PDA

View Full Version : Fun afternoon plinking

Texas by God
03-05-2022, 09:32 PM
My wife and I were able to sneak off to the lease this weekend. Down by the river, we sat on the cliff and shot sticks, rocks, and even a carp in the water.
The 22/45 and Wrangler Rugers did very well.
The 9mm Hi-Point was rocking along great but hung up on a bad cartridge- so went back in the bag. A cleaning rod knocked it out back at camp.
My wife's m67 S&W was brilliant as usual but it has a problem as well. The locking bolt isn't dropping correctly every time. To the bench later.
Cousin's Canik 9mm race gun is amazing- and good for carp.
My S&W Shield 40 surprised me with its accuracy.
But my 44-40 Topper with the Burris FF3 stole the show. All three of us were hitting called targets out to 100yds or so where the 240gr swc were a bit low.
A good time was had by all.
The .22s and 9mm used factory ammo; everything else used cast reloads!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

alfadan
03-05-2022, 10:36 PM
Some of my best memories were with dad and I shooting at sticks and leaves on the river at a friends place. If you shoot just below a stick, it'd fly up in the air. Good times.

Thumbcocker
03-06-2022, 09:47 AM
Inanimate reactive targets at various ranges are great fun and, IMHO, make one a better field marksman. There is a lot more to shooting than holes in paper. Sounds like a great time.

charlie b
03-06-2022, 02:20 PM
Some of my best memories were with dad and I shooting at sticks and leaves on the river at a friends place. If you shoot just below a stick, it'd fly up in the air. Good times.

There is a lot to field shooting. Shooting low rather than high is one of the things that helps. If you miss low at least you have a chance to see the bullet impact, and/or the ricochet will bounce and hit the target anyway. Even back when shooting tanks we preferred a low shot over a high miss.

dverna
03-06-2022, 03:48 PM
Sounds like you and the wife had a blast. Nice assortment of “tools” too.

Murphy
03-06-2022, 06:12 PM
It's good to see someone getting out still shooting now and then! These past 2 years have been hard on we shooters who enjoy just bustin' tin can's and such. Of course the whole mess this past 2 years has kept a lot of people from shooting, and that's understandable. What's been hard, is seeing people who are just sitting on their ammunition supply and haven't fired a shot in over 18 months or more. I can't say as I blame them, not all of us were in the same position when the panic(s) hit.

Nothing like good ole' trigger therapy! It can be as few as 20 rounds, or if it makes you happy and you've got it, then shoot 200 if that's what you want to do. The vast majority of us joined this site because we enjoy firearms and shooting them.

Good post Texas by God.

Murphy

waksupi
03-07-2022, 01:02 PM
I've been shooting the local military and sporting rifle matches this winter, along with our regular muzzle loader shoots. It was sporting rifles yesterday, and couldn't hit my ass with both hands and a road map. Just one of those days!