PDA

View Full Version : Well I lost my job today

Texas Gun
02-24-2022, 11:54 AM
Well hello all sorry to say I lost my job today boss man doesn’t want me to carry I’ve been there for seven years carried every day and they said that I can’t carry no more so I lost my job how do you think I should go about selling my reload equipment because I’m gonna need some money

DougGuy
02-24-2022, 11:59 AM
Don't sell it! Put an ad in Marketplace or Craigslist teaching reloading! As many new gun owners as we have I am sure quite a few of them would like to learn how to save money on ammo!

dannyd
02-24-2022, 11:59 AM
Well hello all sorry to say I lost my job today boss man doesn’t want me to carry I’ve been there for seven years carried every day and they said that I can’t carry no more so I lost my job how do you think I should go about selling my reload equipment because I’m gonna need some money

Why did you have carry on your job?

centershot
02-24-2022, 12:08 PM
Well, if they tell you that you can't carry, then you leave the gun in your car! There aren't many of us who can carry at work! Given the choice to have a job or not, I'd leave my gun in my car, and have for a number of years before I retired. You may want to seriously re-think your priorities on this one. During those years when I couldn't carry, I ALWAYS had a folding blade combat knife in my pocket and took classes in how to use it.

If you truly want to sell your gear, put an ad in the Swapping & Selling section. If it were me, I'd wait on that and look for new employment first.

Texas by God
02-24-2022, 12:10 PM
I see help wanted signs everywhere I go. Take being let go as a sign and move on. It’s their property; their rules. Strange how it took them 7 years to notice that you carried a handgun to work every day....

02-24-2022, 12:18 PM
Tough call. Not knowing your circumstance, my first thought would be to hold on to your reloading stuff. Who knows how difficult it will be to replace in the future. Might pare down to the essentials, but I'd keep what keeps your most useful gun running. As stated above, there are jobs available. I've had to work two and three at a time to make ends meet. Best of luck.

Daekar
02-24-2022, 12:18 PM
I am torn. Part of me wants to applaud him for standing by his principles and part of me wants to say that it's not a big deal... I have never been allowed to carry at a job and if I took that stance there are precious few places I could go to work.

If more of us were like the OP, things might be better than they are for personal rights.

I know a significant number of people who carry despite the rules. That requires being a hypocrite though, because you're not respecting the right of the owner to dictate what happens on their property.

remy3424
02-24-2022, 12:23 PM
What was your job that you feel (felt) you needed a gun on your person? What kind of neighborhood are you in? You might look into a new career, such as law enforcement, if you feel you must carry a firearm. Good luck. As mensioned, everyone seems to be hiring now...even the police.

Baltimoreed
02-24-2022, 12:26 PM
Sorry you lost your job, good ones are hard to find. I used to have firearms in my vehicle and occasionally when I got off work drive 5 miles down to the company’s rec center to use their 100 yd range but when 911 happened our waterfront [Pamlico River] plant sight security had to be upgraded [why?] and we needed civilian version of military id’s [TWIC], federal background checks, fences, cameras etc and no more firearms in the plant. I’m sure there were guns in vehicles but I never took that chance as they started doing vehicle searches at the main gate. My job and family’s future was more important to me.

Wayne Smith
02-24-2022, 12:33 PM
Don't sell it! Put an ad in Marketplace or Craigslist teaching reloading! As many new gun owners as we have I am sure quite a few of them would like to learn how to save money on ammo!

Let me double down on what Doug said. The NRA has online reloading training so you can be certified by them to teach. If you want to do this it is worth getting the certification. It's not only the factual information given but learning how to teach that is worth the effort.

rbuck351
02-24-2022, 01:12 PM
I worked as a correctional officer for 20 years. If I had brought a gun on the prison property even in the car in the parking lot, I would have been fired and would probably have been in jail. Before starting that job I had to sign several documents saying what I wouldn't do. Sometimes you have to do things you don't want to do for many different reasons. If you feel it is more important to carry at work than to work where you were, I wish you luck in finding employment where they allow carrying on the job.

gwpercle
02-24-2022, 01:26 PM
Do what I did .
I started my own business . I got along with the boss real well . I put up a sign in my office that advised concealed caryy was welcome . Any one who wanted to carry could .
You don't have to work for someone else . I found something people would pay me to do (draw plans for building houses) , they would come to me , tell me what they wanted and I would draw their plans for them .
I'm sure there is something you can do ...discover what it is and turn it into a paying proposition .
Never say ...I can't or say ... It's too hard ...you can do anything you want to .
Many days I got up at 3 AM to finish a plan for 9 AM ... you work hard when you are the boss ...
But I enjoyed every minute of it ... for 49 years I drew plans !
I'm retired now , 72 and by choice not forced out ... Very Important ... Do Not Sell Reloading Equiptment ...that's no way to raise money , you are just having a little setback ...that's life ...Things will get better and if you sell your stuff ...you'll spend a fortune trying to replace it ...and you will want it back ...probably sooner than later ...Have some faith in your self ...You Can Do It !!!

I just read the post on teaching reloading ...Bingo , that might be a big winner . Put together a portable loading kit (Lee Hand Press) and you could go to them and teach ...people love it when you come to them and will pay for the service .
Get NRA Certified and get the word out on web sites , flyers in gun shops ...gun stores will even pay to teach their customers how to use the new equiptment they are selling them ... They can have a reloading clinic at the gun store .... several ways of having lessonsand a personal instuctor is worth a dozen youtube video's with experts who dont know black powder from black colored smokeless powder ! I see new reloaders asking for "mentors" in their area ...that's a teacher / instructor ...
Have Reloading Press ... Will Travel
Call Texas Gun .... Your phone # / website
Gary

BJK
02-24-2022, 01:43 PM
The company I worked for enacted a no firearms on site policy. Why? Because upper management knew the way they were about to screw over the workers wouldn't be popular and they wanted to remain alive. I'd been carrying in my vehicle for years before that so I ignored their policy. The way I saw it it wasn't on their land, it was in my car and I had to get to and from. They weren't providing security to every employee during the commute.

They stated that they had the power to search vehicles. In such case I had the power to open my car for them, enter it and drive off. It never happened.

It was a lousy company that paid OK at one time. It's a much lousier company now, we had work and contract issues and they still treat their workers like something you step in and scrape off the bottom of your shoe. It's SAPPI in Skowhegan, Maine. Terrible place to work. I had a coworker who would say, "If my kids wanted to work here I'd kill them to save them the misery!".

MT Gianni
02-24-2022, 01:45 PM
The owner thinks he has a safe workplace, evidently you don't. Your continuing to carry there, amounts to telling him he is a fool every time you see him. If it is known that you carry a gun at work his insurance rates probably quintuple. In today's environment probably the only place you can legally carry at work is self employment or an LEO. You have already shown the boss you won't do what he asks so say goodbye to a reference.

Eddie Southgate
02-24-2022, 01:55 PM

I'd recommend going back and asking the boss man for my old job back and leave the gun in the car . I have had jobs where I was allowed to carry , jobs where I carried because nobody said I couldn't , and a job where it was strictly against the rules . I carried where allowed and left it in the car where I wasn't allowed . I hate it as much as the next person but sometime you just need to follow the rules . Beats being broke and having to sell off my stuff .

Texas Gun
02-24-2022, 01:56 PM
Some cemetery workers got shot a few years ago and then we get threats all the time

Texas Gun
02-24-2022, 01:58 PM
I think they were looking for a reason to get rid of me of me and they don’t own the property the state of Texas owns the property a Board of Directors runs it it’s a cemetery

farmbif
02-24-2022, 02:00 PM
stuff happens. I guess what it comes down to. is if that job isa gone for you forever then what are you gonna do chit chat with us old retired pharts online or go out and get yourself another job. its not how many times you get knocked down in life that's important its how many times you get back up and get busy. kind of like boxing or football, if you get knocked down are you just gonna lay there on the floor or you gonna get back up and give it all you got to fight the good fight.

Texas Gun
02-24-2022, 02:07 PM
Part of my problem is that I was home schooled I don’t have a GED or high school diploma jobs I can hold are very limited but I’m looking at going for my GED .
I was a backhoe operator for a cemetery and a funeral worker ..
just south of here 2 cemetery workers were shot one was killed and we’ve been threatened several times and have to deal with families threatening families and fights at funerals and we’ve done a few gangbanger funerals where I stood behind a tree the whole time . Believe it or not but there was a guy killed just outside our fence he was gone down drive-by and there was a drug dealer that drove his car in to our fence and proceeded to run and drop a bag with a 9 mm handgun in it stuff like this happens around our cemetery all the time

Texas Gun
02-24-2022, 02:17 PM
That’s cool I never knew about that I’m part of the NRA so I’m gonna look into this

Texas Gun
02-24-2022, 02:18 PM
Let me double down on what Doug said. The NRA has online reloading training so you can be certified by them to teach. If you want to do this it is worth getting the certification. It's not only the factual information given but learning how to teach that is worth the effort.

That’s cool I’m part of the NRA I never knew this I’ll look into this because I’d like to be certified in this

30calflash
02-24-2022, 02:23 PM
Sorry you lost the job but jobs can be had when you're in fair health. Like not after a run in where a sidearm would have helped but wasn't there.

So, I applaud your decision. I carry daily and started when a former business owner lost his mind, literally, and had to go on scrips to be moderately sane. He would stop every few weeks and be nuts if things got out of kilter. I figured he would be the one I needed protection from when he blew a gasket. Nothing came of it and I left that position 20 yrs ago.

I typically leave my long gun in the car tho. :-)

metricmonkeywrench
02-24-2022, 02:27 PM
As a Gobmt flunky the inability to carry on the bases and installations has been a fact of life and a long term disussion point. We simply comply and move on.

Ickisrulz
02-24-2022, 02:28 PM
I would have gotten a smaller gun for deep concealment. Maybe one of those "underwear guns" like Archer uses.

Scrounge
02-24-2022, 02:34 PM
I am torn. Part of me wants to applaud him for standing by his principles and part of me wants to say that it's not a big deal... I have never been allowed to carry at a job and if I took that stance there are precious few places I could go to work.

If more of us were like the OP, things might be better than they are for personal rights.

I know a significant number of people who carry despite the rules. That requires being a hypocrite though, because you're not respecting the right of the owner to dictate what happens on their property.

Way I look at it that the property owner is not recognizing your right to self-defense. Only place I don't carry something is to the class I go to two nights a week. They high school students there, so I don't take weapons. I do have several other tools, and bits and pieces of metal, however. Knives stay in the car, though that is not strictly speaking legal, either. I don't usually carry a gun because I don't have a CCL. Yet.

Bill

Char-Gar
02-24-2022, 02:41 PM
There is a very old legal principal called "respondeat superior" which simply means that the employer is legally and financially responsible for the torts (wrongs) committed by an employee in the course and scope of their employment. This is good law in Texas.

Can an employer take the risk of allowing employees tote handguns at work when the employer is responsible for anything that might happen with that gun? Will his/her insurance company still cover the business under those circumstances?

Ickisrulz
02-24-2022, 02:41 PM
Way I look at it that the property owner is not recognizing your right to self-defense. Only place I don't carry something is to the class I go to two nights a week. They high school students there, so I don't take weapons. I do have several other tools, and bits and pieces of metal, however. Knives stay in the car, though that is not strictly speaking legal, either. I don't usually carry a gun because I don't have a CCL. Yet.

Bill

If you live in Oklahoma, you don't need a license to carry.

Char-Gar
02-24-2022, 02:48 PM

Bill

Under no reading of the law or the Constitution does a person have a right to do whatever they want on the private property of another. Try cussing out the boss and calling it your right of free speech. When you go on private property you are there by some kind of invitations and there are different types of invitations and each one has limits. Go without an invitation and you are a trespasser. If you work for somebody you play by their rules or find work elsewhere.

Char-Gar
02-24-2022, 02:50 PM
You don't need a license to carry in Texas either, but a property owner has the right to say who can or can't carry on their property.

Baltimoreed
02-24-2022, 02:51 PM
My wife who taught 8 grade English worked with a big time deer hunter who taught science/gym I think. He would get up early, go to his favorite spot, if he shot a deer, he would drop it off with a guy who would clean it. He would then go to school, change and when the school day was over would pick up his iced down processed deer on the way home. Paid the guy with deer meat. To get around the ‘no guns on school property’ laws he always parked his pickup across the street in the grassy Lions parking lot. A pretty good hunting system.

uscra112, Talking rural NC, afaik he never had a problem. But I would agree with you 100% if he was in town.

uscra112
02-24-2022, 02:52 PM
Leaving a gun in a car while at work is a non-starter. Cars are where thieves go to steal guns.

dverna
02-24-2022, 02:59 PM
You have no right to carry if a company or business decides that is what they want. I wish people could grasp that.

Anyway, I suspect your employer had other reasons to let you go, and I understand if you not sharing that information. If I am wrong, and they want you back, apologize and get your old job back. Start looking for another job if carrying is important to you.

There are plenty of jobs that do not require a GED. I know a few guys who work concrete. Pay is not bad and on state highway jobs they make $40/hr.

Good luck!

DocSavage
02-24-2022, 03:14 PM
There are times where you have to decide which tastes better,shredded wheat or shredded cardboard. As others have stated if you work for someone,Govt agency etc you're bound by their rules. They don't know you from a hole in wall as far as they know you could be the next Son of Sam.

farmbif
02-24-2022, 03:37 PM
forget son of sam. the BTK killer was one of the worst, for goodness sake the guy was president of the church congregation, taunted the cops for decades and cold blooded murdered a whole bunch of people including women and children for no good reason.

regardless. how you say in Texas, you get bucked off you get back on that horse.

I can only speak for my own self. yeah It wasn't all peaches and cream growing up. I never actually finished high school and had to get my GED. but then I worked my way through school, 4 years night school in mechanics 2 years welding and metal fab school while working full time every day. then worked my way through to a college degree working every kind of job I could to pay the bills. and at same time going out to the farm to help out my folks on weekends and holidays.
then once out of school worked one job turning wrenches from 7-noon then go to the corporate job from 1-10. then eventually built my own repair business while keeping the corporate job.

country gent
02-24-2022, 03:40 PM
Most dont quit or force an employer to fire them with out a new job lined up. My sin learned this the hard way.
In Ohio when all the requirements are met home schooled are given a certificate / diploma. Weather in school or home schooled there is a test all take to graduate.
Every where I worked weapons were not allowed on company property. Most over looked the parking lots. But Pushed into a corner they have to maintain the rules. Bars some restaurants gathering over a certain size and others dont allow carry either.

Winger Ed.
02-24-2022, 03:42 PM
Sorry to hear that.

As a stop gap measure, its pretty easy to get unemployment benefits in Texas.
I'd work on and get a GED too. Education is the key that will open many doors to new opportunities.

If you're checked out on operating heavy equipment:
Are willing to move, don't have to check in with a parole officer once a week, and can pass a drug test--
getting a new job in that field shouldn't be a problem.

It might be hard to do right now- But like those self improvement courses will tell ya:
Look to the future of where you want to be in 1, 3, and 5 years.

Look for career changing options.
Check out various grant programs for trade schools such as for HVAC, welders, electricians,
and maybe driving heavy trucks.

A life long friend was a career Master Plumber, after he got burned out on that, at age 53,
went to a truck driving school over 10 years ago, got his license,
and is now doing the higher paying loads on cross country routes carrying HAZMAT stuff and meat.
He leases his own truck, takes the higher paying routes and cargos that most drivers won't.

I met another guy one time that got a SBA loan and got his own truck, trailer, and Case 580 back hoe.
He subcontracted out to all the smaller contractors that needed one for a project,
but didn't need one often enough to buy or rent their own.

fixit
02-24-2022, 03:48 PM
As far as limitations from no diploma or GED, if you are home schooled, I have no doubt you should be able to pass a GED without much prep, , so I would highly recommend you get one! It will definitely make your life easier from the standpoint of job acquisition! I'll also chime in on working for yourself.....if I lost my job, I'd tell everyone that I do work for now to tell everyone you know, I'm in business full time..... I'd be very busy, very quickly! Main reason I don't do that now is benefits and retirement plan, which is pretty sweet with my company.

Wayne Smith
02-24-2022, 03:51 PM
There is a very old legal principal called "respondeat superior" which simply means that the employer is legally and financially responsible for the torts (wrongs) committed by an employee in the course and scope of their employment. This is good law in Texas.

Can an employer take the risk of allowing employees tote handguns at work when the employer is responsible for anything that might happen with that gun? Will his/her insurance company still cover the business under those circumstances?

He states that the State of Texas is the property owner. A board of directors is making this decision. Does that change anything?

3584ELK
02-24-2022, 04:08 PM
As a Gobmt flunky the inability to carry on the bases and installations has been a fact of life and a long term disussion point. We simply comply and move on.

Same position here, but I would not throw away my position so I could carry a pistol at work. Besides, I telework now and I can carry whatever/ whenever I damned well please.

It's always about choices.

I am sure Texas Gun can easily find a new job with higher pay. I dont have a college education, either- I would guess most of us don't.

RE: reloading equipment values...The owner of Huntington Die Specialties told me that special order dies were going for $300 to $500 per set. WOW!

NSB
02-24-2022, 04:09 PM
Did your boss tell you that you lost your job or are you saying you quit your job because they wouldn’t let you carry? If you quit as a matter of principle, you didn’t lose your job, you quit your job. When you are at work you’re on someone else’s property. You have to go with their rules. Most responses here point that out. I carry every day where I’m allowed to carry. I didn’t carry at work because it was against the rules and I was obligated to follow my employer’s rules. It was up to me whether or not I wanted to work there under their rules while on their property.

Winger Ed.
02-24-2022, 04:18 PM
He states that the State of Texas is the property owner. A board of directors is making this decision. Does that change anything?

Nah. If anything, it would make the company harder to sue and get anything from since the land isn't one of their assets.
Trying to put a lien on state owned land falls somewhere on a line between- a fool's errand, and 'it just ain't going to happen'.

tinsnips
02-24-2022, 04:19 PM
You have skill a backhole operator who cares about your high school or lack of. If you are good as an operator you will find a better job. My good friend lost his job I told him the same thing he did find alot better job. Keep the faith and good luck.

farmbif
02-24-2022, 04:21 PM
or you could join marines or army. they pay you to carry gun

tudor8055
02-24-2022, 04:29 PM
I have owned a truck repair for 20 years. For the first 14 years of that I leased a space. It was stated in the lease that there were to be no firearms or animals on the property. I'm sure the landlord had
those clauses in the lease for insurance purposes as he and I would shoot on the property on a regular basis, we even set up an indoor range for 22s. Some of my employees would keep a gun in their car or put it in their toolbox. I would not allow them carry a gun or phone on their person while working as it would get in the way.
One year during a business insurance audit interview I was asked what my company policy was on guns . The question took me by surprise and I said " oh no I'm not going to supply them a gun, if they want a gun they'll have to bring their own". Nothing ever came of it with the insurance company so I guess that's my policy.

MrWolf
02-24-2022, 05:08 PM
As a few others stated, if you can run equipment then you should have no problems getting work in construction. Good luck.

Scrounge
02-24-2022, 05:30 PM
If you live in Oklahoma, you don't need a license to carry.

If you want to walk around with a gun on your belt where everyone can see it, that is true. I go to some trouble to make sure no one in my neighborhood knows I have guns. My next-door neighbors are ex-cons. Supposedly ex-drug users. You think I should bet on that? I sure don't. Much of my neighborhood is Section 8 housing, as well. The place the helicopters orbit most weekend nights are about 250' from my street. I want it to be a big surprise to anyone who decides to bother me or the few good folks I know are my neighbors. Heck, even the ex-cons don't behave badly where anyone can see them. Maybe not at all.

So long as a license to carry concealed is legally required here, and I don't have such a license, I won't carry a gun. OTH, I'm not under the misapprehension that only guns are weapons. Except when I'm at school, I have usually more then two knives on my person. A metal-bodied ballpoint pen. Don't know if I mentioned the pieces of metal and tools here or elsewhere. ;) As long as I'm not bare naked I am armed. A rolled newspaper or magazine can be a lethal weapon if you know how to use it. If all else fails, I have rocks and sticks in my yard. They've been weapons at least since Cain slew Abel.

I'm also old enough and tired enough and sore enough that I don't fight for fun anymore. I won't start a fight.

Bill

Winger Ed.
02-24-2022, 06:17 PM
I'm also old enough and tired enough and sore enough that I don't fight for fun anymore. I won't start a fight.

This reminds me of an event at a traffic light in Dallas.
On slick streets, an old fella slid down and tapped a truck in front of him.
A big husky fella got out, and came back to get satisfaction.
When the guy tapped on the car window with a baseball bat--- the old man shot him dead.

Over the years, I've sometimes had to tell young folks,
"Don't pick a fight with old people. When they realize they can't win, they might just kill you".

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-24-2022, 06:17 PM
Every time I lost a job or quit a job, there was always a better one to come along.
EVERYTIME !

Time to move on, and likely move up $

Lots of $20 per hour jobs in Minnesota, even more money if you like Metro areas.

Cosmic_Charlie
02-24-2022, 06:31 PM
I carry a smith model 60 in a shoulder holster. Was at the courthouse a couple years back and they had posted cops just inside the door. One noticed my benchmade knife in my pocket and i had to leave it with them while I paid my property taxes. Thought it better not to mention the model 60 in the shoulder holster. I did have a permit to carry though.

lightman
02-24-2022, 06:31 PM
I'm sorry to hear that you had to make this decision. But you know the saying, their house their rules.

To answer your question about selling your reloading equipment, consider selling it here through the swapping and selling section. Read the rules concerning selling and read a few pages of the for sale stuff to get ideas on prices and wording.

I have a couple of comments. If you enjoyed operating a backhoe and were pretty good with it consider seeking employment with a utility company or contractor. Gas company, water company, even an electric company. Or with one of the larger contractors that often work for them. Is there any oil and gas pipeline work going on where you are? Think equipment operator.

If you were tired of the backhoe consider another career. Law enforcement was mentioned. Truck drivers are in demand right now. It seems as if everyone needs help nowadays, just keep your eyes open.

Good Luck to you.

warren5421
02-24-2022, 06:51 PM
I started carrying at about 8 am now 76. Only time I didn't carry my pistol was in the Navy I carried theirs. I have worked office jobs after leaving the Navy most had no guns in office. I always carried as there is always a better job just down the street. There is no need for management to see a gun or anyone at work know you carry. I live in Indiana where work can't stop guns in car in their parking lot just in their offices.

BJK
02-24-2022, 07:00 PM
Home schooled folks are sharper than folks who went through the go'vermin indoctrination many times from what I've seen. Yes, get your GED. I bet you can still critically think and process actual data. You could also work for a contractor as an operator if no GED.

By the way, before someone takes me to task, I went through the go'vermin indoctrination, but it was a bit different 60 years ago.

ShooterAZ
02-24-2022, 07:05 PM
At my last job before I finally retired, I had a 3" S&W Model 10 stashed in my desk drawer for nearly 20 years. They had recently implemented a no firearms policy, and when I confessed about my gun he said I could keep it in my vehicle. I would suggest to the OP to not sell all of your casting & reloading equipment! When one door closes, another one always opens. That's how it's been for me anyway, all of my entire life.

Scrounge
02-24-2022, 07:07 PM
This reminds me of an event at a traffic light in Dallas.
On slick streets, an old fella slid down and tapped a truck in front of him.
A big husky fella got out, and came back to get satisfaction.
When the guy tapped on the car window with a baseball bat--- the old man shot him dead.

Over the years, I've sometimes had to tell young folks,
"Don't pick a fight with old people. When they realize they can't win, they might just kill you".

Twenty-some years ago, I worked as a teacher's assistant at the local high school for almost 5 years in their in-school restriction classroom. Just me and up to 30 kids in trouble. I stopped a couple of fights by just getting in their way, and telling them that if they hit me, I wasn't worried about losing my job, and would hit them back. One kid asked what would happen if a bunch of them jumped me. I said I'd likely wind up in the hospital, but I wouldn't be the only one. The one time outside of school that someone threatened me, I said I wasn't going to start a fight, but if he started it, it would be over when one or both of us was dead. I'm not a very big guy, though I'm not tiny, either. I think he believed me because I didn't have to prove it.

I was short and fat in elementary school, and had been picked on. And one day I stopped it. I wound up in the principles office more than once. High school wasn't as much of a problem until my family moved to western Colorado from outside LA. Some of the farm boys though they had something to prove, and kept starting fights. One of them had a little brother, about the same age as my little brother, and they fought a couple of times, too. I got beat up a few times, but I was giving as good as I got, and not giving up. The one guy quit picking on me, and the last time we ran into each other after I left home, we stood there in the bank and talked for nearly an hour. His buddy, the one who'd been instigating, tried to start something at a party that he'd invited me to, and I told him to shut up, no one cared what he thought, and went back to my conversation with some of the young ladies I'd gone to school with there. That was it. And that was about 46 or 47 years ago. I used to like arguing and fussing, but that has gone away as I grew up. Probably not a good idea to get me riled up again, so I try to avoid such things. What's the redneck motto? "Leave me alone to do my thing, and I'll leave you alone to do yours." That is about all there is to say about me anymore.

Bill

Edward
02-24-2022, 07:07 PM
What was your job that you feel (felt) you needed a gun on your person? What kind of neighborhood are you in? You might look into a new career, such as law enforcement, if you feel you must carry a firearm. Good luck. As mensioned, everyone seems to be hiring now...even the police.

Same reason I need a seat belt ,I do not plan on crashing but I use one because ! With guns it is not a government gift but a natural right and employers can dictate but you can leave for a safer environment , not being a cop cause they aren't safe
( to many rules by desk jockeys ) politicians! The jobs are there you just have to get out and look !/Ed

Ickisrulz
02-24-2022, 07:08 PM
If you want to walk around with a gun on your belt where everyone can see it, that is true. I go to some trouble to make sure no one in my neighborhood knows I have guns. My next-door neighbors are ex-cons. Supposedly ex-drug users. You think I should bet on that? I sure don't. Much of my neighborhood is Section 8 housing, as well. The place the helicopters orbit most weekend nights are about 250' from my street. I want it to be a big surprise to anyone who decides to bother me or the few good folks I know are my neighbors. Heck, even the ex-cons don't behave badly where anyone can see them. Maybe not at all.

So long as a license to carry concealed is legally required here, and I don't have such a license, I won't carry a gun. OTH, I'm not under the misapprehension that only guns are weapons. Except when I'm at school, I have usually more then two knives on my person. A metal-bodied ballpoint pen. Don't know if I mentioned the pieces of metal and tools here or elsewhere. ;) As long as I'm not bare naked I am armed. A rolled newspaper or magazine can be a lethal weapon if you know how to use it. If all else fails, I have rocks and sticks in my yard. They've been weapons at least since Cain slew Abel.

Bill

Are you not in Oklahoma (OKC Metro)?

You can legally carry concealed in Oklahoma without a license. We have constitutional carry. We have had it for a couple years. You can still get a license though if you want one for use when you travel to other states that have reciprocity with Oklahoma.

Iron369
02-24-2022, 07:09 PM
Why did you have carry on your job?

Why wouldn’t you carry on your job is a better question.

Scrounge
02-24-2022, 07:19 PM
Every time I lost a job or quit a job, there was always a better one to come along.
EVERYTIME !

Time to move on, and likely move up $

Lots of $20 per hour jobs in Minnesota, even more money if you like Metro areas.

This is a good point. There are always jobs out there looking for someone who wants to work and do a good job. If you look, you can find one. I had to go to a day labor source some years ago. Got me a job that got me back into good physical condition, for my age. ;) Was able to parley that into a decent maintenance job, which is what I should have been doing all those years between when I got out and when my teaching career crashed and burned. And that maintenance job got me back into machining. That job evaporated with the Covid-19, but now I'm retired, and finally making some progress on getting my workshop together.

Bill

Cosmic_Charlie
02-24-2022, 07:27 PM
Maybe try to get on the grounds crew at a university or college. Your current job skills would transfer nicely.

Ickisrulz
02-24-2022, 07:34 PM
Maybe try to get on the grounds crew at a university or college. Your current job skills would transfer nicely.

He's not carrying on that job either.

Targa
02-24-2022, 07:42 PM
You have skill a backhole operator who cares about your high school or lack of. If you are good as an operator you will find a better job. My good friend lost his job I told him the same thing he did find alot better job. Keep the faith and good luck.

I agree ^^. He has a skill set that I would like to have and I would think is in demand. Good luck out there.

Iron369
02-24-2022, 07:46 PM
Nobody is taking into consideration that what is considered concealed is concealed? You are losing your job because you disclosed information not pertinent to your job.

Texas Gun
02-24-2022, 07:50 PM
You don't need a license to carry in Texas either, but a property owner has the right to say who can or can't carry on their property.

He is a general manager he does not own the property the state of Texas owns the property it is a cemetery very big cemetery a lot goes on here and the other cemetery we service is on by city of Waco or McLennan County

Iron369
02-24-2022, 07:51 PM
Nobody is taking into consideration that what is considered concealed is concealed? You are losing your job because you disclosed information not pertinent to your job.

I carry every day. Fortunately, I work a job where it’s prohibited to deny anyone to open carry. So I abide by the law within the boundaries of the law and do what I feel like I need to do regardless of company policy.

Iron369
02-24-2022, 07:52 PM
He is a general manager he does not own the property the state of Texas owns the property it is a cemetery very big cemetery a lot goes on here and the other cemetery we service is on by city of Waco or McLennan County

Pretty sure your point was lost in the autocorrect. lol

Texas Gun
02-24-2022, 08:07 PM
Pretty sure your point was lost in the autocorrect. lol

I hate the autocorrect

rancher1913
02-24-2022, 08:57 PM
if you can run equipment, there are hundreds of jobs available, only problem is you may have to relocate. i know there are several pipeline contractors desperate to find help, really good pay, probably 4 or 5 times what you made as a gravedigger.

ulav8r
02-24-2022, 09:53 PM
Instead of selling your reloading equipment, sell your excess ammunition. There will be many more people interested in ammunition than equipment.

Black Jaque Janaviac
02-25-2022, 12:44 AM
You might check the laws in your state. In at least one state, homeschoolers can be issued a diploma from their homeschool. A number of our kids went to our local trade college. For whatever reason HS diplomas were sometimes required, sometimes not. Once a higher diploma is aquired that usually suffices.

Rcmaveric
02-25-2022, 01:31 AM
Yeah..... i work on base..... i get nervous bring a gun near a base. I hunted on base the past 9 years and sick to my stomach nervous going past the guards. Even though i had a carry permit sign by the base CO.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

gwpercle
02-25-2022, 10:31 AM
Texas Gun ... Do Not Sell your reloading equiptment ... that isn't a wise move economically ...
Good Luck .
In Louisiana Heavy Equipment operators are in demand ... construction is up and experienced operators are few ... there must be some work in Texas ... Nail that GED during the meantime , education is a good thing .
I will be praying for you and your family ... things will get better .
This may be an opprotunity ...disguised as a setback ... Keep the Faith !
Gary

farmbif
02-25-2022, 10:37 AM
I was thinking maybe Texas gun would be back here on Monday telling us what a great new job he got. I guessing he's a young capable man that isn't going to sit still long.

Handloader109
02-25-2022, 11:52 AM
YEP, backhoe operator? TEXAS? New job in a day , maybe two if he's picky

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

popper
02-25-2022, 12:06 PM
Are willing to move, don't have to check in with a parole officer once a week, and can pass a drug test--

Yup, get a job elsewhere. Cemeteries having a big problem recently - a friend was a grave digger and the whole bunch got laid off.

Texas Gun
02-25-2022, 03:35 PM

Yup, get a job elsewhere. Cemeteries having a big problem recently - a friend was a grave digger and the whole bunch got laid off.

Our cemetery so busy they can’t afford to lose me or at least I thought my direct boss is mad as hell at the general manager. Really I was overworked working six days a week no time off for the family or even my reload stuff And I just got done buying a bunch of reload stuff form a buddy

Winger Ed.
02-25-2022, 03:48 PM
Continue to march.
Your next job will probably be better and pay more.

That 'stay with one company forever and retire rich as the president of it' is a myth.
I've seen it over and over, to get a substantial raise or improve your condition-
You have to periodically change companies, and sometimes even industries.

Also, as far as starting your own business or contractor company goes:
Look around---- check out how many people you see that ever got rich by working for someone else.

kerplode
02-25-2022, 04:16 PM
Continue to march.
Your next job will probably be better and pay more.

That 'stay with one company forever and retire rich as the president of it' is a myth.
I've seen it over and over, to get a substantial raise or improve your condition-
You have to periodically change companies, and sometimes even industries.

Truth! The easiest way to get a raise is to change jobs.

Also, as far as starting your own business or contractor company goes:
Look around---- check out how many people you see that ever got rich by working for someone else.

Maybe yes...Maybe no. Starting your own business is awesome if you can pull it off, but by no means a guarantee of anything. Many people aren't really cut out for working for themselves, and statistically, the majority of small businesses go under in pretty short order. Also, if he has so little savings that he needs to immediately start selling stuff to make ends meet, he's probably not in any position to be able to afford to start a business.

I made a good living as an engineer, and I'm decently well off. I'm working towards starting a business, but it's going to be many months and many tens of thousands of dollars before even a single cent comes in as a result of my efforts.

Anyway, to the OP, I would suggest doing what you can to get your GED. It'll open a lot of doors. In the mean time, keep your head up and do what you can. There are a lot of jobs out there. Hell, you could flip burgers at McDonalds for $15/hr to fill in until something better comes along. They're not gonna let you carry there, either, though...

Scrounge
02-25-2022, 08:38 PM
or you could join marines or army. they pay you to carry gun

Actually, you need a high school diploma to enlist, IIRC. My youngest dropped out and got her GED & started college on the day she would have started her junior year of High School. Wasn't eligible to enlist in any branch of service with the GED. Once she had her college diploma she would have been eligible to enlist again. Working armed security now, and is a supervisor at age 24.

poorman
02-25-2022, 08:48 PM
Ask him/her for a letter of recommendation

bangerjim
02-25-2022, 11:25 PM
Sorry for your loss of a job. But…………..

I have traveled the hoots-n-hollers, the highways and biways of the great states of AZ, NM and NV for over 40 years with no need to carry a gun. Why do you feel you just MUST carry? If you lived in a crime-ridden Democrap city/state, that would be different.

You might need to re-think your needs.

Ban
02-25-2022, 11:25 PM
Runnin' a hoe & other equipment is a skill. I bought one 3 years ago, have good hand to eye coordination & it still took a bit of learnin.

I imagine you could find another job fairly soon. I'd hold off on sellin' the load stuffs but I'm not you or in your shoes.

Wouldn't make it known to employers, co-workers, or clients if you carry. Do so discretely & it likely wouldn't be an issue. If your not breaking the law the most they could do if found is fire you.

Being self employed is a double edged sword. I find it worth it. Even still a few client properties we can't carry on, that's what blades are for. You must be motivated, smart and /or a gluten for punishment.

Best of luck crossing a new threshold.

Land Owner
02-26-2022, 05:31 AM
Don't sell your reloading equipment and supplies. Many here have made the same statement. You OWN it and a LOT of your equipment is NOT AVAILABLE. You WILL have a difficult time and an increased cost replacing what is in your hands right now.

Your future is brighter than you recognize. Decisions made hastily "in the midst of a storm" become 20-20 hindsight MISTAKES in the rear-view mirror of Life.

jonp
02-26-2022, 08:58 AM

I'm not aware of any online reloading courses from The NRA and none are listed on their website.

Char-Gar
02-26-2022, 01:47 PM

He is the "agent" in charge of the property. The "shot caller" and he has called the no guns shot. He has the authority to do that.

Char-Gar
02-26-2022, 01:50 PM
Why wouldn’t you carry on your job is a better question.

Because the boss or the insurance company doesn't want you to.

Char-Gar
02-26-2022, 01:55 PM

No, who ever is the shot caller, be that owner, leasee, corporation, partnership or whatever is liable for the torts of the employees in the course and scope of their employment, i.e. on company time.

rbuck351
02-26-2022, 09:51 PM
Yep, he who signs your pay check sets the rules and is responsible for your actions while you are on the job.

Big Tom
02-27-2022, 10:16 AM
You can go through the NRA trainer course and then take the "Metallic cartridge" as well as the "Shotshell" trainer classes, which will allow you to teach reloading classes under the "NRA" logo (not that it would be needed to teach somebody how to reload, but apparently, some people care about such certifications).

I'm not aware of any online reloading courses from The NRA and none are listed on their website.

jsizemore
02-27-2022, 01:54 PM
Sorry for your loss of a job. But…………..

I have traveled the hoots-n-hollers, the highways and biways of the great states of AZ, NM and NV for over 40 years with no need to carry a gun. Why do you feel you just MUST carry? If you lived in a crime-ridden Democrap city/state, that would be different.

You might need to re-think your needs.

Some folks feel the need to be responsible for their own and their loved ones well being wherever they are.

Do you think the bad stuff will only happen at your house? A loaded gun at the house doesn't do you any good when your not at home!

kerplode
02-27-2022, 02:39 PM
Some folks feel the need to be responsible for their own and their loved ones well being wherever they are.

Do you think the bad stuff will only happen at your house? A loaded gun at the house doesn't do you any good when your not at home!

And now he's unemployed and doesn't have an income with which to "be responsible for" himself and his loved ones...Mission failed.

jsizemore
02-27-2022, 04:36 PM
And now he's unemployed and doesn't have an income with which to "be responsible for" himself and his loved ones...Mission failed.

I guess there's no other jobs in the whole of Texas? Beans and rice are good eating and good for ya.

And if your dead, your for sure not going to tend to anybody but the worms.

Murphy
02-27-2022, 09:03 PM
Carrying at work.

As Char-Gar has already stated, to sum it up it's their stick and their ball. Don't like it? Oh well, here's your final check, adios. At least in Oklahoma where I've lived all my life.

I worked for a public entity for 35 years, the city. And no, we were not allowed to carry at work. Did I? Discretion really is your best friend at times. And that's all I have to say about that.

Murphy

sparky45
02-27-2022, 09:40 PM
Look's like "Murphy" struck again with autocorrect.

Johnny Diamond
02-28-2022, 01:13 AM
I believe he meant discretion!

FINEM RESPICE ~ MEMENTO MORI

Murphy
02-28-2022, 01:45 AM
Okay guys, guilty as charged on the misuse of a word in my above post. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Alas, that fool Murphy who wrote all them laws? He made zero exemptions for people who bear the last name.

Murphy

Johnny Diamond
02-28-2022, 02:37 AM
Okay guys, guilty as charged on the misuse of a word in my above post. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. Alas, that fool Murphy who wrote all them laws? He made zero exemptions for people who bear the last name.

MurphyGreat sense of humor!

FINEM RESPICE ~ MEMENTO MORI

Travisbishop
03-05-2022, 03:43 AM
That fully sucks trash. Their place, their rules, however, that doesn't make it any better

Char-Gar
03-05-2022, 01:21 PM
That fully sucks trash. Their place, their rules, however, that doesn't make it any better

Where did you ever get the idea that life is fair?

Randy Bohannon
03-05-2022, 01:48 PM
I worked for a city F.D. for 32 years, I was a Investigator, Inspector, Fire Marshall, Firefighter- Paramedic. After about 3-4 years doing investigations and some threats, near misses and other occurrences My Fire Marshall at the time got with the County D.A’s office worked what we could do. To my amazement they sent two of us through both classes for P.C. 832 training at the local Sheriffs academy. When I was selected to go to Paramedic training the Fire Chief wanted me available to do investigations while on duty and on call. I was allowed to carry the rest of my career without incident. Very unusual at the time and less so today. I appreciated their efforts to make my job as reasonably safe as possible.