PDA

View Full Version : more or less powder when going from jacketed to cast?

mozeppa
03-18-2022, 06:08 PM
i asked once before and forgot.

to get the same speed as jacketed (when using cast boolits) do i use more powder? or less?

G W Wade
03-18-2022, 06:17 PM
Cast bullets will be faster than jacketed. GW

Winger Ed.
03-18-2022, 06:35 PM
Cast is softer, and has less resistance required to be forced down a barrel.

Castaway
03-18-2022, 06:49 PM
Less powder with cast

243winxb
03-18-2022, 07:50 PM
There is published data copied here, comparing Jacketed & lead. https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?media/albums/load-data-lead-vs-jacketed-bullets.265/

The Dar
03-18-2022, 10:45 PM

to get the same speed as jacketed (when using cast boolits) do i use more powder? or less?

I would recommend that you start with a loading manual.

I have worked up handgun loads for cast bullets starting with the MINIMUM charge of the same weight jacketed bullet. Working up in small increments. I don't stray from data listed in Lyman's Cast Bullet manual for cast rifle loading.

rintinglen
03-19-2022, 11:12 AM
Generally speaking, "Less for lead," is a pretty accurate guess as to velocity/powder relationships between cast and jacketed ammo with similar bullet types and weights.

quilbilly
03-19-2022, 10:22 PM
Not always true but I found that cast ore usually about 100-200 fps faster than jacketed when using bottleneck cases in rifles. The exception was my 22 Hornet which I never figured out.

Larry Gibson
03-20-2022, 10:16 AM
There is no hard or fast rule to answer the OP's question.

I have attempted, with both handgun and rifle cartridges, to determine if, given the same load with cast and jacketed bullets of close to the same weight, either will give a higher velocity and/or pressure. After velocity and pressure testing several hundred rounds of various cartridges I cannot say there us a "given rule" here. It is a roll of the dice. With a given load sometimes the cast bullet is faster, sometimes the jacketed bullet is faster. Sometimes the pressure is higher with the jacketed bullet, sometimes with the cast bullet. You will not know, even with the use of a chronograph, unless you can actually measure the pressure because equal velocity does not always mean equal pressure.

Start low and work back up to the velocity you want using a chronograph and watching for pressure signs. Best to stay within manual suggested loads unless you are very experienced.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-20-2022, 01:32 PM

typically you wouldn't be using the same powder to achieve accuracy at equivalent speeds ...so it's a moot point.

44Blam
03-20-2022, 11:29 PM
There is no hard or fast rule to answer the OP's question.

I have attempted, with both handgun and rifle cartridges, to determine if, given the same load with cast and jacketed bullets of close to the same weight, either will give a higher velocity and/or pressure. After velocity and pressure testing several hundred rounds of various cartridges I cannot say there us a "given rule" here. It is a roll of the dice. With a given load sometimes the cast bullet is faster, sometimes the jacketed bullet is faster. Sometimes the pressure is higher with the jacketed bullet, sometimes with the cast bullet. You will not know, even with the use of a chronograph, unless you can actually measure the pressure because equal velocity does not always mean equal pressure.

Start low and work back up to the velocity you want using a chronograph and watching for pressure signs. Best to stay within manual suggested loads unless you are very experienced.

^^^^
This.

fredj338
03-21-2022, 12:05 AM
No hard & fast rule but in general, less powder works safely.

americano
06-28-2022, 01:54 PM
Arsenic is everywhere in the world it's in plants just dont drink it straight

canyon-ghost
06-28-2022, 07:16 PM
I'm going to say less for lead. But it isn't absolute.

shooter bob
06-28-2022, 09:02 PM
Americano what the hell are you trying to get across???