PDA

View Full Version : Redneck Gold Ingot molds, tell me why you like them please.

corbinace
03-09-2022, 10:32 AM
I have an assortment of Lyman and Saeco ingot molds and even one Lee mold.

I see these Redneck Gold molds are available again and many people are getting in line to purchase them.
I wanted to hear why you like them. Maybe I need to get a few of them to go with my assortment.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?439596-Redneck-Gold-ingots-presell-option

In the past, I have used different mold labels to designate the alloy in my inventory. This would give me a different label.

What do you think?

dondiego
03-09-2022, 11:53 AM
I would love to have a couple but not a $30 each!

LenH
03-09-2022, 01:22 PM
I bought a couple of the CastBoolit molds last year. They are well made and make approx 2.5# ingots 4 at a time. There are some lead type letters on the ingots
to mark with a chisel so you know the alloy type. I mark mine with a metal stamp set anyway so I know which alloy it is. I got these on his last batch.

Not sure they are worth the $30 plus shipping.

rancher1913
03-09-2022, 04:14 PM
they are designed to be able to pack in the frb's for easy shipping. I like how they stack better than the laymans and such.

garandsrus
03-10-2022, 02:18 AM
Lyman molds are $35+ and these are a lot nicer and allow the ingots to stack nicely. The Lyman mold only makes 3 or 4 pounds of ingots, this makes 10 per fill.

Budzilla 19
03-10-2022, 11:09 AM
Number one, the cool factor is off the charts! With that being said, I agree with the ability to pack into sfrb. They mold really great, compact 2.5 pound ingots,( different alloys will cause this weight to go up or down, of course), easy to stack in the boxes, as previously mentioned. Makes shipping lead a whole lot easier. Storage of alloy is a lot easier, at least for me. As always, these are just my opinions. Good luck whichever path you decide.

brass410
03-10-2022, 11:40 AM
I love mine for the ability to sort composition, as well as the cool off ability it's very quick, they're a great shape for shipping and stacking without getting wierd shape and off sizes, but what I like the best is the release, totally effortless, and the logo, as to price, well custom costs, quality is great! they're unique to our group, it's a group member, if you dont want to have these attribute then thrift store is the place to buy. They're reallynot out of line price wise.

Green Frog
03-10-2022, 11:51 AM
As a COF (Certified Old Fart) I remember when spending $30 for any reloading item was a major investment. I paid $50 for a used Lyman bottom pour pot along with a couple of moulds and a Lubri-Sizer and a couple of dies, but that was in 1974 when gas was $.309 per gallon! It appears that $30 now is what it costs to buy just about anything for reloading. I remember the $5-15 bullet moulds I used to buy “back then” and am lucky to find them for 50-100 now. IMHO, a semi custom ingot mould for $30 is actually a bargain. YMMV! ;)

Froggie

bangerjim
03-10-2022, 02:42 PM
A mold is a mold is a mold. It serves one purpose - - to store your pre-mixed alloy. Who cares what it says or if it weights 2# or 10#. I prefer the lighter ones anyway! Easy to handle and fast to melt.

I own MANY Lee, SAECO, and other commercial SMALL trapezoid molds and love them. Would never go for anything bigger.

And I leave the muffin pans to the cook in the kitchen!

ioon44
03-11-2022, 09:02 AM
I made most all of my ingot molds from scrap channel iron and when I am done with them, I can still sell them as scrap iron.
I don't see any need for expensive ingot molds.

lightman
03-11-2022, 12:52 PM
If I wasn't heavily invested in the cast iron Lyman style molds I would order 10 or so. What do I like about them;

The Cool factor, they just look good
That they are sized to fit a USPS flat rate box

BK7saum
03-11-2022, 05:20 PM
I purchased mine from the first order so that if I decide to sell any lead from my stash, the ingots will already be sized to fit a SFRB.

They stack together well.

My previous ingot molds were 3" C channel and cast about a 7.5-8 lb ingot. I use the Lee 4-20 pots and the 8 lb or 2 lb ingots both fit well in the pots.

Bigslug
03-14-2022, 12:40 AM
Easier to label the ammo can the ingots are in than every single ingot. For fitting a flat rate box I can see the attraction - otherwise, meh.

Now if I could get a "Lead Zeppelin" ingot. . .or maybe an Arnold Schwarzenegger/Terminator 2/Thumbs-up/"You must lower me into the steel; I cannot self-terminate" ingot . . .or a Wicked Witch of the West mold. . .THOSE would amuse me greatly.:mrgreen:

slim1836
03-14-2022, 01:52 AM
I'm not a high volume caster but this is America and if I see something I like I get it. No other reason needed. YMMV, after all, this is America.

Slim

kevin c
03-14-2022, 02:34 AM
I AM a high volume caster and like the fact that the heavier ingots can be loaded less frequently, but aren’t so big that the pot temp drops too much, are easier to balance on the pot rim for preheating, and are shaped for easy loading of several ingots together into an empty pot.

I make casting alloy in 240-250# lots, so I have eight of these molds ( the original Cast Boolits version).

The only things I might fault are a lack of a handle (though a ViseGrip will do), and that they’re hard to turn upright with a gloved hand if the ingots are dumped on a flat surface.