PDA

View Full Version : Should I tell him or ???

Wolfdog91
03-09-2022, 09:49 PM
Was just walking to the break room and there was kid standing by an isle lookin confused, looked to be about 18-19 think ,had a piece of paper and I stop and ask if he needs some help. Says yeah looks at the paper and reads off : he's looking for a can of A I R ,a skyhook ,and a left handed hammer. I looked at him and and before I can say something he about runs off and says he thinks he knows where to find the hammer....... Y'all think I should go try and find him after this break ooooorrrr laugh Kids motivated I'll give hime that

Thumbcocker
03-09-2022, 09:51 PM
Just paying his dues.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

GhostHawk
03-09-2022, 10:01 PM
"Frame Stretcher" was my worst.

I worked for Marvin's Windows for 2 years, had a quality control guy come around 3-5 times a day. Each time he had something that would leave me standing there with a dumb look scratching my head. Funny thing is we became friends. I never got angry about it, never took it personal. And within a week or two I had come backs he'd never heard.

Let the kid pay his dues.

Then send him for a bucket of propwash.

country gent
03-09-2022, 10:06 PM
One shop was a bucket of steam.

I once sent a production foreman to the tool crib for a set of left handed allen wrenches. He was in the way and being a pain.

Texas by God
03-09-2022, 10:11 PM
Carry a 5 gallon bucket of water to the top of the drilling rig derrick to " refill the water table"!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Stewbaby
03-09-2022, 10:12 PM
Pre-dug post holes, stripped paint, pipe stretcher, spirit level bubbles, AC battery, vapor lock key, etc…looked for almost all of them working at a hardware store at 16.

Bazoo
03-09-2022, 10:15 PM
I got a car guy once with muffler bearings. Told him they spin an impeller and helps pull the exhaust out. And you gotta change them cause of the heat locks them up, kills your mpg.

G W Wade
03-09-2022, 10:16 PM
Worked in heavy repair shop. One of the other mechanics handed his gopher a styrofoam cup and hurry up a get him some gasoline. He could almost get back before the gas melted the cup. Had to stop him before we ran out of cups. GW

redriverhunter
03-09-2022, 10:19 PM
I was once sent out for a id10t form, I brought him back U R A Id10t form. Sent someone once to look for fallopian tubes.

HWooldridge
03-09-2022, 10:21 PM
We always sent people to look for the “brass magnet”. The hunt could go on for hours.

jakharath
03-09-2022, 10:22 PM
Oval pipe, board stretcher, sky hook...

CastingFool
03-09-2022, 10:30 PM
A bucket of prop wash, 100ft of flight line, metric crescent wrench.

TurnipEaterDown
03-09-2022, 10:47 PM
I used to manage a restaurant, got a couple guys at times to: mop the walk in freezer, and mop the driveway in winter. Had to be clean you know...

A friend who is a prankster needed some clamps, and since his mom was in town, she volunteered to get them. What kind she asked. "Not C" clamps he says. So, she asked for them... (Say it in your head a few times.)

SeabeeMan
03-09-2022, 10:57 PM
No way do you tell him. Just allow the sweet, sweet tradition of some light hazing continue for generations. The high point of my military experience was when I had a new guy looking for 150' of fallopian tube for 2 days.

These are typically stored next to the flight line, grid squares, board stretcher, EO and UT punches, bulkhead remover, ID-10-T forms, sound powered phone batteries, and the MSDS for A.I.R. The kind in the bucket, not the can, of course.

Collecting exhaust samples in trash bags is always acceptable training exercise.

We had one particularly bright guy over in the desert who was sent to get a bucket of sand from behind the smoke pit for the terrain model. Literally just sand, in Iraq. Came back 2 hours later with an empty bucket because he couldn't find any.

XDROB
03-09-2022, 10:57 PM
Metric crescent wrench, Left handed bacon flipper.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Paper Puncher
03-09-2022, 11:35 PM
I was sent to get a cable stretcher when a newbie in my unit. Went to the EM club and spent the rest of the day there. When asked why I didn't come back I told them I heard the guy that had it was supposed to stretch a cable at the club next, but he never showed up.

Ickisrulz
03-09-2022, 11:38 PM
I have never understood hazing or making the new guy look and feel stupid. It is a waste of time and resources. When in my power, I never allowed it.

DocWatson
03-09-2022, 11:43 PM
I've never had the pleasure of being given (or giving) such a request, but I've read about "left handed ___" being one. My mother was an Ob/Gyn nurse, so "fallopian tubes" would not work with me.

Hannibal
03-09-2022, 11:45 PM
Rotor wash and aircraft keys during military service.

I was fortunate enough to have an education in the school of hard knocks pre-military. Just went off somewhere quiet and had a Coke and smoke.

Dynamic braking fluid, relative bearing grease, the list never ends.

45workhorse
03-09-2022, 11:46 PM
BFA for the mortar tube, feathers for the machine gun nest, Prick E7 (Company Gunnery Sergeant), illuminated grid squares..... the list just keeps going and going!
Good times, now days probably be fired for hurting someone's feeling (aisle seven in Walmart if you need to buy some)!

DocWatson
03-09-2022, 11:48 PM
BFA for the mortar tube
<checks> A "blank firing attachment"? If so, I get the point.

screwcutter
03-10-2022, 12:25 AM
When I was a PVT in the Army Motor Pool, I was told to check the spark plugs in a deuce and a half (diesel). They all crapped when I came back with the preheater igniter plug. I was left alone afterwards.

skeettx
03-10-2022, 12:37 AM
Key to the Flag Pole

daengmei
03-10-2022, 12:58 AM
At the tank range for sunrise and the fog still covered the left and right limit markers, so the newbies were told we needed the key for the building so we could turn on the "range fans", that's what we were waiting for. We did in fact have to visually by eye identify those markers (range fans). But they of course thought we needed to blow away the fog and would look for the German civilian who had those keys. This while in Germany early 80"s. Can of squelch for the radio's was another. Yes, the radios were noisy when the setting was too low.

StuBach
03-10-2022, 01:04 AM
We were all there at one point in time and we don’t know what we don’t know so sometimes things can creep up on us no matter the “dues paid”.

I’ve always found the golden rule to work best. I wouldn’t want it done to me so I try not to do it to others.

That being said, some people need to just learn the hard way. Helping on simple things like that shows him his error and hopefully he learns. Someone will get him again and if he falls for it he didn’t learn, if he catches it you helped someone pass through this life a little easier. Seems like an easy win to me for the karma book?

unclemikeinct
03-10-2022, 01:28 AM
I have never understood hazing or making the new guy look and feel stupid. It is a waste of time and resources. When in my power, I never allowed it.
ditto that brother

bimus
03-10-2022, 01:48 AM
always send the new hand to ask the driller for the key to unlock the V door to start moving the drill rig .

rcslotcar
03-10-2022, 01:54 AM
I sent my Female cousin to the auto parts store for keys to a 1/4 inch lock washer. Boy was she P O'd when she came back.

Bloodman14
03-10-2022, 01:59 AM
I absolutely HATED being hazed like that, knowing it was all B.S., but not being able to do anything about it. Had a new C.O take command; first thing he did was try to send me for a bag of liquid floordry, some solar batteries and a moonlight switch. Asked him if he would like me to switch out the summer air in the motorpool vehicles (HMMWV's and deuce-and-a-halfs), sweep, mop and wax the motorpool area (unfinished concrete), or refile the personnel files alphabetically or by date of service (or rank, age, etc.) while I was at it. Was immediately branded an 'attitude'. My career was pretty much over at that point. Their loss. Was told I wasn't 'hooah', (whatever that means).

DocWatson
03-10-2022, 03:52 AM
Was told I wasn't 'hooah', (whatever that means).
Apparently you weren't "Army" enough (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooah). :-/ And I agree with you, Ickisrulz, StuBach, and unclemikeinct. While I'm not military, it's not something I do (though I have other faults)—I'd rather help and teach the newbies.

Wolfdog91
03-10-2022, 04:29 AM
Was tradition for our medic platoon to send their new guys to my recovery section to help us air up the tracks on our 88's [smilie=l: was part of becoming apart of the 155....

Handloader109
03-10-2022, 08:48 AM
In this day and age, most kids couldn't find you a screwdriver.
But I've found that most of those doing the hazing had an inferior complex. Just worried that the newbie really was smarter than they were and had to prove to themselves that they really were superior. Just sayin.

I never allowed it and the couple of times it was tried on me, it didn't work, too simple. And I started working way young.
Military and unions. The two places with too many doing too little for too long. It serves no good purpose. Sorry for stomping on your toes.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

LenH
03-10-2022, 08:59 AM
I was in the room when a new guy was told to bring him some 13/16 bolt holes. The guy went to the shop foreman and was told he smiled real big
and took the guy over to the punch and sent hi back upstairs with a bucket of 13/16 punch slugs. The guy asked what he needed these for and
the guy that sent him was speechless. That guy quit pranking guys after that.

TurnipEaterDown
03-10-2022, 09:15 AM
I always thought there was a point to (good natured) pranks like this: Get the person to think / challenge (and accept it when they did), or to see if they were just a robot "yes man".
I think it gets out of hand when the "newbie" calls you out and instead of laughing and saying something like 'you get it', retaliation happens. Retaliation, not good, getting people to think: bonus.

Ickisrulz
03-10-2022, 09:24 AM
I always thought good orientation, OJT and making the new person feel welcome and appreciated was the way to go.

DocWatson
03-10-2022, 09:34 AM
TurnipEaterDown: I can see that point (your first in your post), as well as your others.

pworley1
03-10-2022, 09:46 AM
When he gets those things maybe he can help me find my box of lube grooves.

Sig556r
03-10-2022, 09:59 AM
Carry a 5 gallon bucket of water to the top of the drilling rig derrick to " refill the water table"!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
That'll be long way up the derrick...

KenH
03-10-2022, 10:17 AM
Military and unions. The two places with too many doing too little for too long. It serves no good purpose.
That has so much truth it should be a Tee Shirt! :)

After a few trips for a wire stretcher and the like we tried to send the new helper for a "rat 'n vacuum". No way he says, he's learnt his lesson now, no way he's going to the tool room asking for a "rat and vacuum". No way, no how. It took a while to convince the helper this was a legit item. the "rat" is the foam plug with a long string, the vacuum is to pull the foam "rat" thru the conduit with the string to pull wire with.

MT Gianni
03-10-2022, 12:09 PM
My favorite was reading about the kid who took the list and slept until 10 minutes before quitting time. He was smarter than the fool who sent him. If I have an apprentice the boss asked me to train he will be too busy to screw around. yes I worked union building trades and never saw any of this.

farmbif
03-10-2022, 12:19 PM
just part of growing up.
my papaw got me job at lumber yard . I'd get customers that knew him come in and have me searching for hours for things like a board stretcher, left handed monkey wrenches, etc.
if anyone interested there are buckets full of lube grooves here.

brass410
03-10-2022, 01:01 PM
did the roughneck olympics bentonite bag lift once

sharps4590
03-10-2022, 01:11 PM
I was on the flight line at Williams AFB....a LONG time ago. The thing back then was "a bottle of liquid thrust" and an "exceptional release spring." I never bit and, as was previously mentioned, that pretty well ended any popularity I was going to have in the flight shack.

alamogunr
03-10-2022, 01:11 PM
I didn't read all three pages so this may be a repeat. The summer after I graduated from high school(1960), I worked as a laborer on a construction job, mostly keeping the brick masons supplied with materials. One of them called me over and told me to find him a "brick stretcher". Of course I took off and looked for about 5 minutes before I began to realize that I had been had. Things like that stay with you.

Not exactly the same thing, but a few years later after graduating college as an engineer, I was working in a union plant as a manufacturing engineer. Out on the floor one night I was paged on the PA system to call a #. I went to the nearest phone and dialed the number. I held the phone up to my ear for about 6 rings before deciding something was up. Hung up and walked away to a lot of laughter that I didn't understand. Finally realized that my ear felt funny. When I reached up to see what was wrong, my hand came away covered with Dykem layout paste. I had a purple ear for several days.

I guess I was sort of gullible.

waksupi
03-10-2022, 01:36 PM
At a shooting weekend camp out, one of the guys sent his wife and another gal to town to buy more ammo, and told her to pick up a case of grenades. Confusion followed at the gun shop.

super6
03-10-2022, 01:52 PM
I got the greasy phone and the binocular black eyes! My dad sent me the truck to get a bucket of head joints, A brick layer would know.

Smoke4320
03-10-2022, 01:55 PM
double clutching chrome plated pipe stretchers ... and they HAVE to be double clutching :)

BJK
03-10-2022, 02:15 PM
Dykem layout paste... This is changing the subject, sorry in advance but it's too good.

A gent where I worked had someone stealing his pumpkins. He knew it was the neighbors kids and confronted the mom in hopes that it would stop. She defended the boys and basically told him where to stuff it. Enter the Dykem layout paste. He coated some pumpkins with it and it wasn't long before he got a phone call stating it was all over the kids, their clothes, and the interior of their home. He denied any involvement of course, just like the kids and mom did with the pumpkins.

Happy caster
03-10-2022, 03:28 PM
Well, then you also know about the key for the V door

Smoke4320
03-10-2022, 03:59 PM
Brake light fluid

Cosmic_Charlie
03-10-2022, 04:03 PM
My brother in law had a new guy up on a man lift trying to get something loose. After a while he hollered up at him "hit it with your purse"....

bimus
03-10-2022, 04:06 PM
did the roughneck olympics bentonite bag lift once

I remember a secretary for a mud company that said she could lift a bag of gel over her head and she did and her husband slit the bag with a pocket knife

Greg S
03-10-2022, 04:07 PM
When I started in the trades, I was no spring chicken and were talking about this. I said I'd love for someone to send me out for this or that, it would be real funny when the store calls the owner to verify a $500.00 purchase for a (whatever).

Had one apprentice who told me he was sent on a fools errand right before first break. Couldn't get ahold of him for the rest of the day. He was there bright n early next day with a **** eating grin. Boss man came in and asked where he went and he went on a long tirade, job boxes, tool room at the shop, store after store but couldn't find what he wanted. Boss was kinda dumbfounded till the apprentice asked him if he needed anything else cause he would gladly go out and get it for him this morning. Sharp apprentice.

Scrounge
03-10-2022, 05:29 PM
Was just walking to the break room and there was kid standing by an isle lookin confused, looked to be about 18-19 think ,had a piece of paper and I stop and ask if he needs some help. Says yeah looks at the paper and reads off : he's looking for a can of A I R ,a skyhook ,and a left handed hammer. I looked at him and and before I can say something he about runs off and says he thinks he knows where to find the hammer....... Y'all think I should go try and find him after this break ooooorrrr laugh Kids motivated I'll give hime that

I crewed F-111D fighters at Cannon AFB, NM, from February 1974 to May 1975. First day I could wander the line on my own, I got sent for 200 yards of red flight line, a left-handed monkey wrench, and a bucket of prop wash. Line chief wandered in to the flight line cafeteria where I was eating breakfast, and asked me what I was up to. I told him, and we talked for a few minutes, then I said I should probably go back and tell them Blue Section said we were all out of them. He agreed and told me to have a great day. I walked back through the Blue flight line, and Red flight line, to the Yellow flight line where I worked. They got their laugh, and so did I. ;)

Dad was California ANG, 1st & 2nd stepfathers were USN, and 3rd stepfather was AUS, 101'st Airborne. I had something of a clue. And I'd been mechanicing at home and elsewhere since I was about 10.

I was still an airman when I retrained to be a photographer. Got sent for a box of F-stops, among other things, at my next base. There actually were such things, at one time, but only on antique cameras. Called, among other things, a Waterhouse Stop. Didn't fall for that one, either. :) I am sure I was such a buzz kill, back in those days. Now I don't mind folks laughing at me. Karmic burden for being a rectum all those years. ;)

Travisbishop
03-10-2022, 08:51 PM
Those Left Handed hammers are on the shelf next to the metric Crescent wrenches.

Mal Paso
03-10-2022, 09:29 PM
I got to work one day at a warehouse to see a couple guys try to catch a propane Toyota forklift going down the main isle with no driver, not too much damage considering... All the other forklifts were electric and one particularly irritating fellow would get there early, grab the Toyota and hog it all day. A couple of the guys got there even earlier than the irritating fellow and ran a wire from the Toyota's spark plug to the driver's seat.....

Edward
03-11-2022, 12:53 AM

Sounds like you ain't much fun and really screwed up the day ! /Ed

hiram
03-11-2022, 09:39 AM
While in the Boy Scouts the older guys would send the tenderfeet to look for a left-handed smoke shifter.

bedbugbilly
03-11-2022, 10:27 AM
Don't be too hard on the kid . . . . sounds to me like he has a great future in politics . . . . .

Cosmic_Charlie
03-11-2022, 10:32 AM
Had friends who sent a buddy into a baitshop in Hayward WI after a kitten harness for Muskie fishing.

skrapyard628
03-11-2022, 11:13 AM
I got to work one day at a warehouse to see a couple guys try to catch a propane Toyota forklift going down the main isle with no driver, not too much damage considering... All the other forklifts were electric and one particularly irritating fellow would get there early, grab the Toyota and hog it all day. A couple of the guys got there even earlier than the irritating fellow and ran a wire from the Toyota's spark plug to the driver's seat.....

Back in high school electronics class I built a "shocker box". Basically a car ignition coil on an oscillating circuit with a spot to attach a wire lead to it. Its been used in a few spots around the shop for entertainment. We had it attached to the steel bolt/nut bins one day. There was a lot of laughter from everyone as they would get zapped, figure out what it was, then watch for the next guy to come by and get zapped.

fixit
03-11-2022, 11:15 AM
I have found that when you laugh at yourself, you will often get more amusement than those who laugh at you, not to mention, I find I never run out of things to laugh at!

Murphy
03-12-2022, 04:10 PM
I was a parts hustler (expediter/thief) on a Brown & Root job back in the early 70's, pipe department. It was a good sized job and my superintendent was the head honcho's little brother. I wound up working directly under him and answered to no one but him, or his brother. My job was to get the parts, by whatever means possible. It was all fun & games as far as I was concerned, and I loved it. Several sub contractors tried to take me with them when they wrapped up their part of the job.

One day the boss came up and asked me if I knew what a red head was? "Sho nuff boss!". He told me he needed two. I told him okay, but that particular item may take a couple days, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to go to town to get em'. I ain't seen one working on this job yet.

Murphy

David2011
03-12-2022, 07:07 PM
It’s funny how many of the things mentioned actually exist.

Wire stretcher: Ever run a barbed wire fence?
Flag pole key: Unfortunately, its pretty common to find a box locking the halyard cleat.
Brake light fluid: Not brakes, but in the days of carriages and early automobiles the tail lights and running lights were fueled with kerosene.
Brass magnet: Yep, got one. It’s a commercially made net made to catch your ejected cartridges.
Liquid thrust: At my house, it’s nitromethane.
Metric Crescent wrench: One of mine does say “900mm” on it.

MT Gianni
03-12-2022, 08:01 PM
Red head is a common manufacturer of concrete anchors. Drill a hole and set it in the concrete, hammer it in and it expands to hold up whatever you attached.

Xae289
03-12-2022, 08:59 PM
The only one that they sorta got me on was the ID-10-T Form. I knew they were trying to mess with me, but didn't get what the joke was supposed to be for like a week when someone literally spelled it out for me.

I was a little too much of a skeptic though because one day a Staff Sergeant asked me to go get the keys to one of our birds while we were getting ready for a job. I brushed it off and went about my business. Fifteen minutes later he asks if I got the keys, so I laugh and say "yea, yea, yea SSgt, get the keys to the C-130, sure..." Haha, sure enough he meant it. The keys were to the padlock that locks the latch to the ramp door shut. We all had a good laugh about that one.

hithard
03-14-2022, 12:24 AM
I always use left handed hooks when fishing, seem to get a batter set.

15meter
03-14-2022, 09:50 AM

Not a big fan of it either, but at times there are people that are so truly ignorant it's hard not to jerk their chain.

With BOTH hands.

Brother-in-law came to visit us in Michigan, in January. He is originally from Michigan. The last 10 years he's lived in Florida.

He couldn't get his car started, so my wife sent him out to my shop to ask me to help him start his car. While we were walking to the driveway where his car was parked, he asked me if his Florida anti-freeze was preventing his car from starting.

No I don't think so.

Then he asked me if the nitrogen they put in his tires could be the problem.

No, I don't think so.

Always treated him civilly up to that point, if he came around me now he'd be on a run to the hardware store for a spray can of striped paint.

BOTH hands, BOTH HANDS!

ChuckO
03-14-2022, 04:39 PM
On the other side of the coin, I had a great time at a summer job in an engineering department. I was asked several times to get something impossible, so I decided to get even. We were doing a study of converting to metric from imperial measurements at the time. I went around the engineering and drafting departments to see how many of the senior people needed metric trig tables. Quite a few engineers were confused and order some for their work groups. At the time most of the tool suppliers would hand out the tables freely, so I got a few dozen for the senior staff. A couple of people could not figure out why they were the same as the inch tables.

samari46
03-14-2022, 11:18 PM
Sea bats or a bucket of steam was always popular when I was in the navy. Had a rookie messenger of the watch come down to where I was standing watch on the lube oil pumps looking for a bucket of steam. Frank

Outpost75
03-15-2022, 12:41 PM
I'm really surprised here that nobody has sent anyone out to get 1000 yards of shoreline. Marines radio back an hour later, call for a beachmaster, six LCMs and more ammo.

DocWatson
03-16-2022, 03:04 AM
I got the greasy phone and the binocular black eyes!
About a week ago I somehow managed to get green marker on my forehead. Fortunately it turned out to be water soluble, but I only found that out at the end of the shift, when I finally had time to try getting it off.

My dad sent me the truck to get a bucket of head joints, A brick layer would know.

With those clues, Google says: http://jnxclusives.blogspot.com/p/filling-mortar-joints.html

armoredman
03-16-2022, 04:10 AM
Sea bats or a bucket of steam was always popular when I was in the navy. Had a rookie messenger of the watch come down to where I was standing watch on the lube oil pumps looking for a bucket of steam. Frank

10 yards of water line was common.
Once, once I saw one backfire spectacularly - new Gunners Mate was sent to find a bottle of relative bearing grease, (relative bearing is for training the guns using the bow as 0), and the kid got his liberty card and vanished for two days. He was being carried as UA when he showed up with a small bottle of lubricant labeled "Relative Bearing Grease" - GMG1 had to authorize his time or admit the hazing to Gunner.

DocWatson
03-16-2022, 04:16 AM
10 yards of water line was common.
Perhaps thirty feet of hose?

armoredman
03-16-2022, 05:19 AM
Perhaps thirty feet of hose?

Water line is painted on the side of the hull to tell you how deep she is drafting. ;)

DocWatson
03-16-2022, 08:39 AM
Water line is painted on the side of the hull to tell you how deep she is drafting. ;)
I'd forgotten that, but I meant that a fire hose might be an adequate substitute.

waksupi
03-16-2022, 12:23 PM

I believe that is referred to as the Plimsoll mark.

DocWatson
03-16-2022, 05:25 PM
I believe that is referred to as the Plimsoll mark.
<checks>According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterline), both are correct.