PDA

View Full Version : What are they?

Michael J. Spangler
02-28-2022, 06:49 PM
Buddy scored some old moulds today. Any ideas on what they are?
Thanks for looking!

Winger Ed.
02-28-2022, 06:59 PM
Being that old, they'd have to be for BP, and even in their day, they weren't cheap.

They probably weren't used in a factory, but maybe an old military unit back in the day.
I've read articles that said various units were given 'so-many' musket balls, and 'so-many' pounds of Lead
as part of their outfitting. I'd figure they'd have multi cavity molds to go with the Lead to give the troopers
something to do, and let the govt. save a few bucks from not buying all ready made boolits.

I'd cast a few runs with them, then measure and weigh what comes out.
That'd give you a hint as to what they fit.

1Hawkeye
02-28-2022, 07:38 PM
They look like pharmacy molds rather than bullet molds.

M-Tecs
02-28-2022, 07:45 PM
Some are Rectal Suppository Molds

https://www.etsy.com/listing/42335039/up-yours-vintage-rectal-suppository-mold?show_sold_out_detail=1&ref=nla_listing_details

405grain
02-28-2022, 07:50 PM
OMG! The last photo of the ones with fins on them like little bombs; knowing what those things are now, that picture just hurts!

Michael J. Spangler
02-28-2022, 07:59 PM
They look like pharmacy molds rather than bullet molds.

It’s very close for sure. Though this is set up for nose pour with a base plate. I can’t wait to bust his chops on this one

bimus
02-28-2022, 08:09 PM
lazy dogs I bought some a while back of Ebay

Michael J. Spangler
02-28-2022, 08:17 PM
Anyone wanna buy a suppository mould? ����

Winger Ed.
02-28-2022, 08:43 PM
OMG! The last photo of the ones with fins on them like little bombs; knowing what those things are now, that picture just hurts!

They only use those on people that don't want to pay their Doctor.

Bent Ramrod
03-01-2022, 10:20 AM
The little tong moulds with roundball chambers are called “bag moulds” by the buckskinner types, as they fit conveniently into the “possibles bag” and will do in a pinch for casting a few balls over an open fire for the next morning’s squirrel hunt. The size of ball matched the rifle it was supplied with. Some would let you cut the sprue with the sharpened edges on the inside of the handles behind the mould.

The one with the wide thin bare handles looks like a Winchester mould. It should have a caliber stamped on the sprue plate and the company logo on the side. (The logo is sometimes effaced by rust or the battering some owners gave them in their efforts to jar the castings loose.) Later versions came with wooden handles.

I have one of those acorn-shaped squarish moulds with the heavy splayed metal handles and no sprue plate, that casts a 0.366” boolit with a long “gate” (or whatever it’s called) on the base which (I guess) you snip off with wire cutters after the casting cools. Mine has “Hans Scheider” engraved on the side of the mould in very elegant script. I’ve seen a couple of the same type over the years at gun shows, some named, some not, with other cavities cut in them. They are very nicely made; the hinge between the handles is almost invisible. Maybe there was an outfit over there in Germany that supplied these blank moulds to the small-shop gunmakers so they could furnish a loading kit with the rifles they sold.

mdi
03-01-2022, 01:49 PM
Got any close up pics of the cavities?