PDA

View Full Version : "New" TV. Biggest I've ever owned.

Idaho45guy
03-05-2022, 11:06 PM
So, on my return trip back to the Great Northwest from Arizona, I stopped at my sister's farm in Southern Idaho.

Her and her husband decided to upgrade the TV in their theater room since the old one ran too hot. They decided to donate it to the family cabin up in Northern Idaho.

Since I was passing through with a U-Haul trailer, I was volunteered to transport it to my parent's Idaho house and then when the snow melted, me and my brother would take it to the cabin.

I backed the trailer up to my sister's garage and she warned me that the TV was very heavy. That was an understatement!

It's a 60" Panasonic plasma and weighs around 200-250 lbs! It took my brother-in-law, me, my sister, and their 15 yr old son to lift it and get it in the trailer.

I got it home with no issues and my brother showed up to help me unload it. We discussed how massive it was and might not fit in the cabin, then realized that we were the ones that would have to carry it up the steps, which would need reinforced to handle the weight.

Then realized that I had a flat screen TV that was a 50", about the same age, and could be carried by one person. So, we called my sister, then dad, and made sure everyone was OK with me keeping the giant TV and taking my old one to the cabin. Everyone agreed it made more sense and would be fine.

So, I got a giant new TV today!

My brother and I are both over 6' tall, pretty stout, and we struggled to get it up the walk, into my house, then up on my fireplace/entertainment console.

But, it fired right up and the picture is good. About the same quality as mine; just bigger.

I was fine with my smaller TV, but this new one certainly is a bit nicer for my older eyes.

The cabin currently has a 47" projection TV, which is just awful. Horrible picture, sound, and it is the size of a chest freezer. My TV will be a major upgrade.

Winger Ed.
03-05-2022, 11:37 PM
Those things are like having theatre movie screen in the house, but the floor usually isn't as sticky.

Idaho45guy
03-05-2022, 11:58 PM
Those things are like having theatre movie screen in the house, but the floor usually isn't as sticky.

Ha! Usually at my house the floor is not sticky, but not always, lol.

BJK
03-06-2022, 12:16 AM
Big screens are great! Cool! It's like having a theater in your home. Maybe upgrade the sound for a faux theater experience? Our screen is 54" and I put an fairly inexpensive sound bar (used) to it and it changes the experience.

I'm also the guy that will watch TV on his 10" Kindle 18" away from his face for the big screen experience and save juice. So take that into account. It's all a matter of screen size, resolution, and distance.

Idaho45guy
03-06-2022, 12:27 AM
Big screens are great! Cool! It's like having a theater in your home. Maybe upgrade the sound for a faux theater experience? Our screen is 54" and I put an fairly inexpensive sound bar (used) to it and it changes the experience.

I have a decent sound bar and it makes a huge difference. Thinking of buying one for the cabin since my dad is hard of hearing and a good sound bar would make things better for him. Might be a great Father's Day gift.

BJK
03-06-2022, 12:35 AM
I think he'll love it. Do they make soundbars today with plugins for earphones? That might be even better. I know ours doesn't have it. But tech changes fast.

bangerjim
03-06-2022, 01:55 AM
My downstairs TV is a Sony Bravia (several years old) and works 100%. Great sharp picture on the 60+" screen. And not that heavy and very thin.

The sound from its internal speakers is good enough for daily news watching, but I have its HDMI'd to my 75WRMS/channel Panasonic 5.1 Dolby surround receiver (left front/right front/center/left rear/right rear) and a 300W self-powered sub-woofer. Just like...............no..........BETTER sound that any theater! And no sticky floors either! And potty breaks when needed! The surround sound with the sub really makes everything so realistic.

When I crank that baby up............NOBODY sleeps, upstairs or down! :shock: It rattles the windows.

MrWolf
03-06-2022, 05:59 AM
I think he'll love it. Do they make soundbars today with plugins for earphones? That might be even better. I know ours doesn't have it. But tech changes fast.

They make Bluetooth transmitters for tv's. I have one and can hook up one of my cordless headsets to it. Comes in real handy.

Froogal
03-06-2022, 10:55 AM
I have a decent sound bar and it makes a huge difference. Thinking of buying one for the cabin since my dad is hard of hearing and a good sound bar would make things better for him. Might be a great Father's Day gift.

The audio is terrible on those big screen TVs. First thing after getting ours we added a "Polk" sound bar with sub-woofer.

Handloader109
03-06-2022, 03:25 PM
Yep, get a soundbar. Makes all the difference. The deer and elk will enjoy

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

MaryB
03-06-2022, 03:26 PM
My 55" 6 year old TV is glitching out now and then so it is failing. Looking at a 75 inch to replace it! Not a high end 75... 4k UHD, doesn't have as many active backlight zones as the $3,000 version... but it will be sufficient for my viewing(eyes are getting older, I can't detect the diff in pic quality between the two). 75" is abut max fr my viewing distance, I sit back 12 feet from the TV. Have to get a better wall mount for it too(or make one...) because my current mount is only rated to 60 pounds, 75" is almost 80 pounds.

Randy Bohannon
03-06-2022, 07:07 PM
Good choice of programs, Crowder is pretty cool makes great arguments. ‘Change My Mind’ .

Idaho45guy
03-06-2022, 09:10 PM
Good choice of programs, Crowder is pretty cool makes great arguments. ‘Change My Mind’ .

Ahoy! Just started listening to his podcasts and watching his show about a month ago. I am now addicted.

Parson
03-06-2022, 10:05 PM
I am 80 years old and have never owned a TV. My wife has one in her woman’s cave but not me, hate the things, to each his own

jonp
03-07-2022, 08:42 AM
Havn't owned one in over 20yrs but when Im in WalMart I can't get over how big they are but more than that how cheap compared to what we used to pay and how good the picture is

John Guedry
03-07-2022, 09:01 AM
The first color set I saw was about 1953 it had about an 8 inch screen and a $1000 dollar price tag. I don't think the store ever sold it.

MaryB
03-07-2022, 02:25 PM
I was 5 when my parents bought their first color TV, $800 25" console that weighed 300 pounds... took them 6 years to pay for it, you could buy a low mileage used car cheaper at the time. I kept that thing running until 1978... 13 years... 2 picture tubes, umpteen tubes, the yoke on the picture tube finally went bad and was no longer available and I wasn't going to adapt one over. Told them buy a new TV that weighs 1/3 as much.

Ickisrulz
03-07-2022, 02:31 PM
A 60" screen isn't really that big these days. But, to me anyway, it doesn't matter how big your TV is, you get used to the size quickly. My first flat screen TV was 55 inches (a plasma that didn't weight even 60 pounds). When I started using it I couldn't believe the size. Then I got accustomed to it and it seemed to be nothing special. In fact I have a projector that does a 10 foot screen and that doesn't impress me with its size anymore.

BTW...I was surprised how long it took for the non-TV owners to post in this thread. They turn up every time. Just like the people who have never been inside a Walmart or ordered from Amazon.

Multra
03-07-2022, 04:15 PM
I have a 135" projector screen and an absurd number of speakers, the theater experience at home is great, haven't missed going out to the cinema at all.

Ickisrulz
03-07-2022, 05:47 PM
I have a 135" projector screen and an absurd number of speakers, the theater experience at home is great, haven't missed going out to the cinema at all.

All the theaters I have been to locally have the projector image adjusted so it is very dim. Combining that with the sub-par audio systems and high prices for everything, I skip the cinemas and watch stuff in my home theater.

MaryB
03-08-2022, 02:22 PM
A good surround system makes even a 55" class TV seem like the theater! When the bass rumbles the floor...

jonp
03-08-2022, 06:34 PM
A 60" screen isn't really that big these days. But, to me anyway, it doesn't matter how big your TV is, you get used to the size quickly. My first flat screen TV was 55 inches (a plasma that didn't weight even 60 pounds). When I started using it I couldn't believe the size. Then I got accustomed to it and it seemed to be nothing special. In fact I have a projector that does a 10 foot screen and that doesn't impress me with its size anymore.

BTW...I was surprised how long it took for the non-TV owners to post in this thread. They turn up every time. Just like the people who have never been inside a Walmart or ordered from Amazon.

We do turn up but that doesn't mean we are not amazed at what you can get for the money. I saw an 80in for the price i paid for for a top of the line Sony Trinitron. I remember our first color TV. Must have been 1968 or so. First thing in color was the opening to Walt Disney World with the castle and fireworks. How far we have come in so short a time. Shoot, i can clearly see Nixon resigning. Took my dad untold weeks to save up working for the railroad to get that TV. Now someone on welfare can walk into a WalMart and walk out with a flat screen. I worry we have a few generations raised in such wealth they have no idea what its like putting breadbags over their socks to keep their feet dry and run those hand me down boots till they fell apart

Rapier
03-08-2022, 07:10 PM
If you have a home theater setup make sure you have the ground system in to best protect against lightning, nothing will save it from a direct strike. We had a night of 2,000 pounders at 1/4 mile one after the other shaking the house, one strike got a bit too close, fried the flat screen. So we had an expensive week. Ours lasted 5 years, interesting was a the price difference on the high end electronics, plus the weight.
I would smile but I am floating, trying not o hold on to something, due to weight loss in the wallet.

facetious
03-08-2022, 07:33 PM
https://www.instructables.com/Giant-Fresnel-Lens-Deathray-An-Experiment-in-Opti/

something to use your projector tv for.

https://imadeself.com/en/6962-solnechnaya-pech-iz-linzy-frenelya.html

this looks like fun.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=APq-WBta-yKACDg0FLEbSKkyMzHIBxK06w:1646781566746&q=fresnel+furnace&tbm=isch&chips=q:fresnel+furnace,online_chips:solar+furnace :XKCRpCdIJGY%3D&usg=AI4_-kRD5cMShZY2PA6QdxYIYG9bFsWWow&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiIlbuy07f2AhVWAZ0JHVOIDcoQgIoDKAF6BAglE A4&biw=1093&bih=500&dpr=1.25

some more stuff.

MaryB
03-09-2022, 01:41 PM
https://www.instructables.com/Giant-Fresnel-Lens-Deathray-An-Experiment-in-Opti/

something to use your projector tv for.

https://imadeself.com/en/6962-solnechnaya-pech-iz-linzy-frenelya.html

this looks like fun.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=APq-WBta-yKACDg0FLEbSKkyMzHIBxK06w:1646781566746&q=fresnel+furnace&tbm=isch&chips=q:fresnel+furnace,online_chips:solar+furnace :XKCRpCdIJGY%3D&usg=AI4_-kRD5cMShZY2PA6QdxYIYG9bFsWWow&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiIlbuy07f2AhVWAZ0JHVOIDcoQgIoDKAF6BAglE A4&biw=1093&bih=500&dpr=1.25

some more stuff.

They make a good solar cooker but you need tracking electronics to keep it aimed at the sun. There are simple solar trackers out there that would do the trick.