PDA

View Full Version : H4227 Rather than H2400

ChristopherO
03-14-2022, 06:37 PM
I'm not shy about using up older powders. Been shooting two old cans of H2400 nearly empty in various rounds, lately 26 grains in the 35 Whelen with a tuff of dacron under 186 grain Lead Boolits. The other day I grabbed the container of H4227 instead. Loaded 20 before it dawned on me that I used the wrong H powder. As H4227 is slower I am thinking it will shoot just fine, albeit slower than the H2400. The old manuals that show any 35 Whelen cast load with H4227 are for heavier boolits and their minimum is higher, nigh of 29 grains and up.
Any issue firing these off or pull 'em based on real world experience?

Outpost75
03-14-2022, 07:08 PM
They will shoot fine.

ChristopherO
03-15-2022, 06:47 PM
Thank you, Outpost75. I was pretty confident this is an acceptable use. Your input is appreciated.

ChristopherO
03-17-2022, 09:24 PM
A window of opportunity came up later today to shoot seven of these H4227 powered rounds. Six were directed at the target 100 yards distant:
That is a better grouping that H2400 has given me. It could be the slower velocity is better suited for the powder coated range scrap these are cast from.

The expansion was still very acceptable in 4 water jugs at the same distance, too:
Nearly the same as with 26 grains of H2400.

This oversight in powder usage may have pushed me to a better conclusion than I previously receiving when trying for higher FPS.

Outpost75
03-17-2022, 10:24 PM
Bravisimo!

That agrees with my experience. Either H- or IMR 4198 do the job neatly and in strong revolvers you can load a nominal case full with 1/8" compression by the base of the seated bullet as if loading black powder.

uscra112
03-18-2022, 04:13 AM
O.P. is shooting a .35 Whelen.

TerkyJerky
03-18-2022, 08:52 AM
Not to derail the thread but speaking of using different powders for cast rifle loads, has anybody used Winchester 244 in a reduced rifle load a la "The Load"? I cant find any Unique but I have some 244. They are right next to each other on the burn rate chart and are both commonly used for handgun rounds. Is it worth it to load some rounds up with 244?

ChristopherO
03-18-2022, 01:55 PM
Not to derail the thread but speaking of using different powders for cast rifle loads, has anybody used Winchester 244 in a reduced rifle load a la "The Load"? I cant find any Unique but I have some 244. They are right next to each other on the burn rate chart and are both commonly used for handgun rounds. Is it worth it to load some rounds up with 244?

That's a good question, TK. My experience with Winchester Ball Powders is that they are loading data specific and don't play well outside of the published parameters. Unique is apply named as it is such a wide ranging and unique powder that it crosses over to so many different uses. Wish I would have bought that bottle of it at the gun shop for $25.00 2 years ago when I had the opportunity. Would love to have a few pounds of Unique to use right now, too. As it is, the composition of Win Ball Powder lends me to stay away from concocting a load that isn't proven. The pressures can spike either too high or too low from everything I've read on them over the years. I use ball powder on occasion, but only within the loading data in print.

Give Hodgdon a call and talk with their technical staff. I've found them to be very helpful and not evasive in their answers. If they don't think it a good idea they will tell you outright. If a powder can be used with more leeway they have let me know how many percentage it can be reduced within their standards. Their website is excellent, too, but doesn't specialize in reduced loads for the most part.

unclemikeinct
03-18-2022, 02:17 PM
I don't experiment with any reduced loads of Ball Powders. Unique, Red Dot & Green dot are my preferred for reduced loads with cast bullets. My buddy uses Hi skor . 700 X, clays SHOTGUN powders. flake type only.

TNsailorman
03-18-2022, 03:23 PM
Hodgdon reloading data sight must be having problems. I have tried to access it several times today and it just sits there and goes round and round without letting me on the site. No other sites (and I have run a bunch of reloading sites today) are giving me this trouble. Is it me or the site? james