PDA

View Full Version : Leading and powder choice

BuckRimfire
03-03-2022, 04:35 PM
Sorry for a question that's doubtless been asked seventy gazillion times. A few years ago (between ammo panics) I bought* some 429421 and 429667 cast boolits. My notes are imperfect, but I think I had fairly good luck with the 429421 (although my memory may be untrustworthy). However, the only time I loaded the 429667 over a goodly bit of Blue Dot, leading was fierce.

I still have quite a few of the 667s, so I'd like to use them. OTOH, primers are scarce enough these days that I don't want to shoot a huge number of rounds randomly trying different loads. Powders I have a fair amount of are Trail Boss, Titegroup, HP-38, Power Pistol, Longshot, H110 and IMR4227. I'm definitely not going to try H110. Among the others, any that seem likely to be well-behaved, or should I assume that the root of my problems may lie elsewhere?

edit: shooting these in a 7.5" Ruger Redhawk

*Sorry about that. I have a lead pot, some lead and a couple of cheap molds, but I haven't actually cast any myself, yet.

megasupermagnum
03-03-2022, 04:47 PM
I've had good luck with all powders, but especially Bluedot. That's one of the best ones out there for cast bullet pistols. Chances are your bullets are undersized for your gun, and commercial bullets generally have lesser quality lubes. An often suggested remedy is to give them a coat in Alox tumble lube. You can't do much about the size issue, but make sure your brass isn't making it worse. Pull a loaded bullet and make sure they are the same size as they start as.

I'm going to assume this is in 44 magnum. My Redhawk is best with .431" bullets. I've had good luck with Bluedot on the high end, but one of my favorites is 13 grains with the 429421. It does about 1225 fps from my 5.5" barrel, and isn't so brutal as they are at 17 grains.