PDA

View Full Version : 358 win.

redriverhunter
03-07-2022, 11:38 PM
I did not think or research prior to my purchase of Ramshots' Tac. Hornady 11 ed. shows 40.7 gns as a starting charge for a 200 gn jacketed bullet at 2200 fps out of 24 inch barrel. My barrel is 22 inches. My question is how much could I down load the charge. I contacted Alliant powder to no avail. Should I not use Tac with with cast bullets. The bullet is a N.O.E. 360 200 gn and will be powder coated with smokes bacon grease. Thanks in advance.
rrh

BK7saum
03-08-2022, 06:58 AM
I really don't have an answer to your question, but TAC has a good rep for high velocities with jacketed bullets.

A bump for your post for some answers.

BTW, what is your target velocity for your 200 grain cast bullets.

Silvercreek Farmer
03-08-2022, 08:05 AM
What is your goal? What rifle, twist? That starting load might shoot just fine. Give it a try. Does your data call for a magnum primer? Do you have a chronograph?

farmbif
03-08-2022, 09:35 AM
I'm not one for going out of bounds of what reputable published data shows.
TAC is not made by alliant, but by western powders, which was bought up by Hodgdon not too long ago. but they still may be their own entity with staff that could answer your questions.
if you look at western powders loading guide, at powders they have tested with your caliber you will usually notice that the load for a cast bullet is a few grains less of powder than the same weight jacketed bullet.
this is how I started developing loads for 444 marlin using 8208, starting load was a few grains less, about 10% less, than starting load for jacketed bullet. plus I was dealing with situation where the bullet was deeply seated so it would chamber in gun properly.
I will add that western powders is one company that has actually done testing with cast bullet loads using their powders, so if you have or can get one of the powders they have good load data for you will be in good shape. 2520 is one powder that there is good data for for a lot of different calibers.