PDA

View Full Version : S&W US Model of 1917

Doug Bowser
01-20-2009, 05:46 PM
My cllub bud brought this by and was it a mess inside. The exterior and bore are 90%+. Wat befell this nice revolver was a local backyard gunsmith. When I got it from my friend, the single action was 30 pounds. Itook it apart and the "gunsmith" replaced the long action hammer with an "N" frame short action hammer. The single action ser would not reach the hammer and he added some weld to the hammer notch. The weld broke off and the sear would slip under the hammer and the pull was very hard because the trigger had to pull the hammer 1/4" to the rear before the hammer slipped off the sear. The double action sear on the hammer was too short, so he ground it down where the DA sear is fastened to the hammer. This ruined the double action sear.

The SMITHY also removed the cylinder lock plunger and spring and put in a piece of nail in the recess in the front of the trigger guard. Then he stretched the spring and the cylinder stop would not engage the cylinder.

He also lightened the trigger return rebound spring and the trigger would not return to the forward position.

I had to buy $175.00 worth of parts for this revolver. It is well worth the effort. The parts had to be fitted and the cylinder re-timed. I wish the revolver were mine.

The repair bill will be over $250.

oldhickory
01-20-2009, 06:49 PM
I wish it were mine too! Good job!...You saved a classic!:drinks:

leftiye
01-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Amazing how some people do things that good smiths would be afraid to do (even if they hadn't already decided that it was a dumb thang to do). How many things that don't work does one do before they stop?

monadnock#5
01-20-2009, 09:02 PM
Thank you for saving that old war horse from the glue factory. The pride and satisfaction should more than offset the price.

HeavyMetal
01-20-2009, 10:07 PM
I have a 1917 Colt in the same condition.

It's been re blued and looks great but the cylinder slops back and forth badly and the main spring is home made! Lots of little problems with it.

I have been on the look out for spare parts, barrel and cylinder are in real good shape just internals are worn.

The original project was to turn it into a 45 Colt revolver, but the cylinder I have won't match the crane parts ( two different series I guess) Some day I'll take it out and attempt a repair and sell the 45 Colt cylinder.

Glad to see you were able to save the old Smith!