PDA

View Full Version : Fox in yd.

Freightman
02-22-2022, 09:39 PM
I was over at my house I am going to sell since y wife passed, we are packing stuff up to clean up. My daughter in law said there is a fox in the back yard, now this house is in the middle of a city of 200,000 people. No one has been there on a regular basis for a month and half. I went and looked he was a full grown and the back yard had bird parts all over. there are two large pine trees that the Grackles roust in. He has found a home with food.

contender1
02-22-2022, 10:14 PM
So,,, what's the problem?

:D :D

It's often a surprise to people how adaptable wildlife is to the city life.

Gofaaast
02-22-2022, 10:51 PM
I’ve seen a many fox over the years. I bet 90% of them were in town or the outskirts with minimal acreage. We had one when I lived in Illinois that just strolled the street in our country subdivision of around 40 houses daily in the mornings for a couple years. Being a country boy I enjoyed its presence. Had a den tree in my back yard at that place and boy there were some noisy coon fights at times!

wv109323
02-22-2022, 11:53 PM
We have several gray foxes that visit us. We have seen up to 5 at one time. We feed them popcorn at night and one is so tame we can almost call him in like a dog.
If we have not feed him on time he just sits on a rock waiting for his evening meal.

Mal Paso
02-23-2022, 12:02 AM
I've never seen a critter as proud of their poop as a fox.

john.k
02-23-2022, 12:45 AM
Foxes would make reasonable pets except they are very prone to marking everything with vile smelling scents....and they are incontinent...........Said to be much smarter than dogs,there are any number of pet foxes on utube.

GregLaROCHE
02-23-2022, 01:52 AM
If they aren’t causing a problem, like eating chickens etc. I wouldn’t mind having a few around. They would probably help to keep the rodent population down.

toallmy
02-23-2022, 08:04 AM
A couple weeks ago we had a red fox come up to the back door and ring the doggy doorbell , imagine my wife's surprise when she realized it wasn't our dogs ..

dverna
02-23-2022, 08:27 AM
If they aren’t causing a problem, like eating chickens etc. I wouldn’t mind having a few around. They would probably help to keep the rodent population down.

Yes. Not many foxes here and I would never shoot one as I have no chickens. It is a treat when we see one.

georgerkahn
02-23-2022, 08:41 AM
I was over at my house I am going to sell since y wife passed, we are packing stuff up to clean up. My daughter in law said there is a fox in the back yard, now this house is in the middle of a city of 200,000 people. No one has been there on a regular basis for a month and half. I went and looked he was a full grown and the back yard had bird parts all over. there are two large pine trees that the Grackles roust in. He has found a home with food.

Maybe 40 years ago I was shore-fishing at a large river with my then abut 8-year-old younger son when -- this on a Sunday afternoon -- a fox started walking towards us. More than a tad wobbly and generally "sick" looking my first thought was my son's safety, so I directed him to wade in ice-cold river water behind me so, at the least, I'd be between said fox and him. After a bit the fox turned around and eventually disappeared from sight into a not-too distant rock-pile.
This was the very last time, ever, I went fishing without a firearm at hand! I'm not a betting man, but I'd have bet the farm that this fox was rabid!
Your mention of seeing one made me recall this "adventure".
geo

JimB..
02-23-2022, 08:46 AM
Hate grackles.

trebor44
02-23-2022, 10:11 AM
Bumped one when driving to work one morning (downtown area). Always had a doggie bone for the one that hung out by the backdoor to my workplace. And my son-in-law feeds part of his lunch to the one that 'begs' at the table at his workplace! They are smart and crafty, just like squirrels!

bedbugbilly
02-23-2022, 10:13 AM
Where I'm from in lower Michigan, we had a lotto them whenI was a kid - saw them on the farm all the time - usually red but sometimes silver. They got thinned out a lot when they put a bounty on them way back when l . but now we do see them once in a while . . we see one once in a while in the back yard of our condo in town that we moved in to from the farm a few years ago . . . love watching them. As a kid growing up, especially when I got into my teen years . . . I began to really appreciate and admire "fox/foxes" . . both the four legged and two legged kind . . . . :-)

lightman
02-23-2022, 10:22 AM
A Red Fox is a pretty animal. We see one in the yard occasionally. We get one on game camera sometimes at the Deer lease.

gwpercle
02-23-2022, 12:45 PM
They keep the Rat and snake population down and may even help keep Feral cats out the hood ...not so much that a Fox would attack and kill a feral cat but the fox is smart and doesn't leave much food for the cats to eat... so they (the cats) move on to a place with easier pickins .
A Coyote is a whole other story ... they are large enough to attack a cat .
Near my office (outside the city limits in the country) a person was feeding what became a huge colony of feral cats , 30 - 40 and reproducing quickly ! ... then a pair of Coyotes moved in the woods ... in a year every feral cat was gone and our office rat problem was taken care of ... snakes went away too !
Gary

WRideout
02-26-2022, 06:20 PM
In years past I have seen red foxes come running to a mallard call.

Wayne

Rapier
02-26-2022, 06:52 PM
Been around farms way too long to trust a bobcat, fox coyote or a coon. They get within shooting distance and they are toast. No exceptions.

Winger Ed.
02-26-2022, 07:16 PM
there is a fox in the back yard, now this house is in the middle of a city of 200,000 people..

Growing up, the only fox, raccoon, or coyote I ever saw was on TV.
Now, they're quite common.

The 'we pushed them out by building cities, and destroying their habitat' I think is wrong.
They came to us, and there is more of them now than ever.

john.k
02-26-2022, 10:02 PM
i used to see three huge red foxes raiding the bins on bin night .........I thought my big cat was scared of them...wasnt,it was stinging ants in the grass he was scared of......discovered that with bare feet one day.........anyhoo ,for some reason (greenies) the council here has gone crazy poisoning and killing critters.....theyve paid $ millions to exterminate deer, foxes,cats,dogs,you name it ,they kill it.

Ohio686
02-26-2022, 10:08 PM
I had one squat in the middle of the road and take a leak. I stopped the car, takes some nerve to do that