PDA

View Full Version : Reminder to be careful out there...

375supermag
03-06-2022, 12:38 PM
Hi...
Yesterday I went to the gun club with my son.
When we got home, I was helping unload our stuff and was carrying a four gun hard sided pistol case in one hand and a leather shooting back in the other with eight revolvers in it.
Walking through the garage, I tripped over the discharge chute on my lawn tractor and took a hard fall onto the concrete floor.
Fortunately, when I face planted my forehead hit the plastic hard sided pistol case and not the concrete.
Still, I have bumps and bruises on my left knee and shoulder, a twisted lower back and a bad strain in my arthritic neck along with a couple of scrapes on my left hand and wrist.

After my son helped me get back on my feet he insisted that the 67 year old antique set on a chair while he finished unloading the truck.
I didn't argue...

I woke up this morning with aches and pains pretty much from head to toe.
Living proof that old guys should not be bouncing off concrete floors.
So...be careful out there, guys.

super6
03-06-2022, 12:54 PM
I gave all my ladders away.. @ 67 I cant take the fall anymore.

osage
03-06-2022, 12:58 PM
It doesn't take much to get tipped over and banged up. Glad it wasn't worse.

Polymath
03-06-2022, 01:03 PM
Yep, I slipped twice on the ice this winter. One was a complete summersault. Shopping cart emptied out and the oranges rolled away. Got a scar to remind me.

dverna
03-06-2022, 01:38 PM
You had me worried for a bit...thought someone had passed...

Sorry to hear of your accident. Take some Naproxen for the pain. I find it is the best for me.

jim 44-40
03-06-2022, 01:41 PM
I'm still learning how to manuver in my basement,to much junk around . Well my wife calls it junk it's treasure to me.

MUSTANG
03-06-2022, 01:47 PM
Wife insists I drive the car to the Mail box instead of getting one of my many "Mini" walks in each day. She's afraid I will fall on the ice even with Ice Clampers on my boots.

BJK
03-06-2022, 02:04 PM
375Supermag, yes, that could have ended much worse. Glad to hear that you came out of it with as little aftereffect as you got. Pain tells us that we're still alive.

Wife insists I drive the car to the Mail box instead of getting one of my many "Mini" walks in each day. She's afraid I will fall on the ice even with Ice Clampers on my boots.

That's what I do. There was a time when I was superman, but I've since learned that the superman thing was all in my head. One morning I went out to start the car to warm it up. When I went to bed it was above freezing, but during the night we had some rain and freezing temps. I hit the stairs without a care. My feet went out from under me and I was horizontal in the air. I tried to fall the best I could. I didn't want to land on my back and maybe break it. So I rotated in the air and came down with my lower right arm and wrist between the stair and my body. It was like a pepper grinder effect. I turned my bones into ground bones. I was in an erector set for quite some time. I had a nurse call me to suggest I not follow the PT that I would be given or I would lose most of the use of the arm. I took her advice and have most of the use of it, 95%. I found out that the PT they wanted me to do is recommended for someone in their 80s who doesn't need to use their arms very much. Phooey on that! I did my own PT. If what I was doing hurt I stopped doing it and came back to it in a few days. I did more and more each day. Anyway, superman? No. Now 25 years later it's even easier to see that I'm not superman. So yes, I drive the car to the mailbox even if I have cleats on my boots.

centershot
03-06-2022, 02:15 PM
I can confirm that at 67 you don't bounce very well. Slipped on an icy sidewalk 3 weeks ago and broke a rib. Still can't lie down and sleep in bed......

super6
03-06-2022, 02:26 PM
Wet grass and a wheelbarrow took out my ribs. Never again.

Bmi48219
03-06-2022, 02:59 PM
Yep, I slipped twice on the ice this winter. One was a complete summersault. Got a scar to remind me.

An older brother slipped on a small patch of ice by the mailbox last week. Fractured his pelvic bone.
We left the snow & ice behind a long time ago. I’d rather face a hurricane every decade than deal with snow and ice four months a year.

Froogal
03-06-2022, 03:11 PM

I hear you. Tried using my 36' extension ladder a couple of days ago. Needless to say, that project is still needing to be done, and the ladder is for sale.

Handloader109
03-06-2022, 03:22 PM
It ain't just you old guys. (Yeah, I'm 63 and right behind and yah). I saw a post from an ex employee this morning on FB. She had 15 stitches above the left eye. Wouldn't talk about it, but I expect a stupid fall or something falling on her. She and her hubby are good, so no abuse.. just something she's ashamed of doing. Just be careful. I've been lucky, tripped over a big rock this fall and thought I'd broken my ankle, just sprained. Wife has tripped over our two terriers this past year and almost killed herself in doing so. Ribs fractured and elbow dinged up pretty good the last time.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

pworley1
03-06-2022, 03:33 PM
Growing old ain't for the timid.

CastingFool
03-06-2022, 03:39 PM
It's not the fall that hurts you. It's the sudden stop afterwards.

Txcowboy52
03-06-2022, 03:40 PM
Glad you ok supermag! We all know it could have been much worse! I can totally relate, I’m a little younger than you, I lost my leg roughly 15 years ago from a iron horse accident, no fault of my own, and I deal every day with the pit falls of falling, the older I get the worse it is .

lightman
03-06-2022, 04:03 PM
Glad you are mostly ok and not seriously injured. Yeah, us old guys don't land so good anymore! :sad:

Buzz Krumhunger
03-06-2022, 04:12 PM
Whoever named these “the golden years” was full of bovine excrement. :bigsmyl2:

Rapier
03-06-2022, 04:13 PM
I have no idea when I stopped bouncing well, but now I do not bounce well at all and I do not jump up either.
When I decided to replace our in place analog camera system with a new 4K digital system, I got a contractor, he got old too, so I told him we better get us a pretzel-acrobat, to go through the trusses, great choice, that.

Silvercreek Farmer
03-06-2022, 04:17 PM
Welding leads got me.

G W Wade
03-06-2022, 04:59 PM
In spiting distance of 72 and 6 weeks past some minor back surgury. Too much ice up here, scared to walk to mailbox but too stubborn to move from the great froozen north. Still hoping to shoot SASS in a couple of months. Be carefull out there guys!!! Ain;t for the weak or timid GW

Shawlerbrook
03-06-2022, 05:30 PM
At 3 weeks shy of 65, I definitely don’t bounce like I use to.

Texas by God
03-06-2022, 05:42 PM
Here's to you,375! Take it slow and get better.
The skull on concrete event is life changing.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20220306/30b1e8e948d30155deea97710579e2bf.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

rockrat
03-06-2022, 06:01 PM
Glad you are OK. My neighbor slipped on the ice last week and has 8 screws in his upper arm now.

daengmei
03-06-2022, 06:15 PM
I seem to drop things. Phone, keys, you all know. The worst is a sharp knife while not having shoes on. Very close calls. Years ago my brother dropped a fillet knife while eating and closed his knees to catch it. Quite a mess and a huge cut.

tinsnips
03-06-2022, 06:21 PM
Fell off a sissor lift last year 8 feet down onto the concrete floor. Just laid there for awhile . Felt like it but, I was lucky this time. At 65 there is no bounce left in me.

Kraschenbirn
03-07-2022, 11:31 AM
I hear you. Tried using my 36' extension ladder a couple of days ago. Needless to say, that project is still needing to be done, and the ladder is for sale.

Funny someone should mention that. I've got one of those in the loft of my garage and it, too, would be for sale if I could get it down.

Bill

.429&H110
03-07-2022, 02:00 PM
My shop had a big poster on the wall:

DON"T FALL FOR ANYTHING

I would like a copy to put up at church
because our usual cause of death around here is falling.
We do not die of the fall, usually, but of bedbound pneumonia afterwards.
It's a test of a geezer, can we get up off the floor unaided?
If you want to live independently, you'll have to.
If you sit and rot, you will just sit and rot.
Really, don't fall for anything.

firefly1957
03-07-2022, 04:40 PM
I am now 65 and ladders are really bothering me .
I had the yard light go bad over the garage it is a 175 watt mercury light and the inner bulb shattered we did not have a storm I suspect it is the nearby wind turbines kicking in and out of the grid? Anyway To replace it I used the skid steer bucket full up then c clamped the ladder to the bucket that I could stand in to replace the light which hangs over the edge of garage roof and about 6 feet higher .

fiberoptik
03-07-2022, 08:39 PM

I was standing on top of the 6’ ladder trimming branches. Everything was fine up to when the ladder folded up by itself and I fell 6’ straight down on my heels. I decided right there that sitting on my as$ for a while was a really good idea since the yard was spinning and my head was ringing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fiberoptik
03-07-2022, 08:43 PM
I seem to drop things. Phone, keys, you all know. The worst is a sharp knife while not having shoes on. Very close calls. Years ago my brother dropped a fillet knife while eating and closed his knees to catch it. Quite a mess and a huge cut.

I’m still trying to learn not to try and catch them when they fall!

nvbirdman
03-08-2022, 08:06 PM
I bit down on a tortilla chip a week ago and broke a tooth. That's going to be another gold crown in my mouth. Is that the reason they call these the golden years?

brassrat
03-08-2022, 09:37 PM
Yes be careful out there

Bmi48219
03-09-2022, 12:23 AM

Historically ladders, or more precisely falls from ladders, are among the top causes of serious home accidents. I became a member of that club 23 months ago.

woodbutcher
03-12-2022, 03:53 AM
[smilie=s: My Dad used to say"Beware the golden years,they just might be brass plated pot metal".
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

varmintpopper
03-12-2022, 04:36 AM
Just wait til You're 86 if You think it hurts now.

Good Shooting

Lindy

Land Owner
03-12-2022, 06:23 AM
As are you, we're allergic to gravity. It was the "take ALL the groceries into the house at one time" libido that got you into trouble. Good thing for sons, which is why you had one in the first place.

Electrod47
03-12-2022, 06:48 PM
I had the yard light go bad over the garage it is a 175 watt mercury light and the inner bulb shattered we did not have a storm I suspect it is the nearby wind turbines kicking in and out of the grid? Anyway To replace it I used the skid steer bucket full up then c clamped the ladder to the bucket that I could stand in to replace the light which hangs over the edge of garage roof and about 6 feet higher .

Buddy: Some might call that a Death Wish. Glad you made it.

FISH4BUGS
03-13-2022, 08:49 AM
Oh man, do i hear you! I am now 73, on the tail end of a very active life (bicyclist, hiker), still working full time, and feeling the aches and pains every day all day!
The only thing for me is to SLOW DOWN!
I don't bound up the stairs any more, and bringing in wood is moving slower and a smaller amount each trip.
Snow blowing is slower and let the machine do the work rather than horsing it around.
Gardening is slower. Yard work is slower.
About the only thing that hasn't slowed down is casting and reloading. :)
That's OK with me, given the alternatives.

John Guedry
03-13-2022, 09:09 AM
I fell several years ago at about age 72 from a ladder about 4 ft up flat on my back onto the asphalt street. Now asphalt is not as hard as concrete but when you land on it you'll never know the difference. No harm done,but I avoid ladders like the plague.

georgerkahn
03-13-2022, 09:54 AM
Hi...
Yesterday I went to the gun club with my son.
When we got home, I was helping unload our stuff and was carrying a four gun hard sided pistol case in one hand and a leather shooting back in the other with eight revolvers in it.
Walking through the garage, I tripped over the discharge chute on my lawn tractor and took a hard fall onto the concrete floor.
Fortunately, when I face planted my forehead hit the plastic hard sided pistol case and not the concrete.
Still, I have bumps and bruises on my left knee and shoulder, a twisted lower back and a bad strain in my arthritic neck along with a couple of scrapes on my left hand and wrist.

After my son helped me get back on my feet he insisted that the 67 year old antique set on a chair while he finished unloading the truck.
I didn't argue...

I woke up this morning with aches and pains pretty much from head to toe.
Living proof that old guys should not be bouncing off concrete floors.
So...be careful out there, guys.

Last year I was carrying two carbines in one hand, with my cane in the other, to take them downstairs to lock in safe post, let me say, not my "best" trip ever to range (I shot lousy; it started pouring rain; I had a few ftfs; others there were not my most favourite people ;); etc,) and I had noted the switch at stair's top was "up" -- but lights were off. I hate that! And, the 3-way switch at bottom, surely, was "down". OK -- it was midafternoon, and I made it down OK until I came to the bottom step. OOPS! It was the 2nd step :(! Two "good newses" were that I did not impact the firearms; and, when my wife got home and saw the right side of my leg/hip where I had ker-plunked on the concrete floor, a trip to E.R. for XRays (poss broken hip?) was mandated -- nothing broken. However, in addition to an increase in ambulatory challenges for a bit, I was black'n'blue for a couple of months!
Maybe had I turned on lights to "correct" their handle positions on the way up after securing firearms in safe???
Yes -- I do not recall IF I bounced on the concrete -- doubtful -- and it definitely was not my best day...

firefly1957
03-13-2022, 04:33 PM
Buddy: Some might call that a Death Wish. Glad you made it.

I do not get your comment I had a very stable and locked in position platform with large bucket to work from .

gwpercle
03-13-2022, 06:52 PM

I don't mind the fall ... it's that sudden stop that gets me !
Gary

fiberoptik
03-13-2022, 07:08 PM
As are you, we're allergic to gravity. It was the "take ALL the groceries into the house at one time" libido that got you into trouble. Good thing for sons, which is why you had one in the first place.

That “carrying all the grocery bags at once cost me $3,500!
Stepped on my 22 year old cat that I couldn’t see & heard “Crunch!”. Broke his back leg. $1,750 to pin it. And a month later another $1,750 to remove it! Don’t play Mr. Macho!

fiberoptik
03-14-2022, 03:06 AM
Back in 1986 I learned how to fly while on my Yamaha FZ-750 in Yuma. I flew about 50’ & slid around 50 yards. I must concur; the landing really sucks! So did scraping off most of the meat on my forearms and the resulting green infection that was scrubbed out with a potato brush and scraped off with a scalpel: all without painkillers! Repeatedly!
Semper Fi DevilDog!

FISH4BUGS
03-14-2022, 12:59 PM
Back in 1986 I learned how to fly while on my Yamaha FZ-750 in Yuma. I flew about 50’ & slid around 50 yards. I must concur; the landing really sucks! So did scraping off most of the meat on my forearms and the resulting green infection that was scrubbed out with a potato brush and scraped off with a scalpel: all without painkillers! Repeatedly!
Semper Fi DevilDog!

Ouch ....that hurt just to read that!

Jim22
03-14-2022, 07:50 PM
I am wondering why this isn't an annual thread. I, too, fell a couple weeks ago while walking the dog. lt was in the morning, the temperature was in the thaw level, and the ice was still there. I had bought the missus a pair of crampons for her shoes but didn't get any for old Rambo here. Got about fifty yards away, to where I let the dog off the leash. Did so and then tucked the retractable leash under my left arm. Next thing I knew I was lying on my side in pain.

Turns out the leash did a thorough job. Broke four ribs. Doctors have been sympathetic and curious. Prolly the best icefall injury any of them have seen. I don't feel proud. I will get myself some crampons for my shoes. My Rambo days, if they ever existed, are far behind me. I will turn 75 in May.

Jim

huntinmo
03-17-2022, 03:14 PM
Be careful out there!

Fishman
03-22-2022, 02:34 PM
Man you guys aren't giving me much optimism here. I'm in my early 50's and had a couple bad falls already this year. Technically the first was Christmas eve (no I wasn't drinking :)) but I fell off the porch heading for the steps to go start the truck to go to church of all things. My left knee was hobbled up badly for a couple months over that one, and toward the end of that I took another spill in the dark and fell on the right knee. It was ridiculously painful to walk for a long time and I am just now able to do much of it or stand for longer than a few minutes at most. Things don't heal nearly as quickly.