PDA

View Full Version : What, if anything are you all buying in light of recent events?

Hanzy4200
02-24-2022, 09:48 PM
We are living in a uncertain time for sure. My personal belief is that this whole deal is a way for those in power to deflect blame on the massive hyperinflation that is looming. Things are going to get crazy again, to what degree we don't know. With that in mind, what are you guys buying? I'm planning to place a order for some extra shotgun supplies. Really need some 3" hulls, but doubt I will find any. Maybe a Powder Valley order depending on their supply. Also placed a large (for me) order of silver bullion. Plan to top off all my gas cans tomorrow after work, and propane the day after. Made a unscheduled stop at Walmart for staple foods today. Not even a completely full cart, no meats, $340. Will probably stop and get a extra case or two of my Shiner Bock.

tazman
02-24-2022, 09:51 PM
I am not buying anything firearm related now. I am just barely able to pay bills with current prices.

dverna
02-24-2022, 09:55 PM
Been prepared for some time, so not doing much at all. Waiting for sales and buying more when it makes sense.

I can go for 6-12 months if need be.

I was going to sell some of my “useless” guns but will hold off as their value may increase as the fools panic.

Winger Ed.
02-24-2022, 10:02 PM
Not much for me in the way of buying more supplies.
I'm about as well set as I'll ever be and plan to hang around here (bugging in), sitting on the patio watching the
tips of a couple of fishing rods as the world goes by.

If I get bored or run out of things to read-
I figure I can always pull down a few hundred rounds of ammunition, re-cast the boolits, and reload them.

Hueyville
02-24-2022, 10:14 PM
Have always kept ten years of components till Sandy Hook and afterwards when market normalized then bottomed loaded up on everything from commercial ammo, components, rifle and pistol build parts plus firearms. Have enough ammo and components to shoot our household average of 500 rounds per week minimum for two decades. Hoping market will normalize one more time which will see meand my heirs shooting after I go to see Jesus. After Sandy Hook I can't imagine anyone letting latest shortage catch them short. I do still find estate sale deals that I jump on.

sharps4590
02-24-2022, 10:28 PM
Nothing. Short of an invasion we don't really need anything.

Baltimoreed
02-24-2022, 10:33 PM
Just keeping my pantry stocked up. I might top off my mowers gas cans tomorrow.

megasupermagnum
02-24-2022, 10:34 PM
As little as possible. Thought about a newer truck. Not happening. Thought about a few guns, nope. Want a house, but that's not realistic for a while. I got a significant pay raise last year, but how quickly everything unfolded, I have less value than I have in years. I'm sure glad I did what I did, when I did, and prepared the way I did. Shooting is the least of my concerns. I have plenty to do. I'm looking at it this way. I have another truck that needs to be rebuilt, most of the parts, and now I have a reason to do it. I just won't be adding to the gun collection for a while.

405grain
02-24-2022, 10:37 PM
If you want an investment that will double in value; fill up a can of gas, put it in your garage, then wait a month!

Outer Rondacker
02-24-2022, 10:39 PM
Im with Tazman on this one. I am not buying much firearm related anything as I cannot swing it. We keep lots of food on hand. A dollar saved is a dollar earned.

Gray Fox
02-24-2022, 10:39 PM
A couple friends and I need to make a day-long range trip to a DNR range. We're going to have to really plan what we want to shoot as the round trip is 175 miles. It looks like gas may be close to $4.00/gal by the time we get organized. Lots of fun guns I'd like to shoot, but I will narrow it down to guns and loads I want to check zero on. GF

Hanzy4200
02-24-2022, 10:41 PM
Not much for me in the way of buying more supplies.
I'm about as well set as I'll ever be and plan to hang around here (bugging in), sitting on the patio watching the
tips of a couple of fishing rods as the world goes by.

If I get bored or run out of things to read-
I figure I can always pull down a few hundred rounds of ammunition, re-cast the boolits, and reload them.

Now that sounds like a plan. I have always been envious of those with homes on the water. Be grateful. You are very blessed.

megasupermagnum
02-24-2022, 10:49 PM
Now that sounds like a plan. I have always been envious of those with homes on the water. Be grateful. You are very blessed.

Take it from someone who grew up on a lake shore, it's not all sunshine and roses. Winger Ed has the right attitude. Unfortunately some of the worst people that walk this planet are lake shore owners, and they don't just sit idly by. I love water, and I miss being able to swim and fish whenever, but I would never buy lake shore. A slough or creek is all I'm willing to deal with.

Winger Ed.
02-24-2022, 11:14 PM

Thanks.
It took a lot of saving, planning, and doing without unnecessary things to help bring the stars together, and make it happen.
Our lake is about 70 miles outside a big city, and one of the biggest in Texas.
The shore lines are at least 90-odd percent privately owned, with almost no public boat ramps and facilities.

Sure. We have a few problem children,
but the local law enforcement does come down on them hard and fast when they go all stupid.

BadgerShooter
02-24-2022, 11:36 PM
Thinking about upgrading to a heavier duty flour mill.

trails4u
02-24-2022, 11:38 PM
I often accuse my wife of being a witch (I have fun with that...she's a DEEPLY Christian woman!)...but her 'feelings' are more often right than wrong. We started laying in supplies before Covid was even recognized as a thing. Now...we've always been the 'prepper' types, but it got accelerated with a quickness a couple years back. We have a small piece of land, with a constant supply of water and a few animals, and stocked deep. I think we're good for a while....

flatnose
02-24-2022, 11:47 PM
I learned my lesson and stocked up when Clinton was in there. Spent a lot of my 401 on primers and powder. Now I can shoot until I am 110 yrs old, which is not far from now! Maybe I will be a terrorist suspect when they look in home after I am dead. At least I will leave a legacy of past freedoms. Shoot em while you can boys.

35 Rem
02-25-2022, 12:49 AM
I've bought several orders of jacketed .224 bullets for general purpose rifle gong shooting. I'm surprised to see some of the cheaper bulk boxes of cup and core .224 varmint style bullets showing up in stock lately. Anything that gets down around 15 cents each or less I have been buying up typically 1,000 at a time. Got one batch of Speer 55 grainers for 9 cents each! Didn't think that would ever happen again but honestly one reason jacketed bullets have gotten so high is that many shooters insist on having the latest high-tech 1,000 yard lathe turned and hand polished wonder bullet for any shooting they do. Truth is we got along just fine before those bullets came along and the older bullets work as well as ever for most rifle shooting. As for casting, I've pretty much got everything I need. I did get my 1st batch of Gator gas checks in 8mm to stock up on that size GC. After seeing how well they are made I may never buy Hornady GC's again and certainly not Lyman with the prices they sell for now. As some others said, having lived through Clinton's gun bans and Obama's too, I know these ammo shortages are coming as soon as a Democrat gets in the White House and don't leave myself vulnerable to their anti-gun attacks. I had lots of primers by the middle of Trumps term. Was somewhat short in cases for some cartridges I load for but jumped on that as Trump was leaving and now have what is likely a lifetime quantity for everything. On that same subject I decided to get a case annealing set last Spring also partly just because I wanted to try it and also obviously to make cases last longer. I got the Anneal-Rite setup with the entire set of case holding blocks. Figured I might as well get the whole deal and not get beat up with shipping later buying a bock at a time. Haven't used it yet so can't comment on it but it's so simple that I don't see how there could be problems. Have been doing the same with the RCBS Little Dandy powder dropper rotors. I have one last rotor on the way now and once it arrives I should have everyone I'll ever need. For light to moderate handgun loads with cast bullets I have lots of Unique and WW231 and a whole lot of Red Dot so haven't had to buy any powder or primers at these current crazy prices. SP primers are a bit under 6,000 though so will have to shoot more 45 ACP, 45 Colt and 44 Magnum than 38 Special. Since I can recover my lead from the sandboxes bullet weight doesn't matter at all anymore. From what I'm reading in Shooting Industry magazine most people in the gun industry are expecting the short supplies to last through 2022 and possibly 2023.

Three44s
02-25-2022, 01:00 AM
Buying?

Nothing! No bargains!

Three44s

Harter66
02-25-2022, 01:46 AM
I've got 11 cases of TP , freezers full , maybe some ducks those we have have been better layers than the chickens . 1000# of egg pellets I guess and the stuff for a day pen for the assorted fowl to "free range" .

I don't know really maybe a new mower and generator and a gas drum . More heirloom seeds ? I've never been much of a farmer . I've been thinking on a storm shelter for a while . We paid heavily on the house this last year so a storm shelter isn't an unreasonable want really . 95% of the bad storm stuff goes ESE or NNW of us so maybe it's just a waste .

A 410 roll crimp tool would be nice .

rcslotcar
02-25-2022, 05:42 AM
Stocking up the Pantry with long shelf life items and spices. Other than that a lot of casting, swaging and case prepping (I've got plenty of primers).

Hanzy4200
02-25-2022, 06:30 AM
I've bought several orders of jacketed .224 bullets for general purpose rifle gong shooting. I'm surprised to see some of the cheaper bulk boxes of cup and core .224 varmint style bullets showing up in stock lately. Anything that gets down around 15 cents each or less I have been buying up typically 1,000 at a time. Got one batch of Speer 55 grainers for 9 cents each! Didn't think that would ever happen again but honestly one reason jacketed bullets have gotten so high is that many shooters insist on having the latest high-tech 1,000 yard lathe turned and hand polished wonder bullet for any shooting they do. Truth is we got along just fine before those bullets came along and the older bullets work as well as ever for most rifle shooting. As for casting, I've pretty much got everything I need. I did get my 1st batch of Gator gas checks in 8mm to stock up on that size GC. After seeing how well they are made I may never buy Hornady GC's again and certainly not Lyman with the prices they sell for now. As some others said, having lived through Clinton's gun bans and Obama's too, I know these ammo shortages are coming as soon as a Democrat gets in the White House and don't leave myself vulnerable to their anti-gun attacks. I had lots of primers by the middle of Trumps term. Was somewhat short in cases for some cartridges I load for but jumped on that as Trump was leaving and now have what is likely a lifetime quantity for everything. On that same subject I decided to get a case annealing set last Spring also partly just because I wanted to try it and also obviously to make cases last longer. I got the Anneal-Rite setup with the entire set of case holding blocks. Figured I might as well get the whole deal and not get beat up with shipping later buying a bock at a time. Haven't used it yet so can't comment on it but it's so simple that I don't see how there could be problems. Have been doing the same with the RCBS Little Dandy powder dropper rotors. I have one last rotor on the way now and once it arrives I should have everyone I'll ever need. For light to moderate handgun loads with cast bullets I have lots of Unique and WW231 and a whole lot of Red Dot so haven't had to buy any powder or primers at these current crazy prices. SP primers are a bit under 6,000 though so will have to shoot more 45 ACP, 45 Colt and 44 Magnum than 38 Special. Since I can recover my lead from the sandboxes bullet weight doesn't matter at all anymore. From what I'm reading in Shooting Industry magazine most people in the gun industry are expecting the short supplies to last through 2022 and possibly 2023.

If you've never been there, take a look at https://americanreloading.com/en/ . They have some of the best jacketed prices I've found. Mostly pull downs, but they are very nice. If they are pull marked or tarnished they will tell you. I got a bunch of 175 sierra matchkings recently for under $.25 apiece. They're running a 24% off sale now also. They have treated me very well. Good guys.

GhostHawk
02-25-2022, 06:57 AM
I stocked up a bit on fly tying supply's, mostly Hooks in the sizes I like and Angelina fiber. (think colored mylar cut very very fine)
Found a good deal on a fox tail and a coon tail. 10 and 5$ respectively.

House has been ready for this for 20 years.

Recently stacked even more airgun pellets onto an already large stack. Added .177 pellets to my stack. I bought one of those 25$ winchester break barrels and it is breaking in well. Plus I have a Beeman P17 pistol which is a hoot to shoot, and has a really sweet trigger. Makes it a joy to walk down and pop a few rounds off every time I feel like it.

I should probably be buying 150 gallons of gas or more. But Gas does not store as well as it used to. And I think if you try to keep a tank that size or bigger around your house you'll have the local Fire Dept and the city breathing down your neck. And even if the price of gas doubles, with the cost of storage you don't make as much as you think.

I have not figured the banks out. Last time we had inflation like this the banks CD interest rates were floating from 10 to 13%. Which would over the long haul allow you to grow your money. Now its still below half a percent.

35 Rem
02-25-2022, 08:31 AM
If you've never been there, take a look at https://americanreloading.com/en/ . They have some of the best jacketed prices I've found. Mostly pull downs, but they are very nice. If they are pull marked or tarnished they will tell you. I got a bunch of 175 sierra matchkings recently for under $.25 apiece. They're running a 24% off sale now also. They have treated me very well. Good guys.

Thanks, that's an interesting site I'd never seen before!

Outer Rondacker
02-25-2022, 09:51 AM
I have been using american reloading since I can remember being on the internet. I still have other places that are cheaper for brand new items. But we still use them from time to time.

rancher1913
02-25-2022, 10:05 AM
if you dont have it by now, you are behind the 8 ball.

MrWolf
02-25-2022, 10:18 AM
LGS should have some items I have been waiting on for awhile in next few days. Have basically everything I need for reloading and am in the process of doing a full inventory now that I am getting caught up with everything. I have so many projects for around our place that I have years worth to do. We will be expanding garden and planning on a green house this year. Definitely have to improve my water source as I do not want to use my well water. There is a small spring a bit up the mountain on my property. We are good on meat (beef, venison, and chicken). Will probably get some chickens this spring. Like I said, plenty to do.

Jack Stanley
02-25-2022, 10:26 AM
Not really planning on adding anything .... it's time to be thinking about lawn care stuff does that count ?

Jack

farmbif
02-25-2022, 10:33 AM
maybe an early annual trip to the garden seed supply store. thinking maybe a couple more doberman pups might be a good thing. keep putting up firewood for next winter. been thinking of a few chickens and some bulk seed to plant to keep em fed.
but if Putin pushes the button it might all be gone in a bright flash.

Dancing Bear
02-25-2022, 10:47 AM
I hope people are still buying firearms. I just took two Mosin-Nagants, 1600+rounds of 7.62x54R and some 25 Stevens ammo to auction scheduled for next month. At 71 I'm thinking it's time to trim down some stock. But I hated to part with my Ukrainian refurbished M44.

RogerDat
02-25-2022, 11:13 AM
Same old same old. I try to maintain a pantry. Not with months stockpiled but with enough to supplement and enhance the diet for a couple of months of things being less available. Or for a few weeks if a tornado or ice storm made shopping difficult.

Need to get after home maintenance items. Just because if it ain't painted and should be it tends to rot. Been here long enough that looking at some refinishing of wood. Past time to replace the carpet in the rooms we use the most. Have had my eye on the shingles, especially those facing south or west. Doubt we will outlast another set of shingles, more a matter of timing so we avoid any leaks and still have good roof when kids or we sell the house eventually.

In short I'll not speculate on what may happen. I am so skeptical of news reporting on things such as projecting a food shortage due to the invasion of Ukraine. They grow grain so why is the news story being shot in the produce department of a grocery store? The US exports the same grain. Prices may rise if the farmers sell more abroad. Much of that grain will go toward animal feed so meat prices could get some pressure but really who knows? Buying what I know I'll use in the not too distant future is just saving myself a trip to the store. Allows me to stock up during sales. Prepping for a war in the Ukraine? Not on my radar.

Good on the guy fixing the truck. Truck has value. Using his skill to create "sweat equity" is smart. Either saves him money or used vehicle market for trucks is pretty good right now.

If I found myself getting low on reloading components I would use less and less often. Same as most people I guess. If something is hard to replace then we use it more sparingly.

rbuck351
02-25-2022, 01:46 PM
Just buy to replace things we use. I don't bother to replace any gun related expendables as at 73 I have enough to get me through to the end.

quilbilly
02-25-2022, 02:20 PM
A 2 year supply of garden seeds and getting ready to plant twice the number of Ozette potatoes than usual (2x onion sets already in the ground). That may be all moot since we live 9 miles (as crows fly) from the most important nuclear missile ballistic submarine base in the U.S. which will give us a ringside seat for the end of civilization.

Jaaymar
02-25-2022, 04:10 PM
I have limited space to store anything so, I have to be particular regarding what I stock up on.
I have decided that, because space is at a premium in my house and I have plenty of empty space between my ears, I am in the process of researching some of my more fundamental interests.

Learning to make better bread using a water or water/milk roux, better tasting food is always good.
Testing lead hardness using drawing pencils is fast & easy also surprisingly accurate.
Growing all my greens inside my house saves me from buying & eating pesticides.
I am using food & herbs to replace vitamins & supplements for better health, this is a work in progress.

I am thinking I should go through & sell some of the unused items to clear up some space.

Jaaymar

3584ELK
02-25-2022, 04:28 PM
As little as possible. Thought about a newer truck. Not happening. Thought about a few guns, nope. Want a house, but that's not realistic for a while. I got a significant pay raise last year, but how quickly everything unfolded, I have less value than I have in years. I'm sure glad I did what I did, when I did, and prepared the way I did. Shooting is the least of my concerns. I have plenty to do. I'm looking at it this way. I have another truck that needs to be rebuilt, most of the parts, and now I have a reason to do it. I just won't be adding to the gun collection for a while.

Amen to that- who needs a plastic push button piece of crap for $60000? No thanks.

Hanzy4200
02-25-2022, 07:41 PM
I also need to buy some chickens this spring. We did ducks for the past 3 years. Messy buggers. Nature made the choice for us with the use f a very effective fox. Took down the whole flock in 48 hours. Need to place my specialty seed order for this year, as I'm sure everything gardening will be sparse soon. I already have at least 2 years worth of bulk staple seeds, corn, beans, beets, winter squash, ect.

Scrounge
02-25-2022, 08:24 PM
I'm buying and making tooling for my hobby machine shop. A chuck backplate so I can use the import 3-jaw chuck from the Smithy 3-in-1 machine my brother bought for me on the Atlas TH42, a sine table, & and a 1x1x6 fine SC stone, a batch of tool holders for the old lantern-style Atlas tool post, and a spare tool post that I may be able to use on the Smithy, and another toolpost that I may be able to adapt to my Lewis shaper... Those are all recent ebay purchases except the bundle of tool holders and such. I'm making a set of V-blocks, and refurbing several machines. Busy times. Should help me stay out of trouble. ;)

Bill

Piedmont
02-25-2022, 09:41 PM
I'm going to plant some seeds, too. Military bases near me so I don't worry about nukes (it will be a quick end or it won't happen, no point in worrying). I see very little point in gold and silver. Never in my lifetime would it have been advantageous to own either.

Outer Rondacker
02-25-2022, 10:46 PM
I should buy more TP.

cwtebay
02-25-2022, 11:18 PM
Didn't really do any. I pre purchased 25,000 gallons of red dye when it was cheap, kinda like primers and powder that everyone is seemingly distraught over - get it while it's hot.
I'm actually quite confused about folks and their panic purchasing - don't you plan on being alive and living the same life day after tomorrow? If not, apologies and God Bless.
If so, enjoy complaining about unobtainable things and prices that are now out of your reach.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

brewer12345
02-25-2022, 11:43 PM
Didn't really do any. I pre purchased 25,000 gallons of red dye when it was cheap, kinda like primers and powder that everyone is seemingly distraught over - get it while it's hot.
I'm actually quite confused about folks and their panic purchasing - don't you plan on being alive and living the same life day after tomorrow? If not, apologies and God Bless.
If so, enjoy complaining about unobtainable things and prices that are now out of your reach.

I just have to ask: what will you do with 25,000 gallons of red dye?

I've topped up the dog food, made sure the pantry and miscellaneous stuff is stocked up. Got some repairs done on the truck. Already stockpiled what I can to get through the pandemic and try to hedge against shortages and inflation.

I put together the lower that has been awaiting my attention to match with a 6.5 Grendel upper. Tried it out on the nearby range today and it was jam-o-matic. Range officer who helped me unjam suggested a heavier buffer. So I guess I have trouble shooting this thing to distract me, heh. Once I get it running I will start on load development for it.

cwtebay
02-25-2022, 11:44 PM

I've topped up the dog food, made sure the pantry and miscellaneous stuff is stocked up. Got some repairs done on the truck. Already stockpiled what I can to get through the pandemic and try to hedge against shortages and inflation.

I put together the lower that has been awaiting my attention to match with a 6.5 Grendel upper. Tried it out on the nearby range today and it was jam-o-matic. Range officer who helped me unjam suggested a heavier buffer. So I guess I have trouble shooting this thing to distract me, heh. Once I get it running I will start on load development for it.Farm and ranch

lightman
02-26-2022, 12:14 AM
We haven't really bought anything. We just maintain. I keep my reloading and shooting supplies stocked up. The Wife keeps the kitchen and household stuff well stocked. We usually fill up our vehicles when they get down to half a tank. We have several propane tanks full. The storage closets are full of TP, paper towels, Cat food, lots of bottled water, spare medicines except for the most expensive prescriptions. The freezer is full.

Hanzy4200
02-26-2022, 09:22 AM
I'm going to plant some seeds, too. Military bases near me so I don't worry about nukes (it will be a quick end or it won't happen, no point in worrying). I see very little point in gold and silver. Never in my lifetime would it have been advantageous to own either.

Well, gold is up nearly 400% in the last 15 years. Silver more than doubled in that time. It's sure done a lot better than my savings account and CD's.

dverna
02-26-2022, 09:23 AM
Well, gold is up nearly 400% in the last 15 years. Silver more than doubled in that time. It's sure done a lot better than my savings account and CD's.

Primers up 500% in 10 years.

dondiego
02-26-2022, 12:37 PM

I put together the lower that has been awaiting my attention to match with a 6.5 Grendel upper. Tried it out on the nearby range today and it was jam-o-matic. Range officer who helped me unjam suggested a heavier buffer. So I guess I have trouble shooting this thing to distract me, heh. Once I get it running I will start on load development for it.

It is dyed diesel fuel. Dyed to separate it from being used over the road. Farm only.

brewer12345
02-26-2022, 12:48 PM
It is dyed diesel fuel. Dyed to separate it from being used over the road. Farm only.

Ahhhhh, that makes perfect sense. I was envisioning a swimming pool of red dye and wondering what on earth that would be used for.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-26-2022, 12:56 PM
Been prepared for some time, so not doing much at all. Waiting for sales and buying more when it makes sense.

I can go for 6-12 months if need be.

I was going to sell some of my “useless” guns but will hold off as their value may increase as the fools panic.

I am saying the exact same thing as dverna...to the "T".

with that said, I did just dish out some huge cash to get two female kittens fixed. I'm thinking my local Veterinarian is also a reloader, and she wants to stock up on powder and primers, so she has raised her prices accordingly.

bangerjim
02-26-2022, 01:33 PM
Long shelf-life food stuffs more than normal. Haven't bought anything gun-related since covid started......don't need anything.

I worry about cyber-attacks taking the power grids down. Read where an expert said a major attack could cripple the US grid for two+ weeks or longer. I have solar back-ups for several critical things (iPhones, ipads, small DC-powered refrig, lights, etc), but my main 8KW array will not operate it's converter without the 220 from the grid, so it will just sit there and the power will go nowhere.

Cyber is the main thing we all should all worry about, not how much lead you have in your stores. Take away the power/water/sewage basic functions we all take for granted and you bring a country to its knees real fast. :violin:

banger

dverna
02-26-2022, 03:56 PM
Long shelf-life food stuffs more than normal. Haven't bought anything gun-related since covid started......don't need anything.

I worry about cyber-attacks taking the power grids down. Read where an expert said a major attack could cripple the US grid for two+ weeks or longer. I have solar back-ups for several critical things (iPhones, ipads, small DC-powered refrig, lights, etc), but my main 8KW array will not operate it's converter without the 220 from the grid, so it will just sit there and the power will go nowhere.

Cyber is the main thing we all should all worry about, not how much lead you have in your stores. Take away the power/water/sewage basic functions we all take for granted and you bring a country to its knees real fast. :violin:

banger

Really good point about power. I have a propane generator with its own 500 gallon tank. I can go two to three months if I only use it 4-5 hours a day during a SHTF event. It is plumbed so I can use the 500 gallon tank for the house if needed. Being on a well makes things a bit easier than depending on city water as long as the well keeps working. If the well fails, I have a river about .7 mile away for drinking water (have a Berkey filter) and there is a road that gets within 200 yards of it.

You cannot go much more than 3 days without water.

Been looking at getting an "off road" tricycle so I can get around without using fuel.

Edward
02-26-2022, 04:07 PM
We are living in a uncertain time for sure. My personal belief is that this whole deal is a way for those in power to deflect blame on the massive hyperinflation that is looming. Things are going to get crazy again, to what degree we don't know. With that in mind, what are you guys buying? I'm planning to place a order for some extra shotgun supplies. Really need some 3" hulls, but doubt I will find any. Maybe a Powder Valley order depending on their supply. Also placed a large (for me) order of silver bullion. Plan to top off all my gas cans tomorrow after work, and propane the day after. Made a unscheduled stop at Walmart for staple foods today. Not even a completely full cart, no meats, $340. Will probably stop and get a extra case or two of my Shiner Bock.

What I do is not for public forums ! Stupid questions for serious times !/Ed

charlie b
02-26-2022, 07:29 PM
Nothing.

Not getting all worked up over nothing.

dverna
02-26-2022, 08:40 PM

Well you are half right....the question is not stupid.

cwtebay
02-27-2022, 10:01 AM

I put together the lower that has been awaiting my attention to match with a 6.5 Grendel upper. Tried it out on the nearby range today and it was jam-o-matic. Range officer who helped me unjam suggested a heavier buffer. So I guess I have trouble shooting this thing to distract me, heh. Once I get it running I will start on load development for it.Oh my gosh I just realized! Sorry, red dyed DIESEL FUEL (as several have said).
That would be a whole lot of dyeing to do!

Super Sneaky Steve
02-27-2022, 11:03 AM
I've been buying Russian steel case 223 Rem and 762x39. Usually I shoot reloads but I don't want to use up my primer stash. Russian ammo should dry up because of sanctions so the price can only go up.

atr
02-27-2022, 11:38 AM
nothing....except saving my money and limiting my expenses

gwpercle
02-27-2022, 11:55 AM
What I'm NOT buying is all the excuses the left is throwing out ... It's All Donald Trump's Fault !

No I'm sorry ...I'm not an idiot , when he was president Russia , N. Korea or China invaded no one .
We were energy independant , we weren't buying oil from Russia (how stupid is that ?) , gas and heating oil prices were low , inflation was non existant , my grocery bill was a lot lower .
I bought ground meat , reduced on Sale ... $5.99 a pound ... that's not right Joe .
Crime and killings are at a all time high and criminals walk free ...that's not right either
I'm retired on a fixed incom and you are breaking my back ... let's go Joe ...Help Us Honest God Fearing American Citizens ...
I'm no fool ...It's not Donald Trump's Fault ... you are calling the shots , you are doing this to me.
Don't forget Joe ... I vote .
Gary

AndyC
02-27-2022, 05:55 PM
I bought ground meat , reduced on Sale ... $5.99 a pound ...
I find chuck beef from time to time at 3.99/lb - so I buy a number of lbs of that and cube maybe half of it for stews and grind up the other half for hamburger meat. Saves a little money - I'm not particularly frugal but I enjoy that aspect of investing a little work.

dverna
02-27-2022, 08:42 PM
Oh my gosh I just realized! Sorry, red dyed DIESEL FUEL (as several have said).
That would be a whole lot of dyeing to do!

I cannot even imagine 25k gallons of off road diesel. I go through 100 gallons a year on my little 40 HP Tonka Toy tractor.

yetavon
03-01-2022, 10:36 AM
I'm trying NOT to buy a FRT-15 Trigger... Wifes already voiced her opinion... Lost the "Beg for forgiveness" option.
Wife is a bargain hunter, sent me to the local chain store for cans of beans $.44 a can.. half dozen each of 6 kinds.

JoeJames
03-01-2022, 12:03 PM
Local gun shop is still pretty much out of reloading components, but I'm in tolerable shape. I did find a bottle of Lee Liquid Alox there, and bought it; was getting kind of low on it.

todd9.3x57
03-01-2022, 12:38 PM
i bought a couple of pounds of imr4895 about a month ago. i'm getting low on 2400.

Scrounge
03-01-2022, 01:04 PM

You don't have to tell all you know. Some folks have never even thought about this stuff, and are just now getting a clue. Give them a few scraps, at least. Buy some shelf-stable groceries in rodent-proof containers, for example. Get a pellet gun and pellets for keeping the rodent population down. Maybe some recipes for rat and other rodents. Saw the movie King Rat when I was young. Read the book a few years later, it's better about hints on keeping rats for a food source. Though I prefer rabbits. 2nd stepfather expected Armageddon any minute now, back then in 1965, and was apparently not expecting to be Raptured. Was teaching my little brother and me to be his squad in the wars to come. Bought us BB guns and hunting knives and taught us some of how to use them. I still have my knife. Or maybe it's the brother's knife. Big proponent of Dallas Roquemore's "Get Thee Up Into The High Mountain" book on survival. Amazon has it, very used, and for a stupidly high price. I got my copy some years ago for about $20. There are better referenced these days, but it's not a waste of time to read if you can find it for a reasonable price.

Wife does want to go out and buy some more shelf-stable foods. A real crash will end her life, since she's so sick and dependent on medications and supplemental oxygen. We do what we can, and otherwise don't sweat it. I didn't expect to make 30, but if I hang on for a couple more months I'll be 67.

Bill

MT Gianni
03-01-2022, 01:35 PM
Tomato paste, beans, rice, flour and sugar. Jello, pasta, powdered milk, and a few spices. Most don't hold their oils and flavor long enough for long term storage.

JoeJames
03-01-2022, 01:39 PM
" 2nd stepfather expected Armageddon any minute now, back then in 1965, and was apparently not expecting to be Raptured." Now that is very good writing. I'm 70 and I was raised to appreciate it.

Green Frog
03-01-2022, 02:15 PM
Right now I’m at the “consolidate my holdings” and sell off anything I “know” will be “of no use to me” state of mind. Since making that “useful” call is tough, I’m proceeding pretty slowly with this latter. I do have the luxury of an abundance of casting and loading supplies in a historic backlog, so I can shoot pretty much whatever I want whenever I want. Being a curmudgeonly oldster may indeed have its advantages! ;)

Froggie

BadgerShooter
03-01-2022, 03:21 PM
We have always had large gardens. Picked up a Freeze Dryer about a year ago. They are expensive and a bit slow, but they do an awesome job of long term preservation with a very high retention of nutrition. It pretty much runs constantly and the food quality and taste when we use the stuff is great. We didn't pick it up for armageddon, it was a better way to preserve what we produced.