at either K-Mart or Walmart is beyond me.

leadeye
01-21-2009, 08:45 PM
I have more than a passing experience with lead chromate pigments and can't imagine how they got into carpet which uses dyes for coloration. I wonder if they were talking about the latest chemical scare "pthalates".:roll:

Scrounger
01-21-2009, 08:47 PM
Anyone see this? A new conspiracy theory with WalMart????

http://csshyamsundar.wordpress.com/2006/06/05/area-71-wal-marts-mysterious-missouri-data-center/

jack19512
01-21-2009, 08:57 PM
The world is full of stupid people, stupid should hurt.

You got that right! :roll:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28775677/?GT1=43001

felix
01-21-2009, 09:04 PM
My son, Tommy, works for them. ... felix

clerkofkirk
01-21-2009, 10:18 PM
http://www.jibjab.com/originals/big_box_mart

Bret4207
01-22-2009, 08:15 AM
Why anyone spends $$ at either K-Mart or Walmart is beyond me.

Because in my neck of the woods before Walmart you paid 3 times the price for an equal quality item and only had 1 choice, not 4 or 5. Folks keep complaining about Walmart putting "the Mom and Pop" shops out of business. Well I don't know about anywhere else, but around here the "Mom and Pops" had a strangle hold on business and could rape the consumer freely. To this day the practice continues on a lesser scale.

Competition is good in many ways. Walmart/Kmart/Lowes/Home Depot may not be perfect but they sure beat no choice at all.

bobk
01-22-2009, 08:26 AM
OK, the manager gave a stupid explanation. Here's the real reason; infants and toddlers crawl and play on such carpets, and they often put their toys, and fingers and toes, into their mouths, and so ingest the lead. That's why they banned lead in indoor paint. You don't gnaw on the windowsills (at least I hope you don't), but children do.

Bob K

lunicy
01-22-2009, 08:40 AM
<----- Still gnaws on window sills. And eats paint chips.

Willbird
01-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Because in my neck of the woods before Walmart you paid 3 times the price for an equal quality item and only had 1 choice, not 4 or 5. Folks keep complaining about Walmart putting "the Mom and Pop" shops out of business. Well I don't know about anywhere else, but around here the "Mom and Pops" had a strangle hold on business and could rape the consumer freely. To this day the practice continues on a lesser scale.

Competition is good in many ways. Walmart/Kmart/Lowes/Home Depot may not be perfect but they sure beat no choice at all.

When I grew up in the 70's the local grocery store would DOUBLE the price of sugar when it was canning season.

Bill

9.3X62AL
01-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Bret makes a good point about the Marts, one I did not fully appreciate until moving to rural California. I am still annoyed at some of the stunts pulled by auto aftermarket retailers here, and gas is ALWAYS 20-40 cents more per gallon than in Victorville or Carson City. Gas is cheaper in Bishop than in Ridgecrest, which is 125 miles farther from the bulk plants in Colton. Total rip-off.

Rant over. Maybe all those Mom and Pop stores got their just desserts when Wally World came to town.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
01-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Walmart was a Mom and Pop store. Sam Walton built his empire from a little 5 and dime in Arkansas. He only took the same opportunies that we are afforded and did something with them. It is called capitalism. If you don't like the products don't buy them, but don't bad mouth someone elses success with the American Dream.

Regards,
Everett

Gohon
01-22-2009, 11:13 AM
Because in my neck of the woods before Walmart you paid 3 times the price for an equal quality item and only had 1 choice, not 4 or 5.

Not only that but mom and pop only employed little sis, junior and sometimes cousin Annie. WalMart came to down and put half the town folks to work.

waksupi
01-22-2009, 12:44 PM
Walmart certainly employs more people here, than it put out of work. And like elsewhere, the local stores that went out of business, were over priced, many times poor quality goods, and an arrogant attitude, of "So you're going to drive a hundred miles to save a little money?"
It's not my favorite place to shop, but it gives an option, where none existed before.

Bret4207
01-23-2009, 09:05 AM
It's not my favorite place to shop, but it gives an option, where none existed before.

Bingo!

cajun shooter
01-23-2009, 09:25 AM
9.3x62, If you really want a good case of the red butt then come buy gas in Louisiana. I was talking to a sutler on the east coast and he's gripping about the fuel cost. I told him that we in Louisiana are sending him the fuel via a pipeline and that we pay more for our gas than he does. I live just 25 miles from the plant and pay more than a man 1300 miles away. "GO FIGURE!!"

mroliver77
01-23-2009, 10:31 AM
Wally world did put a couple hardwares etc out of business here. But.... they dont handle much in the way of reral hardware, tools etc. One local fellow expanded his hardware business twice since WM came to town. He is very diverse and works hard to keep a great inventory and decent prices. Some folks roll with the punches, some just roll over.
J

KCSO
01-23-2009, 02:32 PM
More to the point

Once more the propaganda machines are winning the war. Lead is now so DANGEROUS that 7 states are wanting to ban lead bullets with Utah jumping on the condor band wagon. Hey fellows it doesn't make squat for difference if you have 2 tons in the garage if it is illeagle to shoot it. I had 14 boxes of lead duck loads left when they were banned, didn't make the game warden any difference. When lead is banned in your state what is your second choice for a hobby? It is now mandatory for the training academy to give a lead is dangerous speech before every range session. Officers on the range must shower before eating, smoking, or drinking. No snacks or water bottles on the range or you will DIE.