PDA

View Full Version : GC or no GC 7.62X39 SKS

PDshooter
01-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Shooting the Lee 312-155-2R will I give-up accuracy with reduce loads with 16Gr of 2400 loads not using a gas check?:confused:
I use a gas check with 26grs of IMR-4895.......Thanks

superior
01-21-2009, 06:17 PM
While the load you mention is a reduced velocity load when compared to the standard military cartridge, It is considered a max pressure load and will more than likely need a gas check.
In fact, it may be better for you to build up to that load rather than starting at 16 grains. Read the sticky by Ed Harris on cast bullets in military cartridges for more info. Good luck!

missionary5155
01-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Greetings Pdshooter.... I live in Danville when up that way
We have had a flock of SKS over the years and have shot a lot of this Boolit with NO GC usibg WW and around 17 gr ACC 1680. We start a new rifle at 15 gr and work up until the action will function then add .5 grain. Chunk Chunk Chunk...
Accuracy will go tin can at 50 yards. No Leading and no GC.
Put a receiver sight on mine and it is alot easier and faster to pick up targets. Bowling pins at 100 yards is alot of fun.
God Bless you

FAsmus
01-24-2009, 08:17 PM
PdShooter;

Yes is the answer- you will definitely loose accuracy with no check on the Lee bullet and certainly so since the level of 2400 you specifiy is pretty much high working pressure in the little case anyway.

If low speed, low pressure short range loads that essentially will not operate the action are your goal get a nice old DC Lyman 311466 on eBay, size it (size on the check) at 0.314 and load it to 2.200 over all length over a moderate load of 700X, say about 5 or 6 grains.

Load into the case as sized in a Lee neck sizer die, forget about chasing brass all over the range for the rest of your life and forget about battering the cases (as happens in full power loads) such that they (pretty soon) won't even fit into the shell holder!

Good evening,
Forrest

VintageRifle
01-24-2009, 11:26 PM
I did a cast bullet test today with a RCBS 130gr 7.62mm bullet sized .314. My chrony battery died partly due to cold weather and partly due to me needing a new battery so I was only able to get one reading.

With 15gr of 2400 under the 130gr bullet, the action would not cycle in a Yugo M59/66. The reading I got before my Low Battery Alert came on was 1918fps. This was a gas checked bullet lubed with LLA and cast with wheel weight alloy water quenched from the mould.

I did not expect this load to clock this fast.

http://vintagerifle.net/images/targets/YugoM59:66130grRCBS15gr2400.jpg
Best group of my cast bullet testing. I used a portable shooting bench and the front rest started to get loose before I did my testing. Didn't catch it until too late. First groups looked horrible. However, once the front was correctly stabilized, I was happy with the groups.