PDA

View Full Version : Did you know 4 H has a shooting sports program?

armoredman
03-07-2022, 05:30 AM
Last Saturday I helped with a 4 H shooting sports match down in Arizona City, Arizona, a multi stage archery tournament and a 22lr rifle match. Walked more in 10 hours than I have in months...but the kids had a great time, and earned the awards they were given. Most people don't even know 4 H does that - in Arizona, the University of Arizona runs the statewide program, which includes, rifle, pistol, air rifle, air pistol, archery, muzzle loader, hunting and shotgun disciplines for kids 8-17, well monitored and plenty of fun for everyone!
If you know anyone with kids that might like to get in on this, look up your local 4 H programs and see what they have to offer in your area!

adktrap
03-07-2022, 07:45 AM
Yup,

Even NY 4H has a shooting program. I try to go to their fundraising banquet and auction every year. They are not active in every county but they do a lot of good for the shooting sports.

Good on you for helping out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gunther
03-07-2022, 08:33 AM
They (4H) are active pretty here. One guy got his kids through the programs and has stuck with it. And now he teaches everything. They use the local longrifle club's range a couple of days a week, And the trap club's range as well. I wish 4H would branch out to 3 position airgun or 22. The local university has a really good rifle team that has to recruit in Pennsylvania, because the local kids haven't learned that part of the sport.

RickinTN
03-07-2022, 09:46 AM
I teach several students to shoot clay targets in Sporting Clays and trap. They are not as active in Tennessee as the SCTP (Scholastic Clay Taret Program) is. I teach many more students who participate in their tournaments. Both are good programs.
Rick

contender1
03-07-2022, 10:28 AM
Sounds like y'all had a GREAT time & KUDOS to them for going.

Yep,, I knew it long ago.

Why?

Because as a Chairman for a FoNRA fundraiser,, AND the fact I sit on the State Grant Fund,, and GIVE GRANTS to assist many of their programs,, I can attest to the simple fact that the 4-H does have a shooting program. I just posted a thread about the WNC grant fund. Well, SEVERAL of the grants were to assist the 4-H shooting programs!

Ok, commercial aside,, I've known for a long time that the 4-H had a shooting program. Even before I got involved with the FoNRA over 20 years ago.

Agent1187
03-07-2022, 02:05 PM
I grew up with it from 2000-2006. Trap, muzzleloader, archery, and .22 were my events. Many great memories, skills, and friendships came from my participation.

Locally, these programs are only as good as the volunteers that run them. And I was fortunate to have some absolutely dedicated guys running ours. So @armoredman , big thanks for volunteering some time to help out, and I would definitely implore anyone whose local club is involved with a 4-H program to consider lending a hand now and then as well.

I'm certainly planning on becoming one of the range officers for my county, but I've still got a few years before the kid is old enough to at least take with.

kerplode
03-07-2022, 04:18 PM
Yes, I knew.

When I was in college back in the late 90's, I found out they had an informal rifle team as part of their offering of extracurricular activities. When I showed up to a meeting, I was informed by the guy running it that I would be required to sign up for 4H since that's how they got their funding.

"But don't you get funded by the school via my tuition like the rest of these programs?"
"Yes, but you have to join 4H"
"I'm busy with school, I don't have time for 4H..."
"Doesn't matter...You have to join"
"Whatever. I'll join, but I'm not participating in anything related to 4H."
"Fine, fill this out."

And just like that, I was in the 4H and a member of the rifle club.

After I attended a couple meetings and one weekend "match", it became perfectly clear that the guy running the program was using the entire thing as a way to finance his daughters' high power training and competition. They got all the best gear, the majority of the ammo, and 110% of his attention. The rest of us were just left to do our own thing. I didn't go back anymore after that.

pworley1
03-07-2022, 04:32 PM
They are active here. Many clubs sponsor the Hunter Safety programs.

Scorpion8
03-07-2022, 04:40 PM
Very active here, but there's more resources than some of the remote communities. All 6th graders have to take an "outdoor skills" class that includes most of the Hunter Safety program including live-fire because the chances of running into firearms in Alaska is very much a reality. Of course one of the local middle schools just changed principals to a CA-person who is trying to throw as many roadblocks as possible, despite it being a city school district ordinance.