PDA

View Full Version : New lee mould disappointment.

Bazoo
03-07-2022, 08:29 PM
I bought a new lee 429-200-RF from a vendor on eBay. Well, after the usual burr inspection and removal it casts great. Then the measurements... .427 across one section.

I called lee. A gent answered and after a few minutes interrogation I was told sure send it back. He said probably a couple months wait. Guess we’ll see.

I asked the vendor If they’ll send me another one but they said they don’t have another one, even though they have one listed for sale. So, they don’t want to fool with me.

I’ll see what lee will do I reckon.

Outer Rondacker
03-07-2022, 09:15 PM
I have had similar issues with lee in the past. I say open it up yourself if you have the know how. Lots of info on how to do it on here.

DCB
03-07-2022, 10:21 PM
I had the same thing with my 429-lee mold. tried a bunch of different things and nothing worked. the best I could get was .427 as well.
my last move was to open the mold up, didn't work out like I thought it would.

Bazoo
03-08-2022, 12:34 AM
I haven’t ever lapped a mould for diameter issues. I’ve lapped one so it’d drop freely. I tried to lap an iron mould and it was hard as woodpecker lips and didn’t budge much so I give up.

longbow
03-11-2022, 12:20 AM
You can easily increase diameter by up to about 0.003" by Beagling.

Then as mentioned above is lapping. If you use automotive valve lapping compound it will remove aluminum pretty quickly. It also works for iron moulds, just takes a little longer. You should be able to open up a Lee mould by 0.002" pretty quickly.

If you haven't seen the detailed write ups take a look here:

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/MoldMods/default.html

Of course lapping is a permanent change so no going back once you start... and no returning it to Lee.

Longbow

Bazoo
03-11-2022, 12:38 AM
I appreciate the response longbow.

I contacted the seller I bought it from and they replaced the mould with a new one since lee was out of stock. They even sent me a shipping label and padded envelope to return it. We’ll see if the new one has any issues.

iron brigade
03-13-2022, 08:01 PM
Not sure if you powder coat but it would probably increase the diameter of your bullet to .429 or so

Bazoo
03-13-2022, 08:16 PM
No I don’t powder coat. I know it’ll increase the diameter some. I have some other bullets I’m going to coat come spring I think.

Hick
03-13-2022, 08:49 PM
Odd-- I just bought the Lee 429-200 myself (two weeks ago) and mine drops at 0.429-- Which is a little funny under the circumstances because I discovered they shoot better in my 44-40 revolver when I size them down to 0.427

DDriller
03-13-2022, 08:52 PM
I haven't had any problem with my molds but my new .309 size die sizes .311

gwpercle
03-14-2022, 07:18 PM
When dealing with Lee Products ... you never know what you going to get ...
... sorta like a box of chocolates ...
Gary

Bazoo
03-14-2022, 08:24 PM
I know, I generally try their moulds first. I have had about 50/50 success with them. The good ones I hold onto like they were money.

Fulmaduro
03-14-2022, 08:59 PM
I cast some Lee 476-400-RF bullets out of COWW and powder coated them. The ones I didn't shoot I set aside and 2 years later I just mic'd them at .483. They definitely grew a couple thousands after sitting. I just went ahead and sized them in an NOE die bushing to .479 and did a second pass at .478 with a Lee sizer die, ready to load them up. I did powder coat them with a semi-thick coat of Eastwood Ford Blue, but nowhere near .002 worth. They definitely grew larger in diameter. I used straight Alox to tumble lube them before sizing them.

Bazoo
03-14-2022, 09:37 PM
I have some bullets i cast from wws that have been setting atleast 2 years. They ain’t growed any if much. I’ve never experienced bullets getting larger by any significant amount.

Outer Rondacker
03-15-2022, 07:07 AM
That is two of us and I let cast stuff sit around a long time. Once I start casting I normally dont stop until its dark. Lots of bullets in coffee cans for long periods of time. Years if not decades.

Larry Gibson
03-15-2022, 08:49 AM
Many times it's not the Mould but the alloy, the alloy temp and method of pouring that cause smaller diameter across one section, especially on larger bullets.

gwpercle
03-15-2022, 02:18 PM
Many times it's not the Mould but the alloy, the alloy temp and method of pouring that cause smaller diameter across one section, especially on larger bullets.

And on top of all what Larry says ...it could be the Phase of the Moon and you also have to hold your mouth right ... Casting isn't so much an art but some science and Black Magic and experience and some luck .
I've been casting over 50 years and still don't have it near about figured out .
Reminds me of women ... ain't got them figured out either .
Gary

Thundermaker
03-20-2022, 09:53 PM
I bought a new lee 429-200-RF from a vendor on eBay. Well, after the usual burr inspection and removal it casts great. Then the measurements... .427 across one section.

I bought the same mold. Same issue. Bullets are out of round. They measure .428 one way and .427 90° from that. I only bought the mold so that I can play with my .44-40 until my accurate mold gets here. I guess I'll try beagling.

Bazoo
04-02-2022, 10:44 PM
Well, the new mould casts out of round/undersized also. One bullet is .428 the other .427.

I got to choose now, send it back to lee and wait and get another mould that sucks, or I might try beagling with tape. Never done that. I’ve bout had it with lee moulds. I do have several that cast great and that’s what I think about when I consider a lee mould.... what if the next one is a good one? Dagnabit.

gwpercle
04-04-2022, 12:21 PM
Stop measuring them ... Just use a die marked with the dia. you want , size , lube , load and shoot ... Don't measure nothing ...
Ignorance can be a very blissful thing !
Gary

Soundguy
04-04-2022, 12:30 PM
That is two of us and I let cast stuff sit around a long time. Once I start casting I normally dont stop until its dark. Lots of bullets in coffee cans for long periods of time. Years if not decades.

Same here..once I get a pot hot and a mold running good..i try to cast as much as I can before stopping.

Soundguy
04-04-2022, 12:32 PM

Agreed.. Alloy makes a big difference on size. Harder or smaller

Bazoo
04-05-2022, 06:53 PM
Stop measuring them ... Just use a die marked with the dia. you want , size , lube , load and shoot ... Don't measure nothing ...
Ignorance can be a very blissful thing !
Gary
I tried it with a different bullet and I get severe leading if I have an undersized portion.

Bazoo
04-05-2022, 06:54 PM
I normally cast 2 hours then I start getting fatigued.

Bazoo
10-23-2022, 10:28 PM
I tried this mould finally after beagle tape. Well my tape didn’t last very long but I got one good cast before it disintegrated and it was still undersized. I guess I’ll try to chase down some better tape in hopes that was the issue. But really I’m bout fed up with.

technojock
10-23-2022, 11:11 PM
Try reading the second sticky from the top. It has some good info on opening up a mold.

Tony