PDA

View Full Version : Are some boolit designs more accurate than others?

nueces5
02-28-2022, 09:01 AM
Good morning.
Some boolit do better on some weapons than others?
After playing around with the load and OAL a bit, I find that the RCBS 124 cn on most of my pistols is much more accurate.
A couple of years ago I started reloading my 9mm with the Lee 120 TC, never got it to work, keyholes were frequent so I let it go.
I got a used RCBS 124 cn at a good price, I didn't have much expectation with the TC designs.
Then I bought a 135 grain Miha RNFP 6 banger, a rain of boolits. Very fast to have 6 cavities.
Testing both designs, I see that the RCBS is MUCH more accurate.
At 10 meters with support on my Tanfoglio stock 2, the group is an inch or an inch and a half. While the groups made with the MP mold start at two and a half inches at the same distance.
I started to modify the OAL and the powder charge, to see if I can improve the results with the MP.
If I don't improve with the MP, I'm going to try to get another RCBS and make boolits with two molds.
If Miha made a design similar to RCBS, it would be the best of both worlds.
Have you had a similar experience?

Thumbcocker
02-28-2022, 09:13 AM
Yes

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

sharps4590
02-28-2022, 03:04 PM
Of course.

popper
02-28-2022, 04:09 PM
Bullet design has a lot to do with accuracy but there are other factors for cast. Surprised the TC didn't work. Size, amount of drive band and ogive, alloy all make a difference. Keyholes are typically a sizing issue but soft alloy in 9mm is also suspect. I started with a TC from Lee for my 40sw, worked fine. Same design scaled up but soft alloy or undersized it keyholed a lot.

charlie b
02-28-2022, 10:41 PM
It's just like with jacketed. Some firearms prefer one type/weight over another. And it is not always consistent. One rifle of a particular brand may prefer one bullet while another of the same model and brand may prefer another. Same is true in pistols to some extent.

Sometimes you get a rifle or pistol that likes a wide variety of bullets.