PDA

View Full Version : Caps

OKMike
03-12-2022, 05:36 PM
Anyone having luck finding any percussion caps, my Google fu is turning up none.

Thanks
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pereira
03-12-2022, 05:40 PM
Yes there is a gun shop some 40+ miles SSE of me who said they have never ran out of them.
I picked up a couple when I was down there around the first of the year.

RP

freakonaleash
03-12-2022, 05:58 PM
YES! I was digging around in my shop last week and turned up 3500 of them. Looks like I'll be doing a lot of C&B revolver shooting this summer.

Froogal
03-12-2022, 06:00 PM
Can't find any here either, and I just bought a new cap and ball revolver. Guess it will just stay in the box.

imashooter2
03-12-2022, 06:06 PM
Tap a Cap says they’re in stock and ready to ship. Seems like a man’s best option these days.

OKMike
03-12-2022, 10:33 PM
Tap a Cap says they’re in stock and ready to ship. Seems like a man’s best option these days.

I’ll check it out, thanks.
Found a ton of a 100 in my gear but that’s all I got

poorman
03-13-2022, 08:03 AM

Where? I thought they were out of business

G W Wade
03-13-2022, 08:27 AM
I have seen CCI caps at Scheels stores recently. But my friends are all looking for Remington, GW

n.h.schmidt
03-13-2022, 09:57 AM
poorman Go to the 22 reloader site .They have a #11 and #10 percussion cap maker. They also sell the priming powders I have the #11 and caps from it fit on everything including my revolvers. Not too high priced .

OKMike
03-13-2022, 11:39 AM
poorman Go to the 22 reloader site .They have a #11 and #10 percussion cap maker. They also sell the priming powders I have the #11 and caps from it fit on everything including my revolvers. Not too high priced .

Watched their videos, that looks like the answer.
Thanks

Gtrubicon
03-13-2022, 11:49 AM
I have the 22 reloaded kit, it works very well.

waarp8nt
03-13-2022, 12:45 PM
I was at a Pre-98 & Muzzleloading show this weekend, one fellow had RWS and CCI percussion caps, but was rather pricey on both. He claimed Remington under new ownership has stopped production of percussion caps, however the new website shows them with a price. Odd thing to do if they were going to stop production. https://www.remington.com/muzzleloading/

A lot of misinformation out right now. I would by they minimum needed to get buy and stock up later when they plentiful.

jim 44-40
03-13-2022, 01:21 PM
For awhile there musket caps were around ,now not so much.

imashooter2
03-13-2022, 08:31 PM

Yes, that’s where I saw them. A Google search for Tap a Cap turns it up.

fiberoptik
03-13-2022, 10:46 PM
I tried mine with the paper caps but they wouldn’t fire even bp!

Even used 4!

LAGS
03-13-2022, 11:03 PM
The paper roll caps ain't like they were when I was a kid.
They use to go BANG when fired.
The ones now just go Poof.
That is why I switched to Prime All mixed by Weight and not Volume to make H48 compound.
I also make F42 priming compound from chemicals that come in Prime All.
I actually prefer the F42 compound

fiberoptik
03-14-2022, 02:17 AM
I got some stuff from them. I thought the .22 reloader came with, but it didn’t. Need to place an order for prime-all. What’s the difference in the formulas? Is by weight more accurate?

LAGS
03-14-2022, 10:45 AM
If you are talking about the difference between H 48 and F 42
Basically one , the H48 is 4 chemicals same as the prime all.
The F42 uses one less chemical .
Which is basically ground glass.
Both should be mixed by Weight, not just by volume.
But the volume mix for the prime all works .
It is just more accurate and consistent if done by weight.
But the prime all Scoop Mix method is great for those that do not have access to a fine scale.
I did post the mixing weight percentages on another thread on this forum about Priming Compounds.

fiberoptik
03-14-2022, 01:31 PM
Thanks [emoji120]

rbuck351
03-14-2022, 06:03 PM
I have been making the primer caps from shotgun primer cups at very small cost for tools. You start with apiece of 1/4" thick piece of flat steel maybe 1 1/2" by 3". You could get by with smaller if you have something solid to set it on. Drill two holes 1/2"or more apart, one 1/4" and one #11 drill. Countersink the 1/4" (5/16 drill or better an end mill) hole deep enough to hold a shotgun primer from moving around. Taper the top of the #11 hole about half way through. HF sells a taper reamer for under $10 and a punch set for about the same.

Now set a shotgun primer on top of the 1/4" hole flash hole up and drive out the cup with a small punch or nail (.090 or smaller). Use a 5/32 punch to flatten the firing pin dent. You now have a cup that will work but it is a loose fit. To tighten it you can squash the sides a bit or use the 5/32 punch to drive the cup through the #11 hole. I don't know what I.D. size a #10 cap is but a shotgun cup could be made a little bigger or smaller without much effort.

rbuck351
03-31-2022, 02:10 PM
I have made and tested a few caps made from shotgun primer cups.They work very well. They even can be reused as they do not split up when fired. Today while prepping some more caps for loading I used a magnet to separate the cups from the outer shell. when I pulled the magnet out of the box of cups and outer shells about half of the cup stuck to the magnet.

Apparently some shot shell primers have steel cups and some are brass. Because a caplock doesn't punch a dent in the cap, I would think you could reload the same cap many times. I have reloaded a few caps three or four times thinking they held up because of the thicker wall, but it may be I was reloading steel cups.

It's something to consider if you are going to roll your own.

n.h.schmidt
04-13-2022, 04:55 PM
rbuck351 It seems you have developed this out.What do you put in the cups? If it's punched out role caps, you can have better results with the powders. If you know trap shooters you have a endless supply. What you do seems to be more work than using the 22reloader cap maker. I use a modified one. It now is on a reloading press and production is fast and easy. Keep up the good work.