PDA

View Full Version : Alright who's got primers in stock?

Wolfdog91
03-18-2022, 05:33 PM
Even at $75 a thousand its better for me to reload then to pay what I'm paying for loaded at the store.
50rd of fmj $26 bucks https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220318/884e59281a47f6f501f09f5a0575c928.jpglocal

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Finster101
03-18-2022, 05:39 PM
There is no rhyme or reason as to may have primers on any given day. I just go through and check all my usual sources.

Gator 45/70
03-18-2022, 05:49 PM
Who's got primers:violin::shock::shock::popcorn::popcorn: The CCI's 209's I saw yesterday

$95.99 per brick

elmacgyver0
03-18-2022, 06:12 PM
Who's got primers:violin::shock::shock::popcorn::popcorn: The CCI's 209's I saw yesterday

$95.99 per brick

Cheaper than they were, but over three times their worth.

slownsteady22
03-18-2022, 06:19 PM
I haven't seen any in stock, anywhere for awhile. So when you find them let me know too!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Shawlerbrook
03-18-2022, 06:19 PM
I would guess that the situation that’s going on in Ukraine will at least put a damper on any supply recovery. The fact that they are using many and also Russia is a big raw material supplier.

Pereira
03-18-2022, 06:28 PM
The only place within a 50 mile radius of me that's had any, they were $99.99 per 1000 + .0975% tax.
They were still there when I left. That was 3+ weeks ago I believe.

RP

MUSTANG
03-18-2022, 06:38 PM
Extremely High Price - Plus will need Shipping and Hazmat fees. Lohman Arms has CCI #34 Large Rifle Primers at $129.99 per thousand plus Shipping and Hazmat. https://lohmanarms.com/product-category/reloading-supplies/reloading-primers/?instock_products=in

r4322W05
03-18-2022, 06:55 PM
We need to remember that primers are made of nickel and copper...metals that are in high demand by the building, automotive, and electronics industries. When you see your kids playing video games, blame them.

Bmi48219
03-18-2022, 07:26 PM
Even at $75 a thousand its better for me to reload then to pay what I'm paying for loaded at the store.
50rd of fmj $26 bucks…

Good luck finding primers for $75 / 1,000 without hazmat and shipping added. More like $95 if you find them.

imashooter2
03-18-2022, 07:33 PM
50rd of fmj $26 bucks https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220318/884e59281a47f6f501f09f5a0575c928.jpglocal

It’s pretty easy to find cases of 115 grain FMJ under 40 cents each delivered right now. 52 cents is painful.

Edit: Ammoman has 4 different brass case 115 grain under 40 cents per and he is rarely the lowest cost vendor.

MUSTANG
03-18-2022, 07:43 PM
Price of copper on 15 December was $4.18 (Low for last 6 month period). Current price today was $4.70. Only a 11% increase (Due to War in Ukraine and Russia Sanctions).

March 16th 2020 was the Copper Price Low for the last 5 years on copper at $2.16. That is a 217% increase in almost exactly 2 years.

April 10th, 2017 (five years ago) was during the Trump Presidency. Copper was at $2.17. CCI #34 Large Rifle Primers were at about $27.50 per 1000 in 2017 (I know this because I ran across a Receipt for same today).

Nickel only sky rocketed in price the last month because of the Russia/Ukraine war.

Bottom Line - Nickel and Coper prices are NOT the cause of Primer Shortages and price increase of 200% to 500%.

DCB
03-18-2022, 07:57 PM
Local gun shop has a fair selection of primers. I picked up a 1000 Rem. 9 1/2 today for $85. i have heard a lot of reasons why they are so hi.
None of it makes any sense. Now I was told its because of transportation cost?
I think we are being GOUGED at every level.

AlHunt
03-18-2022, 08:07 PM
https://ammoseek.com/reloading/primers

I check when I'm in the market, usually watch for Brownell's to have stock. Cost is high, but the choice is don't shoot.

imashooter2
03-18-2022, 08:39 PM
https://ammoseek.com/reloading/primers

I check when I'm in the market, usually watch for Brownell's to have stock. Cost is high, but the choice is don't shoot.

Those company names reek of scam…

GhostHawk
03-18-2022, 09:14 PM
Was in my Local Mills Fleet Farm last week looking at fishing stuff.

Walked by the gun counter and there was a guy there, smiling friendly, asked if he could help me with anything.

I asked if he had any primers? His face fell, then he admitted they were totally out, and when they do get some in price is likely to be 75 to 90$ a thousand.

I smiled and said I have powder and primers stashed. Wish I had more primers but I'm ok for a long while yet.

Did not say that I had switching virtually all of my shooting over to Airguns and pellets at about 1.64 cents a round.

Targa
03-18-2022, 09:27 PM
Gunbroker has them if your willing to pay $200

fastdadio
03-18-2022, 09:46 PM

They are, I checked. I don't think Ammo Seek is vetting their listed vendors. Buyer beware. These scam sites are very convincing. If an unknown listed vendor doesn't show an address, don't buy from them. If they do list an address, look it up on Google street view to make sure it's a legit address. Some of the addresses I've looked up have been vacant buildings, nonexistent addresses, slums in New Jersey, and other type commercial buildings that have other non firearm related businesses in them.

454PB
03-18-2022, 11:45 PM
I visited a gun shop that I've used for 40+ years today. The owner (that I've known since he started this business in his home) told me he had received several pallets of primers, which he sold without restrictions until he saw that he had more bullets than primers. He then restricted the number of primers you can buy to the same number of bullets you bought. This seems like a really fair way to do it as well as a logical way to do it. He said primers are about $40 per brick using this method.

I noticed he had about 10 one pound containers of powder on the shelf, and asked if he had more. There was a sign mounted under the powder that said maximum purchase is 2 pounds. Prices were around $30 per pound. He said he received 500 pounds of powder about 2 weeks ago, and what I saw was all he had left.

Over the years I've purchased many guns from this guy, and a lot of components, and I will continue to do so. He's the fairest dealer I know.

Travisbishop
03-19-2022, 05:18 AM
I piled up primers back when for $10 a brick when you bough a 10,000 case. Surplus powder was $1 to $2 a pound when you bought 32 pound cases. Surplus brass and bullets were cheap by the bucket. Now, I'm using that stuff. Guy at the range the other day was offering $300 a brick for my small pistol primers. Told him I'm not interested in selling any.It's unbelievable what this whole mess has turned into. I'm just sticking around to see what kind of nonsense they cook up next. Everytime I look at the TV, there's some idiot yammering away about some crap or other. Then you look at the bunch in DC... The top 3 in charge of the free world... Biden, Camel Toe, and Pelosi. A child sniffer that wakes up in a different world everyday. A cackling moron that can't walk and chew gum at the same time, and an essentially brain dead meat sack has been that can't seem to remember anything beyond the Reagan years. But, I will say, the entertainment value of watching these imbeciles trying to complete a coherent sentence is worth the price of admission

Handloader109
03-19-2022, 05:04 PM
I piled up primers back when for $10 a brick when you bough a 10,000 case. Surplus powder was $1 to $2 a pound when you bought 32 pound cases. Surplus brass and bullets were cheap by the bucket. Now, I'm using that stuff. Guy at the range the other day was offering $300 a brick for my small pistol primers. Told him I'm not interested in selling any.It's unbelievable what this whole mess has turned into. I'm just sticking around to see what kind of nonsense they cook up next. Everytime I look at the TV, there's some idiot yammering away about some crap or other. Then you look at the bunch in DC... The top 3 in charge of the free world... Biden, Camel Toe, and Pelosi. A child sniffer that wakes up in a different world everyday. A cackling moron that can't walk and chew gum at the same time, and an essentially brain dead meat sack has been that can't seem to remember anything beyond the Reagan years. But, I will say, the entertainment value of watching these imbeciles trying to complete a coherent sentence is worth the price of admissionNow would you REALLY tell us how you feel about those three great politicians? [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

elmacgyver0
03-19-2022, 05:35 PM
I piled up primers back when for $10 a brick when you bough a 10,000 case. Surplus powder was $1 to $2 a pound when you bought 32 pound cases. Surplus brass and bullets were cheap by the bucket. Now, I'm using that stuff. Guy at the range the other day was offering $300 a brick for my small pistol primers. Told him I'm not interested in selling any.It's unbelievable what this whole mess has turned into. I'm just sticking around to see what kind of nonsense they cook up next. Everytime I look at the TV, there's some idiot yammering away about some crap or other. Then you look at the bunch in DC... The top 3 in charge of the free world... Biden, Camel Toe, and Pelosi. A child sniffer that wakes up in a different world everyday. A cackling moron that can't walk and chew gum at the same time, and an essentially brain dead meat sack has been that can't seem to remember anything beyond the Reagan years. But, I will say, the entertainment value of watching these imbeciles trying to complete a coherent sentence is worth the price of admission

You are a lot easier on these clowns than I would be.
I don't go to football games, but if I did, I would be shouting something a little stronger than, Let's go Brandon.

Pereira
03-19-2022, 06:56 PM
You are a lot easier on these clowns than I would be.
I don't go to football games, but if I did, I would be shouting something a little stronger than, Let's go Brandon.

Well the original chant was a bit Stronger, it was a, critiqued a bit.[smilie=l:

RP

armoredman
03-19-2022, 07:01 PM
Local CAL Ranch got a SMALL shipment in, two sleeves of 100 of each type per person, but they refuse to gouge - $5.99 per sleeve. I got my maximum of LRM and SRP in the two days it took them to run dry again...

Wolfdog91
03-19-2022, 07:07 PM
Boy if I had a dollar for every post i see of people talking about their stockpiles..

armoredman
03-19-2022, 07:36 PM
Boy if I had a dollar for every post i see of people talking about their stockpiles..

Which would you like? I have beef, pork and chicken stock - made a heck of a nice soup last night with beef stock, tons of veggies and some nice diced SPAM...seriously.

Anything else, I have no stock in trade. ;)

Ickisrulz
03-19-2022, 07:41 PM
I see PSA has 9mm steel cased ammo for 34 cents/round and brass cased for 36 cents/round. Considering that primers are running close to 10 cents/each, and then you'd need to use whatever power and lead you have on hand, buying factory ammo seems to make sense. I'd get the brass cased stuff so I'd be able to reload it when times get better (how much does once fired 9mm brass go for now?). Plus, think about all the time you'd save.

fastdadio
03-20-2022, 08:03 AM
I see PSA has 9mm steel cased ammo for 34 cents/round and brass cased for 36 cents/round. Considering that primers are running close to 10 cents/each, and then you'd need to use whatever power and lead you have on hand, buying factory ammo seems to make sense. I'd get the brass cased stuff so I'd be able to reload it when times get better (how much does once fired 9mm brass go for now?). Plus, think about all the time you'd save.

^^^ This ^^^ I just bought another case of the 'cheap' Ruski stuff. .33 cents/rd dropped on my porch. If it's still available next month, I may buy another. I've never reloaded for the 9mm. Mostly because I'm not a volume shooter of it, and historically, the price was right on the edge of not making it viable to do so. This stuff isn't reloadable anyway, so I don't feel bad tossing the cases. The way things are going, this may be the new normal, or worse, when it's gone, it's gone. It could be the new currency. Crazy times we're in right now. I don't know where this is going, so I'm stacking it while I can. The worst thing that can happen is I get stuck with a couple thousand rds of cheap 9mm.
Edit;
Well maybe that's not the worst thing that can happen, but let's not go there.
Love you guys.... Carry on.

Cosmic_Charlie
03-20-2022, 08:51 AM
The danger is that something could happen domestically that would cause the shortages to start all over again. I made 4 trips to the lgs last week for large pistol primers. Could only buy 200 a day. So i got 800 before than ran out. Nine cents each plus tax.......

Finster101
03-20-2022, 09:04 AM
I have not found anything locally, but to be honest reloading stuff in general is in poor supply and offerings around me so most of my stuff is online ordering. The price for shipping is high enough that I will not purchase when limited to 1K. If I can't get at least 2K it's just not worth it. Luckily the only thing I have needed has been SRPs and I don't go through a ton of them.

Stacts
03-22-2022, 01:51 PM
Got my first reloading press late last year and haven't been able to load a single round because no one has primers in stock. It sucks...

imashooter2
03-22-2022, 03:02 PM
It is a tough time to be trying to break into the game. I feel for you.

Shawlerbrook
03-22-2022, 03:19 PM
Agreed ! I can’t imagine starting from scratch in these crazy times. This shortage, disruption or whatever you want to call feels different than previous blips. This one will end up being years longer and change everything forever. And unfortunately, I don’t think we are even close to dependable supply.

imashooter2
03-22-2022, 05:05 PM
It does feel different. The previous shortages all had a specific thing you could point to as root cause. This one… The current state of affairs is very concerning.

elmacgyver0
03-22-2022, 05:23 PM
Well the original chant was a bit Stronger, it was a, critiqued a bit.[smilie=l:

RP

I would be using the original chant, but with a bullhorn.
Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Pereira
03-22-2022, 05:52 PM
Go to youtube and just type in Let's go Brandon, should be the first video to show up.
It was at a Nascar race.

RP

fastdadio
03-22-2022, 08:03 PM
Sportsmans super store has CCI #34 in stock....For the super gouging price of $ 2 hundred a thousand. I got an e-mail from them today for being on their wait list for primers to be in stock. I mailed them back and told them to stuff 'em. I will never buy a thing from this company.
https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/126094?utm_source=notification&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Product%20Notification%20Email

AlHunt
03-22-2022, 09:25 PM
Got my first reloading press late last year and haven't been able to load a single round because no one has primers in stock. It sucks...

Watch ammoseek.com for primers. Brownells and Midway show up occasionally for 80 to 100 bucks per 1000. I've bought quite a few since 2020.

The advantage of ammoseek is it saves you from having to troll each item on each site. If Brownells has CCI SPP (or whatever) in stock, it shows at a glance and you go buy them.

Good luck!

gc45
03-22-2022, 10:24 PM
I have thousands and more thousands of large and small rifle primers, but NO pistol primers, so I know how everyone without primers is feeling; now, if I wanted to just shoot rifles I'd feel real good, same as all those guys having tons of pistol primers feel. We are getting screwed royal and I blame Obama, Biden and much of corp america for it as they have sold us out to the Ashkenazi one world order folks....

sledgehammer001
03-23-2022, 04:28 AM
Pricey, but available. About $165/1k to your door. Cheaper if your buying in quantity. I've chatted with a few reloaders on gun group sites that say they're good primers.
https://zincpoint.com/ammo-components/small-pistol-primers-1000-ct/
And Powder Valley still shows in-stock as of 1:00 a.m. (March 23)

remy3424
03-23-2022, 07:55 AM
If you had a dollar for every post of someone bawling over the prices that didn't buy them while they were plentiful & cheap after the last shortage, you would have a much larger pile of cash. Hard to grasp how this happened to so many on this site....blame yourselves if you couldn't see this coming. Most for the components being produced now will be going into loaded ammo until that demand is satisfied by the non-reloaders. We are now seeing all types of ammo showing back on the shelves, so ammo hoarders seem to have their appetites covered. Components will be coming, but the prices will be high as reloaders try to stock-pile at the wrong time...be patient if you can. I don't think we will see sub $30 prices again, would guess sub $50 will be the normal in a couple years.

GhostHawk
03-23-2022, 07:58 AM
I suspect you won't see many sub 50$ primers. Might see some sub 80's.

AlHunt
03-23-2022, 05:48 PM
Hard to grasp how this happened to so many on this site....blame yourselves if you couldn't see this coming.

Personally, I do blame myself. I much preferred buying a thousand primers when I needed them. Bit me in the ass and I've paid the price to build inventory.

I'm still allowed to complain that I don't like it. If prices ever hit rational again, I'll be buying by the truckload.

LaPoint
03-23-2022, 10:23 PM
I just bought a thousand Federal Champion SPP for $69.99 today from Running's farm & fleet. They also had CCI SPP as well as a few large and small rifle. I believe they also had large pistol primers. Labor day weekend I was in Mankato, MN and the Scheel's about at least 50 bricks (1000) of small rifle primers for $49.99. Primers are starting to show up, slowly. Powder is not as plentiful. The Running's that I bought the primers from today had a few 1# containers of several different powders. I didn't see anything I couldn't live without.

Jim22
03-24-2022, 04:53 PM

Worked for me.

Jim

1I-Jack
03-25-2022, 11:51 AM
Went to the local Ranch & Home yesterday and they had both large and small rifle primers for $6.99/100 + the governors gouge. Primers are now hidden behind the gun counter so you don't know that they have them unless you ask. Considering the cost online is running $70+/1000 plus shipping and hazmat, $7/100 isn't such a bad deal. Bought the limit of 2 each. With Vista announcing their rate increases I figure that it'll be a Looooooonnng time before prices around here are even remotely close to what I used to consider "normal".

shooterg
03-28-2022, 07:15 PM
Last 2 shows I hit $100/1000 was lowest and most were asking more. Hope to be wrong but I'm thinking they will not drop below $75 - IF they drop !

imashooter2
03-28-2022, 07:23 PM
Worked for me.

Jim
You bought and had product delivered?

remy3424
03-28-2022, 07:29 PM
Read a couple posts above yours...you were wrong before you even posted.

AlHunt
03-28-2022, 07:33 PM
You bought and had product delivered?

You're not asking me, but I've done business with Sportsmans Fullfillment that shows up from time to time, just not primers. If a person isn't comfortable with unknown companies, Brownell's and Midway show up from time to time.

fatelk
03-28-2022, 08:04 PM
If we get back to a point where supply catches up with demand, and they're readily available on retail shelves, I would predict $40-$50/k at the cheap stores. That's just a guess based on historical prices, inflation, market forces, supply/demand, etc..

During the Obama years, the cost of .22lr ammo was high, and many were saying it would never come back down, that $40-$50 per brick was the "new normal" forever. Well, during the 2-3 year reprieve we got several years ago, I was buying it all day long for $15-$20 per brick. When demand exceeds supply, the sky is the limit for prices. When supply catches up, prices inevitably fall. If product sits on the shelf too long, manufacturers go broke, so they will want to lower prices at least to a point where they can still make a profit. Hopefully there will be another time in the future where we get to that point.

VariableRecall
03-29-2022, 03:02 AM
If you had a dollar for every post of someone bawling over the prices that didn't buy them while they were plentiful & cheap after the last shortage, you would have a much larger pile of cash. Hard to grasp how this happened to so many on this site....blame yourselves if you couldn't see this coming. Most for the components being produced now will be going into loaded ammo until that demand is satisfied by the non-reloaders. We are now seeing all types of ammo showing back on the shelves, so ammo hoarders seem to have their appetites covered. Components will be coming, but the prices will be high as reloaders try to stock-pile at the wrong time...be patient if you can. I don't think we will see sub $30 prices again, would guess sub $50 will be the normal in a couple years.

To be frank at the end of the last shortage I was in High School and my family didn't have any firearms, and during the pre-2008 "good ol days" I was far too young to appreciate let alone know what reloading was.

When I had some general knowledge of reloading, well before I owned my own firearm, I had been living a college life not really "literate" in the pricing and availability of various components, and I was expecting to begin reloading once I was out of college as an additional source of ammo. I had no clue that the events of those next couple years would reverse the situation entirely.
I'd started owning firearms and reloading at around late 2020, and it has been very challenging to get even the most basic stuff. Every bit of assistance from this forum has been very precious to me. I've had to pay around $80 to $100 a brick plus hazmat for what I can find. I know that's far from what it should be in terms of price, but it's a better fate than paying 80c a round for something as basic and common as .38 Special.

threett1
03-31-2022, 09:25 AM
Neighbor has been cleaning out a storage unit. Gave me 5k primers yesterday of various flavors. A good day.

reddog81
03-31-2022, 01:35 PM
I was at a Sherwin Williams store the other day. They had a variety of primers for sale and in stock... I should have taken a picture for this thread.

remy3424
03-31-2022, 03:15 PM
I was at a Sherwin Williams store the other day. They had a variety of primers for sale and in stock... I should have taken a picture for this thread.

Now that is funny!

Stacts
04-15-2022, 01:06 PM
Just wanted to thank this community for its recommendation of Ammoseek. I have been able to secure primers and begin reloading.