PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 450 problem

Nol
03-10-2022, 12:28 PM
Hi

I am new here and from the Netherlands so forgive me if I make some language mistakes :-P

I shoot almost 50 years and approx 45 years antique firarms like Winchesters - Trapdoors - Sharps and Colts SA
Therefor I cast the cast bullet heads to make my own bullets.
Casting went good untill 3 weeks ago.
I contact Lyman for the problem but the part that what I think is not good anymore is out of production.
The 450 model is out of production but parts from 4500 is interchangable with 450 except the seal plug and I think that part is the problem.

What is happen :
When I turn the spindle to push the seal plug down the seal plug turn around and will not going down to press the lube into the bullet grooves.
I renew the o-rings but that did not help.
Lyman told me that the size of the o-rings are 1,129" OD and 0,989" ID and 0,70" thick
Even I doubt if that is the correct size because the grooves in the seal plug is much wider I still bought those rings here with the size 28mm OD x 25mm ID x 2mm thick

I search the web and found a possible solution : heating pad under the press
They are not available or not in stock here and then I found some info to make it my self so I mount a 10mm aluminium plate under the press and heat that up with a clothing iron and that helps to warm up the press but the seal plug still turns inside the press.
I am out of solutions and hope someone can advice me what else I can try to fix this problem.

slim1836
03-10-2022, 12:54 PM

Here is my simple solution, a metal plate under the 450 with an iron on the back. Keep the iron on low and take it off if the lube gets too soft.

Another way is to use a heat gun and warm the sides of the 450.

Some lubes require heat to flow properly, hope this helps.

Slim

gwpercle
03-10-2022, 01:47 PM
The o-rings , Lyman part # 2990689 (2) , should still be in production , They are used on the 4500 and the later 450 .
My early 450 has a brass compression ring not rubber but the later 450's were changed to rubber .
Here is the size of the o-ring :
outside diameter - 1 1/16" (revised this dimension )
inside diameter - 13/16" (revised this dimension)
thickness - 1/8"
Sorry , but my measurements are in inch and fractions of an inch but that is what my scale (ruler) is marked in . I can't do conversion

Do a search for - Lyman Part #2990689
This is the part number for the o-rings , you will need two .

These o-rings wear out and have to be replaced so should be available , many 450's and 4500's still in use .

I was reading about using hardware store o rings and Lyman has theirs sized special ... hardware store rings are usually a liitle too small or a little too large to work right ... Your best fit will be a Lyman replacement part #2990689 . Lyman has them listed on their replacement parts web site for $0.26 (26 cents) - available and in stock - Lyman Products Replacement Parts .

Good luck
Welcome to the forum
Gary

Baltimoreed
03-10-2022, 01:54 PM
There should be enough friction between the plug and the internal sides of the sizer to prevent the plug from turning when the spindle turns once the plug is entirely in the sizer. Have you replaced the two O rings recently or are they damaged or broken? If you replaced them they are too small and need to be thicker. The only other wag I’ve got would be its not threaded on the spindle correctly.

Bazoo
03-10-2022, 02:10 PM
Welcome to the forum.

You could likely improvise to get going again while you source the right O rings. Remove the plug, remove the o rings, then add a dozen wraps of Teflon tape to the groove where the o ring goes. That’ll make it tighter. I ain’t ever done it with a lubesizer but have with other o ring seals.

imashooter2
03-10-2022, 02:19 PM
gwpercle has the correct part number. I hope the cost of shipping to the Netherlands doesn’t ruin you.

Since you have the nut out of the press, perhaps you could take it with you to the hardware store and find something that would fit. It doesn’t have to be perfect.

Nol
03-10-2022, 02:34 PM
First of all thanks for your answers

@slim 1836
I did that but it did not solve the problem
I put a 10mm thick aluminium plate under de press and heat it up with an iron, plate get warm just like the press it self but the seal plug keep turn around when I turn the spindle

@gwpercle
What I understand is that the 450 was the previous model and later came the 4500.
Lyman wrote me that the 4500 seal plug is not interchangable with the 450 so I understand that the o-rings are not the same.
Your sizes are different from the size Lyman wrote me.
I also measure the plug and OD is 1,1/16 so the size of your ring is not compatable with my plug
I think that is why Lyman wrote me that the lugs are not interchagable because the 4500 is bigger
And the difference between OD and ID is not as much as twice the thickness ?

@baltimoreed
I replace the 2 o-rings on advice of Lyman and before I did that I clean the hole press and also the spindel which works smootly now

45DUDE
03-10-2022, 02:48 PM
I rebuilt 3 450's 2 years ago. Ebay has the seals in a kit and other things and easier to order. Lyman should have the parts. Take the 450 apart and look at a Lyman parts list. They have part #'s and prices. I have 6 in operation and another on the way. You can crack pecans with them also. The newer pistons have 2 0rings instead of 1 and trouble free. If you buy the piston It comes with the 0rings. The 450's can leak on the bottom if not mounted flat. I have used an old inter tube under some. Air conditioning <green>0rings will work on some of the parts.

Nol
03-10-2022, 02:52 PM
This is what Lyman wrote me :
That looks like the seal plug to the 450 Lube Sizer. While most parts to our newer 4500 will interchange with the 450, the seal plug is not one of the interchangeable parts and we no longer have any in stock. You can try putting in new o-rings to see if that will help. They are 1.129” OD, .989” ID and .070” thick. Hope this helps.

Because I wrote back about the o-ring size they wrote me as follow :
Those o-rings would be the correct ones for that seal plug. Unfortunately, the parts you need for that model are no longer available.

45DUDE
03-10-2022, 03:48 PM
Looking at your photo----If you can't pull the threaded bolt up and out you are good.<It goes in from the bottom> The piston is threaded and turns right. Once the piston makes contact with the cylinder it doesn't turn anymore. It goes up and down. The wrench turns left to lower and put pressure on the lube. If the lube is hard you will have to take it apart and put a solder iron in the cylinder to melt the old lube out. Looks like you have an older piston with 1 0ring or there is an 0ring missing on the bottom. <should have 2 0rings>. I use a medium soft lube that requires no heat for pistols and a harder lube for rifle with a little heat<110 degrees or so>If too hot it will leak around the bottom of the lube sizer or the top of the lube sizer piston when pressure is applied.

Baltimoreed
03-10-2022, 04:00 PM
Also looking at your photo you have to hold the plug and turn the threaded spindle counterclockwise to get the plug to move down the bolt into the body of the sizer. Also there are softer lubes and hard ones that need heat. Look on line. I prefer hard Lyman orange magic but I’ve got a heater on my two 450’s.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-10-2022, 04:55 PM
Are the threads damaged on the Pressure screw, (what you call the spindle) ?

Because that would cause your problem.

Bazoo
03-10-2022, 05:42 PM
The picture looks like to me the same as my 450 except it’s missing the bottom o ring.

imashooter2
03-10-2022, 05:46 PM
You received bad information from Lyman. The pressure screw thread, length and reservoir diameter have been the same from earliest production of the 45 to the current 4500. The current 4500 pressure nut and its O rings can be retrofit in all of the sizers from the 45 through the 4500. Order 2 pieces of part number 2990689 and you will have what you need.

In the picture you show, the pressure nut is not yet down to the lube reservoir. It needs to start into the reservoir before there is friction to hold the nut and allow it continue to be tightened. Hold the outside of the nut with your fingers and turn the screw until the nut enters the reservoir. If you can’t keep the nut from spinning in your fingers when you turn the screw, check for old lube in the screw threads. Clean that out and it should be easy to spin the nut down.

Nol
03-10-2022, 07:24 PM
I use it for over 20 years and until 3 weeks ago it works fine

I canīt take out the spindel (threaded bolt) from the top and the picture shows the plug with 2 o-rings inside but with lube around that is why you donīt see the 2e o-ring but it is there.
The lube is hard so I was hoping it works fine with a heater pad under the press but that did not work, plug still turn around
Spindel is fine and I can run the spindel in the plug with my hand without any problem

@irmashooter
If that is thru then I can order them but problem is I have to order them in the US at Lyman because it is not in stock here
S/H from Lyman to the Netherland cost $28 while regular shippingcost is almost nothing therefor I bought equivalent o-ring sizes here and the size was on advice of Lyman
Lyman wrote me that the size of the o-rings are 1,129" OD and 0,989" ID and 0,70" thick so I bought rings here at the size 28mm OD x 25mm ID x 2mm thick
I understand I need o-rings 1 3/16" OD x 1 1/16" ID with thickness of 1/8" converted to metric it will be 30mm OD x 27mm ID and 3mm thick
But the OD of the nut is 27,5mm which is almost the same as the ID of the o-ring !?
ID of the groove of the nut is 22,2mm = 7/8"
Size confuse me because the o-ring fall over the nut

The nut was taken out to check but it is normal inside the reservoir.
If I turn the spindle it pull the nut down until the lub and then it stop and start turning around when I turn the spindle (screw or threaded bolt)
Like I wrote it works fine until 3 weeks ago.

If gwpercle is right about the size of the o-rings and if I convert it correct, maybe someone can check it for me, then I try to find the o-rings here but as I say the size confuse me

skeettx
03-10-2022, 07:50 PM
Take out the sizing die.
Gently heat the tube with a propane torch
When the lube is soft, turn the ratchet handle and
strip all the old lube from the 450.
Have a bucket under the 450 to catch the old lube.
Remove the insert in the H&I die and put in the sizing die
back into the 450. Put new lube in the 450 and insure it
is softened with some heat.
Twist the ratchet and see the lube come out the lube holes
in the die. If so, GOOD, replace the insert and start lubing
bullets.

Let us know how this works for you

Mike

p.s. also, please insure the head of the pressure screw is intact and
does not need to be brazed.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-10-2022, 07:55 PM
If you don't have damaged threads and your O-rings are large enough to seal in the reservoir ...then look for issues where the Lube touches the pressure nut (piston, plug). Like oil or something? The lube should be somewhat sticky and that helps to hold the pressure nut to keep it from turning.

45DUDE
03-10-2022, 09:22 PM
If the threaded top piston <pressure screw>spins in the cylinder the 0rings are worn out. Ebay they are under$10 but I would buy the assembly with 0rings installed.

imashooter2
03-10-2022, 10:18 PM
I wonder if the language barrier is a problem. If the pressure nut threads down until it hits the lube and then it spins, perhaps the pressure screw is stripped just above the lube.

@Nol, can you look down into the reservoir with strong light and confirm the threads on the pressure screw are still good?

Bazoo
03-10-2022, 10:53 PM
The language barrier doesn’t affect me. I think I understand perfectly. He needs new o rings that are correct size.

Why not take the pressure nut and the old o rings to the hardware store and find something close as you can. Buy the sizes that are close and try them.

45DUDE
03-11-2022, 12:33 AM
Those 0 rings are a special size and hardness and have to fit perfect. I gave up going to hardware and parts stores. You can buy them for $10 shipped to your door from e bay.

imashooter2
03-11-2022, 01:32 AM
Those 0 rings are a special size and hardness and have to fit perfect. I gave up going to hardware and parts stores. You can buy them for $10 shipped to your door from e bay.

The guy wants $14.75 to ship to the Netherlands, so about 22 Euros all in. I did send OP a link to the auction in PM.

Nol
03-11-2022, 08:13 AM
@skeettx
I already did that, in post #7 you can read that I clean the whole press. What I mean I took everything out including the die - toppunch - pressure screw and pressure nut and clean it.
Put new lube in and made the heating pad from a plate aluminium and heat it slowly with the iron until the cold of the press was gone and feel comfortable.
I test it with a new casted bullet and the grooves get filled but not fuly around so I turn the ratchet handle and saw that the pressure nut turns.

@JonB
No damage on the threads and the pressure nut move smootly by hand over de pressure screw. The lube is indeed sticky but it does not stop the pressure nut from turning.

@45DUDE
I found them on Ebay, $7,99 + $14,75 S&H
I can give it a try because then I have the original o-rings in the correct size.

@imashooter2
I look down and the thread is good, not damage and no scratches.
Like I wrote to JonB I can move the pressure nut smootly by hand over de pressure screw.
When all the lube was out the pressure nut went all the way down then I put new lube in and the pressure nut went down till it touch the lube and it compress the lube a little and then it stop compressing and start to turn the pressure nut.

@Bazoo
I can do that but to be sure about the sizes I prefer to buy the rings from Ebay. I know they are more expensive but then I am sure that are the correct o-rings
If that does not help to solve the problem it must be something else.
I even try to find a new pressure nut but I canīt find them on Ebay so far

Thanks you all so far
Since the rings take a while before I get them I start all over and clean the press again.

PS
I was searching on Ebay and found these o-rings which are only for the 450 but they seems much thinner to me, look like that are the one that Lyman wrote me to buy.

And I found O-ring NBR70 shore A ø24 ID x 3 mm thick
If that is the correct size I can get 50 rings for €7 = ą$7,80

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-11-2022, 09:57 AM
SNIP>>>

@skeettx
I already did that, in post #7 you can read that I clean the whole press. What I mean I took everything out including the die - toppunch - pressure screw and pressure nut and clean it.
Put new lube in and made the heating pad from a plate aluminium and heat it slowly with the iron until the cold of the press was gone and feel comfortable.
I test it with a new casted bullet and the grooves get filled but not fuly around so I turn the ratchet handle and saw that the pressure nut turns.

@JonB
No damage on the threads and the pressure nut move smootly by hand over de pressure screw. The lube is indeed sticky but it does not stop the pressure nut from turning.

@imashooter2
I look down and the thread is good, not damage and no scratches.
Like I wrote to JonB I can move the pressure nut smootly by hand over de pressure screw.
When all the lube was out the pressure nut went all the way down then I put new lube in and the pressure nut went down till it touch the lube and it compress the lube a little and then it stop compressing and start to turn the pressure nut.
Well, with everything said here, I now have to conclude what most everyone else thinks, that the problem is surely the O-rings.

Before I'd order some from Lyman or Ebay and have to wait, I would do as Bazoo suggests and go to a local store and get all the sizes that seem close or oversize and try them.

The language barrier doesn’t affect me. I think I understand perfectly. He needs new o rings that are correct size.

Why not take the pressure nut and the old o rings to the hardware store and find something close as you can. Buy the sizes that are close and try them.

imashooter2
03-11-2022, 11:42 AM
The thin rings go around the top of the lube die.

Baltimoreed
03-11-2022, 11:46 AM
Agreed. There should be enough friction there to stop the pressure nut from turning. The op’s O rings are incorrect [too small id or too thin] if there is no thread damage anywhere. The O rings deteriorate. I have two of the same Lyman sizers.

45DUDE
03-11-2022, 03:15 PM
The ones in the ebay photo in post 23-<my birthday>are correct. They will fit a 45 or 450.

Nol
03-11-2022, 03:46 PM
Thanks again
I went to our local hardware stores but non have these size o-rings in stock so I ordered online here and they arrive in 2 working days.
I ordered 1 1/8" and 1 3/16" and 1 1/4" and all are 1/8" thick
I expect one of these will fit and hopefully solve the problem of the turning pressure nut
As soon as I did the test I let you know.

gwpercle
03-11-2022, 07:42 PM
I use it for over 20 years and until 3 weeks ago it works fine

I canīt take out the spindel (threaded bolt) from the top and the picture shows the plug with 2 o-rings inside but with lube around that is why you donīt see the 2e o-ring but it is there.
The lube is hard so I was hoping it works fine with a heater pad under the press but that did not work, plug still turn around
Spindel is fine and I can run the spindel in the plug with my hand without any problem

@irmashooter
If that is thru then I can order them but problem is I have to order them in the US at Lyman because it is not in stock here
S/H from Lyman to the Netherland cost $28 while regular shippingcost is almost nothing therefor I bought equivalent o-ring sizes here and the size was on advice of Lyman
Lyman wrote me that the size of the o-rings are 1,129" OD and 0,989" ID and 0,70" thick so I bought rings here at the size 28mm OD x 25mm ID x 2mm thick
I understand I need o-rings 1 3/16" OD x 1 1/16" ID with thickness of 1/8" converted to metric it will be 30mm OD x 27mm ID and 3mm thick
But the OD of the nut is 27,5mm which is almost the same as the ID of the o-ring !?
ID of the groove of the nut is 22,2mm = 7/8"
Size confuse me because the o-ring fall over the nut

The nut was taken out to check but it is normal inside the reservoir.
If I turn the spindle it pull the nut down until the lub and then it stop and start turning around when I turn the spindle (screw or threaded bolt)
Like I wrote it works fine until 3 weeks ago.

If gwpercle is right about the size of the o-rings and if I convert it correct, maybe someone can check it for me, then I try to find the o-rings here but as I say the size confuse me

Nol , I am probably wrong on the o ring measurement - I had those dimensions written down but now I think they are NOT correct and I don't have a Lyman o ring #2990689 to measure ...
the part number should be right but my dimensions are not .
I'm so sorry for the Bad info and apologize ... please forgive .
Gary

gwpercle
03-11-2022, 08:00 PM
Thanks again
I went to our local hardware stores but non have these size o-rings in stock so I ordered online here and they arrive in 2 working days.
I ordered 1 1/8" and 1 3/16" and 1 1/4" and all are 1/8" thick
I expect one of these will fit and hopefully solve the problem of the turning pressure nut
As soon as I did the test I let you know.

Just read your post ... AWESOME !
When you find a hardware store o-ring that fits and works ...please post the correct dimensions , along with the dimensions of Lymans o-ring ... I need to write them down along with what they part they go to . I must confess I don't understand how o-rings are sized and how to measure them .
Again , sorry for the incorrect dimensions .
Gary

Nol
03-11-2022, 08:09 PM
No problem I forgive you :grin: :drinks: I am glad you help me.
I think the size irmashooter gave me does not look correct either because 1 3/16" OD and 1 1/16 ID is a different of 1/8" but when the o-ring is 1/8" thick the difference shoud be 1/4" (2 x 1/8")
That mean 1 3/16" OD and 9/16" ID
As soon as I get them I will test it and I post the result

Freischütz
03-11-2022, 08:29 PM
Previous posts (I believe on this forum) referred to O ring size #35 and Danko #54.

gwpercle
03-13-2022, 10:24 AM
No problem I forgive you :grin: :drinks: I am glad you help me.
I think the size irmashooter gave me does not look correct either because 1 3/16" OD and 1 1/16 ID is a different of 1/8" but when the o-ring is 1/8" thick the difference shoud be 1/4" (2 x 1/8")
As soon as I get them I will test it and I post the result

I found the problem ... I can't read my sloppy handwriting .

My 450 is an early one with a brass expansion ring on the Pressure seal plug . After 40+ years it began leaking so I ordered a new Pressure Seal Assembly , plug w/ two o rings and I ordered an extra o ring . Forgot about doin it ...I expanded the old brass expansion ring and it stopped leaking .
Sorta remembered having spare parts ...some digging turned up parts and a conversion kit !!!
Anyway I have the pressure nut (with two o rings) and the spare o ring in front of me .
I measured it carefully and had my wife (who has two good eyes) double check , this is correct dimensions o ring part # 2990689
OD : 1 1/16" - one and one sixteenth inch
ID : 13/16" - thirteen sixteenths inch
THK : 1/8" one eighth inch
I went back and corrected my original post ...didn't want the wrong dimensions confusing anyone else ...I'm confused enough !

The Pressure Nut Seal Assembly , (w/ 2- o rings on it) is Lyman #2990708 and is the replacement Lyman sent for my 450 ( not 4500) and is probly what came on yours .

Several years back I worried Lyman would stop carrying parts for the 450 ...so I purchased extra parts and later went whole hog and bought their Conversion / Upgrade Kit for it , all the spare parts I bought plus a new ball handle and linkage and I don't remember what else ... now I need to find that also ... I know it's out there maybe it's time to do the upgrade !
Good luck finding 0 rings .
Gary

Nol
03-14-2022, 08:01 AM
Reading back I see that I also make a mistake.

If it is 1 3/16" and the ring is 1/8" thick then the ID should be 1 3/16" - 2 x 1/8" and that is not 9/16 but 15/16"
You are right whith the 1 1/16" ring, then the ID is 13/16"
I order 3 sizes, 23mm ID which is 1 1/8" and 24mm ID is 1 3/16" and 25mm ID is 1 7/32"
I donīt think 1 1/16" ring fit the pressure seal because 1 1/16" is 21mm + 2 x 1/8" thick is 6mm make a total of 27mm which is smaller the the OD of the pressure seal that is 27,4mm
I have a good feeling for what I have ordered but we will see when they arrive here.
I let you know if and which ring works.

imashooter2
03-14-2022, 12:23 PM
Don’t blaspheme me. I never gave any dimensions. [smilie=l:

Nol
03-14-2022, 02:24 PM
Sorry you are right :oops: [smilie=b:, forgive me ;):grin:

gwpercle
03-14-2022, 06:49 PM
Don’t blaspheme me. I never gave any dimensions. [smilie=l:

This is Gary (gwpercle) I was the one giving the wrong dimensions ,
The Blaspheme is on me .

The spare O-ring dimensions I have measured :
OD: 1 1/16"
ID: 13/16"
THK: 1/8"
Sitting on the desk next to the pressure nut , which has 2 o-rings already installed , the spare doesn't look exactly right but to install it you have to stretch the o-ring over the pressure nut and roll it into the groove cut for it ...it's a tight fit . To me the o-ring looks too small but I'm not sure the sky is blue anymore . If I have too I will remove a o-ring from the pressure nut and measure it ...but it might be stretched .
I'm glad my old 450 doesn't have a rubber 0-ring seal ...too dang confusing .
The brass expandable seal was just too good a thing to let live ... I'm starting to despise rubber 0 rings ... I bet Lyman makes big bucks selling them pesky o-rings !
Gary

imashooter2
03-14-2022, 07:01 PM
They make their money on shipping for those O rings!

gwpercle
03-15-2022, 01:57 PM
They make their money on shipping for those O rings!

Somebody is making money ... I'm hoping the correct "hardware store" or "O-ring Store" size can be determined and nailed down for sure .
I got tired of buying Thumblers Tumblers Model B "drive belts" ... did some investigating and found a vaccuum cleaner drive belt that worked better than factory original at a fraction of the price sold at wally mart .
I kept the Vaccuum Cleaner belt package and belt dimensions if anyone wants that info .
Gary

Nol
03-16-2022, 01:07 PM
Today I recieve the o-rings and I did a first test but non of them solve the problem.
I try the 23mm ID ring that is a 1.1/8" OD ring
Then I try the 24mm ID ring that is the 1.3/16" OD ring
And last the 25mm ID ring that is a 1.7/32" ring
All are 1/8" thick

1.1/16" ID ring does not fit because the OD of the pressure sealplug is bigger, the OD of the 1.1/16" ring is 27mm and OD of the sealplug is 27,4mm
I check the internal diameter of the space where the plug goes in and that is 1.1/8" what is 28,6mm

All test are done without heating pad so that is my next test tomorrow

I get a little confused about the conversion mm to inch :-P

imashooter2
03-16-2022, 01:23 PM
The o rings are supposed to stretch tightly over the grooves in the pressure nut and extend past the surface of the nut to seal the reservoir.

Can you post pictures of what you have?

Nol
03-16-2022, 02:18 PM
The only one that I have to stretch a little is the 23mm ring
I can buy a 22 or 21mm ID ring but they are smaller then the ID of the space where the sealplug goes in
Inside diameter of that space is 28,6mm and the ring with ID of 22mm have an OD of 22 + 6 = 28mm

gwpercle
03-17-2022, 09:14 AM
Let's See ... you tried the following... OD : 1 1/8" , 1 3/16" , 1 1/4" ...all 1/8" THK.

And none worked and none of these worked ... is that right ?

The replacement o-ring I measured is ... OD - 1 1/16" ... 1/8" THK (with ID : 13/16" )

Do you think the - 1 1 /16" x 1/8" thk. o-ring might be the correct size ?
My o-ring came from Lyman & is part #2990689 .

Gary

Nol
03-17-2022, 10:38 AM
Big problem is the conversion size, we only have metric o-rings and they were sold on inside diameter
So 1 1/8 minus 2 x 1/8 makes an ID of 7/8" and 7/8 x 25,4 = 22,2mm and that is exact the inside diameter in the groove of the seal plug
But 1 1/8" x 25,4 = 28,575mm and that is 0,1mm smaller then the inside diameter of the space where the lube is (I call that the cilinder)
The 1 1/16" ring is converted 27mm which is 1,5mm smaller then de ID of the cilinder
I did not order the 1 1/16" and I was almost for sure the 1 1/8" would solve the problem but not.
So I think I have to order the rings from Lyman and therefor I check ebay but now I am more confused.
I understood it is Lyman Part #2990689 but a seller in the UK give an other number, Replacement item for Lyman 2990623

I just found this older topic
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-350960.html
This was one of the postings :
Forrest r
12-29-2017, 11:54 AM
The o-ring that goes on the top of the sizer dies is: Luber/sizer Lyman & RCBS 014= ―” ID by 1/16” thick
Lyman 450 bottom o-ring 023= 1 1/16” ID by 1/16” thick
Lyman 450 double plunger o-rings 212= 7/8” ID by 1/8” thick
I suggest that I have the double plunjer version so I bought the right o-rings but it did not solve the problem

I think there is no other way to solve the problem then buying original rings and I like to know what is the correct number.

Eddie Southgate
03-17-2022, 01:14 PM
You received bad information from Lyman. The pressure screw thread, length and reservoir diameter have been the same from earliest production of the 45 to the current 4500. The current 4500 pressure nut and its O rings can be retrofit in all of the sizers from the 45 through the 4500. Order 2 pieces of part number 2990689 and you will have what you need.

In the picture you show, the pressure nut is not yet down to the lube reservoir. It needs to start into the reservoir before there is friction to hold the nut and allow it continue to be tightened. Hold the outside of the nut with your fingers and turn the screw until the nut enters the reservoir. If you can’t keep the nut from spinning in your fingers when you turn the screw, check for old lube in the screw threads. Clean that out and it should be easy to spin the nut down.

The pressure screw diameter on the newer models is slightly larger . I know this because I replaced one that was turning but would not allow the pressure nut to pull into the tube . When I went to put the cap on the hole in the cap was too small to fit on the screw and had to be opened up just slightly . The threaded portion and the bottom of the screw is the same but the diameter of the top portion is not.

Petander
03-17-2022, 02:41 PM

This.

I have replaced my rings on various lubesizers with cheapo rings from assortment packages. They are usually plastic, not rubber like the good original ones ,- but they work.

EDIT: places like Lidl sell assortment packages for a few euros. There is some tolerance around the O ring size.

https://i.postimg.cc/0jTXKZdz/57a1e6f0b7010c325e865756777bd68cf62989aa.jpg

imashooter2
03-17-2022, 03:26 PM
The pressure screw diameter on the newer models is slightly larger . I know this because I replaced one that was turning but would not allow the pressure nut to pull into the tube . When I went to put the cap on the hole in the cap was too small to fit on the screw and had to be opened up just slightly . The threaded portion and the bottom of the screw is the same but the diameter of the top portion is not.

3 months ago I purchased a new screw, part number 2990599 for a many year old gray 450. It fit perfectly to all interfaces including the base, the threads, the length and the reservoir cap.

bdicki
03-17-2022, 05:42 PM
I have cut o rings and super glued them back together, they make kits to do just that.
https://www.huyett.com/products/hydraulics-pneumatics/o-rings/o-ring-tools/disp-ormsplice?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl_WLmI7O9gIVeh6tBh2Z5Q d-EAQYASABEgKYTPD_BwE
https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-112-O-Ring-Making-Kit/dp/B00065T1C2/ref=asc_df_B00065T1C2/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198084409140&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10693444032623417101&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011535&hvtargid=pla-392435082664&psc=1

Nol
03-17-2022, 06:10 PM
Sorry ReloaderFred for the ebay links and thanks for removing them

Does anyone know the difference between Lyman part #2990689 and #2990623 ?

gwpercle
03-17-2022, 06:40 PM
Big problem is the conversion size, we only have metric o-rings and they were sold on inside diameter
So 1 1/8 minus 2 x 1/8 makes an ID of 7/8" and 7/8 x 25,4 = 22,2mm and that is exact the inside diameter in the groove of the seal plug
But 1 1/8" x 25,4 = 28,575mm and that is 0,1mm smaller then the inside diameter of the space where the lube is (I call that the cilinder)
The 1 1/16" ring is converted 27mm which is 1,5mm smaller then de ID of the cilinder
I did not order the 1 1/16" and I was almost for sure the 1 1/8" would solve the problem but not.
So I think I have to order the rings from Lyman and therefor I check ebay but now I am more confused.
I understood it is Lyman Part #2990689 but a seller in the UK give an other number, Replacement item for Lyman 2990623

I just found this older topic
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-350960.html
This was one of the postings :
Forrest r
12-29-2017, 11:54 AM
The o-ring that goes on the top of the sizer dies is: Luber/sizer Lyman & RCBS 014= ―” ID by 1/16” thick
Lyman 450 bottom o-ring 023= 1 1/16” ID by 1/16” thick
Lyman 450 double plunger o-rings 212= 7/8” ID by 1/8” thick
I suggest that I have the double plunjer version so I bought the right o-rings but it did not solve the problem

I think there is no other way to solve the problem then buying original rings and I like to know what is the correct number.

The number shown on the Lyman packing slip for the extra o-ring is #2990689 .

They show the Pressure Nut Assembly w/ 2- o rings installed as #2990708 .

I did a Lyman site search for product part number - # 2990623 - that part number was not found .
It seems only parts for the 4500 are showing up and #2990623 may be a true 450 part number
but I can't even find a 450 parts diagram to check ...Lyman has hidden it and I can't remember where / how to access the 450 parts diagram and numbers ... they have changed their web site .

If those "make your own o-ring kits " really work ... that would solve a lot of problems .
I have never heard of making o-rings ... I need to get out more !

I went back and re-read what Lyman wrote to you . I'm confused as to what fits what . A couple years ago I ordered these replacement parts and the up grade kit from Lyman as being for a 450 ...they still sold them as for a 450 . Mine is grey in color and had a brass expansion ring as a seal ...no o-rings at all .

All I can think of is double check with Lyman as to the correct part number is and use that number to order .
I'm sorry this is turning into such a nightmare ...it shouldn't be this messed up ... I hear powder coating doesn't require any o-rings .
Gary

Nol
03-17-2022, 07:00 PM
Thanks Gary, I also did a Lyman search on #2990623 and I also could not find something and therefor I also think it is the part number for the 2 o-rings for the older 450
I hope someone have the manual from the 450 with the exploded view and part numbers to check
Maybe he/she can post it here for everyone who need it
I want to order the rings soon and want to order it in the UK because it is faster en cheaper, 2 dollar more for 6 seater plug rings but they have part number 2990623
I donīt need the sizer die rings

bdicki
03-17-2022, 07:11 PM
The point of my post is that you can cut a section out of to too big o ring and make it smaller as long as it's the correct thickness. You can make a 1 1/8 into a 1 1/16, we did this in industrial settings with no problems.

Nol
03-18-2022, 05:52 PM
I always keep manuals for quite a long time so yes I found the original guide that came with my 450 lubricator/sizer
On page 73 is the exploded view of the new style version and on page 74 from the old version, I have the new style version.
Now I can see that part 2 is the pressure nut and part 3 are the o-rings for the nut
Part 8 is the seal plug and part 7 is the o-ring for the seal plug
Part number of the o-rings of the pressure nut is 2990689 and for the seal plug is 2990623

Conclusion is that I have to order #2990689
Yes I know you told me before but I was confused because of my English
I am realy sorry for that and I apologise
Lucky me with my 71 years I am not to old to learn.

This is the exploded view of the new style, I also have a picture of the old style press

hd09
03-19-2022, 08:19 AM
measured some spares came up with 13/16'' id 1/8'' thick

hd09
03-19-2022, 08:35 AM
converted best I could 20.63 mm id 3.17 mm thick

Nol
03-19-2022, 11:50 AM
@hd09, your conversion is correct but we donīt have 20,63mm ID rings here, we have 20 and 21 rings
I try rings with 3mm thick but as you can see 1/8" is just a little bit more then 3mm
Therfor I ordered 2 original sets but have to wait 6-8 weeks before they arrive here :)
That is no problem since I have some ammo made :Fire:

gwpercle
03-19-2022, 05:20 PM
I always keep manuals for quite a long time so yes I found the original guide that came with my 450 lubricator/sizer
On page 73 is the exploded view of the new style version and on page 74 from the old version, I have the new style version.
Now I can see that part 2 is the pressure nut and part 3 are the o-rings for the nut
Part 8 is the seal plug and part 7 is the o-ring for the seal plug
Part number of the o-rings of the pressure nut is 2990689 and for the seal plug is 2990623

Conclusion is that I have to order #2990689
Yes I know you told me before but I was confused because of my English
I am realy sorry for that and I apologise
Lucky me with my 71 years I am not to old to learn.

This is the exploded view of the new style, I also have a picture of the old style press

No apologies necessary ... I'm 72 and you're 71 ...that and along with the differences in language and differences in measuring and difficulty in conversion ... I think we are doing PDG (Pretty Darn Good) I'm glad you found the 450 guide with the correct part numbers .
I was trying to remember where mine was , I know I kept it ... but I'm poor at organizing ... I felt it would have the answer . I don't know why but I found 4500 pdf manuals and 45 pdf manuals on the internet but NO 450 manuals ??? I beleve my 450 manual is stuck between the pages of a Handloaders Digest Book ... last seen in 1975 ... but still here .
Part numbers should not be this hard to find with the wide world web at our finger tips ...every question should be easily answered by the magic of the computer ... so why wasn't the 450 manual on the computer ... stupid computer .

Here's to old guys who don't throw away original guide manuals :drinks:

I found my 450 manual stuck in the 1978 edition of "Handloaders Digest"
why there I haven't a clue but I still have it .

Gary

Nol
03-19-2022, 05:57 PM
Thanks I feel much better now :p and :lovebooli
I have an ordner with all the papers and manuals which I want to keep including the bills of the firearms which I bought in the States and there it was.
Now that I know the 450 part numbers I also find a new pressure nut and I consider to order one, just incase

gwpercle
03-21-2022, 02:23 PM
Thanks I feel much better now :p and :lovebooli
I have an ordner with all the papers and manuals which I want to keep including the bills of the firearms which I bought in the States and there it was.
Now that I know the 450 part numbers I also find a new pressure nut and I consider to order one, just incase

If you can ... order everything you can get ... Lyman has a habit of just dropping replacement parts .
I ordered a complete rebuild kit and upgrade kit maybe 4 years ago ... now the Lyman site has been revised and I can't find any 450 parts on the site . Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place ...seems Lyman liked to hide the replacement parts for the 450 anyway ...they did a good job this time .
Gary

Nol
03-21-2022, 02:50 PM
Like I wrote Lyman told me all parts of the 4500 are interchangeble with the 450 except the pressure nut and o-rings
But now I understand that o-rings are for the 45 and 450 and 4500 so maybe also the pressure nut ? I donīt know itīs all confusing.
I suggest if the o-ring fits the 45 & 450 & 4500 then the pressure nut should have the same size so the nut from the 4500 should also fit the 45 & 450
Or am I wrong ?
However I am happy that I could order 2 set of o-rings at Ebay and a new pressure nut for the 450 in Germany.

Just receive a message from the store in Germany, pressure nut is out of stock :evil:

45DUDE
03-21-2022, 08:00 PM
Sorry ReloaderFred for the ebay links and thanks for removing them

Does anyone know the difference between Lyman part #2990689 and #2990623 ?

2990689 is the two 0 rings for the pressure nut------ 2990146 is the pressure nut. YOUR PHOTO IN POST 23 worked for the last three 450's I overhauled. IT LOOKS LIKE different prints--2990708 is pressure nut WITH 0rings. Lyman will send you a catalog.

JonB_in_Glencoe
03-21-2022, 08:57 PM
Like I wrote Lyman told me all parts of the 4500 are interchangeble with the 450 except the pressure nut and o-rings
But now I understand that o-rings are for the 45 and 450 and 4500 so maybe also the pressure nut ? I donīt know itīs all confusing.
I suggest if the o-ring fits the 45 & 450 & 4500 then the pressure nut should have the same size so the nut from the 4500 should also fit the 45 & 450
Or am I wrong ?
However I am happy that I could order 2 set of o-rings at Ebay and a new pressure nut for the 450 in Germany.

Just receive a message from the store in Germany, pressure nut is out of stock :evil:

The Pressure nut and the pressure screw and O-rings for the 4500
https://www.lymanproducts.com/4500-lubricator-sizer-replacement-parts

As far as I know, they will work for the 45 and 450.

Nol
04-13-2022, 02:42 PM
Yesterday I receive the o-rings and guess what : did not solve the problem
Nut still turns around when I turn the spindle.
Now I am waiting for the heating pad maybe that helps

imashooter2
04-13-2022, 04:12 PM
Take the press off its base. Look at the bottom where the spindle head is visible. Turn the spindle. Does the head turn?

Tap the spindle out the bottom of the press and inspect the threads.

Are the o rings on the nut too large to allow it to be inserted into the lube reservoir bore? They should be sized so that they need significant screw pressure to compress them enough to enter the bore.

Bazoo
04-13-2022, 04:19 PM
Does the nut pull down into the unit until it hits the lube? Then spin before it makes pressure? Or does it spin as soon as it gets into the housing?

Bazoo
04-13-2022, 04:23 PM
Dumb question. You are using two O rings and not just one?

The picture on the first page, and the picture of the different angles all show only one O ring installed.

First of all thanks for your answers

@slim 1836
I did that but it did not solve the problem
I put a 10mm thick aluminium plate under de press and heat it up with an iron, plate get warm just like the press it self but the seal plug keep turn around when I turn the spindle

@gwpercle
What I understand is that the 450 was the previous model and later came the 4500.
Lyman wrote me that the 4500 seal plug is not interchangable with the 450 so I understand that the o-rings are not the same.
Your sizes are different from the size Lyman wrote me.
I also measure the plug and OD is 1,1/16 so the size of your ring is not compatable with my plug
I think that is why Lyman wrote me that the lugs are not interchagable because the 4500 is bigger
And the difference between OD and ID is not as much as twice the thickness ?

@baltimoreed
I replace the 2 o-rings on advice of Lyman and before I did that I clean the hole press and also the spindel which works smootly now

The only one that I have to stretch a little is the 23mm ring
I can buy a 22 or 21mm ID ring but they are smaller then the ID of the space where the sealplug goes in
Inside diameter of that space is 28,6mm and the ring with ID of 22mm have an OD of 22 + 6 = 28mm

45DUDE
04-13-2022, 05:04 PM
You have to hold the nut so it doesn't spin or screw it down until it touches and then turn the spindle. If the 0rings touch the sides of the cylinder it has to go down.

shortlegs
04-13-2022, 07:28 PM
Check the holes in the body casting and see if something got inside and clogged the holes the lube flows through.From what you have said everything is functioning as it should but the lube cant be pushed thuough the holes therefore the pressure nut spins instead of pushing the lube out.

Nol
04-14-2022, 06:05 AM
Take the press off its base. Look at the bottom where the spindle head is visible. Turn the spindle. Does the head turn?
Tap the spindle out the bottom of the press and inspect the threads.
Are the o rings on the nut too large to allow it to be inserted into the lube reservoir bore? They should be sized so that they need significant screw pressure to compress them enough to enter the bore.

That head and spindle is turning
Threads is clean and I can turn the nut from top to base with my hand
O-rings are original Lyman ringīs

Does the nut pull down into the unit until it hits the lube? Then spin before it makes pressure? Or does it spin as soon as it gets into the housing?
Dumb question. You are using two O rings and not just one?

It start spinning as soon as the nut hits the lube and yes I use 2 o-rings

You have to hold the nut so it doesn't spin or screw it down until it touches and then turn the spindle. If the 0rings touch the sides of the cylinder it has to go down.

Yes I hold it by hand and srew it down until it touche the cylinder and then it goes down until it touch the lube, then it start spinning (truning)

Check the holes in the body casting and see if something got inside and clogged the holes the lube flows through.From what you have said everything is functioning as it should but the lube cant be pushed thuough the holes therefore the pressure nut spins instead of pushing the lube out.

Even I clean the cylinder and die I am intent to do it again today, heating up the press and take all lube out and clean the press special the outgoing part.
Maybe there is something that stock the lube, I did not check that when I clean the press the first time.

imashooter2
04-14-2022, 10:22 AM
Pull the die and nut out of the press and melt out the lube that’s in there. Replace it with something softer.

I cant think of anything else you haven’t already tried.

45DUDE
04-14-2022, 11:04 AM
Measure in .001 the inside of the cylinder. This makes me wont to buy it just to keep from pulling the rest of my hair out trying to fix the problem.:killingpc

Nol
04-14-2022, 02:30 PM
Today I clean the press inside as you can see on the picture
Top picture is everything out of the press and cleaned including the sizerdie
Top left picture is the cylinder cleaned from lube
Top right is a view inside the space where the sizerdie is located
Bottom left is the cylinder with a light shinning in the space where the sizerdie is located
Bottom right is a view where the sizerdie is located but with a light shinning in the cylinder
Everything is clean now from old lube

Is there anything bad or wrong ?

Tomorrow it is Good Friday and this weekend is Easter in the Netherlands so next week I can shop for a softer lub stick
So far I used Lee lube and never had a problem but maybe an other brand is better for now, if so which is better to buy ?

@45DUDE I donīt have the tools to measure the inside of the cylinder and I donīt have so much hair anymore so there is not so much to pull out :mrgreen:
But I understand what you mean, it cost me so far ą$50 and if I trow the press away then I also trow away the $50 so I keep going on to fix the problem but I donīt spent to much $ anymore
If I canīt fix the problem I keep the press to size the bullets and lube them separate

Bazoo
04-14-2022, 06:00 PM
Don’t forget you could try the Teflon plumbers tape under the O rings on the nut to give it more thickness.

Nol
04-14-2022, 06:29 PM
I know and I did that with the o-rings which I bought local but now I have original Lyman o-rings so I donīt think I need teflon.
My hope is the lube, I have old Lee lube and next week I am intent to buy new lube but I like to know which is good.
I read about soft lube but which lube is soft ?

imashooter2
04-14-2022, 07:09 PM
50/50 alox/beeswax is common and about as soft as anything.

shortlegs
04-14-2022, 08:27 PM
Try leaving the sizing die out of the press and see if the lube will push through to that area. If that works that works put a sizing die in and see if it works. Try putting bullet lube on the wall of the lube reservoir and on the o rings. There may be too much friction between the clean reservoir making the o rings stick to it but allowing the pressure nut to spin on the o rings. If that is happening put some of the bullet lube between the pressure nut and the o rings too. My pressure nut o ring assembly is covered with the bullet lube and I think the lube is helping to hold the pressure nut assembly so it will screw down and push the lube out.

Nol
04-15-2022, 06:37 AM
50/50 alox/beeswax is common and about as soft as anything.

I understand Alox is hard to buy and the 350 and 2138F version are discontinued
I have one bottle of 4oz LLA if I use that how much beewax should I mix with LLA to get a 50/50 lube ? I think beewax is heavier or am I wrong ?
I also read a mix of Lanolin with beewax, lanolin is easier te get here but I am not sure if that works fine in the Lyman.
But I also read other mixing stuff like olive oil or vaseline or crisco
Please advice me which one is the best for my original Trapdoor and Sharp carbine and how much I need to mix with beewax.

@shortlegs if I push the Lee lube through that area and it does not work fine I have to clean the press again so therefor I first try to make / use the 50/50 lube.
Then I know it is softer en brand new, my Lee lube is old and quite hard.
That and the combination of the bad o-rings could be the problem, at least I hope that is the problem

Nol
04-15-2022, 10:03 AM
Good Friday became bad friday
I try the nut in the cylinder and push it all the way down, no problem but then it had to come up and while I was doing that the nut stopped and it was hard to turn the spindle.
Suddenly it was easy to turn the spinle and that gave me a bad feeling and yes the threat in the nut was broken and gone
So I have to wait untill I receive the new nut which I ordered a few weeks ago but which is still out of order
I am thinking about to make a new nut myself, does anyone know the size of the threat ? I think it is 3/8"

Hossfly
04-15-2022, 10:09 AM
Sounds to me like it just wore out.

shortlegs
04-15-2022, 11:39 AM
I thing you just found the problem

Hossfly
04-15-2022, 12:08 PM
If you could find a nut to fit just clear the old rod threads in the old pusher nut and weld or solder the new nut to your old pusher nut and prolly last the rest of your life. Or have some one do it for you.

imashooter2
04-15-2022, 12:27 PM
I understand Alox is hard to buy and the 350 and 2138F version are discontinued
I have one bottle of 4oz LLA if I use that how much beewax should I mix with LLA to get a 50/50 lube ? I think beewax is heavier or am I wrong ?
I also read a mix of Lanolin with beewax, lanolin is easier te get here but I am not sure if that works fine in the Lyman.
But I also read other mixing stuff like olive oil or vaseline or crisco
Please advice me which one is the best for my original Trapdoor and Sharp carbine and how much I need to mix with beewax.

@shortlegs if I push the Lee lube through that area and it does not work fine I have to clean the press again so therefor I first try to make / use the 50/50 lube.
Then I know it is softer en brand new, my Lee lube is old and quite hard.
That and the combination of the bad o-rings could be the problem, at least I hope that is the problem

No need to make your own unless you want to. All the makers of lube sticks sell a 50/50 lube. They give it various names... Alox lube, NRA formula, 50/50. Your local sources should have something for you.

Nol
04-15-2022, 12:52 PM
@ Hossfly, could be but I am so sure about it

@shortlegs, quest what I was searching in my house for a nut that fit the spindle thread but I donīt have one.
Problem is we have metric thread
Do you know the size of the thread ? Is dat 3/8" ?

@Imashooter2, I check our local stores

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-15-2022, 10:19 PM
@shortlegs, quest what I was searching in my house for a nut that fit the spindle thread but I donīt have one.
Problem is we have metric thread
Do you know the size of the thread ? Is dat 3/8" ?

Lyman has a penchant for odd ball threads ...makes 'em kind of proprietary, I guess?
Anyway, the pressure screw and pressure nut is 3/8-20

uscra112
04-15-2022, 10:30 PM
Needed a new "pressure seal" for one of my 450s which had the old brass type. Came across this guy:
Paul Brown
1049 BUCKRIDGE RD
WETUMPKA AL
36093-2326
Phone 334-399-1773

He refurbishes 450s, and seems to know them inside and out. Lyman doesn't have pressure seals in stock but he does. Shipped my order same day. Small business, doesn't do credit cards but does do Paypal.

Look on Gunbroker for >Lyman 450 pressure seal<

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/930110633

Nol
04-16-2022, 05:02 AM
@JonB_in_Glencoe, thanks for the size. 3/8-20 makes it more difficult to get a nut here in the Netherlands, regular 3/8" nut is difficult but possible but 3/8-20 is hard to find

@uscra112, thanks for the link but it say "no international shipments". If someone can help me to get one I appreciate and ofcourse I pay all cost in advance

HAPPY EASTERN TO ALL OF YOU

uscra112
04-16-2022, 05:14 AM
re: International shipment: I'll find out what I can do. It's been a few years, but i was able to ship Bultaco parts to some European countries when I was selling on evilBay. Used a USPS "small shipments" protocol. Will be at the Post Office on Tuesday (19 Apr). Get back to you then. Is your spindle OK? With the nut stripping out I'd have some concern about it.

uscra112
04-16-2022, 05:38 AM
Lyman has a penchant for odd ball threads ...makes 'em kind of proprietary, I guess?
Anyway, the pressure screw and pressure nut is 3/8-20

Lyman was almost certainly in the habit of maintaining backward compatibility with the original Ideal products, which started long before WW1, when the Army forced thread standardization on manufacturers. Before that it was every man for himself. Machine tool builders were notorious for using proprietary threads. So were gun makers. I think it may have had something to do with the fact that each manufacturer had to make his own threading tools in the toolroom. So the thread pitches were entirely the whim of the factory superintendent. Don't get me started on British motorcycles.

Making tong tool dies for oddball cartridges like .25 Stevens and .32 Colt had me stalled for quite a while, because the thread on 310 dies is one that my WW2 South Bend toolroom lathe gearbox can't do. I eventually resorted to making inserts that go into a universal decapper body.

'Course today, with CNC lathes, strange threads are just a matter of programming.

Nol
04-16-2022, 06:21 AM
re: International shipment: I'll find out what I can do. It's been a few years, but i was able to ship Bultaco parts to some European countries when I was selling on evilBay. Used a USPS "small shipments" protocol. Will be at the Post Office on Tuesday (19 Apr). Get back to you then. Is your spindle OK? With the nut stripping out I'd have some concern about it.

I appreciate your help very much. :awesome:
I take a serious look at the spindle and not all threads are sharp anymore so if you donīt mind it might be better to buy a new spindle too then I am sure the nut fit correctly to the spindle.
By the way I have the yellow 450 press.

uscra112
04-16-2022, 06:33 AM
Yellow?

Nol
04-16-2022, 06:45 AM
This is my press

slim1836
04-16-2022, 10:39 AM
Looks orange to me.

Slim

Nol
04-16-2022, 10:45 AM
Me to but after my search on internet most people describe it as the yellow press [smilie=b: :D

uscra112
04-19-2022, 04:31 PM
Me to but after my search on internet most people describe it as the yellow press [smilie=b: :D

Sent you a P/M

Nol
06-25-2022, 07:50 AM
It is some time ago I respond here but I want to thank uscra112 te get me the parts : THANK YOU

I was out for some time so I could not do something but now that I am back I want to start to make new lube because I think my RCBS lube is to old and to stiff
I bought the RCBS bullet lube when I was in the States between 1990 and 2000 so it is over 20 years old.
My intension is to meld the RCBS lube and add some oil or something like that so I donīt have to trow away the RCBS
Can someone advice me if that will work and what oil or something else is the best to add ?

uscra112
06-25-2022, 09:39 AM
All kinds of things - vaseline, olive oil, lithium grease, Lee Liquid Alox......regardless what you use it won't require much.

But if it's the dark brown beeswax-and-Alox kind, just melt it and pour it into the 450's reservoir. I'm using some Lyman "NRA" lube that my Dad had stored up in the 1970's. Kept in its' wrapper, it never goes bad.

I have a small glass kitchen measuring cup with pouring lip, about 250 ml., into which I put the lube I want to melt. Stand this in a bowl of water, (not too deep) and microwave it. Depending on the amount of water, it may only need 2 minutes. Let it cool again, and see if you still want to add anything.

When pouring liquid into the 450, have a sizing die installed or the lube will run out the bottom. Fill to about 2 cm. from the top. Any more and you won't be able to start the piston. I've never actually measured it, but I think the 450 holds less than 100 ml.

Store the little cup in a sealed plastic bag so dirt won't get into it. You'll use it again, I guarantee. I rarely use the preformed sticks anymore. I'm not much of a believer in "Magic Moose Milk" lubes. All but one of my lubrisizers has NRA lube in it. The last one has White Label "3000" for high velocity rifle bullets, which I don't do anymore anyway. I'm slowly using it up on .25-20 bullets.

Phil W.

Nol
06-26-2022, 06:56 AM
Do I understand well you fill the 450 container with melted lube ?
My intension was to melt the dark brown RCBS lube and add just a little oil or something and pour it in a self made container like this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbbHVfZSBoQ

This is the lube I have

I never had a problem with this lube but since the piston problem I am more carefull

ascast
06-26-2022, 08:23 AM
I have found this to be a nutty post. I will go with the guy in Alabama. But, for my tractor hydraulics, theoringstore.com will certainly be getting a call. Does anybody have a guess as how to classify the Lyman O-rings? I mean hydraulic, high pressure? I have never dealt with "theoringstore"- just tossing it out there.

JonB_in_Glencoe
06-26-2022, 09:13 AM
Do I understand well you fill the 450 container with melted lube ?
My intension was to melt the dark brown RCBS lube and add just a little oil or something and pour it in a self made container like this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbbHVfZSBoQ

This is the lube I have

I never had a problem with this lube but since the piston problem I am more carefull
I understand your concern, but I wouldn't add anything to that lube, I would use it as is.
RCBS states that is alox/beeswax mixed to the NRA specs of 50-50. Many other companies made the same formula, it's a very good lube. I have some NRA 50-50 made by Tamarack that is 40 years old. It's not dried out, I don't think it can dry out. When you start lubing/sizing, if the ambient temperature is cool, just add some heat to the lubesizer, before you put any pressure on the lube.

Nol
06-26-2022, 09:23 AM
OK thanks, I give it a try

uscra112
06-26-2022, 12:38 PM
Yup, melt the lube and pour it in. That's how Harry Pope said to fill his custom bullet lube tool. Eliminates air pockets.

I aim a 40 watt heat lamp at my 450s for 20 minutes or so before I start a session. That softens the lube so it flows much more easily. Some people buy special "heater plates" to mount the lubrisizer on, but I'm not that anal.

Yes, that stuff is NRA 50-50, and it can't "dry out" because it has no solvents in it. As I posted, I'm using up some that my Dad bought almost 50 years ago.

Nol
06-26-2022, 01:41 PM
Thank you again Phil, I come back later to let you all know how it went

Nol
07-04-2022, 09:37 AM
Before I put the lub in I want to be sure it is going to work so I will not damage anything, sorry be a little afraid
Therefor I made my self a heating pad from 2 aluminium plates of 10mm thick and fix a temperature sensor between the 2 plates and a heating tube 24V - 40W
All are controlled by a temperature controller
I set it up to start heating at 29,9°C = 85,82°F and switch it off at 30°C = 86°F then it runs up to 30,7°C = 87,26°F
I donīt know how high I should set up the temperature

uscra112
07-04-2022, 10:53 AM
My rather crude heating method has the surface of the 450 at something more like 40 degrees C. Just judging by touch.

JonB_in_Glencoe
07-05-2022, 11:27 AM
You're RCBS lube (NRA 50-50) will not need much. The sizer should just be warm to the touch. I've read people using temps in the range of 95šF to 105šF (35šC to 40šC) for NRA 50-50.
Trial and error will tell you how much heat is too much for your lube, AKA: runny lube...even if you were to get as high as 125šF, you will not hurt your sizer, you'll just have a little mess.

BLAHUT
07-05-2022, 05:53 PM
I put a handheld hair dryer i stole from the wife, run it on low and move it closer or ferther away as needed, too hot too cold > i use a softer lube now do not usually need heat unless it is relly cold in my reloading room.

imashooter2
07-05-2022, 10:09 PM
50/50 hasn’t needed heat for me even in a 65° F or so basement in winter.

gwpercle
07-06-2022, 11:39 AM
I put a handheld hair dryer i stole from the wife, run it on low and move it closer or ferther away as needed, too hot too cold > i use a softer lube now do not usually need heat unless it is relly cold in my reloading room.

:goodpost:
LIKE !!!
Soft Lube Works Better Than Hard Lube (in handgun boolits) ...trust me !
Shop Light makes a good lube/sizer warmer , lay it next to body of unit .
Gary

Nol
07-24-2022, 06:48 AM
Finally I test the press with the RCBS lube without heating pad and guess what : it works as new
I am so happy and I want to thank you all for all advices and special uscra112 (Phil) who send me the new stuff.
Maybe I never need the self made heating pad but I like to make one and you never know maybe I need it in the futhure.
Again thank you all so much

uscra112
07-24-2022, 07:11 AM
Global Worming notwithstanding, it will be cold come next winter!

gwpercle
07-25-2022, 04:58 PM
Finally I test the press with the RCBS lube without heating pad and guess what : it works as new
I am so happy and I want to thank you all for all advices and special uscra112 (Phil) who send me the new stuff.
Maybe I never need the self made heating pad but I like to make one and you never know maybe I need it in the futhure.
Again thank you all so much

AWESOME ! :drinks:

I'm glad to hear you got it fixed ...
I'm a old 450 user myself ... always used soft lubes ... they just work better .
Gary