PDA

View Full Version : Being logged out despite clicking the "remember me" check box

DocWatson
03-10-2022, 03:39 AM
Apparently I'm being logged out due to inactivity, even though I'm only composing new posts. (At least I think that's what happening.) Is it because I have fewer than a certain number of posts, is it that just there is a timer with a short time limit, or is it something else?

Sasquatch-1
03-10-2022, 08:33 AM
If it is during periods where your computer is sitting idle and going into sleep mode, it may be clearing cookies and history, along with other things that causes you to be logged out.

DocWatson
03-10-2022, 09:29 AM
It's been when I've still been using it (that I recall), and my history is never cleared (links from last fall still show up as having been clicked, for example).

racepres
03-10-2022, 10:21 AM
^^^ Hmmmm What antivirus are you using???

Minerat
03-10-2022, 11:06 AM
It's not your post count. It is most likely something on your computer. Check your power use plan it may have a setting that disconnects from the internet if you are not using it for a short time.

No_1
03-10-2022, 05:23 PM
We don’t log folks out.

DocWatson
03-11-2022, 03:27 AM
^^^ Hmmmm What antivirus are you using???
The antivirus software is unpaid Malwarebytes, so it's passive unless I ask it to scan. But that does raise other questions, like those Minerat asked.

It's not your post count. It is most likely something on your computer. Check your power use plan it may have a setting that disconnects from the internet if you are not using it for a short time.
I don't have a power plan (at least by that name). My computer remains active until three hours after I stop using it or I put it into sleep mode, and never logs off. I am, however, running Privacy Badger and uBlock Origin (under Firefox), among other extensions that are less likely to affect a BBCode forum.

We don’t log folks out.
Roger.

racepres
03-11-2022, 12:43 PM
I am, however, running Privacy Badger and uBlock Origin (under Firefox), among other extensions that are less likely to affect a BBCode forum.

Roger.
Never used those... but easy to disable in Firefox to Try!!!

Minerat
03-11-2022, 07:00 PM
I don't have a power plan (at least by that name). My computer remains active until three hours after I stop using it or I put it into sleep mode, and never logs off. I am, however, running Privacy Badger and uBlock Origin (under Firefox), among other extensions that are less likely to affect a BBCode forum.

In Windows 10 under settings then system it is called Power & Sleep or Battery. It could be one of those are causing the system to close the internet access down or timeout. This is on my lap top, my desk top does not have those but does have a screen saver setup but it only dims the screen.

DocWatson
03-16-2022, 03:21 AM
I'm using a Mac desktop with up-to-date software (well, other than one or two things like an MS Office program that shouldn't matter for this).

I did check the Displays and Energy Saver settings. The problem hasn't happened again.