PDA

View Full Version : Camel Attacks and Kills Two in Tennessee

Thundarstick
03-11-2022, 09:24 PM
In a case of, you just can't make this stuff up, two men where killed in my county by an escaped camel from a farm petting zoo. Sheriffs departments from two counties, Tennessee highway patrol, a close by municipal police department, our county rescue squad, and EMS where on the scene trying to render aid to two injured men when the camel attacked a sheriff's office vehicle while attempting to attack rescuers. The officers dispatched the camel at that time! The two attacked men where pronounced dead at the scene. A terrible loss for two families, and a tragedy for the farm family!

contender1
03-11-2022, 09:35 PM
Dern,, that's an unusual story!

Prayers for the families!

Buzz Krumhunger
03-11-2022, 09:38 PM
Camel had enough of that incessant petting, I guess.

Baltimoreed
03-11-2022, 09:56 PM
Totally bizarre. Wild animals do not want to be in cages, even nice petting zoo cages and when they’ve had enough crap they strike out. Orcas in seaworld have done the same thing. My sympathies go out for the families.

Winger Ed.
03-11-2022, 10:11 PM
Same thing happened here not too long ago.
A gorilla escaped from a city zoo.
Trying to recapture it, it attacked.
With about a dozen Police Officers there, it didn't survive the experience.

Beagle333
03-11-2022, 11:34 PM
I didn't even know they could turn violent. A local petting zoo/farm here has one that he takes to a lot of kid's parties. It's (seemingly) as tame as a kitten.

Bmi48219
03-11-2022, 11:49 PM
I’ve had enough experience with camels to know they aren’t your everyday domesticated animal. The bite and spit, a lot and don’t really want you to ride them, at least the few I’ve met.
While not exactly violent, biting and spitting aren’t traits of civilized creatures. From the reports I read the petting zoo had been cited several times for poor animal habitat and conditions unsafe for customers.
Funny how women in general think horses are pretty, noble, wonderful creatures.
I don’t know any woman that feels the same about camels.

dannyd
03-11-2022, 11:58 PM
One of my lectures for the sailors in the Sandbox; if your going to ride a camel negotiate the price first or you will being throwing your wallet down to the guy after he ( the camel) stands up. ;)

HWooldridge
03-12-2022, 12:10 AM
Good reason to keep a heavy caliber rifle in the car/truck…

DougGuy
03-12-2022, 01:40 AM
A camel is a bad so and so!

There was a video on Youtube for a while from Morocco where a camel reached around and snatched a guy up with his whole head in the camel's mouth and slings him around by his head, then lets him go he hits the ground like a sack of bricks.

georgerkahn
03-12-2022, 07:25 AM
I was intrigued sufficiently from your post to Google the story. For anyone else so curious, I found a link at https://news.yahoo.com/camel-attacks-kills-two-people-184600720.html?fr=yhssrp_catchall
I never was a fan of camels, myself. As a child we'd go the annual Circus at Madison Square Garden (NYC) and I loved interacting with the elephants; BUT -- we always viewed the camels as most nasty critters. No one, if I recall, was permitted to interact with these critters!
(Thanks for posting this (sad) story!)
geo

Gator 45/70
03-12-2022, 09:51 AM
Probably the most bizarre camel attack to date? Fl woman strikes again!!!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/camels-testicles-woman-louisiana-truck-stop-zoo-authorities

William Yanda
03-12-2022, 10:12 AM
Now that tops; "Man Bites Dog"!

GregLaROCHE
03-12-2022, 10:39 AM
So did the woman get charged with endangering the spices?

Gator 45/70
03-12-2022, 11:20 AM
Charged with trespassing and no leash on dog I believe?

Idz
03-12-2022, 11:37 AM
Tennessee? I thought the kamel was over in Poland laughing at the Ukrainian hospitals getting bombed.

Bmi48219
03-12-2022, 12:18 PM
As a child we'd go the annual Circus at Madison Square Garden (NYC) and I loved interacting with the elephants;…

My wife’s uncle was the elephant keeper at the Detroit Zoo during the sixties. Apparently he was well regarded throughout the zoological community and assisted other institutions with training. The stories he related about elephants were eye-openers. He said it takes a long time to get elephants accustomed to and cooperative with a particular keeper. Even then they just tolerate the keeper’s ‘suggestions’ and need to be reminded he is in charge.
Keepers didn’t enter the exhibit without what sounded like a three foot long, needle sharp fishing gaff to encourage the elephants’ cooperation. The keeper would hook the corner of the elephant’s mouth to get its attention and be receptive to commands. He said you had put your strength into jerking the hook. They were raised to respond docilely to the feeling. If they weren’t intimidated by you, you were in trouble.
After nearly a decade the zoo traded their elephants for other species. They wanted the uncle to take over the hippo keeper position but he declined and retired. He passed away in the early 90’s. I never get tired listening to the exploits of the Great Generation. So many interesting experiences that will sadly be forgotten.

Winger Ed.
03-12-2022, 12:52 PM
Probably the most bizarre camel attack to date? Fl woman strikes again!!!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/camels-testicles-woman-louisiana-truck-stop-zoo-authorities

A petting zoo at a truck stop?

Where is Jeff Foxworthy?
There's got to be a redneck joke in there somewhere.

Gator 45/70
03-12-2022, 02:18 PM

Where is Jeff Foxworthy?

Yeah man, Right before you get on the basin bridge going west on I 10 out of B.Rouge, Think it's called the Tiger Stop

MT Gianni
03-12-2022, 08:04 PM
If you box in an species with out leaving them an out, the wild ride is on. Sorry it cost the lives of these two.

rondog
03-12-2022, 08:43 PM

Where is Jeff Foxworthy?

I used to work on the road and travel a lot, and somewhere years ago I pulled off an Interstate for gas, food, coffee, whatever. And out by the end of the offramp, out all by itself, was a small steel cage on a concrete pad, with a live tiger in it. Saddest thing I've ever seen.

Cosmic_Charlie
03-13-2022, 03:55 PM
Just watching a vid of a whitetail going after a dog you can understand what a camel could do. Unfortunate situation.....

Scrounge
03-13-2022, 04:37 PM
Totally bizarre. Wild animals do not want to be in cages, even nice petting zoo cages and when they’ve had enough crap they strike out. Orcas in seaworld have done the same thing. My sympathies go out for the families.

Camels are not exactly wild animals. They are, at least nominally, domesticated, and have been for thousands of years. I believe the Arabs that raise them like them a bit feisty. Not to mention that cattle have been domesticated for at least 8000 years, and you still walk across a field with a bull in it at your own peril. Domesticated doesn't really mean tame.

Bill

fiberoptik
03-13-2022, 07:45 PM
At 12, I was feeding hay to the the horses. Pops had 2 Shetland ponies; mom and a yearling male colt. The yearling was none too friendly. I was petting the mom as she ate. The colt reached over and bit my middle knuckle! Being young, I demonstrated a lack of wisdom my giving him a right cross to the forehead. I preceded Arnold in Conan by a decade. He dropped to his knees, and my hand was numb for a week. He never bit me again. Neither did the dog try again after I clamped down on his ear [emoji101]!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Winger Ed.
03-13-2022, 08:22 PM
Neither did the dog try again after I clamped down on his ear

As a kid, one of our neighbors had a dog the we all played with.
Once in awhile the dog would just haul off and bite this one kid.
One day it happened, and the kid bit it back. The dog never bit him after that.

Bmi48219
03-13-2022, 09:49 PM
Years ago I was driving into town on I-96 for an afternoon meeting. It was around 2:30 pm on a Sunday. I was listening to the traffic & weather station but not anticipating any delays. The traffic report came on saying an overturned animal trailer had both directions crawling near Milford. Sure enough three minutes later nothing but brake lights ahead. With the freeway down to one lane eastbound I had plenty of time to hear the next update. The announcer said the trailer was transporting two or three lions which had escaped during the roll over and were wandering around the area.
As I passed the scene I saw a male lion resting on his belly (like a house cat waiting for a mouse to by) in the median and female walking in the grass along the shoulder. Several state troopers were controlling traffic and there was a fire truck and EMS on the scene.
According to the news they were all captured none the worse for the experience.
The area was pretty much rural with a MetroPark close by. I was surprised the lions didn’t run off into a farm field. Pretty cool seeing a lion walking along the roadside. Sort of like a drive through game reserve.

Idaho45guy
03-14-2022, 12:58 AM
Camels have killed millions...

fiberoptik
03-14-2022, 02:13 AM
Camels have killed millions...

Good pic of Cummala camel-toe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

376Steyr
03-14-2022, 02:33 AM
In his classic work "Sixguns" Elmer Keith related the incident when the camel he was riding threw him and left Elmer dangling with his foot caught in the stirrup. The camel proceeded to dash into the desert, dragging Elmer behind him. Fearing for his life, Elmer was forced to pull his heavy-loaded .45 Colt and shoot until the camel collapsed. At least that's what I recall; it's been a long time since I read it. I could be wrong. Maybe he used his heavy-loaded .44 Special...

MaryB
03-14-2022, 12:43 PM
If it was an intact male camel they are mean during rut... so mean most owners will not keep them. They have killed their owners during rut, killed other farm animals... you do not want to go in a pen with a rutting camel!

gc45
03-14-2022, 01:19 PM
Dislike the whole idea of the Zoo; locking up something God meant to be free is a criminal act IMO-

gwpercle
03-14-2022, 01:57 PM
I used to work on the road and travel a lot, and somewhere years ago I pulled off an Interstate for gas, food, coffee, whatever. And out by the end of the offramp, out all by itself, was a small steel cage on a concrete pad, with a live tiger in it. Saddest thing I've ever seen.

That is the Tiger Truck Stop , here in Grosse Tete Louisiana , the owner and the State and Animal Rights Groups , spent many years in court over the Tiger , his name was Tony, well Tony got really old and passed away from natural causes .
The Owner didn't replace Tony with another Tiger ... He replaced Tony with a Camel !!!

A woman craweled into the Camels enclosure for a photo op ... the Camel sat down and she was under him ... to get the Camel off her ... she bit the Camels Testicles !!!
You can't make this up ... I swear to heaven this is all true .
They had to give the Camel a Tetanus Shot ... You might be a redneck if ...
The Camel's name was Caspar .
I believe the owner got fed up with animals and people going into areas marked "Keep Out Danger" at his truck stop ...everything seems to be gone now ...except the truck stop and cafe that served pretty good food !
Gary

Baltimoreed
03-14-2022, 02:07 PM
That’s one hell of a selfie. LOL

Eddie Southgate
03-14-2022, 02:22 PM
What were these two doing to the Camel that upset him so ?

gwpercle
03-15-2022, 09:48 AM
What were these two doing to the Camel that upset him so ?

For all the good details just search the term " Woman bites Camel at Tiger Truck Stop , Grosse Tete , Louisiana" ... she bit the camel in a place you don't want to get bitten !

I would have posted the news story here but I don't know how to make it happen ...
After the woman climbed into the cage , marked Stay Out Danger , and bit the Camel ... She had the balls to sue the truck stop !
Only in Louisiana !
Gary

blackthorn
03-15-2022, 12:15 PM
After the woman climbed into the cage , marked Stay Out Danger , and bit the Camel ... She had the balls to sue the truck stop !
Only in Louisiana !

Did she use the ones she got from biting the Camel or----???

gwpercle
03-16-2022, 03:51 PM
Only in Louisiana !

Did she use the ones she got from biting the Camel or----???

Oh No !!! I don't even want to go there :confused:
Gary

john.k
03-17-2022, 01:55 AM
Seen on telly...What animal kills the most people in OZ?......snakes,sharks,spiders,octopus,jellyfish,b ulls ,deer,camels?......nope,more are killed by horses.(didnt say,but probably in falls)

fatnhappy
03-17-2022, 11:26 AM
As a kid, one of our neighbors had a dog the we all played with.
Once in awhile the dog would just haul off and bite this one kid.
One day it happened, and the kid bit it back. The dog never bit him after that.

I had a paper route as a kid. One of the houses on my route was pure white trash. They had 2 labs, one of which was aggressive. One day he charged at me, I got my arm up in time to protect my face but he nailed me under the arm.

The next day I delivered to their house last with a brick in my bag. I walloped him full swing hard enough he rolled clear across the driveway.
From then on he would bark at me hidden in the bushes around the corner of the house but never once came within 100' of me.

There's an analogy there for bullies and national policy.

waksupi
03-17-2022, 01:01 PM
Seen on telly...What animal kills the most people in OZ?......snakes,sharks,spiders,octopus,jellyfish,b ulls ,deer,camels?......nope,more are killed by horses.(didnt say,but probably in falls)

The hospital here dreads the first holiday weekend of the year They see more horse injuries than anything else.

Gator 45/70
03-18-2022, 12:56 PM
I had a paper route as a kid. One of the houses on my route was pure white trash. They had 2 labs, one of which was aggressive. One day he charged at me, I got my arm up in time to protect my face but he nailed me under the arm.

The next day I delivered to their house last with a brick in my bag. I walloped him full swing hard enough he rolled clear across the driveway.
From then on he would bark at me hidden in the bushes around the corner of the house but never once came within 100' of me.

There's an analogy there for bullies and national policy.

Cousin used a burlap sack on a German Shepard that chased him every morning leaving for work.
He removed 2 lug nuts, Installed the sack and then tighten the lugs nuts.
Leaving for work he drove real slow in front of the dog.
A dog being a dog gave chase and latched fangs into the flopping sack.
Needless to say the dog cut a few flips before he got loose from the sack.
Never had a problem with the dog after that.

gwpercle
03-19-2022, 12:58 PM
Walk softly .... and carry a Big Stick .

I like that saying.
Gary

elmacgyver0
03-19-2022, 01:38 PM
This clears up a lot of things I wondered about the middle east.