PDA

View Full Version : Got the Trapdoor & Henry out in the range

Sig556r
03-16-2022, 11:04 AM
Shot my 2 45-70 single shots yesterday using RL7 & Trailboss behind PC boolits (RCBS 45-300RF, 457124, 457125 & Lee 500g) loaded to mid trapdoor levels.
Was worried about the old 1873, but it held up with the new Henry. Not bad for an antique carbine. Don't wanna push it to lever levels, but do I?

Der Gebirgsjager
03-16-2022, 11:37 AM
Awww......no photos?

DG

Sig556r
03-16-2022, 08:06 PM
Awww......no photos?

DG

There you go...

Der Gebirgsjager
03-17-2022, 12:16 PM
That's a nice pair of shootin' irons. I've never handled or shot a Henry single shot, but have some experience with the trapdoors. I've seen them loaded up to the point that when fired the door would fly open. Definitely a bit hot, I would think, but at the same time sort of a failsafe device.

I like the idea of single shot rifles, as the shooter has to make the shot count, and that fact is a great teacher of marksmanship. A pawn shop I frequent currently has a replica Sharps in .45-70 for sale in very nice condition for a bit over $2,000, but I think I'll leave it there.

DG

Sig556r
03-17-2022, 02:30 PM
That's a nice pair of shootin' irons. I've never handled or shot a Henry single shot, but have some experience with the trapdoors. I've seen them loaded up to the point that when fired the door would fly open. Definitely a bit hot, I would think, but at the same time sort of a failsafe device.

I like the idea of single shot rifles, as the shooter has to make the shot count, and that fact is a great teacher of marksmanship. A pawn shop I frequent currently has a replica Sharps in .45-70 for sale in very nice condition for a bit over $2,000, but I think I'll leave it there.

DG

The trapdoor was I think originally a rifle dated 1873 but was sporterized in an attempt to "carbinize"" to cavalry version, so I got it for only 4 clams (asking 5.5)...shot some mid-range trapdoor loads after shooting some trailboss & it held up plus no leading.
The Henry was on-sale at Primary Arms when I was visiting, so it came home with me...I've loaded it hot (lower tier Ruger#1), thus, the shoulder pad.
Both are fun to shoot until your shoulder bruises.