PDA

View Full Version : May be in the market for a new riding lawnmower

samari46
03-06-2022, 12:30 AM
As the title suggests, I may be in the market for a new riding lawn mower. Can't use a zero turn in some places so a regular
one will have to do. Thinking about Husquvarna 24 hp but kind of wondering about the switch that turns the mower on. Had a John Deere that did nothing but drain my wallet. So no John Deere's please. Would like to hear about your suggestions. Thanks,Frank

DougGuy
03-06-2022, 12:38 AM
Last one I bought was a Craigslist deal, bought it for a girl I was with at the time, gave $300 for a 42in Toro 18hp I think, put a carburetor on it, and some rear tires, ran it a full season, and me and the girl that owned it split, I bet she got another season out of it or maybe two, who knows. Not bad for less than $500.

Beats the daylights out of spending 4,000.00 on a new name brand mower, could you run it maintenance free for 10 years so it would cost $400 a year? I don't think so.

You don't always get what you pay for, so you learn to find things that almost pay for themselves by the expenses you avoid. That girl had been paying over $100 twice a month at the very least to have 4 acres mowed. That Toro was basically free, it paid for itself before the season was even half done.

BJK
03-06-2022, 12:40 AM
Can't really help. I have a Husqy zero turn and have for 15 years. It's a beast. I still don't like mowing, but at least mowing is tolerable and fast and I have a lot to mow.

racepres
03-06-2022, 01:06 AM
Husky Rider is nice... But... Sorry...Bought my Bitter Half a John Deere... BTW, She Loves it!!!
Oh and our place is much too Rough for Zero Turn... Throw yer ass right off of it!!!!

Ford SD
03-06-2022, 01:16 AM
All I can say was last Summer 2021 did not see a lot of new mowers for sale

trails4u
03-06-2022, 01:19 AM
Do not buy the Poulan Pro..I think Home Depot sells them (made by Husqvarna)......transmission will fail and is not repairable.

ryanmattes
03-06-2022, 01:39 AM
I have a Husqvarna YTH24V54, with the 54" deck. It makes quick work of the ~7.5 acres I have to mow, and it's quite uneven, with long runs where I'm leaning at a 20 degree angle.

I bought the bagger attachment, mostly for picking up leaves in the fall, and I replaced the front wheels with solid tires because of all the mesquite thorns. I have a little trouble with the stock rear tires on an incline if the grass is wet, but some knobby tires would probably fix that. I've had it for about 5 years and 62 hours of run time. I've done the usual maintenance: oil changes, blow out the air filter, sharpen the blades, grease the joints, etc. But that's it. Never had an engine issue, never had a breakdown.

It is probably due to go to a shop for a tune up. It rattles and squeaks more than it did when it was new, and the engine doesn't run as clean and even as it did when it was new. But it hasn't failed me yet with regular, common-sense maintenance. And since engines aren't really my forte, I'd like to put it in the shop and have a professional go over it and make it hum along again like new. But other than oil and grease, that will be the only money I've spent on it since I've bought it.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

cwtebay
03-06-2022, 02:15 AM
I have a BIG lawn and a push mower. I enjoy our grass and find time to get it mowed. Yep, I mounted a headlight on my old gal that makes it easier to get it done right .

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Alstep
03-06-2022, 02:34 AM
I had a Husqvarna zero turn, and it was the worst mower I ever had. Constant maintenance, wore out spindles and bearings, oddball non standard belt size that cost 3 times a standard belt cost, and finally the hydraulics gave out at around 900 hours.
A couple of friends have a Ferris zero turn that are serving them well. I might consider that in the future.
My old 1970 International Lo Boy is still going strong.

Winger Ed.
03-06-2022, 03:14 AM
I've done the usual maintenance: oil changes, blow out the air filter, sharpen the blades, grease the joints, etc. But that's it. Never had an engine issue, never had a breakdown.

There isn't much else a shop can do that you haven't, except change the spark plug and maybe a belt or two.
You don't really have much time on it either. About the biggest issue I think you'll have is stale gas.
A little bump of fuel injector cleaner will clean out the carb. jets too instead of an unnecessary rebuild.

DougGuy
03-06-2022, 03:41 AM
There isn't much else a shop can do that you haven't, except change the spark plug and maybe a belt or two.
You don't really have much time on it either. About the biggest issue I think you'll have is stale gas.
A little bump of fuel injector cleaner will clean out the carb. jets too instead of an unnecessary rebuild.

Most of the carbs are made by Nikki, and they don't take well to ethanol fuel sitting for any amount of time. The O rings shrink which causes air leaks, fuel leaks, the Toro I posted about had one that bled past the O ring that seals the fuel inlet at the bowl, so it dumped an entire tank of gas thorugh the carb, into the cylinders and crankcase, filled up the muffler and kept running onto the garage floor. The garage was a BOMB with fumes waiting for something to set it off. Glad there was no power to the building!

It wasn't expensive to fix, but getting all the oil and gas out of the engine was a chore. I took the plugs out and had to remove the sheet metal so I could spin it by hand, slowly, as it was blowing gasoline and fumes out both spark plug holes. I see on Google that a LOT of people have this same issue with the same Nikki carburetor on many different brands of mowers. The common repair along with the carb kit or new carb was a $12 fuel shutoff valve added in the line to prevent dumping gas into the engine when it wasn't running. I ebayed a new carb for about $50 and it ran like a top. It ran a LOT better than before so that carb had been degrading the power and also increasing fuel consumption for a considerable time before it died.

Winger Ed.
03-06-2022, 04:19 AM
it dumped an entire tank of gas thorugh the carb, into the cylinders and crankcase and out the vent onto the garage floor. .

Wow.
I've been super lucky. I've had jets stop up from old gas a few times, but nothing like that.
It's frustrating, but a easy and cheap fix with carb. spray.
I don't understand how they do it, but I've had a couple of spark plugs get ruined from old gas too.

My JD riding mower has the fuel tank in the back under the seat.
The worst it's ever done is have the vacuum operated fuel pump go out.
I don't think it can set up a siphon and empty the tank if a fuel line cracks or the float sinks down.

bdicki
03-06-2022, 08:38 AM
I would not get a cheap hydrostatic axle, the biggest failed part on the mowers I've had has been the non serviceable hydrostatic transaxles. I've had a Murry copy of a Craftsman with the standard axle and it's going on it's third motor and still going strong. All the motors have come from mowers with the hydrostatic axles. Used mowers have been less than $500. Although I've stepped up and got the wife a new one with a serviceable hydrostatic system, a hydraulic pump and two hydraulic motors with two filters.
https://i.imgur.com/fygoqzOl.jpg

dverna
03-06-2022, 08:39 AM
I had a Husqvarna 48" rider from Lowes (consumer model). Mowed 2 acres for 9 years and never replaced a belt. But I hate cutting grass so last year bought a Bad Boy 54" ZT. I cut the grass in half the time now.

BTW sold the rider for $1000 with the grass catcher. Only thing in 9 years was a bad seat safety switch, a couple of batteries, a fuel pump (cheap on line), filters and one set of plugs. Oh yes...one spindle but that was my fault...hit a large rock. Decent machine for $1800.

BTW get a mower lift. Makes changing blades safer and easier. Only about $150. I got mine at TSC.

Finster101
03-06-2022, 09:10 AM
I don't understand how a lawn tractor will work, but a zero turn will not. For cutting grass there is no better tool than a zero turn.

Shopdog
03-06-2022, 09:16 AM
Think it's an '89? Bought it around 5 or so years ago with just over 500hrs on it. About the same price as a zero turn. 3cyl diesel,4wd,6' Land Pride deck. Uses less fuel than the JD riding mower. Which was a VG mower.... all the plastic pieces on it literally disintegrated. Just turned to crumbles? And these machines have their own,luxury parking places. Doubt that JD ever got rained on? Big honkin Kawasaki V twin motor was as strong with 20 years on it as when new. Daad blamed plastic!!

DougGuy
03-06-2022, 09:42 AM
Wow.
I've been super lucky. I've had jets stop up from old gas a few times, but nothing like that.
It's frustrating, but a easy and cheap fix with carb. spray.
I don't understand how they do it, but I've had a couple of spark plugs get ruined from old gas too.

My JD riding mower has the fuel tank in the back under the seat.
The worst it's ever done is have the vacuum operated fuel pump go out.
I don't think it can set up a siphon and empty the tank if a fuel line cracks or the float sinks down.

OH I forgot, it didn't overflow the vent, it filled up the cylinders, crankcase, AND muffler which is underneath the engine, kept on until it had drained a full tank of gas through the engine and out the exhaust. Gravity feed tank. Edited previous post.

The Nikki carb has a single molded bowl gasket which has all the O rings molded into it, the one that failed lets the bowl fill up and there is no shut off on that one, since the needle valve is intended to stop the flow of fuel. I learned from a repair shop that none of the commonly available O rings will work as this one is an ******* size cleverly implemented to make it where it can only be repaired with this proprietary gasket that only comes in one of their rebuild kits or a new carb.

The kit ordered from fleabay came and it was missing this only O ring that goes where the fuel line comes in, now in hindsight I guess someone bought the kit and cut the O ring out of it and sent it back or somehow it came with all new parts EXCEPT the O ring that was broken, so new carb was a lot less hassle and it ran better.

rockrat
03-06-2022, 09:48 AM
I have an older JD 445. Oil and gas and filters except for the bagger, which eats drive belts, so I don't use it much. Wife has a JD304, 4 wheel steer and had to put a battery in it. Factory one lasted a year. Would barely turn over and when I put a new battery in, still wouldn't start. JD fixed it for free and said if you have a low batt. and tried to start it, it would burn out the ignition module, so make sure the battery is charged.

Since you don't care for JD, maybe look and see if Kubota makes anything that might work for you

Gator 45/70
03-06-2022, 09:52 AM
Bought the wife one of these, It should pay for itself considering high gas prices?

https://yardday.com/best-hand-push-lawn-mower

Finster101
03-06-2022, 09:58 AM
Bought the wife one of these, It should pay for itself considering high gas prices?

https://yardday.com/best-hand-push-lawn-mower

Not by the time you factor in the attorney fees.

Gator 45/70
03-06-2022, 10:43 AM

Lol, Nah she wanted it to exercise with, Win win investment

Woodtroll
03-06-2022, 11:15 AM
I don't understand how a lawn tractor will work, but a zero turn will not. For cutting grass there is no better tool than a zero turn.

I'm guessing, living in SW Florida, that you've never had a zero-turn break loose with you on a steep hill. All you can do is hang on and try to keep it from flipping!

I have been using a Cub Cadet RZT-S "zero turn" that has a steering wheel, front wheels that actually steer, but independent rear transmissions, for several years now and am very happy with it. It's not quite a "zero turn" as advertised, but it does pretty well, is much faster and much more maneuverable than a tractor-type mower, and sticks to sidehills real well.

fastdadio
03-06-2022, 11:15 AM

^^^ Wise man with a keen future ^^^

Froogal
03-06-2022, 12:20 PM
As the title suggests, I may be in the market for a new riding lawn mower. Can't use a zero turn in some places so a regular
one will have to do. Thinking about Husquvarna 24 hp but kind of wondering about the switch that turns the mower on. Had a John Deere that did nothing but drain my wallet. So no John Deere's please. Would like to hear about your suggestions. Thanks,Frank

Why can you not use a zero turn? If you are afraid of leaving marks in the grass when you turn, it only takes a little practice to learn how to turn without leaving marks. I really like my 42" Country Clipper with the joy stick steering.

gumbo333
03-06-2022, 01:52 PM
If you think your lawn is to rough or steep for a zero turn you are using too light weight a mower. Try a zero turn that weighs 1200/ 1300 pounds or more. They won’t slide downhill. Cut your mowing time in half or more. Had a JD 445 for a few years, really a nice mower but weighed only half enough. Hustlers are nice.

Froogal
03-06-2022, 03:18 PM
I regularly mow a fairly steep bank with my zero turn, and sometimes the grass is wet and slick, but I learned to anticipate and with practice I can keep the mower right where I want it. Kind of like crab walking.

ulav8r
03-06-2022, 08:29 PM
Have Montgomery Wards mower built by Yardman, with a Briggs 18 horse motor. Replaced the starter 2 years ago(about 18 years old at that time), then about a month later the pulley on the motor shaft split, so got a push mower to take it's place. It still runs so will continue to use it to pull a dump cart.

Mk42gunner
03-06-2022, 08:57 PM
Think it's an '89? Bought it around 5 or so years ago with just over 500hrs on it. About the same price as a zero turn. 3cyl diesel,4wd,6' Land Pride deck. Uses less fuel than the JD riding mower. Which was a VG mower.... all the plastic pieces on it literally disintegrated. Just turned to crumbles? And these machines have their own,luxury parking places. Doubt that JD ever got rained on? Big honkin Kawasaki V twin motor was as strong with 20 years on it as when new. Daad blamed plastic!!
I agree with Shopdog. one of the sub compact tractors, really doesn't matter which brand, and a finish mower will outlast most current production riding lawn mowers.

Mine happens to be an old Kubota L175 from the 1970's with a Woods belly mower. It worked so well that when the tractor died, I waited until I found another tractor to mount the mower to.

Robert

Texas by God
03-06-2022, 09:06 PM
We have a Skag stand-up zero turn and a John Deere 4 wheel steering riding mower and they are both very good mowers. I have conventional JD and Husky mowers also that I'd probably give away.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

samari46
03-07-2022, 01:07 AM
Finster101, I have an orange tree, magnolia tree, and pecan tree close to the fence that runs across the property, and a few areas that you cannot get a zero turn in. My old crapsman will barely fit around the aluminum screened encloseure around the pool. Due to the outside supports. Open areas I could get away with my Kubota L3800 tractor with bush hog. And at 75 am not about to start using my gas powered lawn mower. Legs are too old. My tow behind cart has outlasted 3 riding mowers. Frank

Froogal
03-07-2022, 10:26 AM
Finster101, I have an orange tree, magnolia tree, and pecan tree close to the fence that runs across the property, and a few areas that you cannot get a zero turn in. My old crapsman will barely fit around the aluminum screened encloseure around the pool. Due to the outside supports. Open areas I could get away with my Kubota L3800 tractor with bush hog. And at 75 am not about to start using my gas powered lawn mower. Legs are too old. My tow behind cart has outlasted 3 riding mowers. Frank

My zero turn mower takes a 42" cut. I specifically bought that size because it does fit into those tighter places. Yes, I could have bought a mower with a much wider cut, but then I would need to trim with a push mower. Both of us are old enough that we don't to even look at a push mower. A battery powered string trimmer does what little trimming is needed.

Rich/WIS
03-07-2022, 12:08 PM
Have a Ferris 52" ZT, this is a commercial mower. Cuts like a champ and except for hydraulic filters is easy to maintain. The hydraulic filters have to be replaced from below and there is not enough clearance to crawl underneath. Have about 1000 hours on it and except for oil changes and blade sharpening has needed no additional work. Suspension is adjustable as well.

My yard here in KY is relatively level but when I lived in WI had some steep ground and had to learn how to work with the slopes.

firefly1957
03-07-2022, 04:34 PM
So many of them are the same I had a Husqvarna for 15 years 21 h.p. 42" cut made for sears the trans went bad kept getting water in the oil then when it heated up oil foamed and I would lose drive even in winter. I bought a 25 H.P. 54" cut John Deere It uses have the gas to mow in less time it is 4 year old now and I have had no problems . The blades on the John Deere are MUCH thicker then the other so I have not bent one yet unlike the other mower. I do worry about the thing they replaced the carburetor with on the John Deere I can not figure out how it works looking at it ....

My son got me a scrapped craftsman mower for me and I put the manual trans from it in my old mower it works real well again I gave it and the snow blower for it to him .

samari46
03-08-2022, 12:43 AM
Have mobility issues so even a string trimmer in some areas isn't an option. Besides I don't bounce off the ground like when I was younger. More like a what the heck happened. Frank

Froogal
03-08-2022, 11:11 AM
Have mobility issues so even a string trimmer in some areas isn't an option. Besides I don't bounce off the ground like when I was younger. More like a what the heck happened. Frank

Wife runs the string trimmer. She doesn't like to run the zero turn. Didn't even like to run the old, rear-engine Snapper.

Gator 45/70
03-08-2022, 08:48 PM
Way things are going and all the high prices we may want to consider a tiller and heirloom seeds, That grass may need to be plowed under?

Froogal
03-09-2022, 09:48 AM
Way things are going and all the high prices we may want to consider a tiller and heirloom seeds, That grass may need to be plowed under?

Or maybe buy some sheep?

Geezer in NH
03-09-2022, 11:55 AM
Goats not sheep they taste better!

Rapier
03-09-2022, 12:22 PM
Suggest a new woman that owns her own mower.
Now that right there will solve both problems.

Froogal
03-09-2022, 05:20 PM
Goats not sheep they taste better!

Yes, but he sheep will eat the grass. Goats mostly just eat flowers and trees. Of course the goats also give milk, so there is that.

funnyjim014
03-12-2022, 09:49 AM
Just remember that up until you get to a big lawn mower most riding mowers bought at home depo, lows etc.... are all the exact same thing with different paint and maybe plastic. All made by MTD

almar
03-12-2022, 10:41 AM
i bought an old refurbished craftsman 17.5 hp with a new starter, new battery, new blade, new tires, new belt and fresh oil change. The chassis is like new, no rust no damage. I got it for 200$. Its does everything. I got a big 12.5 cubic foot steel trailer for it and a driveway grader. Its a reliable workhorse. I was looking into those new ones but the price tag is not worth it in comparison.

Gator 45/70
03-12-2022, 11:30 AM
I'm telling yall had better get the wife a manual push mower, Those spiffy riding mowers drink gas that we can no longer afford.

almar
03-14-2022, 12:16 PM
I'm telling yall had better get the wife a manual push mower, Those spiffy riding mowers drink gas that we can no longer afford.

No one will mow 4 acres of grass with a push mower lol!

Ickisrulz
03-14-2022, 12:33 PM
No one will mow 4 acres of grass with a push mower lol!

That's why America has a weight problem.

almar
03-14-2022, 01:25 PM
That's why America has a weight problem.

No, its because of the high sugar diet...Mowing 4 acres wont help you if you warf down a half gallon of coke a day and eat junk. Mowing 4 acres with a push mower is like cutting down trees with pocket knife.

thxmrgarand
03-14-2022, 01:40 PM
For myself I would buy a well cared-for used one at an estate sale. When I graduated from high school, something then unprecedented in my line, in 1967, to leave home for good at age 17, my folks bought a snowblower, the largest one Simplicity made, a small Wards (or Sears, maybe?) riding lawmower that looked like a tractor, and a color television. I don't know what might have happened to the color television but the snowblower looked and ran like new when I last saw it 4 years ago, and I mowed about an acre with the lawnmower. If you keep these items inside when not in use, change the oil once in a while, and run good gasoline they last forever. And not buying a new one gives an extended middle finger to Red China.

blackthorn
03-15-2022, 12:35 PM
For myself I would buy a well cared-for used one at an estate sale. When I graduated from high school, something then unprecedented in my line, in 1967, to leave home for good at age 17, my folks bought a snowblower, the largest one Simplicity made, a small Wards (or Sears, maybe?) riding lawmower that looked like a tractor, and a color television. I don't know what might have happened to the color television but the snowblower looked and ran like new when I last saw it 4 years ago, and I mowed about an acre with the lawnmower. If you keep these items inside when not in use, change the oil once in a while, and run good gasoline they last forever. And not buying a new one gives an extended middle finger to Red China.

I also left home early(?) at age 17 in 1956. After I left, over the next couple of years, my folks got a TV, a better car and some other previously unaffordable stuff. It was at that point I came to realize just how much those wonderful folks gave up in order to adopt me (at 8 months) and give me the great life I had.

a danl
03-15-2022, 12:37 PM

check out the ones that give the best mileage

Winger Ed.
03-15-2022, 01:32 PM
. After I left, over the next couple of years, my folks got a TV, a better car and some other previously unaffordable stuff..

In the 90s a buddy's kid left home. Not too long after, he bought a suppressed, Class III MAC.
His son was home one time and asked why he hadn't gotten one sooner. My buddy told him,
"After you left home, it was like I got about $1,000 a month raise".

ryanmattes
03-15-2022, 08:42 PM
In the 90s a buddy's kid left home. Not too long after, he bought a suppressed, Class III MAC.
His son was home one time and asked why he hadn't gotten one sooner. My buddy told him,
"After you left home, it was like I got about $1,000 a month raise".I feel that. My youngest graduated last year, all the kids are out (the youngest still lives here, but has a job and pays for his own stuff except rent), and all of a sudden I had money I didn't know what to do with. Well... I mean... I got a new Kimber, an old marlin, a bunch of casting equipment, etc. I knew what to do with it, I just didn't expect to have it.

Between the wife and I we had 5 kids, 3 mine and 2 hers, but I've been raising hers since they were 4 and 6, so they're mine too. My 3 were getting child support for years, and I got a decent raise each time one aged out. Then when the last two graduated and started paying for their own stuff, I was suddenly flush with cash.

Like a moron, I went and started a business, which now eats all my time and money.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

samari46
03-15-2022, 11:58 PM
On the front of the mower deck is a vertical steel plate. Has three holes drilled in it. Last time I had it in the shop. I asked if the holes were for springs to keep the front of the deck higher than the back. I was told no springs needed. Just so happened I found two springs that should fit. So hopefully that should solve the problem. Stay tuned. Frank

barnabus
03-16-2022, 05:56 AM

yea that makes "zero" sense! lol