PDA

View Full Version : Do you name your guns?

theperfessor
01-20-2009, 07:28 PM
This may seem like a stupid question, but do you name any of your guns? And if so, what prompted you to do so and why?

For example, I have a plain old S&W model 10 .38 that my niece (who had never shot a handgun before) really enjoyed shooting the last time her and her husband were in town for a visit. I now call this gun "Lady Jessica" and when the Lady and I go out for an afternoon we have a lot of fun.

FISH4BUGS
01-20-2009, 08:18 PM
...........no.

klausg
01-20-2009, 09:00 PM
I've got an 1100 that is referred to as a "@#$%^&! ***" when I blow an O-ring; does that count?

-Klaus

DeanoBeanCounter
01-20-2009, 09:16 PM
I've got a 300 Win Mag. I call it my cannon. Try to guess why.
Dean

Bret4207
01-20-2009, 09:20 PM
No, never, not in my wildest dreams.

clodhopper
01-20-2009, 09:27 PM
I don't know about named, but I have titled my .35 whelen the whelenator. Whenever I shoot an animal they suddenly become wheleniated,suddenly loose track of the herd, and lay down and forget about their troubles.
Then there is algore, it's a 10-22, stained the stock green stipled it with center punch, painted the metal camo olive drab and tan. It's green, wooden, and ugly.
The rest of them are mostly referred to as either model or caliber.

tommag
01-20-2009, 09:31 PM
I named my 96 swede Inge (my long tall swede) Inge is a good girl who always does what I ask her to.
I have an abortion of a muzzle-loader project that has a .72 rifled bbl. I named her Rosie because she has a big mouth and is ugly as all get out.

dhain
01-20-2009, 11:06 PM
No way.

NSP64
01-21-2009, 12:59 AM
I built a 44mag hand cannon the kids call frankengun:)

The Nyack Kid
01-21-2009, 01:33 AM
Well , I might have a few , that have pet names .
There is Kim or Kimmie , my sweet little Gold Match 45 auto .

Then there is " The Japchester" which is easier to say than " the-Miroku-made-winchester-1886-extra-lite-45-70-that-I-paid-$714-for!" I can't even pronounce Miroku with-out looking at the barrel stamp.

And "short Maggie" that one is a wild guess .

mtgrs737
01-21-2009, 01:56 AM
I have a combat modded Colt government model in 45 cal. that is my house gun, I call her "Betsy", we go a long way back together. When I rack her slide in the dark, the bad guys better take notice. There is comfort in familiar things.

oksmle
01-21-2009, 02:09 AM
Each of mine has been referred to as that "S.O.B." on occassion.

oksmle

Three44s
01-21-2009, 02:19 AM
Mom named some of mine .......... LOL!

She really liked my .44 mag Redhawk ...... called it BIG BILL!

When I would grab my Mountain Gun to check on a burgler alarm on another part of the ranch ...... she would grimace and suggest BIG BILL!

Trying to convince her that a 4" barreled .44 was better in a fire fight than a 7.5" er ..... was futile ........

My wife is of the opposite thinking ...... better an 870 Rem or the beloved Garrand!

Three 44s

shotman
01-21-2009, 03:01 AM
If I did I couldnt remember them

SCIBUL
01-21-2009, 04:03 AM
Nooooooo !
My hairs are definitively too shorts and "Lucrèce Borgia" for my 45-70 seems to me a bit "conceited" no ?
I have a "japchester" like said The Nyack Kid and in french MIROKU would be traduced as "aim on butt"... So I will call mine japchester now :roll:

Crash_Corrigan
01-21-2009, 05:16 AM
I named my Motorcycle {2007 Triumph Speedmaster} "Clyde" cuz he is heavy duty in all respects and broke my leg when we spilled on 12/12. Same thing happend many years ago when a football teamate dropped onto my leg and sprained the ankle pretty badly. His name was "Clyde" also.

I never gave a monicker to a gun until today. I had just gotten a new rifle rest and rear bag for my custom 6.5 x 55 MM Sweede and I had set up the rest and the rifle upon it when my ex stated "You don't like the rifle too much..do you?"
I replied "The Safe Queen need to go to bed now so don't piss her off she will keep me up all night complaining about you."

She almost fell off the couch laughing that I gave a name to the rifle.

I defended my sweetie by stating that I got a real kick out of taking a 1924 BRNO Czech Mauser rifle that cost me a grand $109.95 at Big 5 Sporting goods and using the receiver and trigger, adding a Douglas Match Heavy Barrel, New Thumbhole Laminated stock, New Beuhler safety, having chamber reamed and cut for 6.5 MM and boltface worked over, bolt jeweled, floorplate welded and ground, total rebluing, barrel Target Crowned and post installed for swivele. My gunnie also mounted my 6.5 x 20 Power Scope w 50MM Obj lens and AO on a very decent Leupold set of mounts.

My first efforts off sandbags with 160 LRN boolits w gc grouped a less than an inch at 50 yds on a very windy day.

This one is a keeper. I have never spent anything close to over $700 for any weapon but this one is really special. I now have about double that invested in this "Safe Queen" but I think I need a better name for it.

Then of course another shooter on the line came over to admire it. He was shooting some new reloaded rounds in his Garand. I shot his. He shot mine.

We had mutual admiration society going one here. I ran throu a couple of clips of 150 GR J Word bullets at the 300 yd target and everything jelled and every shot was rewarded with a loud clang from the steel targe. I was having a ball.

He ran about a dozen of my handloads and he liked the low recoil, noise and excllent accuracy and smooth action and the decent scope. His groups were very respectable but my ammo was gone.

I ended up coming back the next day to the range and he brough a 1954 Vintage M-1 Garand with a 5 million serial number. It seemd to be in excellent shape and I ran a few clips thru this one at 300 and 440 yds with excellent results. He showed me how to avoid the infamous Garand thumb and showed me how to break down the rifle and it followed me home.

End result I now have two rifles which cost more than $700 bucks....I do not anticipate any more rifle purchases in the near future as I have a .22LR, .223, 6.5 x 55 MM, 30-30, .303, Garand and a Norinco 12 Gauge Trench Shotgun.

A 7.62 x 39 in a CZ FS Carbine, a decent Moisen Nagant, Enfield P 17 and a 03A3 would round out WWII collection if I pick up a Arisaka, However to store these new toys I will need another safe. Just dreaming.

Is there an end to this sickness?

Jim
01-21-2009, 06:36 AM
Everything I have came out of the gunshop ALREADY named. Remington, Winchester, Ruger, Colt........

Boerrancher
01-21-2009, 09:06 AM
Never give it much thought other than *&%$((*^&$#@ for a few of them.

Best wishes form the Boer Ranch,

Joe

clintsfolly
01-21-2009, 10:36 AM
my best bud named my rem700 280 Meatstick the muzzleloader my bother and i made is Homegrown the new project gun a 450 marlin on 110savage for cast boolits was named Meatmasher having fun clint ps my buddie has a rem 742 we named Blindeye my brothers rem 721 300h+h is Skudlauncher

MT Gianni
01-21-2009, 10:43 AM
My son called my Ruger mark1 22 auto "Sweetness" when he was 11 or 12. That is the only one that has stuck. A wise friend commented once that no matter the pedigree, or how long the name many dogs seem to be called the same thing on the opening day of pheasant season. I don't name mine, I moght end up trying to sell a gun in Billings with "Crowkiller" on the side of the stock and that would not go over well, I'd have to take it to G. Falls.

Old Ironsights
01-21-2009, 10:45 AM
No. Guns are Tools, and I don't name my Hacksaw.

Besides, Naming a Gun plays into the Anti-Gunner stereotype of gun owners as lifeless losers with Freudian issues.

rockrat
01-21-2009, 10:48 AM
Only my 50 bmg bolt gun. "Baby". And yes, I do shoot cast thru it.!!

BPCR Bill
01-21-2009, 10:54 AM
Just my M70 375 H&H. The first game animal I took with it, a Wyoming Elk, was shot at nearly 500 yards. It dropped like it was hit in the head with a hammer. Ergo, "Thors' Hammer". Other than that, nope. They're all just pretty good shooters.

Regards,
Bill

lreed
01-21-2009, 11:46 AM
This'un,That'un and the Other'uns. Then I start over,keeps it simple that way.

lreed

Jbar4Ranch
01-21-2009, 12:21 PM
My AR50 is Víðarr (Vidar in English). He is the son of the Norse gods Odin and Gridr, and is himself the Norse god of silence and revenge.

Then there's Heinz, a 3 1/2" Uberti sheriff's model .45 put together out of various parts I've picked up over the years.

waksupi
01-21-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm with Old Ironsights.

felix
01-21-2009, 12:33 PM
No, a gun is just that, a gun. Named by caliber and type, and then brand when a conflict arises. The only thing that ever had a real name was a Pinto I had hopped up with a V8. The name of the car changed from Pint-Oh, to El-Quart-Oh by my neighbor, and the name stuck for a few years until the car was traded for a TransAm. ... felix

VintageRifle
01-21-2009, 12:55 PM
I have what was a really rusty K31. It is named "Rusty".

When my wife shot her first rifle, I handed her a CVA Eclipse Muzzleloader with a 255gr bullet over 150gr of Pyrodex Pellets. Lets just say she said "Oh F%#@". Well, that one is nicknamed the same two words.

madsenshooter
01-21-2009, 01:03 PM
Let's see, there's Orcist, my Garand, Foe Hammer, my Madsen 58, Sleek is one of my Krags, the other 5 as yet not named, and Sweetshooter, my K31. The various other rifles, mostly Arisakas haven't been named yet.

JSnover
01-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Nope. They already got names, stamped into the barrel or action somewhere.

dromia
01-21-2009, 01:19 PM
They've got names already, see no need to call them other than that,

e.g. 1913 BSA SMLE No 1 MK111.

If I need to be more specific then they've got serial numbers.

lunicy
01-21-2009, 03:56 PM
Well, My mossberg is named Mossy. Does that count. Other than that, no. They are called by manufaturer or caliber. (Sometimes when I call them they come to my like a faithful horse)

My BIL calls my BP pistol a pirate gun.

AzShooter
01-22-2009, 01:39 PM
I only name my Mosins.

Betty has a beautiful red stock, Veronica is a blonde and Stasha is my sniper.

None of my others have quite made it to name giving yet.

BD
01-22-2009, 03:04 PM
I don't name them, but I do refer to them by other than their model number and bore diameter. I call the 16 guage M12 Winchester I've hunted with since I was 12, "the shotgun". I call my .270 WBY, "the Weatherby". I call my Bushmaster DCM "the black rifle" (that was started by my wife). I call the cut down swede which is pillar bedded into a cheapo ramline stock and wears a leupold scout scope, "the ugly gun". And I have the "big Kimber", and the "little Kimber" and so on.

I don't think I've ever said, "I think it's time to clean the 'Winchester model 12 in 16 guage' now that bird season is over".

BD

Heavy lead
01-22-2009, 03:08 PM
It's either the accurate some b%^$&, or the ***, whichever tells the story of the day for the whole lot of them.

C1PNR
01-22-2009, 04:04 PM
I was about to say no, but then remembered the Siamese Mauser I bought Loooonnnnggggg ago and had converted to 45-70.

Back in them days I had even less $$ than I have now so the barrel wasn't polished or blued, and no money for new wood so the original stock was just cut off and hogged out for the larger diameter barrel. About the only thing I could afford was a receiver sight.

When I showed it to my Brother, he asked me what it was and I said it reminded me of a "War Club" and the name stuck.8-)

Houndog
01-23-2009, 06:36 PM
I've got 3 rifles named. My M40A1 is named Maude because it's named after the meanest street ***** I ever knew and Uncle Sam MADE us name them. My 2 benchrest rifles are named the Black Bit.. and ol Red. The rest are just described by caliber.

wills
01-23-2009, 06:41 PM
I've got 3 rifles named. My M40A1 is named Maude because it's named after the meanest street ***** I ever knew and Uncle Sam MADE us name them. My 2 benchrest rifles are named the Black Bit.. and ol Red. The rest are just described by caliber.

So you know a LOT of street whores?

13Echo
01-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Only one. The 1868, 50-70 Springfield is Thumper. Otherwise it's the Mauser or the .257, or etc.

Well you might count the artillery pieces when I was a redleg, but I didn't really own them.

Jerry Liles