PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 464 - I replaced extractor on my own

handyrandyrc
01-21-2009, 01:25 AM
Junior Doughty, your informative article (http://www.castbullet.com/misc/tdown.htm) on tear down of a Winchester 94 helped me immensely! The Mossberg is patterned after the 94, and many of the major parts seem very similar, if not near identical. I would have taken a long time trying to get it apart, were it not for your guide as a reference.

After tearing into it, and getting the bolt removed, replacing the extractor was a simple task. Simply pop off the old one, and pop the new one into place! Mossberg was kind enough to have sent me a new one via FedEx -- it came very quickly, and I wouldn't have to be without my lever for a month again. With as easy as it was to replace, using Junior's 94 guide, I don't see why I would want to ever send it back to the repair depot again.

In other related news, a guy over at the leverguns.com forum spoke with Mossberg at the SHOT Show last week. They said they did have extractor problems on the 464, but they have now corrected the problem. I a new part is being implemented in the ongoing builds. Those that break will be replaced with the new one, free of charge. They wouldn't say exactly WHAT the problem was, but at least acknowledged there were some growing pains there, and that they had fixed it.

I'm excited to see how it goes! I'll take it out tomorrow to see how she runs! I've got some fun loads all made up - 1.90cc of Trail Boss topped with Ranch Dog 30-30 boolits.

Also wanted to make note -- those barrel bands are NOT plastic. They are definitely not. Probably investment cast, but are certainly metal.

handyrandyrc
01-22-2009, 12:24 AM
Made a good little pile of brass up today -- 52 rounds down the tube in total! Guess I should get some more loaded up asap -- this is a fun little rifle!

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm159/handyrandyrc/464-02.jpg

I used 1.90cc of Trail Boss with a Ranch Dog 30-30 boolit on top. I dip them in Alox, Ranch Dog style, and pushed these through a .309" Lee boolit sizing die. They sound just like a .22 LR -- hit the bank with a thunk, more authority than the .22. However, velocity on these should be around 1000-1100 fps max, so around same velocity as a .22 LR. But it's about 170 grains of .30 caliber boolit hitting the dirt bank.

I had a riot. Danced some plastic bottles around that someone had left behind. Shot a few at 25 yards to see where the sights were as well.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm159/handyrandyrc/464-01.jpg

5 out of 7 nearly can touch a quarter. Perfect for me! I'll move it out next time -- this trip was more to test function and make sure the extractor is holding up. I'm much more confident in it now -- I don't believe I'll have any problems. I certainly wasn't ginger with it -- I wanted to make sure it would hold up to rough-n-tumble working of the lever.

Feed function is perfect now. They had replaced the carrier at the repair depot, and I think this corrected my problems big time. I no longer am getting the heavy scratches on the brass that I was before they replaced the carrier.