PDA

View Full Version : DIY ‘drop tubes’ for Belding & Mull powder measures

Lefty223
03-09-2022, 04:25 PM
I found a piece of thick wall 1/2” tubing, pushed a length of 3/8” Delrin into it and secured with a pin peened in place. Easy peasy …

I am also making an adjustable one I’ll show details & pictures of later.

StuBach
03-10-2022, 06:48 AM
Very cool. Still kicking myself for not grabbing one of their microadjust tubes when I had the chance years ago.

sharps4590
03-10-2022, 09:58 AM
Clever ideal, Lefty!!!

I just found a piece of brass tubing the same as the original, only longer, and fit the adjustment slide and set screw to that. I remember I did have to take just a little off the OD of the tubing I bought. As I use it almost exclusively for BP it's a rare occasion I have to change back to the shorter tube.

farmbif
03-10-2022, 10:34 AM
great idea , sure would be nice to have a bunch of them pre set for different loads

vagrantviking
03-10-2022, 11:29 AM
Just picked up a B&M measure. It's a little stiff and only came with a measure made from a 444 brass. Going to try a different spring and need to make a better tube.

Where did you source the brass tube and what is the wall thickness?
Thanks!

Green Frog
03-10-2022, 11:59 AM
Just picked up a B&M measure. It's a little stiff and only came with a measure made from a 444 brass. Going to try a different spring and need to make a better tube.

Thanks!

The B&M I use most has had its return spring removed totally. I just have to remember to manually return the lever so I don’t drain the reservoir accidentally! :shock:
Mine also has a custom-made drop tube with a Starrett micrometer stem to adjust… gives the ultimate in repeatability. :) I’ll try to dig it out later today and add pix to this post.

Froggie

Lefty223
03-10-2022, 07:40 PM
I just I’ll try to dig it out later today and add pix to this post.
Froggie:

If you can, hold off on that as I am going to make ‘another post’ with 2 different options for DIY adjustable drop tubes for B&M measures that work slick! Save it for that post please …

vagrantviking
03-10-2022, 11:59 PM
Froggie:

If you can, hold off on that as I am going to make ‘another post’ with 2 different options for DIY adjustable drop tubes for B&M measures that work slick! Save it for that post please …

That would be really helpful. Let us know where to find it when it's up.
Thanks

brassrat
03-13-2022, 08:41 PM
In preBrandon times, HD and others had, I think, 3/8 aluminum rod and tubing, in 4' lengths. They matched up perfectly One tubing piece was a bit too tight to fit the hopper and needed a little sanding. I went nuts drilling out for thumbscrews on the tube pieces and made a bunch of dimples in the rods. Sharpie colors on the dimples. I made charts to mark out what # tube and what color dimple gave what load in all my powders. Gave up and just have several tubes locked in one place. Gonna try again, someday. I really need dozens of them. I have an original brass tube but don't like changing settings.

Stephen Cohen
03-14-2022, 02:54 AM
I purchased all the reloading gear and a few rifles from the wife of a good friend when he passed, one of these Belding and Mull throwers was in the box and it has two adjustable tubes with it and I have never tried it out. I may give it a try and if it works out I will give my Lyman thrower to nephew. Regards Stephen

brassrat
03-14-2022, 12:34 PM
They are fantastic and are, almost always, dead on. One problem is getting it mounted solidly.

vagrantviking
03-14-2022, 12:54 PM
They are fantastic and are, almost always, dead on. One problem is getting it mounted solidly.

I was thinking it was a bit difficult to get it completely locked in place. Good to know it's not just me. LoL

uscra112
03-14-2022, 01:26 PM

Thanks!

I made a couple of charge cups from brass pipe nipples. The O.D. has to be reduced enough that a lathe is almost obligatory

Green Frog
03-15-2022, 10:53 AM
I thought I had added a picture of the Starrett type drop tube insert. I’ll try again.
A standard drop tube body attaches to the silvery colored collar with a set screw and the shank and brass plug move up and down just like the slide in a “stock” drop tube, but controlled and repeatable with the Starrett thimble.
Froggie

quack1
03-16-2022, 07:55 AM
I just use a depth mic to set the tube depth on my B&M. No need to fabricate anything. I have a lathe, so already had the mic. The depth measurement end of calipers would work as well, and just about everyone who reloads has calipers. I record the depth measurement of the tube for each load in my load book.

sharps4590
03-16-2022, 08:08 AM
I made mine because the tube that came with the measure was not big enough for the BP charges I needed to throw. I loaded some BPC's last week and noticed I'd never put the original back together. Still using the one I made 30+ years ago.

country gent
03-16-2022, 08:54 AM
I use brass tube from On line metals they sell by the foot lengths. I make the standard slide tubes, thread adjustable in the bleding and mull style and a true micrometer adjust with 3/8 40 threads.

My large capacity bp tube uses a second tube with the bottom end plugged. This tube starts at just under what a fully opened tube throws and goes up from there. Reversing the inner tube gives a normal measure.
1/2" stop collars make a nice base ring and good solid 1/4 20 threads for the thump screw. a length of ready rod makes the stem. JB weld epoxy makes the head. I make either a flat head or a cupped one using a bearing ball to form it.

ndnchf
03-16-2022, 09:10 PM
My B&M has the micrometer adjustable measure. After I have the charge I want for a specific powder, I measure the depth with a dial caliper and record it. I have a chart with dozens of powder/depth settings. It takes about 30 seconds to set the measure for a previously recorded charge. Easy peasy.

vagrantviking
03-17-2022, 09:54 AM
Some great ideas for making up a couple tubes. I will definitely be following some of this advice.
Thanks for sharing.

coopersdad
03-17-2022, 02:50 PM
I was thinking it was a bit difficult to get it completely locked in place. Good to know it's not just me. LoL

I had the same issues with it moving around. I bolted a piece of wood to the bench and cut an angled slot in it that matches the back of the clamp on the measure. Works great!297756297757

sharps4590
03-17-2022, 05:41 PM
Clever, cooper!!!

vagrantviking
03-18-2022, 10:43 AM
Clever, cooper!!!

That should do it!
I pulled the spring and that makes it much easier to cycle. Pretty well stays in place when not fighting the extra tension.

coopersdad
03-18-2022, 12:49 PM
Glad I could actually contribute - I've learned and continue learning so much here! My return spring was heavy as well, I replaced it with a lighter one, just enough to close it after a throw. I tried taking it out completely but bumped it once and dumped a bunch on the floor....

Green Frog
03-18-2022, 03:08 PM
Froggie:

Lefty223, did you ever start that new thread or is all the B&M Visible Powder Measure info still drifting in here?

Froggie