PDA

View Full Version : Steel muffin tin problem

Barnowl
02-26-2022, 09:08 PM
I used a sheet steel muffin tin today to cast ingots in and found that the lead would not release from the molds. It was a recycled used muffin tin. Maybe it had some kind of coating that melted and bonded the lead to the mold. I tried heating the mold some over the burner to see if they would loosen up but no luck. Here is a pic of the end result of separating lead from molds. What was the problem?

Kevin

Silvercreek Farmer
02-26-2022, 09:23 PM
Been there done that. I think the silver colored ones are in coated in tin and solder themselves to the ingots. You need the black ones. Doesn’t hurt to cook them with a weed burner (or campfire) then let them rust up a bit for a good release.

Winger Ed.
02-26-2022, 09:24 PM
Oh, I see you got the disposable type of ingot mold.

Next time around-
Various shapes of molds made of cast Iron or heavy thicknesses of steel are way better.
Iron cornbread molds from a thrift store are a favorite.

Nobody has much luck with those multi piece muffin pans.

WRideout
02-26-2022, 09:36 PM
That happened to me first time out. Later, I read on this forum that rust is a release agent. Therefore, I left the pan out in the weather for a while to develop a rust coating. The remaining cups that I didn't ruin worked fine after that. When I got another muffin pan from Goodwill in like-new condition, I simply smoked the cups over a wood fire, and they released fine.

Wayne

Barnowl
02-26-2022, 09:41 PM
Wayne, good ideas to keep in mind.

Winger Ed, I agree that there are better choices for molds. I also used a homemade angle iron type mold that worked fine. However, I have seen plenty of discussion and pics on this site of folks using sheet steel type cooking molds such as the muffin tins and small bread loaf pans without apparent issues.

Kevin

Budzilla 19
02-26-2022, 09:44 PM
I took those sheet metal muffin tins, burned the fire outta them, threw them under the drip off the roof for a week or two, lots of rust, they work ok now. If Lakehouse ever gets more ingot molds in stock, do yourself a HUGE favor, buy some of them. Till then, look for the one piece aluminum muffin molds, they work awesome. No sticking problems. Good luck to ya.

johnsonian09
02-26-2022, 10:29 PM
My large mold makes 7lb bars is an old 4 loaf cornbread pan. My favorite small mold is an old cast iron 'pancake puff pastry' pan. My father is fond of gimmicky cookware

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

imashooter2
02-26-2022, 10:54 PM
Hasn’t been long since we discussed it last time. Makeshift equipment sort of works sometimes. If it’s all you got, make do, but an upgrade will make life easier.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?435913-Cupcake-molds-disaster&highlight=Muffin

Barnowl
02-26-2022, 11:32 PM
Good post reference, thanks.

Rcmaveric
02-27-2022, 03:42 AM
I did the same thing with the cheap dollar store muffin molds. Not sure what that coating is but the ingots solder themselves in.

Scour them and let them sit in the yard to rust. They wont stick to rust.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Cosmic_Charlie
02-27-2022, 09:05 AM
Just get a couple Lyman ingot molds and don't look back.

Sasquatch-1
02-27-2022, 09:41 AM
I have cast literally thousands of the muffin pan ingots and I have only had one cup fail. I don't know why it failed when the rest all fell out easily. I did eventually switch over to cast iron. Check thrift stores and antique shops (the junky type) for the cast iron.

sierra1911
02-27-2022, 09:50 AM
Spraying them with Franklin Arsenal mold release will also prevent them from sticking.

Froogal
02-27-2022, 09:51 AM

BINGO!!! They really do not cost all that much and they last forever.

farmbif
02-27-2022, 10:30 AM
last time I went to the lodge factory store they said they quit making the muffin pans but had plenty of the round of pans divided in wedges. they also had lots of small like gravy scoop pans that are great as a Big Dipper or for melting just a pound or 2 at a time.
if you can find a cast iron pan that has a shape and size you like you will never look back to using tin or thin aluminum made in china stuff.

farmbif
02-27-2022, 10:59 AM
just noticed--Miha is making ingot molds now looks like machined billet aluminum. currently 2 in stock

Retumbo
02-27-2022, 11:31 AM
I throw mine in the wood stove with a fire going. Pull it out when the fire is done

TyGuy
02-27-2022, 11:48 AM
I did that with what turned out to be copper once. It fused to the steel cup and it remains there to this day. I have always used a Lyman ingot mold for lead.

John Boy
02-27-2022, 11:51 AM
Took all my muffin tin ingots … sorted them by alloy and melted them into 6# ingots in a cast iron ingot mold.
Took about 4 days to clean up the muffin ingots mess for 1700 lbs but all stacked now by alloy
Muffin tins now in the corner rusting

JSnover
02-27-2022, 12:14 PM
Yep!
Nothing improved my casting as much as when I started buying the right equipment. Better results and zero frustration.

Barnowl
02-28-2022, 12:58 AM
Thanks for all the input.
I do use a couple of Lyman molds, a NOE mold, and homemade angle iron molds. The tin muffin pan was just used for extra capacity.

Kevin

rondog
02-28-2022, 01:47 AM
Yeah, I also use the Lyman molds. Bonus - the 1lb. ingots fit perfectly into .30 cal USGI ammo cans. I can get 65 bars into a can, have 10 cans currently filled and stashed, and enough extras for 2 more cans, just ran out of cans.

6mm win lee
02-28-2022, 12:22 PM
For those who want to buy that special someone a cast iron muffin pan for Saint Swithin's Day I give you this.

Cast Iron Muffin Pan SKU: L5P3
https://www.lodgecastiron.com/product/cast-iron-muffin-pan?sku=L5P3

Rich/WIS
02-28-2022, 01:07 PM
Have been using the one piece aluminum pans for years with no issues. Have seen similar to the Op's post with the type that have the cups pressed into the flat sheet. Have a stack of them, both full size and the mini size. Don't think I ever paid more than $2 and mostly about $1. I am not fussy about ingots and these work good enough for me. Not to mention I am too cheap to but "real" ingot molds.

gwpercle
02-28-2022, 02:46 PM
I used a sheet steel muffin tin today to cast ingots in and found that the lead would not release from the molds. It was a recycled used muffin tin. Maybe it had some kind of coating that melted and bonded the lead to the mold. I tried heating the mold some over the burner to see if they would loosen up but no luck. Here is a pic of the end result of separating lead from molds. What was the problem?

Kevin

Your problem is you used Steel muffin pans ... you should have used Aluminum ... lead doesnt stick to them . Wilton makes one piece aluminum pans ...Mini-Muffin and Mini-Load .
Been using them about 40 years ...no stick ! www.wilton.com
There are one or two other companies that make Aluminum Baking Pans ...but you have to search hard for aluminum pans ...even Wilton tries to hide them every one wants to sell you steel and steel sucks rocks.

The aluminum pans pressed from one piece of aluminum will be idiot proof ... I use them with 100% success and I'm the biggest idiot on the block !
Gary

popper
02-28-2022, 03:13 PM
They don't solder in or stick. The muffin cups expand more than lead and contract more. You gotta dump them before completely cold. Rust & grunge helps the release but temp is the main problem.

Sasquatch-1
03-01-2022, 09:46 AM
I bought 3 of these on clearance at Bed Bath and Beyond several years ago and casted over a half ton of ingots with them without any problems.

gwpercle
03-01-2022, 02:52 PM
They don't solder in or stick. The muffin cups expand more than lead and contract more. You gotta dump them before completely cold. Rust & grunge helps the release but temp is the main problem.

I'm sorry ...temperature isn't the main problem ... the main problem is the materal .
A aluminum mini muffin pan needs no rust , no fire , no coating and no special temperature and will not stick .
Just try a one-piece Aluminum mini muffin pan once ... I double dog dare you to try one .
Gary

imashooter2
03-01-2022, 05:21 PM
Tried one. Have a nice pile of Lyman iron and aluminum ingot molds due to the experience.

fredj338
03-03-2022, 03:31 PM
If looking for cheap tins, go aluminum, not steel. If steel, burning with a torch & allowing them to rust is a good bet, but aluminum should work fine. Iron are probably best. Old cast iron bread stick or corn bread molds are great.