PDA

View Full Version : Brazilian Comblain Carbine Main Spring

Gunstitute
03-11-2022, 05:13 AM
I recently purchased an 1892 Brazilian Comblain Carbine which was described by the auction house as something is very good condition but I found within 30 seconds of opening the box that it’s missing the main v-spring.

I know these rifles are very rare but if by chance anyone has one, I’d be infinitely appreciative if I could get at least a couple of pics beside a ruler and maybe even a few basic measurements. I know this is a virtually impossible ask but I’m throwing this out there as a ‘Hail Mary’.

Thanks

hawkenhunter50
03-11-2022, 06:39 AM
Maybe this will be of some help.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?288231-A-tale-of-the-Wondrous-Comblain-carbine

Bmi48219
03-11-2022, 10:16 AM
Maybe this will be of some help.

This is one of the reasons I find this forum so interesting.

john.k
03-11-2022, 06:43 PM
De Haas "Single shot guns" Vol 1 has fairly accurately dimensioned drawings of the Comblain actions,and the book is online now .........I dont think the spring would be that difficult to make.

Gunstitute
03-12-2022, 07:42 AM
Thanks all.

John I’m thinking that’s what I might need to do. I’ve never made a spring before but something I have wanted to give a try one day.

Jedman
03-12-2022, 10:36 PM
297496This is a scaled drawing from Frank deHaas book, Single Shot Rifles and Actions. It shows the mainspring and a scale in inches so if you can measure the drawing with calibers and figure the ratio from the scale you should be able to get close to the dimensions you need.
I own a miniature Comblain 410 shotgun made in Belgium. It would not do you any good because it is about 2/3 size of the large military action.
In my view the Comblain action is pure genius. It took me many years to find one I liked and that I could afford.

Sorry for the shadow in the first pic, hope this other is better.

Hope this drawing helps ! Jedman

Gunstitute
03-16-2022, 11:17 AM
297496This is a scaled drawing from Frank deHaas book, Single Shot Rifles and Actions. It shows the mainspring and a scale in inches so if you can measure the drawing with calibers and figure the ratio from the scale you should be able to get close to the dimensions you need.
I own a miniature Comblain 410 shotgun made in Belgium. It would not do you any good because it is about 2/3 size of the large military action.
In my view the Comblain action is pure genius. It took me many years to find one I liked and that I could afford.

Hope this drawing helps ! Jedman

Thank you so much for taking the time to post that Jedman! I actually tried measuring the empty space as best I could with the breech block out and while I need to double check your pic with my dimensions in the morning… it looks very similar. The pic is even more help because I can get a better visual of the relationship between the trigger/breech block parts and the top of the spring. I knew that was going to be the most difficult part.

Never made a spring before but I have spring steel stock on the way and I’ll give it a shot. You don’t learn if you don’t try. I’ll revert back so you can all laugh at my bubba attempt. ��