PDA

View Full Version : Troube with the C309-150-F Mold in 30-30

Hanzy4200
02-27-2022, 10:42 PM
I'll cut to the chase before rambling. I'm shooting the C309-150-F in 30-30 out of a Win 94 AE. Seated to the crimp groove, they are pushing tight into the lands, causing difficulty in closing the lever and occasional light primer strikes.

I tried a variety of things today. I tried traditionally lube sized with Lyman Moly lube and gas check at .309. I tried powder coated, with gas checks applied in lubrisizer prior, then sized with push through Lee at .311, and a few powder coated plain with no gas check, also through the push through. The non gas checked did not shoot well, no surprise. The other two both shot quite well. The .311 shot marginally better. However, all suffered from the issues previously mentioned.

Main question #1 - Can I seat these past the crimp groove to alleviate this?
#2 - is it possible the Lubrisizer is "squashing" the nose wider, causing the tight fit?
#3 - Should I buy a .310 size die?

I also am curious what traditional lubes would be usable in loads in the 1,600- 1,800 fps range? As I need to apply check before powder coating, then size again after, it seems pointless to PC at all.

Dusty Bannister
02-27-2022, 11:18 PM
It is possible that if you pull hard on the lubesizer handle while trying to seat the gas check you are bumping the nose larger. But what is your alloy? If a soft alloy that is more than likely part of the problem. Seating the gas check in the sizer and then sizing the bullet in a push through die is almost the same result. How tightly does the nose of the bullet fit the throat?

Another consideration if you are tight in the lands due to the large diameter of the nose, is to go to a lead tin mix and see if that improves things just a little more.

jaysouth
02-27-2022, 11:19 PM
Have you done a pound cast of your chamber/throat? Some 94s do well with bullets sized .309 or .310.

Here is the sticky on poundcasting your chamber/throat:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?356251-Pound-Cast-instructions-(for-rifle-chamber)

Good luck on your journey.

Landy88
02-28-2022, 04:27 AM
First determine whether too long or too fat. Both pc and sizing may increase nose diameter.

Does as cast fit?

charlie b
02-28-2022, 11:45 AM
First, measure the dia of the nose before sizing. Then again after sizing just to see if the lubesizer is doing anything to it.

The Lee bullets are designed so the nose enters the rifling (bore riding design). When fitted closely to the bore they shoot very well.

To see where the bullet is hanging up, cover it with a black sharpie, chamber and remove. See where the marks are. If you have marks on the forward drive band then set the bullet a bit deeper in the case and try again. Don't worry about the crimp groove. Keep going until it just barely marks the bullet and is easy to close the lever.

Ed_Shot
02-28-2022, 12:03 PM
Boolit nose enlargement is the reason I've switched from my 450 to a Lee push-thru sizer for 30 cal. And....I've not had any issues with GC seating.

RickinTN
02-28-2022, 12:19 PM
I only size bullets with a Lee style push through sizer. I lube my bullets with a lubrasizer die which is a couple of thousandths larger than bullet size. The nose of your bullet may just be too big for your bore. The above mentioned technique will avoid the nose of the bullet being enlarged. You can seat the bullet deeper to avoid the issue but I would suggest a LEE collet style crimp die.

Hanzy4200
02-28-2022, 03:59 PM
Boolit nose enlargement is the reason I've switched from my 450 to a Lee push-thru sizer for 30 cal. And....I've not had any issues with GC seating.

What lubing method are you then using? I don't mind using the push through, but it seems crazy adding steps. I can't seat a GC after powder coating, as it won't fit securely. So it would require seating the checks, then PC, then another sizing. I also haven't seen a .310 Lee available.

As to alloy. I am not particular with my alloy. I typically just eyeball my mix. It's a combination of WW alloy and reclaimed range scrap. I then add a dose of Rotometals SuperHard and 50/50 solder. Air cooled. Spitball guess of a brinell at around 15-18.

imashooter2
02-28-2022, 05:45 PM
I have the same issue in a Marlin 336. I think it is why they shoot so well.

Ed_Shot
02-28-2022, 06:19 PM
What lubing method are you then using? I don't mind using the push through, but it seems crazy adding steps. I can't seat a GC after powder coating, as it won't fit securely. So it would require seating the checks, then PC, then another sizing. I also haven't seen a .310 Lee available.

As to alloy. I am not particular with my alloy. I typically just eyeball my mix. It's a combination of WW alloy and reclaimed range scrap. I then add a dose of Rotometals SuperHard and 50/50 solder. Air cooled. Spitball guess of a brinell at around 15-18.

I PC and I seat the GC before I PC and them size again. I do not consider reloading to be "WORK" but rather an enjoyable hobby. You are correct that LEE does not make a .310 push-thru sizer but there is a great post on this forum by BUCKSHOT on how to expand the diameter of a LEE push-thru sizer. Took me maybe 10 minutes to turn a .309 LEE sizer into a .310 sizer.

I am particular about my alloy. For rifle I use 5-2-93. There is another great post here on the forum regarding "water quenching" boolits. I air-cool after casting and water-quench after PC. I have not tested but I expect the BHN to be north of 20. OBTW, I also do a light tumble lube of 45-45-10 on rifle boolits prior to loading (just because I can). I'm pleased with the performance in my weapons.

imashooter2
02-28-2022, 09:01 PM
PC makes a large nose larger and it won’t be hit by the sizer.

In my Marlin, I would have to seat the boolit far to deeply in the case to be practical. I just live with the additional lever force required.

RickinTN
02-28-2022, 10:02 PM
Sizing the body of the bullet does nothing about the nose. Your coating is surely making the nose larger and a sizing die doesn't even touch it.
How do the noses fit when there is no powder coating?
Rick

imashooter2
02-28-2022, 10:15 PM
As for lube, I shoot most of mine over Alliant 2400 at 1,740 fps, but I have no issues over 3031 at 1,925 fps. I use White Label Caranuba Red or Blue.

Hanzy4200
02-28-2022, 10:38 PM
As for lube, I shoot most of mine over Alliant 2400 at 1,740 fps, but I have no issues over 3031 at 1,925 fps. I use White Label Caranuba Red or Blue.

I'm going to try my own lube first. I invested in a big old block of natural beeswax (10lb?) and a bag of carnuba flakes a couple years ago. Those, Vaseline, a little paraffin wax, and a few crayons for color. I've yet to shoot it over 1,400 fps, but I think it can handle it.

The non PC'd bullets did seem to cause slightly less resistance. As to the "squished" nose, I miked a couple a moment ago and the lubrisizer doesn't appear to be deforming the noses at all. I will try the old school lubed style, seated slightly lower. Will post results.

imashooter2
02-28-2022, 10:42 PM
I’ve used FWFL with great success, your mix will no doubt do the job. You aren’t looking for outer edge velocities with a gas check.

Hanzy4200
03-06-2022, 08:42 PM
I took her out today and ran about 60 rounds. I did old school lube sizing at .309, gas check with no PC. I had zero problems. No light primer strikes, no difficult chambering. This is the first real cast rifle load I've accomplished, and it feels awesome! Thank you all for your input.

Texas by God
03-06-2022, 09:18 PM
That's the rifle bullet I started with long ago with the single cavity Lee mould. I let a buddy have the last 2 cavity C309150F that I had; I'm about out of those boolits- so I better get a new mould. It has shot well for me at .309" in 7.62x39, 30-30, .30 Remington,.300 Savage, 30-40, and 30-06 rifles.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

charlie b
03-06-2022, 10:36 PM
Congratulations!

Welcome to many more years of bullet making :)

Dom
03-06-2022, 11:29 PM
Simple. Seat the bullet a little deeper & crimp onto the bullet body. I have done this many times for my Marlin rifles & their ultra short throats. Simple & it works.