PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 41 owners....

msp2640
01-21-2009, 04:50 PM
I'm also toying with the idea of picking up a Marlin in 41 Mag, but am wondering for those that have one and load CB's for it, will it chamber/ cycle the action of rounds loaded with a Lyman 410459 or 410610? Wondering before I go forward with the moulds I have on hand will work.....I did miss out on th Group Buy RN mould that was just offered. Just looking for help - Thanks guys - Bill L

missionary5155
01-21-2009, 05:10 PM
Good afternoon
I bought my Marlin about 6 years ago used but hardly shot. It would not cycle any SWC shape. I finally got out the Dremel and "opened " the chamber mouth.. especialy the lower lip. Then polished where I had removed metal. Last I shot it it would cycle my Lee 210 grain and a RCBS 225 gr swc.... I also have bought a 185 RN that I will use for CAS.
Other than the feeding challenge it shoots nicely with .411+ sized WW boolits as fast as I have gone (1400 fps).
God Bless you. Mike

msp2640
01-21-2009, 06:06 PM
Thanks Mike - I saw your reply on the other 41 post and it got me thinking about the two boolits I mentioned, I hope someone else that has tried those two could answer up about their fit and function in the 1894 FG.

jforwel
01-25-2009, 12:12 AM
My son's Marlin will cycle SWCs most of the time but once in a while some will hang up. I bought some TC boolits from Penn and they are just as slick as a RN. So since I have just started in the casting hobby I hope to some day get a TC mold for it.

I have just started casting and I already have five molds and will probably need another dozen by the end of this year if I am going to stop buying commercial.

homefront
01-25-2009, 10:45 AM
My FG won't cycle SWC's at all (my .357 is only a little better). I just picked up a box of RNFP's from Rogers Better Bullets http://www.betterbullets.com/documents/KSS_Pricing.pdf
I'll post back here after a trial; if they work, I'll be hunting for a good RNFP mold.

Boomer Mikey
01-25-2009, 04:19 PM
SWC's will work fine in all the lever guns with proper attention to the rifle and loads.

Removing the sharp edge on the chamber's mouth with a 3/4" countersink leaving a small bevel and placing a small polished ramp at the bottom of the chamber; then, adjust your loads length... some SWC's need to be seated deeper in the case to feed, and provide a proper roll crimp to provide a smooth transition on loaded rounds to prevent a "stove pipe" condition.

The Cowboy Competition Limited models have this done and is one of the reasons for its higher cost. Any competent gunsmith can do the work at a very modest cost in 15 minutes or less.

In many cases increasing the roll crimp alone will resolve feeding issues.

Boomer :Fire:

msp2640
01-29-2009, 03:15 AM
Appreciate the info, since I posted the question, finances have changed and will now have to part with a few guns to fund a recent vehicle purchase. I'll keep my 657 and B/ hawk in 41, but will have to part with some other stuff. Maybe able to pick up a Marlin in the future -Thanks to all Bill