PDA

View Full Version : Reloading 30 Super Carry

shooting on a shoestring
03-09-2022, 10:06 PM
So I bought a box of factory loaded 30 Super Carry ammunition today for the purpose to see what would be needed to reload for it. I’m assuming it’ll be awhile before dies sets and shell holders are available.

Turns out RCBS shell holder 12 for 22 Hornet fits. The Hornet rim diameter is 0.004” larger so 30 SC will slip right in the Hornet shell holder. For loading on a single stage press I don’t think the 0.004” extra clearance will be a problem.

The bullet diameter measured just forward of the case mouth measured 0.311”. I was expecting to see it as 0.312”. It could be the ogive has already started where I measured the assembled factory load.

It looks like dies for 32 SW/32 SWL will work just fine. At least that’s what I’ll try the first time I get to load some. I do have dies for 32 acp as well. Might need the taper crimp from that set. I have a mold for a 105 grain round flat point that will probably be my first try for a boolit.

Next thing I need is a gun to empty the brass.

I’m not a fan of the S&W Shield. Although I’ve never shot one so I guess I don’t have anything to base that bias on except I think it’s ugly and it seems really big for such small magazine capacity. I’ve heard Glock and Sig are working on chambering 30 SC in the G43 and P365 respectively. Those sound interesting to me.

It feels a bit odd to have ammunition before buying a gun. I usually work the other way around.

35remington
03-09-2022, 10:11 PM
I presume you are not speaking of the Shield Plus. Size in relation to mag capacity is not a problem there. Rather the opposite. In 30 SC it would be 15 plus one.

A G43 would be eight plus one in 30SC, so your gripe about large size for low capacity would apply in that situation.

Remiel
03-10-2022, 01:38 AM
It feels a bit odd to have ammunition before buying a gun. I usually work the other way around.

Not really, I have dies and brass for 35rem and don't own one yet.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Thundermaker
03-10-2022, 04:51 AM
The bullet diameter was advertised as .312". I think they designed it to use .32acp bullets.

ohen cepel
03-10-2022, 07:29 AM
I have been wondering about dies, etc for this. I would expect the holder for a 32acp would work. As I am a 32 fan and have dies for 32acp and 32mag I have been wondering if those could be pieced together to do the SC or not. Not ideal and I would buy the die set rather than using 2 others but have been pondering it.

G W Wade
03-10-2022, 07:56 AM
Years ago. 4 of us were maning the gun club table in search of new members. 2 would watch the table handing out fliers whilr the other 2 would go walkabout. Came back and was asked what I had found? Came out with a Sparks Summer Special IWB for a Browning Hi Power. He replied nice but I didn't know you had a Hi Power? Said I don't yet. Everyone laughed. That afternoon came back with a Galco Speed Scabbard for a Python. Same question again, followed by more laughter. Took several years but have filled both of them. In my defense, out of pocket was only $18 for both holsters and the Summer Special carries my Colt Officers just as nice as the gun that it was made for. Thanks for taking me down memory lane GW