PDA

View Full Version : Back from the dead

farmerjim
03-03-2022, 12:13 PM
I am back.
I had major back surgery Nov 2, Was fine the next morning walking with no pain. Nov 7 I went to have the staples in my back removed. I told the doctor that I was having quite a lot of pain. He said that in just some adjusting. The next day I was on heavy narcotics to endure the pain. ( The day after this and till Feb 4 I have no memory of anything. I only know what my wife tells me. All I could do is scream in pain till I got too hoarse to scream. They kept me in the hospital in a semi coma on many drugs for a couple of weeks. I had a second back surgery because one of the screws was backing out) They then wanted to send me to hospice to die. My wife fought with everything she had and convinced the doctor to get me off the drugs and into another rehab. She threatened the doctors with everything she could imagine if they didn't. She was by my side every day. I had lost 47 pounds before I got to the last facility and could not walk or stand. My wife would talk to me all day and ask me questions lik what day is this , what town are we in, and who am I (I answered this with my first wife's name (she did not take offense at this) The 4th day there all of a sudden the light switch came on and I remembered all my life except for the time on all the drugs. ( Thank God I have no memory of those days) They started me on rehab and after several days I could use a walker to go about 30 feet. I did heavy rehab every weekday for the next 3 weeks and am now at home. I still need a walker and will need months more rehab. I have some nerve damage in my right foot from the screw ( they took a month before they did the second surgery even though they knew of the problem well before then) But I have a brace to help keep my foot from dropping. All of my friends and neighbors have helped my wife and me with everything we need. By the grace of God I am back, and hope to be around for a long time.

Bazoo
03-03-2022, 12:18 PM
I will keep you in prayer. Glad it’s looking better for you.

jgstrug
03-03-2022, 12:30 PM
Wow,so good to hear that you're doing so much better and thank you for sharing your horrible experiences. Though part of it is truly horrible,bright spots shine through. Your loving wife being such a good advocate for your care and God being the two stand outs. Your attitude is inspiring and the whole thing makes us all take our physical health more seriously,I have some arthritis in my lower spine from so many years of heavy equipment repair work,much of which included improper lifting. Praying for Your nearly full recovery,for your family and all three types of health.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

lightman
03-03-2022, 12:49 PM
Man, it sounds like you been through the ringer! Glad you're back and hope you continue to improve.

BJK
03-03-2022, 01:11 PM
WOW! That's quite a story! But with hard work and GODs help you should do fine.

Nueces
03-03-2022, 01:30 PM
Gad, what an ordeal. Mucho props to you for powering through it and to your wife for hanging with you. Y'all are a good team.

Smoke4320
03-03-2022, 01:43 PM
Prayers for a full and speedy recovery

square butte
03-03-2022, 02:03 PM
The Good Lord (and your courages Wife) is watching over you - I have heard far too many stories of an overzealous and heavy handed Hospice organization lately. I will pray for you and your wife

Silvercreek Farmer
03-03-2022, 02:53 PM
Welcome back!

jakharath
03-03-2022, 02:57 PM
Glad you are back!

clum553946
03-03-2022, 04:04 PM
Glad that you’re on the road to get better & kudos to your wife, she is a real trooper! Sounds like your original medical team left a lot to be desired.

Texas by God
03-03-2022, 04:44 PM
Keep on keeping on- your earth dwelling guardian angel has your back. I know that feeling well.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

buckwheatpaul
03-03-2022, 05:13 PM
Wow farmerjim. I am so glad that you are getting better! It sounds like quite an ordeal and I to will offer up prayers for healing and comfort. Please keep us informed....

Father, You are the Great Healer and You know the ordeal that farmerjim has gone through. Please give him comfort, freedom from pain, and healing so that he can return to his wife, his family, and his friends. Thank You for sending his friends to help while farmerjim was out of action. AMEN

Murphy
03-03-2022, 05:18 PM
I've managed to have 2 backs surgeries down through the years. The last one was 20+ years ago. Thank the Lord it's holding good. Sounds like you've sure been through a rough one my friend. Your wife is truly an exceptional lady.

Murphy

jim 44-40
03-03-2022, 05:18 PM
Welcome home,hope you feel better,take it easy

03-03-2022, 05:37 PM
That's awful. Hoping for a good recovery. You have a good woman there and are blessed. God's speed.

farmbif
03-03-2022, 05:52 PM
glad you're recovering. ive been down those roads, I was a hospice patient, I'm a survivor of that. I can relate with my own experience. if you can do the therapy and exercises its a struggle but can be big help. I know for me every day is a struggle and coming to grips with realization that there's lots of things I want to do but every day live with fact I can only do what I can when I can. medications are a double edged sword and if you can get along with industrial size containers of over the counter stuff your better off.

rondog
03-03-2022, 06:39 PM
Criminy! What kind of surgery did you have?? I've had four lumbar surgeries, three of them involved an 8" incision in the same place, just cut the scar open again. 4th was "minimally invasive" (arthroscopic). None of them were especially painful or debilitating, I bounced back surprisingly fast from them.

bangerjim
03-03-2022, 06:46 PM
What a story! The human body is amazing what it can recover & heal from, given enough time.

Glad you are on the mend, even though that road ahead may be bumpy at times.

Amazing things like what you went through do happen. My sister-in-law went thru brain surgery and double heart valve replacement almost at the same time, because she could not survive without either organ functioning. She had to totally re-learn everything (walking, talking, eating.....everything!) Now 2 years later she is perfectly normal. They almost gave up on her and thought about hospice. Her family said NO.

God Bless you and yours.

Rapier
03-03-2022, 07:12 PM
Nothing like a back surgery gone through the curve, right into the ditch. Hope you have a great recovery now. Good luck on the toe lift nerve damage for a full recovery. My left leg, toe lift, is permanent, is a constant careful walk or stairs climb thing. With practice and constant rehab, it can be overcome, with your intent. It does take practice. The sole of my left shoe shows wear under the toe, drag. I just overcome, with practice, and good teeth, grit teeth and spit. Uneven ground, well, watch your step on the farm……:-) Best!

popper
03-03-2022, 09:14 PM
Glad you're back. One of her BIL had similar problem, seems drop foot is a common result. Says his braces work good but he still has to be careful walking.
Her other BIL has been in and out since Halloween. Hip problem, got fixed went home. Then went to hosp month ago, going to get toe cut off, nope, leg below calf, nope that didn't work cut above the knee. Went to rehab today, still not completely aware of what happened, SIL is worn out and couldn't get answers from staff through the entire ordeal.

GhostHawk
03-03-2022, 10:19 PM
In my wifes case it was a very similar situation only in her case she got sepsis, 102 to 105 fever, we almost lost her. She spent 10 days in hospital and 6 weeks in rehab on IV antibiotics. It has taken her almost 2 years to recover.

Hang in there!

xs11jack
03-04-2022, 12:05 AM
Jim you have a God given partner in the woman that pulled you through the obstacles put in your way. I am praying for you both. God's blessings on you both.
Ole Jack

Wayne Smith
03-04-2022, 08:50 AM
I'm glad she held on to you. Your wife literally pulled you through. Now you have the hard rehab work to do but I believe you've been there before. I'll be praying for you.

MrWolf
03-04-2022, 09:24 AM
Wow. I can relate to the screaming in pain with back issues but damn man, you had it rough. Glad you have a loving wife who stood by you and protected you. Very lucky. Hope everything works out. Prayers sent,.
Ron

toot
03-04-2022, 09:37 AM
Welcome back!

bedbugbilly
03-04-2022, 10:22 AM
You and your wife are in our prayers farmers . . . you hang in there and get better. We went through something similar with my mother-in-law a number of years ago . . . . thank the Lord your wife ws with you through this and could act as your advocate . . . .

Markopolo
03-04-2022, 10:39 AM
Prayers sent.. I have been there…

farmerjim
03-04-2022, 11:23 AM
Criminy! What kind of surgery did you have?? I've had four lumbar surgeries, three of them involved an 8" incision in the same place, just cut the scar open again. 4th was "minimally invasive" (arthroscopic). None of them were especially painful or debilitating, I bounced back surprisingly fast from them.

T1 to S1 fused or caged. C3 is also fused.
I came out of the surgery fine the next morning. It was one of the screws backing out and the delay of close to a month before it was replaced that caused the problem.
I blame the surgeon for all the problems.

Dekota56
03-04-2022, 11:25 AM
Welcome back. My family will keep you in our prayers.

farmerjim
03-04-2022, 11:25 AM
In my wifes case it was a very similar situation only in her case she got sepsis, 102 to 105 fever, we almost lost her. She spent 10 days in hospital and 6 weeks in rehab on IV antibiotics. It has taken her almost 2 years to recover.

Hang in there!

I also had a staph infection. One month on antibotics.

gwpercle
03-04-2022, 12:00 PM
Thank the Good Lord and your Good Wife !
Praying for your full recovery .

Gary

Cosmic_Charlie
03-04-2022, 01:23 PM
You really don't want to be hospitalized without a savy and trustworthy advocate. I have one in my wife. RN for nearly 40 years, ICU and ER trained.
Glad you made it out alive!

Wis Tom
03-04-2022, 02:06 PM
You are truly blessed, for your help-mate, your wife, that God had appointed, to be with you. Praying for you and your wife.

David2011
03-05-2022, 03:59 AM
Bless you and your amazing wife!

Hickok
03-05-2022, 10:20 AM
Jim, prayers for a complete recovery!