PDA

View Full Version : 35 caliber bullet measurements

Ajohns
03-10-2022, 09:59 AM
I know this is not cast related, and am sorry.
Just wanted to know for reloading purposes, does anyone know an accurate measurement between the two Hornady 200 gr 35 caliber pills. On the standard 200 gr interlock bullet to the 200 gr ftx, cannelure to the base of bullet?
I have my home built bolt action and though I can't seem to find the ftx bullets anywhere on the shelf, I did find some regular interlocks. Before I start working up a load and using ftx data, I'd like to know the difference of seating depth in the case. My COL isn't as picky as a lever.

Thanks!

BK7saum
03-10-2022, 07:30 PM
First of all, what caliber are you loading for. The COL is going to be cartridge speific.

That said, I have never really worried about COL if I am working up loads. I load to magazine length, or to where the base of the bullet is at the neck shoulder junction. If you the COL per hornady might be slightly different between the 2 bullets, but i doubt it is any significant amount. Sorry i couldnt specifically answer your question.

Fitz
03-10-2022, 07:51 PM
the 200 gr. interlock is .275 from the cannelure to base of bullet that is a RN interlock #3515, the 200 gr FTX #35105 is .510 from cannelure to base , if i understand the question correctly

Ajohns
03-11-2022, 08:55 AM
Thanks Fitz, that what I was looking for.
Though I wasn't specific enough either. It's a home built 35 Remington I've done, on a 95 Mauser.
I also didn't say what regular bullet and that being the pointed one and not the round nose one. I was curious of the 200 pointed interlock vs. 200 FTX, cannelure to base. I was able to find the pointed interlock, but no FTX's anywhere.
This magazine of my rifle will take a long cartridge, but the chamber maybe won't, we'll see.
For load development, I'm more concerned how much bullet is seated in the case, per load data. A 200 RN is a bit shallower than the FTX, and you don't see much data for the 35 Rem with a 200 pt interlock.

TurnipEaterDown
03-11-2022, 09:34 AM
Ajohns: If helpful, the 200 35 Cal Hornady Spire Point is ~ 0.395 from cannelure midpoint to bullet base.
I look at the 35 Rem much like a magnum handgun cartridge: It's pretty straight and bullet intrusion matters quickly for case volume. There is another guy on here, Larry Gibson, who seems to have done a fair amount of pressure work in a bolt gun. You might look into his posts.
I have a 35 Rem TC Contender, so much same as you, I load to fit for best accuracy regardless of length. I did like LeverEvolution powder, and H4895 w/ the 200 Hornady SP.
I didn't much like the 180 Hornady SP on deer, worked wonderful on first couple, blew up on front leg bone and did not penetrate chest on the last one I shot with it. I know off topic, but offered for what it's worth.

Ajohns
03-11-2022, 10:27 AM
Turnip, exactly. Yes and thank you.
I have looked into Larry's posts for years, and is such a wealth of knowledge. We are fortunate to have him.
For some years and a few different guns, I have used the factory FTX and have had good luck with them. I had decided a few years ago, I would build a bolt in this caliber just because it was fun to do, and try get some of the best features. Bolt action strength, accuracy, and an easy enough (for me anyways) project to do over winter.

But as you know, this FTX bullet was designed with OAL in mind for the firearms so chambered. I just looked at Larry's recent data yesterday on what H-LVR powder differences, grain wise, are between the regular round nose bullet and the FTX. And it's a bit. If the throat in my barrel doesn't allow the FTX out further, so be it. Also the same for the 200 Pointed Interlock. I will be checking with dummy rounds soon.

So, with this, I will get an idea of the difference of ogive start on them. And see what I can find.

Thanks again!

Larry Gibson
03-12-2022, 09:54 AM
Ajohns

I've not found any of the FTX bullets to experiment/test. I seriously doubt I will for some time to come given the current ammo/component situation. However. What bolt action did you build your 35 Rem on? With my M91 Argie 35 Rem I had planned on seating the FTX bullets out to just off the leade and forgo any crimp as it isn't necessary in the bolt gun. I have a quantity of Rem 150 gr FPs and 200 gr Rem RNs. I also have about 80 Winchester 200 gr Silvertips which I'm saving for hunting. The cannelures on all three are very close to the same from the bullet base. If seated to the cannelures (for crimping) the bullet bases are right at the bottom of the case neck. As with you, I'm not sure yet where the FTX bullet base will end up when seated to length for my rifles chamber/throat.

TurnipEaterDown
03-12-2022, 10:33 AM
Ajohns & Larry, how helpful would it be to you to know base to cannelure on the 200 FTX?
I have a few in a box that I saved for hunting, but I tend to save everything and would have to hunt for 50 more years, much more frequently than I can get away now, to use my stuff up, so... In short, offering to pull one and measure if helpful.

Myself Larry, I am curious if you ever ran 680 (WW/WC) or AA1680 in the 35 Rem and captured pressure readings?
I had great accuracy w/ WC680 and 180 Hornady, and the GRT suggests reasonable pressures, but odd observations began to turn up for me, and while nothing horrible happened, I stopped using that powder in the 35. I tried it because the case volume wasn't too much of a stretch from the Herret, and I still had 6+ lb of it from the 17 Ackley Hornet which would take a lifetime to use.

Not a comment directly to either of you, but the posts get read at random, So in relation to post for general viewership I would comment that (to paraphrase a loading manual) a 180 gr bullet is not necessarily the same as another 180 gr bullet, and so when making a distinct change like this I usually start with the most tolerant & slow powder I have which is applicable (i.e. some stick that is known to not be quirky and is OK compressed or reduced), and work up to energy target and see if I can get good groups.
I learned that for my own toying "off the grid" to, in general, not get too adventurous with the new ball wonder powders. Superformance, seems tolerant w/ "exploratory" loadings. LeverEvolution, I quickly had an issue w/ off book loading and decided that powder would be used from manual loads only. The LeverEvolution learning was stark even in relation to a number of surplus military powders I have gone exploring with, and so I Think there is something possibly very different about that powder. Just my feeling, don't want a repeat of my surprise.

Larry Gibson
03-12-2022, 04:28 PM
The base to cannelure measurement of the FTX bullet wouldn't do me much good. However, the base to the beginning of the ogive would be nice to know. With that I could see how deep, if any, the bullet, when seated to the leade, would be below the case neck.

TurnipEaterDown
03-13-2022, 07:20 AM
Ajohns & Larry, I pulled a factory Hornady 200 FTX 35 Rem bullet and got the following:
Total length: 1.075" (tip got a little damaged from my inertia puller, bent, so maybe a smidge longer when pristine).
Base to cannelure: 0.47" (Eyeball midpoint of canelure, so why report to 3rd decimal)
Base to Ogive using Stoney Point Comparator w/ 35 cal insert: 0.557"

Larry Gibson
03-13-2022, 10:49 AM
Thank you, that .557" measurement is exactly what i was looking for.

BTW; did you happen to weigh the LeveRevolution charge of that cartridge?

rockrat
03-13-2022, 11:26 AM
About a half dozen boxes at our gun show last weekend, of the FTX. Course, the price was $50+ per box

TurnipEaterDown
03-13-2022, 12:09 PM
Larry, the weighed powder charge is 38.7, which would seem to be really low if it were canister grade LeverEvolution.
Of course, "we" generally use canister, "they" hardly ever do.

I even banged the puller upside down on my desk to see if any power stuck in the puller. Nope.
I thought I had chronographed these when I shot them, and thought I remembered 2000 fps ish out of my 14", but I don;t see that I have it in my logs. So, I must have forgot to write down, or just believed the box. The second would be bad practice...
Maybe if I get the gumption I will troll my file folder full of chronograph tapes.

When I did chronograph my LeverEvolution loads w/ Lyman 204 gr RN, and Accurate 205B (handgun bullet), I found it took me 45gr, and 43gr respectively to reach 2000 fps.
These should be reasonably safe in my mind, as the Hodgdon data uses up to 45 on a Hornady RN Jacketed 200 gr, and 41.4 on a 200 FTX, for 2200 & 2100 out of rifle barrels. The cast bullets obviously are more density efficient than jacketed (shorter for equal weight) and same same for RN versus pointed. I say this only for other reader benefit in case head scratching ensues when I say that I am comfortable w/ loads ~8% over some other 200 gr bullet maximum. I also find that lead bullets achieve higher velocity at lower pressure than many jacketed (again, for general readership, not you particularly).

Larry Gibson
03-13-2022, 01:19 PM
The 200 gr Rem Cor-Lok over 45 gr LeveRevolution ran 2425 fps (26" barrel) at only 36,300 psi out of my M91 Argie. That was right at 100% load density so I'm thinking that should be doable under the FTX seated out to just off the leade. At 2400 + fps with that bullet it should hold 1750 - 1800 fps at 300 yards with, given a 200 yard zero, probably about 12" +/- of drop. Be interesting to see......

Ajohns
03-14-2022, 07:52 AM
Larry, it was built on a 1895 Mauser.
Yes, I agree, loaded right it can be quite a round. Lots of good info here, and all helpful
By the data I looked up on the ballistics calculator, 2.25" high at 100yds, it's dead on 175, 1.875" low at 200yds.
That being .3 bc bullet, 2400fps.