PDA

View Full Version : Handled a new Anaconda today.

Cosmic_Charlie
03-11-2022, 10:01 PM
At our lgs. Was an 8" and seemed mighty big, bordering on a parlor piece that you get out to show off. Only tried the DA pull but it was impressive. Price was good compared to Gunbroker at $1,399.00. They had a nice clean 6-1/2" 29-2. for the same price and it struck me as a better purchase.

megasupermagnum
03-11-2022, 10:44 PM
I wouldn't buy either for that price, but equal price, I'm more likely to buy an Anaconda than a model 29.

beechbum444
03-12-2022, 12:45 AM
curious to see if the new anacondas will drive the price of the old ones up or down.......i thought that the introduction on new Ruglins would drive the price of older remlins and JM marlins down , but i was wrong

Outer Rondacker
03-12-2022, 08:17 AM
Around my parts they sit on shelves for months if not years at that price. I have shot both snakes and will keep my rugers over the snake any day. Then again I have paid $7 dollars for a cheap beer in the past.

Anchorite
03-12-2022, 08:54 AM
I’m fortunate to have a 6” Anaconda in 45 Colt.

Larry Gibson
03-12-2022, 10:02 AM
Happy with my 4" Anaconda 44 Magnum. Grip fits my smaller hand where an N frame S&W does not regardless of grips. The Colt is comfortable to shoot, the S&W not.

Considering the actual value of $1399 today vs what i paid for my Anaconda in the mid '90s it's probably not that bad a price.....still seems like it though......

Cosmic_Charlie
03-12-2022, 10:24 AM
That is a practical set up Larry. Not possible with that 8" which goes into boat anchor territory.

Shuz
03-12-2022, 02:40 PM
IMHO when revolvers have bbls longer than 7.5", a person should start thinking about putting wheels on them![smilie=s:

smkummer
03-13-2022, 09:14 AM
I have a older 6” anaconda. Happy with my choice as it’s mainly used for general target shooting including metal plates. Fairly well balanced. If I were a dedicated hunter or long range silhouette shooter, then I would maybe consider the 8”.

That’s below MSRP on the new anaconda. Maybe the 8” is a slower mover. The new anaconda is considered an upgrade from the older design with its new trigger system.

reddog81
03-13-2022, 11:04 AM
I like my 29-2 but if I was wanting to shoot a bunch of magnum rounds the Anaconda would be a better choice. With magnum loads the 29-2 is a handful and there’s a reason S&W came out with the endurance package.

$1399 is a really good price the only place I’ve seen them selling for MSRP is Sportsmans Warehouse online. Every place else has them for $200 to $300 over MSRP.

Mal Paso
03-13-2022, 04:00 PM
Happy with my 4" Anaconda 44 Magnum. Grip fits my smaller hand where an N frame S&W does not regardless of grips. The Colt is comfortable to shoot, the S&W not.

Considering the actual value of $1399 today vs what i paid for my Anaconda in the mid '90s it's probably not that bad a price.....still seems like it though......

What grips do you have, those don't look like the "Combat" grips mine came with? The Combat had a seam down the backstrap that pinched my palm every time I fired. Mine wears Pachmyer's now.

I went to see about getting one of the new Anacondas and they aren't available in california, they wouldn't pay the extortion. Disappointing for me but I can't blame them. DOJ is Not.

Larry Gibson
03-14-2022, 10:14 AM
Mine came with the backstrap covering "seamed" grips also. The seam would open with magnum loads and pinch the web of my hand. Pachmyer's helped but made the length of pull for my hands too long. The one's in the photo and still on it are Hogue mono-grips. The make it a perfect fit for my hand and are comfortable to shoot with magnum loads. I have to say my Anaconda, out of the box, had the smoothest DA pull of any factory revolver i have ever tried [as a LE firearms instructor I tried a lot of S&W, Colt and Rugers DA revolvers]. I have been offered $1600 for [4 times what I bought it for] but just can't bring myself to sell it as I'd then just have to find/get another.......

Mal Paso
03-16-2022, 10:31 AM
I have a 4 inch too and I agree, best out of the box trigger ever. Mine was sitting in a gun shop with less than 50 rounds through it. Cylinder lock up was like an Imperial car door, solid, perfect, I couldn't put it down. I knew something was wrong, a perfect gun would never have made it to the display case in that particular store. The price was $1200, I offered $900 and they came back with $925, another sign but I bought it anyway. The gun wouldn't fire more than 3 rounds without the cylinder tying up and stopping the trigger. The rear of the barrel was trimmed a couple thousandths crooked and the tolerances were so tight a grain of burned powder would stop the cylinder. I made a jig to hold a stone square with the barrel and polished off the excess. It's still the tightest gun I have. The barrel bore is smooth as glass with no tooling marks, it was EDM machined but the groove is .430" so I shoot .431" boolits. I reamed the cylinders .431" and silver brazed the transfer bar to get close to .050" of firing pin protrusion. The trigger is just the way I got it, perfect.