PDA

View Full Version : New grips for the 1911.

Idaho45guy
03-05-2022, 12:12 AM
Stopped in Twin Falls, ID on my way back from Yuma, AZ and stopped at a couple of gun shops looking for primers, powder, or bullets. One shop had some Accurate #5 that I almost bought at $38 a pound, but have never used it and thought that #7 was better for my 10mm loads.

Anyways, I saw a large display of dozens of custom 1911 grips made by a local company called Herrett's Stocks.

I saw a pair of cocobolo grips that were just stunning. $55 seemed like a lot, but they were just so beautiful and wanted to support a local company.

Put them on my Colt 1911 and they fit perfectly and really are stunning...

megasupermagnum
03-05-2022, 12:22 AM
$55 for Herrett's is a steal. I think the lowest I ever paid was $125, but that was brand new, custom for my hand. I'm not aware of a better grip maker. I should call them and see if now that they restarted the company, they will make custom Ruger grips.

Winger Ed.
03-05-2022, 01:20 AM
Wow.

They remind me:
Whenever I'd come home with something like that, My Dad would look at it, ponder for a minute,
and say, "That's too nice for you. Take it back".

rondog
03-05-2022, 03:11 AM
This lady makes some awesome grips for many different handguns. Not cheap though....

https://esmeralda.cc/

Idaho45guy
03-05-2022, 03:37 AM
Wow.

They remind me:
Whenever I'd come home with something like that, My Dad would look at it, ponder for a minute,
and say, "That's too nice for you. Take it back".

Ha!

T-Bird
03-05-2022, 08:54 AM
those look great!

RJM52
03-05-2022, 09:43 AM
Herrett's has always made beautiful stocks for all kinds of handguns...

Was at the factory last May and ordered several sets of their Detective stocks for some S&W N-frame .41s...they just fit my hand better than anything else...

Bob

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/gallery/80/full/168969.jpg

cupajoe
03-05-2022, 10:35 AM
Very nice, Barbeque gun quality for sure.

T-Bird
03-07-2022, 10:01 AM
Is a "barbeque" gun a gun you'd take to a barbeque? never heard that expression.

contender1
03-07-2022, 10:39 AM
VERY, very nice looking grips there!

Herrett has been making top quality grips for a long time. And they are reasonably priced.

mega; I've found a custom grip maker (Zane Thompson) who owns "Lone Star Custom Grips" many years ago. He makes some stunningly beautiful grips for 1911's, and Ruger SA's. I just sent him a set of stabilized Dall sheep blanks to make into a set of grips for a donation to the Ruger Owners & Collectors Society fundraiser in July in Ohio. So, if you are looking for some truly great looking grips,, and yes,, "barbecue" type or even a working man's set of grips,, check his stuff out. He goes by lscg on some forums.

T-bird; A "barbecue gun" term comes from the way many decades ago,, when folks would gather for a "dress up social" usually a BBQ in Texas,, they'd wear their fanciest gun & holster set-up. It has become an adopted term to describe a fancy gun set-up worn to special events, all over the country.

megasupermagnum
03-07-2022, 09:04 PM
VERY, very nice looking grips there!

Herrett has been making top quality grips for a long time. And they are reasonably priced.

mega; I've found a custom grip maker (Zane Thompson) who owns "Lone Star Custom Grips" many years ago. He makes some stunningly beautiful grips for 1911's, and Ruger SA's. I just sent him a set of stabilized Dall sheep blanks to make into a set of grips for a donation to the Ruger Owners & Collectors Society fundraiser in July in Ohio. So, if you are looking for some truly great looking grips,, and yes,, "barbecue" type or even a working man's set of grips,, check his stuff out. He goes by lscg on some forums.

T-bird; A "barbecue gun" term comes from the way many decades ago,, when folks would gather for a "dress up social" usually a BBQ in Texas,, they'd wear their fanciest gun & holster set-up. It has become an adopted term to describe a fancy gun set-up worn to special events, all over the country.

I did find Lone Star Custom Grips. They made me one for my SP101. It's very high quality, but also twice the price of Herretts, and I still think the Herrett's are better.

lawdog941
03-08-2022, 08:17 AM
Very nice!

T-Bird
03-08-2022, 10:35 AM
makes sense. I guess we're behind down here in Ala:) I'm 68, have been around guns, hunting, shooting all my life and I've never heard it. We have barbeques too, maybe we just don't wear guns to them often enough! I may adopt it and spread the news! This reminds me of watching TV cooking shows and for the last few years, I saw people eating "the quintessentially southern" dish chicken and waffles. I've lived in the deep south all my life and had never heard of it, never seen it on a menu, nothing. I asked others if they had heard of it and no one had either. Later found out it originated in Harlem. (not exactly southern:D).

Der Gebirgsjager
03-08-2022, 12:13 PM
Walnut for me. Mostly. Usually. Uh..sometimes.
297319 297320 297321

DG

GOPHER SLAYER
03-08-2022, 05:06 PM
I was taking apart an office chair to get the large adjustment screw to make a rifle rest. I found these four pieces of walnut in the base. They were put there to hide the metal parts of the adjustment. I thought they would make nice grips for my" 1911. It would have taken little effort since the contour is already there. Before I could even start on the project, I was going thru a gun show and saw the pair of grips you see on my' 1911. I asked how much, the man said $7.00. What's to think about. These were already checkered. They walnut pieces are as I found them. I stopped by Buckshot's house one day and saw the zebra wood grips you see on my S&W were laying in the trash. Of course, they came home with me.

Norske
03-16-2022, 09:08 PM
Lyman has had a decent selection of grips since buying Pachmayer years ago.

45workhorse
03-16-2022, 09:54 PM
Pudry wood, on a Purdy gun.

(Careful with the barb b que, might get on the gun.)

rockshooter
03-16-2022, 10:03 PM
Several years ago I stopped at Herrets and asked to go thru their junk box of mismatched grips. I bought several pair and really like them! At gun shows here in Idaho they're fairly common and easy to spot.
Loren

megasupermagnum
03-17-2022, 06:38 PM
Lyman has had a decent selection of grips since buying Pachmayer years ago.

Years ago? Wasn't it like 50 years ago?:grin:

I like the Pachmayer presentation grips a lot. It's sad that Lyman is offering them in less and less models every year. They only offer them in a S&W K&L frame, a Ruger Redhawk, and a Ruger blackhawk. You can't even get them for an N frame anymore.

Tazman1602
03-17-2022, 07:15 PM
$55 for Herrets is a steal

Art