PDA

View Full Version : 7.62x39

farmbif
02-22-2022, 09:44 PM
didn't where to put this exactly hope this is ok
a buddy of mine called and said he has a couple thousand rounds of berdan steel case 7.62x39 ammo. any idea what this stuff might be worth

daengmei
02-22-2022, 09:47 PM
https://ammoseek.com/ammo/7.62x39mm

Remiel
02-23-2022, 12:09 AM
Local mom and pop shop is selling it for 11 to 13 bucks a box of 20 here in NY, not as cheap as it used to be here,

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Bloodman14
02-23-2022, 12:48 AM
It's worth what you're willing to pay for it. Do you have anything in x39? Good plinking stuff, or save for when SHTF.:Fire:

GregLaROCHE
02-23-2022, 01:46 AM
Do they have corrosive primers in them? If so you will have to clean your bore after each shooting session and that would make them worth a lot less to me. I wouldn’t want to reload them, but I guess you could if you really wanted to.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-23-2022, 02:05 PM
Last Sept, I finally found a buyer for my 20+ yr old stash of 1100 rds of 762x39 (various makers and bullet styles, but most was berdan and a good bit was Chinacom-corrosive, steel core on strippers).

1000 rd case of new matching foreign Mil-surp ammo should retail for about $500, I sold what I had to another gunshow vendor for half of that price, knowing he needs to make something on the flip.

I hope that helps.

Adam Helmer
02-24-2022, 11:14 AM
Firing corrosive primed 7.62X39MM ammo in a gas gun requires much more than just bore cleaning. I have seen SKS guns with gas tubes as rough as a corn cob because they were not washed with hot, soapy water after firing. I do not shoot corrosive ammo in any but bolt guns.

In the past, at my gun club, we shot much corrosive 7.62x39 ammo. All of us went home after the shoot, stripped our SKS guns and place the entire action in our bathtubs for the necessary wash.

Adam

Tokarev
02-28-2022, 08:50 PM
Corrosive is not a big deal because boiling water makes short work of potassium nitrite. All that one needs is a small, long-nose funnel, to pour it down the chamber and bore.
Whether it is steel jacket and whether it is steel core matters more because some ranges do not allow steel core while others do not allow any steel be it jacket or core. They spark on baffles and may set air filtration systems on fire.
So, OP, have the seller check if the bullets stick to a magnet if your range has any such rules.
FWIW, I was told that in the US steel core is banned. No idea if true or false. Do not get in trouble over a few $$.

pacomdiver
02-28-2022, 11:04 PM
Corrosive is not a big deal because boiling water makes short work of potassium nitrite. All that one needs is a small, long-nose funnel, to pour it down the chamber and bore.
Whether it is steel jacket and whether it is steel core matters more because some ranges do not allow steel core while others do not allow any steel be it jacket or core. They spark on baffles and may set air filtration systems on fire.
So, OP, have the seller check if the bullets stick to a magnet if your range has any such rules.
FWIW, I was told that in the US steel core is banned. No idea if true or false. Do not get in trouble over a few $$.

alot of the milsurp ammo is steel jacketed lead core, so it will stick to the magnet anyway. only way is pull one and smash it or cut it open

hoodat
02-28-2022, 11:38 PM
Back when I was buying the stuff, I paid $200 per thou. for several thousands of rounds. Obomba had just been elected, and I figured the end was near. Didn't realize how much worse it would get.:(

So just last night I was looking at the prices of SKS's on Gun-broker. Holy crap!!! I'm rich, and I didn't even know it. jd

Alstep
03-05-2022, 12:16 PM
Years ago a friend had an SKS that he shot a lot of corrosive Chicom ammo. Never cleaned it and then wondered why it seized up. And I mean seized up. The whole piston system was corroded up tight. Used penetrating oil and a torch, and had to beat it apart. Total neglect of a nice gun.

fatelk
03-06-2022, 01:37 PM
Steel core "handgun ammo" is banned from import or manufacture. Silly thing is, the atf considers 7.62x39 to be handgun ammo. It's legal (in most places) to own, shoot, buy, or sell, though FFLs can only legally sell it to law enforcement.

The Chicom steel core ammo usually goes for a premium, as people seem to think that it's "banned armor piercing ammo".

funnyjim014
03-12-2022, 10:13 AM
If new up until last month 650 ish a box . Now it's alot more. Problem is without knowing what it is it were just guessing.

Kraschenbirn
03-12-2022, 01:11 PM
A month or so ago, I saw a 1000-round carton of 70s-vintage Romanian(? or, maybe, Bulgarian; I'm not so good with reading Cyrllic) tagged at $990 on a dealer's shelf but a quick online search says current going rate is more like $400-500/case plus shipping.

Bill

gpidaho
03-12-2022, 01:51 PM
I just received an order of Tula from Bud's and it was $7.95 a box of 20. Gp