PDA

View Full Version : Why load on a Dillon SDB when you could use a 550?

AnthonyB
03-07-2022, 09:52 PM
Honest question that never occurred to me before today. I was loading 38 Special on the SDB and having all the normal small space/tough to see powder levels that go with the SDB, for me at least. I have always used the SDB for handgun ammo because handgun ammo is what the SDB is there to do. After I finished I glanced at the 550 and wondered why I was using the SDB in the first place, other than habit.
Self-indexing on the SDB isn’t a major help to me, so what are the reasons to keep using the SDB? I may be moving everything to the 550…
Tony

imashooter2
03-07-2022, 10:08 PM
The SDB has auto advance and a shorter lever throw. If you don’t care about those things, sell it and move on. I prefer my SDB to the 550. But that’s why ice cream comes in both chocolate and vanilla.

FLINTNFIRE
03-07-2022, 10:56 PM
I use the square deal b for the auto advance , using a light on press lets me see everything just fine , but then I only change 38 special and 357 magnum as all the others are set up for whatever caliber they are and only adjusted for bullet difference .

JimB..
03-08-2022, 07:18 AM
It’s just a preference thing. Easy enough to set the 550 up for a caliber and see what you prefer.

AnthonyB
03-08-2022, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the responses. I couldn’t identify any advantages the SDB has over the 550 (auto index is no help at my loading speed). I am going to conduct my own experiment today.
Tony

03-08-2022, 08:19 AM
If you are a one caliber guy, the SDB is great.

Sig556r
03-08-2022, 09:48 AM
Wouldn't trade any of my 3 550s for an SDB...uses standard dies & can do rifles

NSB
03-08-2022, 10:02 AM
I had both when I was doing a lot of high volume shooting. For handgun only the SDB was great. For rifle shooting I found a Redding Turret press made more sense to me. Fairly high speed and with extra turret top it was set up for several cartridges. Everyone has their own preferences.

dverna
03-08-2022, 10:03 AM
I had two SDB...note the word "had". Good presses but when I decided to get serious, I went with my first of three 1050's. The 1050 will spoil you.

When I had the SDB's I also had a 550 but liked not having to do caliber changeovers so the SDB's were handy. I have never been one to visually check every powder drop so that was not an issue. I use powders that to not bridge when loading on progressives and never had a problem. Maybe just lucky???

Like a previous poster said, chocolate or vanilla...your choice.

anothernewb
03-08-2022, 10:13 AM
If the auto index doesn't do it for you then there's not much keeping you there. For me, the auto index is the best. I skipped the 550 and went to the 650 when i got the chance.

Miss my SDB though. would be nice to dedicate it to 45acp/10mm since pretty much everything else I load is small primer.

jmorris
03-08-2022, 10:43 AM
Well if you don’t have 7/8-14 dies for 38 spl, that would be the biggest reason. You can’t use your SD dies in any other press.

If your 550 was setup for anything else, you wouldn’t have to spend the time to convert calibers to load your 38’s.

I still use my SD’s from time to time and I have 650’s and 1050’s in the same calibers but it’s easier for me to take the little SD to the range with me to work up loads on the spot. Saving hours of time and making it a “one trip” job.

AnthonyB
03-08-2022, 08:07 PM
Answered my question today. I converted the 550 to 38 Special and was amazed at the things I had forgotten in the couple years since I had done that. Figuring out the small powder charge bar took a computer break before I got it right.
Loading 38s on the 550 was much easier for me. Manual index made it easier to fix my mistakes. I was moving very slowly since it had been so long and was loading pure lead 38-158 SWCHPs and was very careful to get them started straight before entering the seating die, so I wasn’t fast at all but was probably as fast as I was with the 550. The top heavy 38s didn’t flip over the bracket directing them to the collection container like they did with the SDB.
I still like the SDBs and will keep both for use with “short” calibers like .380 and small runs of 9mm and 45. The 550 will be the “tall” handgun loading choice for me from now one.
I am amazed at how we get set in our patterns. I loaded everything on the 550 until I got the first SDB, and then moved all the handgun loading there because that was what it was for and therefore must be better. Even bought the second one (really cheap) and decided to keep it to avoid primer changes. Only took me 20 years to figure out the 550 was easier to use.
Tony

AnthonyB
03-08-2022, 08:14 PM
The 1050 will spoil you.

Don:
Did you do caliber conversions on the 1050s or experiment with different loads on them? I have not yet tried converting the small primer RL1100 to 5.56 but will eventually get there. It looks pretty complicated.
Tony

imashooter2
03-08-2022, 11:08 PM
Answered my question today. I converted the 550 to 38 Special and was amazed at the things I had forgotten in the couple years since I had done that. Figuring out the small powder charge bar took a computer break before I got it right.
Loading 38s on the 550 was much easier for me. Manual index made it easier to fix my mistakes. I was moving very slowly since it had been so long and was loading pure lead 38-158 SWCHPs and was very careful to get them started straight before entering the seating die, so I wasn’t fast at all but was probably as fast as I was with the 550. The top heavy 38s didn’t flip over the bracket directing them to the collection container like they did with the SDB.
I still like the SDBs and will keep both for use with “short” calibers like .380 and small runs of 9mm and 45. The 550 will be the “tall” handgun loading choice for me from now one.
I am amazed at how we get set in our patterns. I loaded everything on the 550 until I got the first SDB, and then moved all the handgun loading there because that was what it was for and therefore must be better. Even bought the second one (really cheap) and decided to keep it to avoid primer changes. Only took me 20 years to figure out the 550 was easier to use.
Tony

Well, all except for the fact that it isn’t. [smilie=1:

I prefer the ergonomics of the SDB. Glad you’re happy with your choices though. :drinks:

dverna
03-09-2022, 12:25 AM
Don:
Did you do caliber conversions on the 1050s or experiment with different loads on them? I have not yet tried converting the small primer RL1100 to 5.56 but will eventually get there. It looks pretty complicated.
Tony

Anthony,
When I had two set up, one was LP and it only loaded .45 ACP. The other was set up for .38 Spl. I had a SDB for 9mm as I got a deal on a used one. I have since downsized.

Currently I have one 1050. It is set up for SP and I load .38, 9mm and .40 on it. Caliber changeovers are not too bad time wise. I have dedicated tool heads.

I am not a handloader...I am a shooter. I use one load for each caliber and that load is used in every weapon in that caliber. A 1050 is not a good choice for folks who want to load multiple bullets and powder loads in each caliber...and might make a couple of hundred at a time. For example setting up the Powder Check for a different chargeor powder takes some tweaking....”wasted” time. I normally produce 1000-2000 rounds per session

Kraschenbirn
03-09-2022, 10:20 AM
I've got one SDB and my original '80s-vintage 450 with all the factory 'upgrades'. The SDB is set-up for .38/.357 and, except for a couple weeks in the winter when I restock .45ACP, stays that way. Everything else, including 9mm, is run off on either the 450 or one of my single-stage presses. Actually, I probably wouldn't miss the SDB but I bought it cheap and have had it for years and it don't eat nuthin' and doesn't take up much space.

Bill

Rapier
03-09-2022, 01:39 PM
Have a lot of acquaintances that bought into the auto advance progressives, I watched the dream turn into a nightmare, when the cams and linkage broke due to jams. had problems with caliber changes, primer size changes, etc.
I have a 450 that Mike offered to convert to a 550B for cheap, took that deal. Then I got a PW Metalic ll both are hand advance. I have a couple of Rockchucker single stage presses to help. I load for many different size cartridges 458 Lott to 380. I am not going to spend hours fooling with an auto progressive.
Made this decision when the SD first came out, waste of time for my reloading. Same reason, I do not have a 1050 or 650 or a Starr.
Nothing wrong with them if they fit your need. The auto feed progresses just do not fit my need.

FLINTNFIRE
03-09-2022, 01:53 PM
The square deal b fit my needs , first was a used one from a coworker , I fixed a burr on the shellplate and it has been great a ton of 45acp has been done , liked it so much and the auto advance as no chance of dumping another powder drop in , bought another couple new , then some more used and some more new , son in law has a pair I gave him on the birth of the grand daughter , son got one from me to load his 9mm .

Kept 6 for my pistol needs , the rockchucker and classic cast turret for other loadings and several other presses that need mounted for other loadings , if it is not your choice , its good , each of us has our preferences and what works for each of us .

Glad the original poster made his decision that makes him happy , when what works for you works best ,it is a good thing .

Greg S
03-09-2022, 03:34 PM
I got a friend who owns one and a 650. He leaves it set up for 32 S&W with a hbwc for a centerline target gun.

W.R.Buchanan
03-11-2022, 05:45 PM
I had a SDB in .40 S&W and one in .45 ACP. Then a friend gave me a 550B which I then set up for .223 .40 S&W and .45 ACP, then I sold the SDB's and I wish I had them back. But I needed to down size and the 550B will do anything I want, and the SDB's were limited to only Handgun calibers and I got what I wanted out of them.

I really like the SDB's from a engineering standpoint. I think they are one of the best designed machines on the market, and they can be inexpensively rebuilt forever.
That said the 550B now "C" is also one of the best designed machines on the market and is much more versatile.

So if you can only have one get the 550B or C.

My .02

Randy

David2011
03-12-2022, 05:42 PM
At one time I had a Square Deal B with 9mm and 45 ACP setups, a 550 and a 650 on the bench. Found that the SDB got very little use so I swapped it for a Ponsness Warren Duo-Matic. I kind of wish I had kept it but realistically still probably wouldn’t use it. I just liked having the Daddy bear, Mama bear and Baby bear on the bench.

Iowa Fox
03-19-2022, 02:00 AM
I've got one SDB and my original '80s-vintage 450 with all the factory 'upgrades'. The SDB is set-up for .38/.357 and, except for a couple weeks in the winter when I restock .45ACP, stays that way. Everything else, including 9mm, is run off on either the 450 or one of my single-stage presses. Actually, I probably wouldn't miss the SDB but I bought it cheap and have had it for years and it don't eat nuthin' and doesn't take up much space.

Bill

Bill every word in your post is me except the SD stays set up for 45acp small primer except when I restock on 38-357. Easy change on dies since I don't have to change the primer feed.

rintinglen
03-19-2022, 11:27 AM
I have 2 SDB's, and when they are running right, I find they are faster then my 450. However, my old reliable 450 is much easier to change calibers on, and it is easier to use when dealing with small cases and boolits (I'm looking at you, 32 ACP.)

Toolmaker TN
03-19-2022, 01:20 PM
I bought a SDB in 45acp when they first came out on the market in the 80's. Paid $125 for it, shipped to me from Dillon. I was shooting a lot of 45acp, and it was a huge step up from what I was using. I bought the 45colt conversion for it around 10 years later. I've loaded untold thousands of rounds with it (when I use it for 45acp I usually load 5,000 rounds at a time), and I've never had a single issue. Not one. That wasn't my fault anyway.
I look around my loading room, and there's 5 shotshell presses (Lee, MEC, Ponsness Marren) and 7 other metallic presses (Lee, Forster, RCBS, Hornady). But the SDB sits quietly in it's place on the bench, ready to go whenever I am.
Hmmm... reading what I just typed, I may have a reloading press problem.....

FLINTNFIRE
03-19-2022, 01:24 PM
I bought a SDB in 45acp when they first came out on the market in the 80's. Paid $125 for it, shipped to me from Dillon. I was shooting a lot of 45acp, and it was a huge step up from what I was using. I bought the 45colt conversion for it around 10 years later. I've loaded untold thousands of rounds with it (when I use it for 45acp I usually load 5,000 rounds at a time), and I've never had a single issue. Not one. That wasn't my fault anyway.
I look around my loading room, and there's 5 shotshell presses (Lee, MEC, Ponsness Marren) and 7 other metallic presses (Lee, Forster, RCBS, Hornady). But the SDB sits quietly in it's place on the bench, ready to go whenever I am.
Hmmm... reading what I just typed, I may have a reloading press problem.....

Good for you , no problem I see with having all those presses , but I may suffer from the same disorder .

Toolmaker TN
03-19-2022, 02:18 PM
Good for you , no problem I see with having all those presses , but I may suffer from the same disorder .

FLINTNFIRE good to know I'm not the only one.
There's worse disorders to have....

Budzilla 19
03-19-2022, 03:05 PM
3 SDB’s, 550 B, 1-RL450( my first progressive press), they each have their good and bad points. SDB is so easy to use, it’s almost too easy, if that makes sense. If I was forced to use only one, it would have to be the 550 as it will load rifle length rounds. Just my opinion.

shooterg
03-24-2022, 12:10 PM
Space is an issue. Ideally my 3 SDB's would be lined up on a bench for .38, 9mm, and .45 . I leave 'em alone, each set up for one caliber, one load and clamp to bench as needed. The 550 does .223 and .308 , but I have a 450 I wll set up for one of those because I am lazy. And still have a Lee single stage for my "non-standard" loads . And the 2 Corbin swaging presses that can and have been used as reloaders, and there are a couple flea market Pacifics somewhere...is there a 12 step program for this ?

jaxondog406@gmail.com
03-24-2022, 12:27 PM
The square deal b fit my needs , first was a used one from a coworker , I fixed a burr on the shellplate and it has been great a ton of 45acp has been done , liked it so much and the auto advance as no chance of dumping another powder drop in , bought another couple new , then some more used and some more new , son in law has a pair I gave him on the birth of the grand daughter , son got one from me to load his 9mm .

Kept 6 for my pistol needs , the rockchucker and classic cast turret for other loadings and several other presses that need mounted for other loadings , if it is not your choice , its good , each of us has our preferences and what works for each of us .

Glad the original poster made his decision that makes him happy , when what works for you works best ,it is a good thing .

Thanks for not abbreviating

kevin c
03-25-2022, 05:40 AM
If I ever get around to loading rifle cartridges, I’ll get another press. But for the large amount of single caliber pistol ammo I need to make, my 25+ year old SDB is just fine.

Geezer in NH
03-25-2022, 01:19 PM
My SDB is in 9mm and 38/357. I load 9mm and 38 specials on it. Bought in long time ago for 184 bucks added 50 buck change over to both calibers.

Every thing else I use my single stage presses for. Two are turrets by Lyman.

I cannot load on a 550 cause I don't have one and don't see getting one in the future.

gnappi
03-26-2022, 03:55 AM
To be honest, after dumping my several Lee presses many years ago, I got my first 450B, then two 550's and never considered an auto index as an even remote advantage.

I do have an old Hornady Pro-Jector which I use for my 9x25 and honestly I wish I could disengage the auto index.