PDA

View Full Version : Bought some silver last week.

Cosmic_Charlie
02-24-2022, 06:40 PM
10 1 oz. Krugerrands. I prefer minted coins as opposed to rounds or bars. Used to buy Maple leafs but i'm soured on Canada lately. Anyway, with the geopolitical situation i figured the price of Silver would have gone up. Nope, it's down today. Go figure.....

marlin39a
02-24-2022, 07:10 PM
Both gold and silver were up this morning, and both headed down. Silver now at 24.40, gold at 1914.52.

FISH4BUGS
02-24-2022, 07:58 PM
I have been buying silver and gold for a few years now. I try to watch for a dip and buy some more.
I agree it is probably better to buy coins, not rounds. Rounds are too easy to fake.
I like the Silver eagles but hate paying a $10 premium or more for the same silver that is in Kruggerrands and Maple Leafs.....but I do it on occasion. I guess if the SHTF, people will be more prone to go with the Eagles.
They are harder to fake I guess.
If you buy a tube of 25 when you can afford it, just put it in the safe and forget about it.
Someday you will not regret it.
I buy mostly from JM Bullion, and never have had a hiccup. Good service, good communication, always delivers.
Today, I watched it open at something like up 85 cents but it settled down.
I am watching for the next dip to buy more.
I actually called the bottom once and bought a bunch....I'm not that lucky every time but I have a target price in mind and if it hits that price, I buy.
It is all a crap shoot to call the bottom. Win some, lose some.

Handloader109
02-25-2022, 11:54 AM
Silver hasn't really gone up in years. Commercials all the time touting $100 silver price. Sure. Gold has gone up some, but really not that much. Buy if you want to hold it, not for investment purposes

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Cosmic_Charlie
02-25-2022, 12:43 PM
Silver hasn't really gone up in years. Commercials all the time touting $100 silver price. Sure. Gold has gone up some, but really not that much. Buy if you want to hold it, not for investment purposes

I do not buy it for investment. More like my ammo stash that may come in handy at some point. The last time i bought some it was at approx $17 spot price. Got silver eagles. And the first time i bought back around 1999 it was under $5.

bangerjim
02-25-2022, 01:01 PM
I own a lot of gold and silver - in US minted coins - mainly excellent to uncirculated $20 St Gaudens coins. Beautiful coins! Hard to find $5 and $10 US old gold pieces in that condition because many people used them every day in circulation - rarely the $20 - too much money for most people to have a one time! Also, old US silver half dollars. You can buy them from dealers by the bag since silver is so inexpensive.

I invest my precious metals money in US coins only. Not ANY foreign coins. And not those silly bullion coins all over TV.

Silver has been pretty much dead flat for many years! Gold has gone up very recently, but nowhere near the hype the TV metal mongers tout in every commercial break!

Invest in what you feel comfortable with. The "experts" say you should have at least 10-15% of your worth in precious metals (not lead!). I agree.

kerplode
02-25-2022, 02:46 PM
I have some silver, but not a lot. I'm not really into "investing" in precious metals, and the "store of wealth" argument just doesn't hold up. Inflation is skyrocketing...PMs are flat and have been for years. Be better off investing your 15% net worth in real estate, honestly. Gold looks like dead money more each day. Even more so when you add in all the middlemen taking a cut on both the buy and sell sides plus the sales and 28% collectables cap gains taxes. There's no way you can buy gold now and sell it later for an inflation-adjusted profit. It's just not going to happen.

But you do you. If it makes you sleep well at night to have a a little silver or gold, or even a Scrooge McDuck sized pile of coins to swim around in, who am I to judge...

I do want to grab a silver Krugerrand sometime, though...Beautiful coins!

MaryB
02-25-2022, 02:55 PM
Old US junk silver coins, 50 cent pieces, quarters, dimes... I have a stash of them. SHTF a quarter will be like a $5 bill for trade purposes...

Gator 45/70
02-25-2022, 03:18 PM
Old US junk silver coins, 50 cent pieces, quarters, dimes... I have a stash of them. SHTF a quarter will be like a $5 bill for trade purposes...

Well maybe? There's always a slickester out there that thinks he can give you face value, But the wise person will walk away, I think your such a person!

bangerjim
02-25-2022, 03:19 PM
Yes, old silver US minted half dollars are still worth 50¢ face value. Foreign coins......not so easy to use. Gold (coins or bullion) is for pure investment. You cannot spend it for food or supplies. You must cash it in with a gold monger to get greenbacks to spend. It is just a hedge. I do not ever plan on cashing mine in, unless in an emergency. It will make a good liner for my coffin!

GregLaROCHE
02-25-2022, 05:34 PM
Silver never seems to do much. Everyone is into gold.

Cosmic_Charlie
02-25-2022, 05:55 PM
The threat of hyper inflation has never been greater. Minted PM coin will be good to have should that come to pass. And it is indeed a hedge.

ShooterAZ
02-25-2022, 07:02 PM
I get all my silver coins with my metal detector. I've been doing it for over 35 years and have a couple of large coffee cans full of silver coins. My bucket lister is still the ever elusive gold coin...maybe some day before take my dirt nap.

MaryB
02-26-2022, 03:22 PM
1/10th oz US gold coins would work for larger purchases since one is worth ~$200...

bangerjim
02-26-2022, 06:18 PM
1/10th oz US gold coins would work for larger purchases since one is worth ~$200...

The problem is..........these days no store anywhere is set up to accept US gold coins! Clerks could not tell real gold from fake gold-plated brass ones. There is no functionality in our modern monetary system to accept REAL gold coins. Only way to get the value would be thru a gold monger.

On the other hand, old REAL silver US coins would still be worth at least face value......... + more if you are lucky.

Let's just hope we never have to test that out!!!!!!!!

Handloader109
02-26-2022, 06:43 PM
Oh, it's not like I don't have any, I've got some silver and old coin silver. But It won't be worth much. For those SHTF folks, who are you going to trade it with? 90% of the population doesn't know silver from the scrap metal in use today. Better to use to keep as large a stock of food and TP on hand as you can. And for that matter water. But both silver and gold sure is pretty

rancher1913
02-26-2022, 10:22 PM
The problem is..........these days no store anywhere is set up to accept US gold coins! Clerks could not tell real gold from fake gold-plated brass ones. There is no functionality in our modern monetary system to accept REAL gold coins. Only way to get the value would be thru a gold monger.

On the other hand, old REAL silver US coins would still be worth at least face value......... + more if you are lucky.

Let's just hope we never have to test that out!!!!!!!!

when the time comes, there will be plenty of places that will accept pm's, and only pm's.

Huskerguy
02-27-2022, 10:49 AM
What happens when the US goes, and it will, to a digital currency? No more physical money. The assumption is we will have some time to turn in all our cash. Where will silver and gold fit into that? I can't envision having silver and taking it to the grocery store. Sell it and it turns into electronic money?

farmbif
02-27-2022, 11:11 AM
it used to be that the graded silver coins in the plastic cases were pretty much only worth scrap price but I'm not sure bout this but it seems with so much interest the value of those graded coins might be worth more these days. it gets pretty complicated real quick

unclemikeinct
02-27-2022, 11:31 AM

Good 4 U MaryB. I used to buy & sell the stuff. People would always ask the same questions. Same on here. It is not an investment. Silver [& to some extent Gold] are just insurance, if money [fed. reserve notes] [Banking system] goes belly up. Think of a 90% silver dime as trade for a loaf of bread. a silver quarter = a gallon of gas. A silver half dollar = a decent steak. All that is just more or less a rough guide. I'd never let anyone go all in on precious metals. 5% of ones net worth is a lot of insurance. Sometimes/somedays you might wish you had more but life skills & diversity of all asset classes will serve you all better. uncle mike

unclemikeinct
02-27-2022, 11:35 AM
Ps. you need just under #3 [$1.40] of the old Silver half dollars to equal one oz of fine silver. One dollar face value of the old Constitutional stuff contains .715 of an oz of fine silver.

jimlj
02-27-2022, 12:11 PM
Where can one buy “junk” silver in bulk? I wouldn’t mind getting about $10,000 worth, but I’m skeptical of doing it on line.

bangerjim
02-27-2022, 12:23 PM
Where can one buy “junk” silver in bulk? I wouldn’t mind getting about $10,000 worth, but I’m skeptical of doing it on line.

Go to any of the certified precious metal dealers you see on FOX, NEWSMAX. and others. I bought mine from one of those, but I cannot remember which one, as I delt with3 different houses. Make sure you are buying old solid silver US coins, not bulk 1 oz silver coin bullion coins they mint new by non-US mints. Old US coins, especially half dollars (pre-1965) actually are worth more at 90% silver than 99.9% bullion coins per troy ounce.
And you can still spend them at face value if you have to!

Here is a chart of % silver of coins:

https://collectuscoins.com/silver-content-of-us-coins

banger

kerplode
02-27-2022, 02:22 PM
For some perspective, here's how PMs worked during an actual financial SHTF scenario:
http://ferfal.blogspot.com/2015/06/what-to-do-with-goldsilver.html

MaryB
02-27-2022, 03:14 PM

APMEX, Gainsville Coins are 2 I have bought from. $1,000 face(means $1,000 in coins) bag https://www.apmex.com/product/24/90-silver-coins-1-000-face-value-bag $21,000

MaryB
02-27-2022, 03:15 PM
Ps. you need just under #3 [$1.40] of the old Silver half dollars to equal one oz of fine silver. One dollar face value of the old Constitutional stuff contains .715 of an oz of fine silver.

Except silver dollars, .7734 for them

MaryB
02-27-2022, 03:22 PM
For some perspective, here's how PMs worked during an actual financial SHTF scenario:
http://ferfal.blogspot.com/2015/06/what-to-do-with-goldsilver.html

Grocery store here(used to, they closed) takes gold and silver, as does the co-op gas station when paying the monthly bill. So easy to know what spot is these days, I have an app on my phone! They all go by spot -2% to cover their handling costs. Unless you have an exceptionally clean coin with little wear, that they look up and see what it would go for slabbed and subtract 15%(cost to get it slabbed AKA put in a sealed plastic container with professional grading done). They ff slabbed coins for sale at the co-op to town residents only, no out of town buyers. Basically barter...

kerplode
02-27-2022, 03:40 PM
That's pretty cool...I think you're pretty lucky to have that option.

Around here, the only options would be to spend junk silver at face or sell the other PMs to a pawn shop at a ridiculous loss then use the cash to buy what you need similar to what went down in Argentina.

To be honest, I think the most likely outcome of trying to barter with PMs during a for-real (i.e. a non-prepper-fantasy-land) TEOTWAWKI/SHTF scenario in the US would be them taking your gold after you got their lead for free...

Rapier
02-27-2022, 04:25 PM
About all I can afford is lead…..

hoodat
02-27-2022, 06:53 PM
I've got quite a bit of silver (mostly rounds) that I've bought from Apmex over the years, and got to thinking about the counterfeit danger.

Testing the veracity of silver isn't exactly rocket science, and any one of us who has the skill to reload ammo, and cast bullets can do it.. Also, anyone who might be in the business of buying, selling, silver would likely have one of the SIGMA machines that can easily do the test.

I'd say that in a SHTF scenario, our silver or gold would be a easily liquid asset -- specially when compared to a collapsed or horribly deflated dollar. jd

Gator 45/70
02-27-2022, 08:25 PM
The man with a dozen chickens and a rooster will own all your silver in the end.