PDA

View Full Version : 9MM-Dillon Powder Measure Neck Expander vs. "M" Neck Expander for Dilon

primerhead
03-04-2022, 03:23 PM
Hello Friends:

I understand there is an aftermarket "M" neck expander die available
for Dillon powder measurers. Has anyone used this replacement?
If so, please advise.

Aftermarket expander, according to mfg. is not recommended
for polymer bullets.

Are the use of Lyman "M" dies not recommended for polymer coated pistol bullets?

Thank for your inputs.
primerhead

NuJudge
03-04-2022, 03:32 PM
I use the PhotoEscape system with Dillon measures in .32 S&W-L and .45 acp and like it a lot. He does offer it in 9mm also:
https://www.photoescapeinc.com/products/9htc-ptu.html
I have his tools for 9mm and .38, I just have not used them yet.

Once upon a time, I cast all cast bullets as hard as I could, and wanted lots of neck tension. That worked fine for me. I am trying something different with the PhotoEscape "M"-type expander: I am using mostly swaged bullets, very soft, and I try to have the neck expanded only down to where the base of the bullet will be, and neck tension is low enough that the bullet pushes in almost all the way with finger pressure. With a higher neck tension, these soft bullets would be swaged down by high neck tension.

Make sure you know what your groove diameter is. Most of my 9mm pistols are Walther, Beretta and FN, and their groove diameters are well bigger than what the book says they should be.

I have no experience with coated bullets

NuJudge
03-05-2022, 06:57 PM
I was just reading the latest Handloader magazine, and they have a advertisement from Lous Gun Work for custom M dies for Dillon presses. They list the website www.LousGunWork.com

oley55
03-05-2022, 07:32 PM
Your Mr.BulletfeederŽ is supplied with a newly designed and improved powder funnel for Dillon. The powder funnel is a very important component of a bullet feeder of any kind, as it prepares the brass correctly so that the bullet can be seated in the case, and not tip over as you index the shell plate. To achieve this, we have redesigned the powder funnel to allow for just the right amount of expansion, without over flaring or stressing your brass.

Please note: One powder funnel in the caliber of your choice is already included with your Mr.Bulletfeeder by Double-Alpha (Hornady powder funnels are also available here). These, so you do not need to buy an additional one, unless you want to use it on a second powder dropper.

The expanding powder funnel supplied is for the Dillon reloading machines only. Not compatible with other brands. To use with the LnL press, you will need to purchase their expanding powder funnel separately.

https://www.doublealpha.biz/us/mr-bulletfeeder-powder-funnel

Not exactly custom but may serve your purposes. I have looked at them many times but never bought since I'm still clunking along with my 1980's RL450s.

jsizemore
03-05-2022, 08:35 PM
I had Lathesmith make me one to my specs. He sent it at my request a little long and wide. Careful work with emery cloth and lapping compound got it to just right for my guns.

primerhead
03-08-2022, 12:56 PM
Hello Friends:

Thanks for taking time to offer your suggestions.
After reviewing the posts I went with the PhotoEscape system.

Reason being I liked their design.

primerhead