PDA

View Full Version : I am looking for 1000 yard .45-70 bullet (cast)

warren5421
03-06-2022, 11:28 PM
I would like to do the Quigley Shoot while I can still lift the C Sharps. I have the Lyman 457125 but don't know if it is heavy enough, 538 gr. Postal, just today found a N.O.E. Creedmoor Mold. I wonder what bullet I should use for the Quigley Shoot, I know 805 yards. My range at home is 300 yards but have found a place I can go to 1200 yards with a good back stop. Finding the range and back stop is hard in Indiana.

Nobade
03-07-2022, 09:35 AM
#457125 will fly to 1000 yards easily. Learning how to manage and shoot it at that distance is going to be much more important than a new bullet.

Bent Ramrod
03-07-2022, 11:51 AM
The 457125 works very well in all the .45 calibers I’ve shot it in.

The 540-gr Creedmoor boolit that was offered by Paul Jones and now by Buffalo Arms does a little better in the wind in my Sharps-pattern target rifles, and is just as straightforward to load. I was surprised to find that my Lyman copy of the 457132 Postell boolit did very well out to 600 yards (the farthest I tested it), with no extra effort in load development. The Money boolits that work well for some shooters never seemed to work as well for me as the Creedmoor boolits, despite changes in powders, loadings and alloy hardness. Like any incremental advance in anything, whether it’s gas mileage in cars or target accuracy in boolits, eventually you wind up putting in more and more effort, in design, manufacture and use technique, for smaller and smaller increases in the returns.

I think you’d do fine out to the Buffalo at the Quigley with the 457125 and a little wind experience. (Come to the “Bragging Rights” gong shoot in Boulder City in April, and you’ll get plenty of wind experience.) But if you have the bucks and want to “try stuff,” a mould for a Creedmoor boolit, or a Buffalo Arms copy of the old Ideal 457132 Postell design, would be worth investigating.

warren5421
03-07-2022, 12:49 PM
Would you share your load data. I used Goex and IMR3031 but can't get Goex right now. Am looking for Swiss 1 1/2 around Indy but no luck yet.

bigtjershooter
03-07-2022, 01:38 PM
I just received my 5lb order frrom buffalo arms. I ordered 5 1lb bottles of Swiss 1 1/2FG. Not cheap but I found it!

Bent Ramrod
03-07-2022, 02:11 PM
Federal Large Pistol Match primers, with punched out primer wad from heavy target paper stock (alternately, CCI BR-2 Large Rifle primer with a circle of newspaper pushed flat on the bottom of the case); 63 gr of Swiss 1-1/2Fg or 66 gr of Olde Eynsford 1-1/2 Fg, a thin card wad and the boolit. Compression and seating so the boolit just contacts the rifling (about 2/3 of the first grease groove exposed). Shells trimmed to 2.10"

Way at the beginning, I used some book loadings (on the mild side, naturally) of 3031 with the 457124 in my .45-70 Garrett Sharps carbine. It caused mottled stains on the rifling that took a fair amount of black powder shooting to finally remove. They didn't come off with straight cleaning. I don't know what it was, but I never tried a repeat.

Check with Crater Fireworks. They had Swiss and OE last time I ordered. Nice guy, too.

DonHowe
03-07-2022, 04:11 PM
A .45 bullet like the Steve Brooks 550gr Creedmoor will do the job. When I could still shoot irons and was prepping to shoot BP long range I ordered a mold from Steve. I told him I planned to shoot LR with .45-70. He cut the mold with a groove diameter top band so the bullet could be seated out further giving more powder space which the .45-70 could use for 1000yd shooting.
Brooks mounds are much more expensive than when I bought mine but a guy would be hard-pressed to find a better made or better casting mold.