PDA

View Full Version : WIN 94 aftermarket large loop lever problem

roysha
03-16-2022, 02:18 PM
I received this lever from a vendor on ebay. After discovering the problem, I contacted him and was basically told that since I had installed it, he will not accept a return since it is "used". I guess I could cause a big fuss and probably get my money back but would rather just try to make the lever work. The 94 is a post 64 model.

When I installed the lever, it fit VERY loosely in the link, so much so that it misses the trigger stop unless I consciously pull the lever over to make sure it contacts the trigger stop. I could shim the lever in the link, I suppose, but I have some concern about doing that because it is a slot, not just a round hole, and I can only shim .030".

Can I heat the lever and bend it a wee bit, so it properly contacts the trigger stop? I can refinish the lever so the discoloration from the heating is no big deal. It appears to be steel, a magnet sticks to it, but I just don't know and although I have a rather unsatisfactory part, it is at least more or less usable. If it is some sort of material that does not lend itself to that procedure, and I try to heat and bend and it breaks or cracks or melts, then I am totally screwed.

Any thoughts or perhaps other ideas for a remedy?

pietro
03-16-2022, 02:51 PM

IMO, bending the lever as you suggested, off the gun, should work - I've done it successfully with a standard lever (on a post-64)

Bazoo
03-16-2022, 03:25 PM
I’d try shimming it first. While the hole in the lever is oblong, the pin doesn’t move in the link, and neither will the shims. Long as the edge of the shim doesn’t catch on the levers oblong hole and I don’t see how it could.

HWooldridge
03-16-2022, 03:32 PM
If it is steel, you can probably tweak it cold using the right bending tools. If it's some type of cast material, any type of stress might make it break.

The shimming method might be best as a start.

elmacgyver0
03-16-2022, 03:51 PM
I would go with Bazoo, shim it to get the play out it then go from there.
If you do have to bend it be very careful.

Castaway
03-16-2022, 06:27 PM
Was it advertised to fit? I found one vendor and he advertised pre/post 64. Are all levers the same on a 94 or do different years have a variance in dimensions? If different in different years and not stated, I’d do a zinger eBay feedback comment. If the same, see above solution because it didn’t fit

fixit
03-17-2022, 02:56 PM
Is there enough metal at the hinge point to drill and bush the hole? I'm not a fan of oblong and oval holes. If you're comfortable with such, it could even be worthwhile to have have it welded up and redrilled, if such can be done without weakening the overall structure.

roysha
03-17-2022, 07:43 PM
This is the slot I'm talking about. It pretty much needs to be what it is, to be able to operate the rifle.

For what it's worth, I was able to cold bend it enough, so it reliably contacts the trigger stop. Although it looks a tad goofy when the gun is held upside down because of the slight bit of angle to the lever relative to the centerline of the rifle, it works, so for the time being it will have to be satisfactory. This is just a whim so I doubt I will be making it permanent.

samari46
03-18-2022, 11:54 PM
I've a few 1894 Winchesters and none of the levers have that for want of a better term "dimple" just in front of the elongated slot. can't get to where they are stored, but from memory it's a straight piece of machined metal. I'm thinking that your's may be a casting. Could be wrong. If casting would be concerned about bending it. If machined maybe not so much. Frank