PDA

View Full Version : Powder measure for h110/296

COUSIN DANIEL
02-20-2022, 10:27 PM
I have a lee perfect powder measure and a pacific rifle measure and all I can say they feel horrible when throwing charges. The powder weight is right but the feel is gravel grinding.

What measure feels better and still drops accurate charges?

15meter
02-20-2022, 11:05 PM
Either of my Redding's drop 296 as close to perfect as I could want. One is the 3BR, second is the BR-30.

I've owned and used RCBS Uniflow's, Lyman 55's, an old Hollywood, a Belding & Mull, a couple of Dillon's on both a 550B and a Square Deal B.

And a new Hornady that I got when I bought a large lot of reloading stuff. Took it out of the box, looked at it and never used it. Didn't see anything on it that made me think it would work better than what I was already using.

The Redding's just work too well.

JimKirk
02-20-2022, 11:12 PM
My RCBS Uniflow works very well with W296/H110...

Eddie Southgate
02-20-2022, 11:36 PM
I have a lee perfect powder measure and a pacific rifle measure and all I can say they feel horrible when throwing charges. The powder weight is right but the feel is gravel grinding.

What measure feels better and still drops accurate charges?

Own both and never had an issue with either. Also own the Lyman 55 , Belding & Mull , Ohaus , RCBS , all work just fine . Might want to buy a set of Lee dippers , they are pretty smooth .

COUSIN DANIEL
02-20-2022, 11:36 PM
The 2 measure I have drop accurate charges they just feel like crap due to resistance.

I assume the powder is smaller than the clearance between the rotor drum and bore?

I gave thought to turning a new rotor on my lathe to have .0003 clearance and seeing what would happen with the pacific.

NSB
02-21-2022, 12:58 AM
I’m a Redding user after having several other brands over the years. I will say that 296/110 has NEVER been a problem in any measure I’ve owned. However, I never had a Lee. Stick powder is what usually gives everyone problems.

Three44s
02-21-2022, 02:27 AM
Do a search on Lee Perfect measure with regards to using fine grained powders and you will find that out of the box they are in need of tune up at a moment minimum prior to throwing powders such as H/110.

I use a Uniflow for those finely grained powders with great success and reserve my Perfect measure for mainly extruded ones.

Three44s

doulos
02-21-2022, 12:11 PM
Ive had good success with H110 with a RCBS Uniflow.

megasupermagnum
02-21-2022, 06:36 PM
Zero issues with my 3 Lee measures. Just tighten the nut more.

nhyrum
02-22-2022, 02:24 AM
I had an rcbs uniflow, it worked well. The Dillon measure on my 650 leaks, the lee auto drum either leaked or bound up… h110 is like sand…it’s a pain, but I need to buy it by the drum

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eddie Southgate
02-24-2022, 05:22 PM
The 2 measure I have drop accurate charges they just feel like crap due to resistance.

I assume the powder is smaller than the clearance between the rotor drum and bore?

I gave thought to turning a new rotor on my lathe to have .0003 clearance and seeing what would happen with the pacific.

Try taking them apart and cleaning everything . If you have some powdered graphite you might drop a pinch on the rotor while the measure is empty and work it in . Might not change anything but it is something I do anyway . Powder has graphite on it and a new measure always moves smoother after a little powder has gone thru it . The above tip to tighten the nut on the Lee measure is a good one also . I use all kinds of powder in my measures and don't have the problem you are having . Might have a powder that drops shy due to bridging but thats about it .

The rotor making sounds like a fun project , try it if you have the time and materials .

Silvercreek Farmer
02-24-2022, 06:13 PM
Just tried last week with the Lee Autodrum. Didn’t feel too bad but the measure leaked a few particles with every throw. Probably tolerable as it wouldn’t have added up to a single charge after 50 rounds but weights were probably +- .15 grains. A bit much for me when you are trying to drop 16.5g in a 357.

ShooterAZ
02-24-2022, 06:18 PM
My RCBS Uniflow works fine with H110/296, but my Dillon powder measures don't. They eventually leak a little and start binding up, despite my upgrading them.

crandall crank
02-24-2022, 08:42 PM
I'll have to second and third a RCBS Uni-Flow. An old Lyman 55 also works well.