PDA

View Full Version : Finally Got A "Handle" On This

Bent Ramrod
02-21-2022, 06:04 PM
Y'knowwhaddamean? (*nyuk!-nyuk!*)

I think I finally can tell the difference between the old "Small" and "Large" Lyman mould handles. I lucked into one example of each long ago, in the original properly labeled boxes, and was always at pains to take the blocks off at the end of a session and put the handles back. This ensured that I could start casting with a given mould without the usual exasperating experience of having to rummage through my accumulation of same and test for fit until I found one that worked. The small handles, which were nearly indistinguishable from the large handles, would leave a gap between the two-cavity blocks when the handles were closed. Gradually, when I thought of it, I would take a proven two-cavity handle out to the shop and stamp "L" on it, but often I had other things to do.

Today, I hauled out a bunch of loose handles and checked them against a set of two-cavity blocks. Amazingly, three of them seemed to be of the "Large" type. All of them had a slight angle between the tangs that fit into the mould grooves:

The one that didn't work as a two-cavity had nearly parallel groove tangs:

And then there was one that had parallel tangs, but had cutouts ground or filed into the tang bottoms, near the hinge. This setup looked remarkably like the new "Universal" Lyman mould handle tangs. Sure enough, the two-cavity blocks that didn't fit on the other single handle set fit fine on this modified one. The cutouts allow the inner corners of the blocks to miss the bottom of the tangs near the hinges, so the blocks close correctly:

However, this dodge does leave the "Small" handles splayed out more than they were originally. No problem, if you have large hands, but a little fatiguing if you have small hands and are used to the close positions of the proper single cavity handles. I cast a lot with Winchester moulds, so I'm used to the wide handle position.

I thought I'd just post these findings "for the record," so anybody else who has had trouble distinguishing these handles can look for the slight angle, or grind the tangs as shown on a small one to fit both size blocks if necessary. I'll probably be reviewing it from time to time, myself.

Scrounge
02-21-2022, 06:13 PM
Thanks for sharing! My cunning plan is to have a set of handles on each set of molds. Checking my wallet, however, indicates a small problem with the idea... ;) Though I may have a machine shop of my own by the end of the week, and a way to bypass that wallet problem.

Bill

Green Frog
03-02-2022, 10:14 AM
I, too have battled the small vs large handles concern from the time I was engaged in Schuetzen and using single cavity rifle moulds only... most being on the old, small Ideal-type blocks. I “solved” it for me by buying up all the small handles I could afford to try and put as many of my precious moulds on dedicated handles as possible. The only non-Ideal moulds I had for Schuetzen such as my treasured Jerry Barnett moulds got their own fitted set of handles. 8-)

This worked well until I started seeking out 2 and 4 cavity moulds in old Ideal and Lyman designs and I had to expand my search. This continues. [smilie=w:

I only own a couple of RCBS moulds, so I’ve provided them with dedicated handles, and Lee handles and moulds are an obvious solution. Fortunately, my NOE and MP moulds fit the cheap Lee handles so that problem is solved! 8-)

Whew! Where the devil did all of these moulds come from? :-?

Froggie