PDA

View Full Version : 9mm mold for hog protection

Wolfdog91
03-18-2022, 06:03 PM
Any recommendations? End up being in thick stuff alot and usually carry my Sig P320 9mm for something to keep the hogs back when I get charged at. Looking at getting a mold due to ammo prices and would like some that would be good for the purpose.

Winger Ed.
03-18-2022, 06:40 PM
For that, I get a box of those expensive, hot rod, self defense loads that only come in the little boxes.

mnewcomb59
03-18-2022, 06:56 PM
The Ranch Dog 135 GC is the best balance of bullet weight and powder capacity in the 9mm. NOE sells them. It is the simplest way to get full power, accurate WFN 9mm ammo without a lot of the voodoo needed for plain base success in this caliber. No special expander plugs or special alloy, just gas check it and see instant success. There are no hogs up here but I have seen it take out a 1" section of deer leg bone on the on-side, then pass through the shoulder blade and exit on the off-side with an impact velocity about 1100 fps. This was a 50 yard shot and starting velocity was around 1250 fps in the rifle.

Castaway
03-18-2022, 07:20 PM
I don’t think a 9 x19 is enough to hunt a hog with, let alone dispatch one quickly. I know, 22 rimfires are used to shoot deer and put down hogs prior to butchering. I’ve hunted and shot hogs in Florida and have yet to have one charge me. The only time close to that was in TN one time and the dogs had a hog bayed up under a rock face. There was only one way for him to go and I was in the way. No sooner had I climbed up the hill a bit, the hog came out with afterburners on. Buddy Larry didn’t climb up hill like I did and his leg got in a collision with said hog. Mr. Hog wasn’t after us, he just wanted to get away. If serious about taking out a hog, I’d go to a larger caliber and a hard cast bullet 44 and 240 grains or better or 45 Colt with a 255 grain bullet or better.

mnewcomb59
03-18-2022, 07:55 PM
I don’t think a 9 x19 is enough to hunt a hog with, let alone dispatch one quickly. I know, 22 rimfires are used to shoot deer and put down hogs prior to butchering. I’ve hunted and shot hogs in Florida and have yet to have one charge me. The only time close to that was in TN one time and the dogs had a hog bayed up under a rock face. There was only one way for him to go and I was in the way. No sooner had I climbed up the hill a bit, the hog came out with afterburners on. Buddy Larry didn’t climb up hill like I did and his leg got in a collision with said hog. Mr. Hog wasn’t after us, he just wanted to get away. If serious about taking out a hog, I’d go to a larger caliber and a hard cast bullet 44 and 240 grains or better or 45 Colt with a 255 grain bullet or better.

Penetration is penetration. Energy is energy. The 9mm bullet I mentioned above, at point blank range, penetrates more than twice as far as a 150 JSP in 30-06 while having 1/8 the energy. It makes a small hole, but if it can penetrate 3.5 feet of critter, ballistic gel, etc, and it hits skull or leg bone, it will blow right through. In WFN bullet styles above 125 gr, 9mm penetrates the same or more than a 45 colt WFN at 900 fps. The new military 115 FN FMJ, not wide flat nose, about 20 caliber at 1300 fps penetrates about 38" gel where 308 and 30-06 penetrates 16" with 150 gr cup and core at close range. The hole isn't super impressive but penetration is penetration. You use a high penetration load to break bones, not for exploding organ and muscle flesh. The 30-06 JSP mentioned above will never break on-side bones as authoratitatively as a cast pistol bullet (but it will make a hell of a mess of bruised meat), and will probably never even tickle the off-side bone that the cast pistol bullet just cruises through.

I wouldn't recommend a hard cast 9mm for lung shots but if you hit brain, neck, or locomotive bones it kills anything you would need it to. They extirpated bison, elk, whitetail, wolves and all the big stuff in Ohio with 36-40 caliber round balls at about 1200 fps muzzle velocity.

405grain
03-19-2022, 02:30 AM
I don't have a recommendation for the 9mm. Years ago I used to hunt feral hogs in the coastal counties of Northern California. I was using a super blackhawk in 44 magnum with a cast 240 grain semi-wadcutters loaded to around 1200 fps. I've had the whole gambit of results: from getting two shots just behind the shoulder blade of a big hog that was running up hill that had no effect, left no blood trail, and after trying to trail the wounded pig from mid-day until after dark without ever finding a trace of him - to pigs that were dead right there with a single shot. Most pigs moved less than 25 yards before giving up the ghost. The 44 mag usually got the job done.

I had a buddy that used a 357 magnum with factory ammo. Him and a friend would use dogs to chase down the pigs (back when that was legal). One time they had a hog cornered. My buddy put three rounds into the pig's boiler room, and then the pig came straight at him. It ran over him, giving him cuts on an arm and a leg (from the pigs hooves, not the tusk), before his hunting buddy dusted the pig off with a 12 gauge slug to the head.

On another hunt I was with the guy that used the 12 gauge to finish off the previously noted pig. On this hunt he was using a bolt action Remington in 308. He got a good broadside shot on a pig and hit with a solid lung shot. The pig took off squealing and ran for 80 yards before burying itself in a blackberry bush. We could hear it in there breathing and grunting for over half an hour. Blackberry vines are covered with thorns and are like natures barbed wire, so we waited a while before going in to drag that one out. I wasn't relishing the prospect of finding that pig still alive inside that bush, but it had bled out and the story had a happy ending.

So, my recommendation? You've got to go with what you've got, but as soon as you can I think you should upgrade to either a 45 colt or a 44 mag in a revolver. While semiauto pistols have to have the cartridge within certain parameters so that it will cycle the action, a revolver can be loaded soft or hot, and can shoot bullets with a bigger meplat (or hollow point) without any fear of jamming. IMHO revolvers are more reliable, can generally be more powerful, and I would feel more confident in their stopping ability. I have used both single and double action revolvers while hunting and both types work equally as well in that application. In the meantime, use the medium weight softpoint or hollowpoint bullet is the most reliable in your pistol. Whiz-bang gizmos mean nothing if your pistol jams when you need it most.

sigep1764
03-19-2022, 10:00 AM
Never shot a hog with one, but armadillo and such sure don't like the NOE 358 155 Elco boolit. Cast as a 150 grain hollow point or a 155 grain flat nose. Im in the heavy for caliber camp.

Gtek
03-19-2022, 10:16 AM
Google Lehigh Defense.

Hogtamer
03-19-2022, 11:14 AM
Wolfdog, I’ve killed a bunch of hogs in my day, and as Castaway says I’ve never had one charge me. Had several where I had to get out of the way but that was because I just happened to be in the way of where they headed. On another note just because you’ve got the boolits doesn’t mean you can reload these days. Small pistol primers and most powders have gone extinct in these parts or online for that matter. I would put a sling on whatever 12 ga. shotgun you have, round up some OOs and call it good. Actually I’d call it better.

Bigslug
03-19-2022, 12:38 PM

NOE TL357-135RF, AKA Accurate Molds 3-135D, or the NOE SC 357-135RF if you want a standard lube groove.

This is one fired at 1030 fps fired out of my Glock 17, poking through the back side of the 9th water filled milk jug in the stack. Roughly about six feet of water.

Cast out of WW+2% and air cooled, they compress a little, but don't really expand. It's a good all-purpose bullet design for plinking reactive targets as well as what you have in mind.

mnewcomb59
03-19-2022, 02:02 PM

NOE TL357-135RF, AKA Accurate Molds 3-135D, or the NOE SC 357-135RF if you want a standard lube groove.

This is one fired at 1030 fps fired out of my Glock 17, poking through the back side of the 9th water filled milk jug in the stack. Roughly about six feet of water.

Cast out of WW+2% and air cooled, they compress a little, but don't really expand. It's a good all-purpose bullet design for plinking reactive targets as well as what you have in mind.

This is the Ranch Dog bullet I mentioned in my post above. Feeds like butter and seats relatively shallow in the case, Many of the 147 grain bullets need rock hard alloy and a special expander plug because the bullet seats so deep in the case and the brass resizes the bullet.

I recommend getting the gas check version of the mold unless you already have success loading plain base in 9mm. Since I bought the mold years ago I have learned how to make good plain base 9mm ammo so I am thinking about selling it to get the plain base version.

gwpercle
03-19-2022, 05:46 PM
The Ranch Dog NOE 135 gr. boolit looks like it would do well on game , 135 gr. weight and that large wide flat nose . My only concern would be feeding ... I would have to try a few before buying a mould .

Another would be the NOE 358-124-TC GC , it's 124 gr. weight isn't too heavy and leaves enough room for +1,000 fps velocity to be reached , the truncated cone nose feeds flawlessly in the 6 different 9mm Luger pistols I've worked with and with a gas check the 50-50 (soft lead - COWW air cooled) alloy I like can be used .
The gas check also helps seating boolits .
I haven't shot any hogs with it ...but I would if I didn't have my 41 Magnum .
Don't forget trees ... hogs can't climb very high !
Gary

Bigslug
03-19-2022, 07:07 PM
This is the Ranch Dog bullet I mentioned in my post above. Feeds like butter and seats relatively shallow in the case, Many of the 147 grain bullets need rock hard alloy and a special expander plug because the bullet seats so deep in the case and the brass resizes the bullet.

I recommend getting the gas check version of the mold unless you already have success loading plain base in 9mm. Since I bought the mold years ago I have learned how to make good plain base 9mm ammo so I am thinking about selling it to get the plain base version.

My conclusion on the whole "weight" thing is that you don't need as much of it if you plan to shoot bullets that don't expand. I think 147 grain jacketed is the only way to fly for a 9mm mushroom, but a slight reduction in mass doesn't hurt on a solid.

This forum has enough threads to coach one along on making plain bases work in a 9mm - life is to short to click on gas checks if you don't have to.

Bigslug
03-19-2022, 07:20 PM
The Ranch Dog NOE 135 gr. boolit looks like it would do well on game , 135 gr. weight and that large wide flat nose . My only concern would be feeding ... I would have to try a few before buying a mould . . .

Gary

I've run it successfully in multiple Glocks, a Springfield 1911, a P-Series Ruger, and a Ruger Carbine with the Glock magazine well installed, if any of that helps you spend money.:mrgreen:

The trick to round nose flat points in autos is to concoct a profile that presents only the sides of the bullet to contact with the feed ramp or top of the chamber as it enters and noses down, and also doesn't run into the mag-interface surface of the slide stop lever when it reaches the top of the mag.

The Ranch Dog .32, .380, and .45 bullets all play this game well. The LBT .452-230 LFN is awe-inspiring at it.

03-19-2022, 10:31 PM
I have been charged by a wounded pig. Hit w/ two .44 mags, it ran unaffected all over the place. No blood to trail, but we were able to gets glimpses of it here and there. Working up to it, it charged me like a freight train and fell to a double tap from my 10 mm right at my feet. The 10 was loaded heavy and made the pig do a straight head over heals to it's final resting place. I have no doubt your load will kill the pig, but it's a matter of how much time it will take. Use enough gun.

charlie b
03-20-2022, 09:55 PM
Bullet placement?

A hit to lungs/heart means the animal will go a ways. CNS shot is more timely but crushing a shoulder will slow them down a bit. Same as any self defense case.

If a 9mm penetrates enough, then it is "merely" shot placement. Easy to say, hard to do.

Elpatoloco
03-20-2022, 11:00 PM
I have literally taken hundreds of wild swine. They are not any tougher than a whitetail deer. Never been " Charged" or seen the Mythical "Armor plate" over their vitals. Some of the older boars will have a very heavy layer of gristle/fat. It wont stop a slug. Hogs taking multiple hits are not being hit correctly. I've had to move out of the way of several who were disoriented and fleeing, but they were not intentionally trying to run me over. 230 gr Rn out of a 45 is what I carry 99% of the time in a spare mag. When I hit the ranch road, the cast slugs go in the gun and self defense HPs come out.

405grain
03-21-2022, 12:01 AM
"Hogs taking multiple hits are not being hit correctly." I disagree. I remember one hunt in particular back in the mid 1980's in the hills west of Hopland. A friend named Tony and I were on the stalk of a herd of about a dozen pigs. Tony was carrying a 30-06 and I had a Super blackhawk with a ten and a half inch barrel. We heard the pigs from over a hundred yards out and crept up close on them. They were on the side of a canyon with a small creek in the bottom. We crested a little hill only 70 yards above them and were both laying prone. The wind was in our favor, and they didn't know we were there. Because Tony had a better chance of success with a scoped rifle we decided that he'd shoot first and I'd open fire after his first shot. Tony picked out a black furred razorback that looked to be about 150 pounds and at the shot it dropped like a sack of potatoes.

I'd sighted in on a smaller brown hog that was probably 100 pounds. Later investigation showed that my first shot took out both lungs and the top of it's heart. The pig instantly began squealing and spinning in a circle, pivoting around on it's right front leg. Thinking that I'd only broke it's leg, and that at any moment it was going to take off, I took another shot (which was hasty and not well aimed). The second shot hit it in the hip and it's hind legs collapsed under it. Then the pig saw me and what happened next was frightening.

That pig started to drag itself up the hill towards me with it's front legs. It's mouth was popping open and closed and it had a pretty good set of tusks. It was obvious from its demeanor that pigs only focus was to get to me and do me harm. I carefully lined up the sights and hit it right between the eyes at 30 or 35 yards. It was like a sledgehammer had hit it in the head, and momentarily it face planted that hog in the dirt. Then a couple of seconds later it came back to life, and once again began dragging itself up hill toward me with the same determination as before. This time I waited until it was within 25 yards, then once again shot it right in the forehead. This time the lifeless pig slid on it's side back down the hill and came to rest against a tree about 50 yards down the canyon.

That was an adrenaline rush that left me feeling shaken and even a little bit sick. I met back up with Tony and together we pulled his pig up the hill to a dirt road where I'd be able to bring up my truck. Then I said to Tony that we should go get my pig. To this he replied "I'm bushed. I need a break". And sat down on a stump to have a cigarette. (typical hunting buddy!) I decided to go and drag out my own pig. But, when I got back to the tree the pig was gone. Befuddled, I looked around for the pig and reloaded at the same time. After a few moments I spied the pig down at the bottom of the canyon beside the creek. It wasn't dead yet! It had somehow wiggled itself loose from the tree and slid the rest of the way down the side of the hill. When I walked up to it I could see that it was just barely breathing. From three feet away I aimed at the base of its ear and blew its brains out.

I shot that pig five times. Three of them were head shots. later on when we butchered that pig I found out that the first two shots to the head had only pealed the skin off it's skull. The bad shot that hit the pig in the hip had gone down the middle of its femur and lodged in its knee. The very first shot should have been a kill shot as it went through the left lung, the top of the heart, and the bottom of the right lung. From the time I opened fire until I dusted that pig off had to have been more than 15 minutes. Most often when I've shot a pig or a deer it just falls over dead, but this time it didn't.

BTW, after that hunt I started carrying a 30-06.

405grain
03-21-2022, 12:25 AM
297922 Remembering that hunt made me remember that I'd kept this slug all these years in a drawer out in the shop. This is the boolit that I dug out of that pigs knee.

popper
03-21-2022, 11:28 AM
I usually use the 40sw and hard alloy. 35-135S is my 9 mould for the XDs. Never had a fail to feed. Friend uses 115 fmj on hogs and takes a couple shots to stop them. Hit the snout on frontal shots otherwise you just give them a headache. You won't get a chest shot.

kevin c
03-21-2022, 11:55 AM
Wolfdog, you’re talking about defense against being charged by a hog you’ve suddenly encountered, where maybe you also are surprised and have to unlimber your firearm?

I’m no hunter, but I’d think my shot placement in such circumstances might suck and might plan on carrying a caliber that depends less on precise placement to be an effective stopper.

popper
03-21-2022, 05:36 PM
135gr 9mm and 165gr 40sw end up about the same energy (350# - my loads), same dia. You could get the conversion to 40sw. I carry XDs 9 with the 135 in the woods, not concerned. I did shoot a 150ish hog in rear (from 20yrds) with the 165 40sw load, went through rear and exited throat, broke a leg and it ran another 100 yds. 9mm in the spine and they fall over and kick the legs. Yup, I'd worry more about getting a shot off than trying to swing a long gun in the brush. I think you're OK but go for the heavier 130ish mold. I PC but never got new pistol moulds - they still work PCd. Neither are GCd.

nockhunter
03-21-2022, 07:03 PM
The 147gr Buffalo bore bullet was used to stop a grizzly.
https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=389

Mike

Castaway
03-21-2022, 07:26 PM
Just because it’s been done doesn’t mean it’s the best way to do it. For pistol carry, my faith is in a big bore revolver with a heavy cast bullet with a large meplat.

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/06/bella-twin-the-22-used-to-take-the-1953-world-record-grizzly-and-more/#axzz7ODNBvQrh

charlie b
03-22-2022, 08:30 AM
Whatever you pick, make sure you can shoot it quickly and accurately under stress.

W.R.Buchanan
03-22-2022, 03:31 PM
I'd do as Hogtamer said above and go with a 12 ga. shotgun with or slugs. He's got more experience with tis type of thing than most of us combined.

Nothing is going to live thru a hit by a 12 ga. slug. and carrying a Short (18" ) Shotgun with a Sling set up Cross body is not hard to do.

Plus that you'd have the confidence of knowing you are just about invincible !!! That's got to be worth something.

That said,,, I'd still have my S&W 696 .44 Spec on my side just in case.

Randy

dondiego
03-22-2022, 06:49 PM
He has a 9MM and that is what he intends to carry. I would use the heaviest solid slug that works well. Haven't heard of many hog mauling deaths lately but it could happen.

ACC
03-22-2022, 09:06 PM
Any recommendations? End up being in thick stuff alot and usually carry my Sig P320 9mm for something to keep the hogs back when I get charged at. Looking at getting a mold due to ammo prices and would like some that would be good for the purpose.

I usually hunt hogs with a .357 Mag or my 7.62X39. But once I was out at the place checking for cattle rustlers and came upon a pretty big Boar Hog that was not at all happy that I disturbed him from his slumber. All I had on me was my S&W Model 59 in 9mm. One shot with a 124 grain hard cast bullet between the shoulders took him out and fed some orphans down the road.

ACC

Wolfdog91
03-22-2022, 09:50 PM
Wolfdog, you’re talking about defense against being charged by a hog you’ve suddenly encountered, where maybe you also are surprised and have to unlimber your firearm?

I’m no hunter, but I’d think my shot placement in such circumstances might suck and might plan on carrying a caliber that depends less on precise placement to be an effective stopper.So what usually happens is I'm in some thick brush I'm mean thick stuff running old fence lines following cow paths ect. Usually it's too thick for a rifle or shotgun to be much use at all. Usually what happens is I'll be bushwhacking and jump one from where they where sleeping. 9/10 times they go the opposite direction but ive had time where they come right at me and this is with me having 30' in between us and their usually covering a good bit of that by the time it registers what's going on . I wear my sig in a leather slip in holster so I can just pull it out no problem. This isn't about me trying to drop them in there tracks or kill them I'm just trying to turn them and thats usually snap shooting a putting three or so rounds at them . Larger bore pistols are fine if I have some time to actually line up and make the shot count but just from experience that just doesn't happen alot. In pine plantation yes, but these thick thick places I'm in alot ,no. All my shooting with larger cal revolver and the like just ,egh. Again if I can get that first one on target great but after that first shot it takes alot longer for me to recover and get somewhat lined back up for another shot.
Now if I'm actually out dispatching Hog in traps and the like fmjs and head shots have always done a good job. If I'm actually hunting hogs , its 7.62x39 HP's and spinal shots all day long.
Honestly the reason I'm asking is because I'm looking at casting for my 9mm so I can practice more and I just wanted something that would pull a decent double duty.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Wolfdog91
03-22-2022, 09:53 PM
Whatever you pick, make sure you can shoot it quickly and accurately under stress.Main reason I'm partial to my Sig. It just plain works for me, points like a dream ,low recoil,fits my hands well and I can shoot it with some speed and still keep pretty decent accuracy

Wolfdog91
03-22-2022, 10:03 PM
If it helps make sense this what I'm dealing with many times it does open up more alot but this kinda stuff is where I jump the most .and I'll tell ya I've tried carrying both a SKS and a 870 full of 00buck and it looks good but unless you don't have a chain saw in one hand and you can keep it at low ready the whole time you walking it gets old really really quick. Not to mention trying to un sling it in time and get it ready to shoothttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220323/e8f89c05d01a8b763a9b78e022e6c85e.jpg

poppy42
03-22-2022, 10:43 PM
Everybody’s got their own hog stories! All I can say is that in the 20+ years I lived in Florida I had an awful lot of pork barbecues! 99% of the hogs were taken with a 22lr!! As someone stated above, i’ve never seen the mythical grizzle plate protecting the vitals. The only time I was ever charged is when the hog was cornered. Don’t get me wrong they have cutters that can shred you or a dog if they get a hold of you. But, they are no harder to harvest than a white tail! Although I would definitely not hunt deer with a 22, hogs are a little different, we always had dogs so tracking was never a problem. As a matter of fact a lot of times the dogs would track, then anchor the hog allowing us to dispatch, or in one case drag the hog back to the truck. I brought that hog to a pen and grain feed it for a mouth before butchering. Shot placement is the key! Your 9 should be fine, as log as you can hit what your aiming at.

Rapier
03-23-2022, 08:46 AM
Wolfdog,
You can use the 357 bullets in a 9mm, 355 VS 357, you may need to adjust the OAL to feed correctly. I built a 9 Major gun for IPSC when the Major met the IPSC rules. I used a supported chamber barrel, which makes a different ball game.. Added a heavy bullet, 160grains RN cast, bullets used for a 38 Super hard cast.
If your Sig has a ramped barrel, the option to increase pressure is not really there.

popper
03-24-2022, 10:48 AM
My sig and XD are compacts and I like WST, faster follow up shots. Still get good fps, complete powder burn. 231 works OK but longer recoil. Easy to carry in the woods and would do the job.
This is 231, WST is pretty much the same but faster follow. 135gr PB XDs. P938 shoots the same.

KCcactus
03-27-2022, 11:12 AM
So far, the only pigs I've had charge me are ones that were in my trap. They move amazingly fast with a lot of power. I mostly hunt them from a blind, but have walked up on them a few times. If you use a heart/lung shot, odds are they are going to run. I double lunged one that ran over a 1/4 mile before dropping. I found it a month later by the smell. The 6.8 spc j-word passed through and broke the spine of the one standing behind it. They are pretty much self-sealing between their hide and layer of fat. If you have the time, a neck shot is the way to go for an instant drop.

The ones on our place will growl at you when they think you are too close. It's not very loud and sounds odd, but it does give some warning. I was hunting shed antlers with my kids and we kept hearing a strange noise. We finally figured out it when we saw the pigs. Didn't shoot, but I was really glad I had a rifle with me. One or two usually guard the rear while the rest run off.

If I was going to use a 9mm for pig defense, I would want something fairly heavy with a flat point that still feeds 100%. I put down a group of 14 50-125 lb pigs in my trap with Lee 125gr rnfp of range lead out of a 20" Rossi 357 using 4.8 gr Unique. I was shooting from above them from about 15 ft. It was amazing how much damage a fairly slow flat point did.

David2011
03-27-2022, 06:50 PM
I made the mistake of shooting a large sow in the head with a 50 grain V-Max. It stunned her and we thought she was dead. Without warning as we approached her and saw that she was breathing my buddy shot her 4 times with his .17 HMR revolver at about 15 yards. I was carrying a Blackhawk in .45 Colt with stiff loads but didn’t get the opportunity to use it. She jumped up and charged us. All I could do was flick the safety off and fire the AR from the hip. It was scoped with a 10X scope; pretty useless at that distance. Fortunately a fatal shot found its way home and she dropped a few feet short of us. The whole event didn’t take 3 seconds.

I’ve shot lots of hogs before and after that incident but no more with an AR-15. A different bullet would make all the difference but my trusty 6.5x55 has never required a second shot.