PDA

View Full Version : Turkish Mauser M1903/35 stock

fatelk
03-06-2022, 02:29 AM
I picked up a barreled action recently, a Turkish Mauser. I had a Turk Mauser stock in my closet, figured I could use it.

Well, it doesn't fit. After some research, I find out that the stock was from a M38 Turkish Mauser, and the barreled action is a M1903/35 Turkish Mauser.

So now I'm looking for a stock to fit. I'll have to decide between a sporter type stock, and an original. I prefer original, but can't find anything online. The bore looks pretty nice, shiny even. Any ideas what type of stock will fit this, or where to look? I'm in no hurry; I didn't pay much for it and it might end up being another "someday" project.

LAGS
03-06-2022, 03:59 AM
Why does the stock not fit the action.
Is it the receiver size like one stock is a large ring and the action is a small ring.
Or is it the barrel channel ?
I have several Turkish stocks, but have never owned a 1903 style.
But I may have a semi inletted unused military stock that can be fit to your action if conditions are close.

waksupi
03-06-2022, 12:14 PM
When Turkey contracted for their Mausers, they stipulated that any changes or improvement to the rifles would be done to any delivered. So, you could have a dozen variations to fit.

fatelk
03-06-2022, 02:02 PM
On closer examination, it appears that the receiver is slightly shorter. The bolt holes are the same, but I'd need to inlet back a bit for the receiver ring to fit. It looks like it can be done though. I'll need a handguard, but it looks like Numrich has those.

As I recall, I found this particular M38 stock at a flea market for a dollar maybe 15 or 20 years ago. It was badly cracked at the front and I was going to repair it and use it on an M38 Turk I got from a friend. He'd bought a $70 Big 5 M38 intending to use it as a cheap "truck gun". He hated it, so he gave it to his nephew. Turned out it had headspace problems, the brass all cracked when fired. I told him I'd do him a favor and trade it for one of my Turk Mausers of the same type. When the nephew brought it by, I realized that he'd taken a hacksaw to it; both the barrel and stock were a foot shorter, and poorly done. I bit my tongue and traded anyhow. He seemed like a nice kid who was excited to get a rifle that worked.

So, the dismantled remains of the M38 have been in my parts bin ever since. I have plenty of quality hunting rifles, so have never been particularly interested in "sporterized" military rifles. I'd rather let it sit until I find a usable original barrel and stock.

I'll try my hand at inletting the stock I have to fit this 1903 action, and let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the help!

LAGS
03-06-2022, 02:20 PM
On many rifles,
I took misc stocks from different models and modified them to fit actions and barrels that I had.
I recently took a junk Mauser stock and fitted it to a friend's Polish M 29 that he could not find an original stock in decent condition.
I had to modify a handguard to fit where the sights were on the M29.
The rifle looks like an original from 10 feet away , but it is now functional in original looking condition.
Fitting the original bands and other hardware was a little complicated , but looks and works great.

Texas by God
03-06-2022, 05:54 PM
Is the 1903 Turk basically a 1893 small ring action- or an 1898 type?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

LAGS
03-06-2022, 06:00 PM
If the action is a Small Ring like the 93, you can glass bed it into a large ring stock if the action screws are the same spacing.

racepres
03-06-2022, 06:13 PM
The Turks Shortened that action in order to leave a Ring to support the rear of the Handguard... Believe it or not!!!
I will look ...as I may have a new (yup Never used) Turk stock... Prolly Not a handguard... But... maybe
BTW it probably started life as a German MFG M98 Modified...Like all Post 1938 Turkish Mausers, to the Turkish M38 Standard, 8mm.
Even the Small rings were converted

Der Gebirgsjager
03-06-2022, 06:50 PM
An interesting situation and possible project.

Since the nephew cut down the barrel you can't do a proper restoration to as-issued-military unless you re-barrel. I have a box of take off M-34 barrels and could help you out with one. I haven't looked at them for years so can't say right now what condition the bores are in. I'm sure, like all things Turkish, they show at least some wear.

Since the rifle apparently has bad headspace or a bad chamber (you mentioned cracked brass) a re-barrel is probably in order anyway.

The stock was cut down. I'm assuming you mean the front end and not the butt, so your options would seem to be an issue stock if you intend a restoration, or a sporter stock if you intend to make a sporter. Again, assuming we're talking about the front end being cut off, there is the option to "stretch" it back to original by adding a piece of walnut to the front to replace the missing piece, but there are lots of stocks around for these rifles and that option is probably impractical in this case.

So--bad stock, bad barrel-- seems like what you've got is a 03-38 action. Starting with the receiver, bolt, bottom metal, the project can go either way. As-issued restoration or sporter. Since there are lots and lots of Turk surplus rifles around, my choice would be a sporter. Not a cost effective choice, but a fun project and lots of satisfaction upon completion. The Turk action is a good one.

I probably have about a dozen of the M-38 rifles still in their shipping boxes from back when I was in business, most in VG-EX condition. I have two as-issued that were in just terrible condition which I couldn't resist taking on as restoration projects. The problem was mainly the condition of the stocks, and I enjoy rehabbing military stocks. One of them is walnut (I think) but very light walnut, and the other darker. The light one looked like it had laid out in the hot Turkish sun for years and was completely dry with many cracks, repaired with AccraGlas Gel and pins. The other looked like a survivor of years of bayonet practice. What I can say is that they are excellent shooters if they have a good bore, and they like cast 8mm GC bullets.

DG

LAGS
03-06-2022, 07:55 PM
Projects like that one can be fun and make you feel better that you got spare parts into something functional.
It cost too much to try and fully rebuild a military rifle back to original condition.
And being a Rebuild , the value is not up there like an original.
The Franklinrifles are interesting, as long as they are not just bubbaed together or just built into a low cost sporter
And for the Newbies getting into their own work , you can raise your skill level at a lower cost.

fatelk
03-07-2022, 12:36 AM
I apologize, should clarify- there are two separate rifles I was talking about. One is the old rifle that's sat in pieces for close to 20 years; it's an M38. Its barrel has been chopped, as well as the stock well short of the rear band.
The other is the barreled action with all metal, that I just picked up; it's a M1903/35. I also have a full-length stock in reparable condition, not pretty. Neither of these will be collectible guns once they're done.

I'm not terribly interested in sporterized military rifles. I have a lot of rifles, both military and commercial. I still have two M38 Turks that I bought at Big-5 back in the day for $50 each, as well as one that I foolishly sporterized myself (what was I thinking?). I don't really need more. I'm sure you guys understand though- here's a project that needs put back together, might as well, huh? :)

Since the nephew cut down the barrel you can't do a proper restoration to as-issued-military unless you re-barrel. I have a box of take off M-34 barrels and could help you out with one. I haven't looked at them for years so can't say right now what condition the bores are in. I'm sure, like all things Turkish, they show at least some wear.
I would be interested in buying one from you, if there's one in decent usable condition. It doesn't have to be pretty, just usable. I don't know if I have the means to install it at this time though.

I have several take-off Remington barrels from back in the '90s when I worked for a gunsmith. I had thought in the past of installing one on the one receiver, making a full-fledged sporter out of it. Like I said though, my interest in sporters has waned, and I don't have a lathe so the cost of having a gunsmith install it was cost-prohibitive for something that's not important to me.
A friend recently bought a lathe, and I've been thinking of getting a barrel vice and a few basic tools.

Thanks guys, for all the good info and advice.

LAGS
03-07-2022, 01:39 AM
I had a Yugo Mauser that the last 4" of the barrel was really badly rusted and pitted.
I wanted to make a military style rifle instead of a Sporter when I shortened the barrel.
At the time , a new barrel was cost prohibitive since I was out of work.
So I cut the barrel down to 19.5" and reinstalled the front sight with some modification.
I them shortened the stock to still use the bayonet lug and moved the bands as needed.
I built the rifle to be like a calvary carbine.
It looked great and every time I took it to the range , someone offered to buy it.
I finally did trade it for some other project rifles and spare parts.
So , you have options if the barrel and stock are shortened , but you don't want a Sporter.
I have also lengthened chopped off stocks by installing another forend like was done on Duffle Cut stocks

fatelk
03-07-2022, 02:10 AM
That's a great idea, similar to what I did with the one I modified years ago. I would definitely consider that if the shortened barrel were usable. Unfortunately the rifling is poor, in addition to the headspace problem. I actually found a stock forend (cut at the barrel band) in my junk in the garage, I think from the one I previously modified. I had the idea of pinning and gluing it back onto the shortened stock from the other one. Unfortunately that stock was cut well back of the band.

This "Bubba gunsmithing" took place back when these guns could be had for $50 each, so we didn't think much of it back then, but it sure is a shame when someone takes a hacksaw to an old rifle like this, especially when it's done so poorly.

Around 15 years ago or so an acquaintance gave me a Mosin-Nagant from a family estate he was settling. Nobody in the family wanted it. The metal was unmolested but the stock was absolutely and horribly butched. I think Bubba was drunk one night and needed something to carve. Anyhow, that was back when people were still "upgrading" their Mosins with sporter stocks and plastic monstrosities, so I found a full length original replacement on ebay for something like $50 or $60. It's still a common-as-dirt wartime Mosin, but at least it looks decent now.

fatelk
03-13-2022, 03:11 AM
Well, I finally got around to inletting the stock to fit. It actually didn't take very much at all, and looks good. Now all I need is a handguard for it. I see Numrich has them, might have to just order one from them. Busy weekend, with the OT from this weekend I could probably buy a couple brand new rifles (not that I would).

fatelk
04-10-2022, 01:59 AM
Just to finish this thread, I finally got it put together. I paid $13 for a hand guard from Numrich. I was pleasantly surprised that it fits perfectly and matches reasonably well. The other couple small pieces I needed for it weren't that much either.

It's complete except for a cleaning rod, and it shoots really well. I think it's the smoothest Mauser I own.

trooperdan
04-10-2022, 03:50 PM
Coming in late on this with my two cents worth. I also bought a couple of these 1903 barreled actions. They are a small ring action and a Swede Mauser stock fits just about perfectly! It will cause no end of confusion for the next generation of collectors when these 1903 actions start showing up in Swede 96 stocks! The bores of the ones I got very very sharp and bright!