PDA

View Full Version : American Derringer M4 - Ultimate Survival Pistol?

Omega
02-20-2022, 02:27 PM
I must admit, I am intrigued by this little sucker, but to call it an ultimate survival pistol??? First, you had better either be a great shot, or let a bear get up close and personal before firing the gun, both of which I would not like to put to the test with only a one (ok two) round single action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmwBeLxz8Ng

reddog81
02-20-2022, 03:48 PM
I hate shooting my Davis .38 Special derringer. That little sucker wants to jump out of your hand even with light loads. Shooting 45-70 out of that thing would be awful. I'm guessing hitting anything smaller than a deer at 15 yards will be more luck than skill.

FWIW I'd take a Sig P365 with a 12 round magazine over that thing in just about any scenario.

Winger Ed.
02-20-2022, 05:04 PM
I've got a Bond in .410/.45Colt.
Even with mild-ish cast .45 loads---- It's a big enough handful for me.

I don't consider any O/U Derringer as a ultimate survival pistol.
I think 'ultimate last resort pistol' would be a better description.

MT Gianni
02-20-2022, 05:17 PM
The point of having a gun is the expectation that you will hit near where you are aiming.

bimus
02-20-2022, 05:43 PM
I worked with a man that bought his wife one like this this in 410 and 45 colt she had trouble hit any thing because it hurt her hand so much that all she could think about when pulling the trigger it was sad to see .

Winger Ed.
02-20-2022, 06:42 PM
trouble hit any thing because it hurt her hand so much that all she could think about

I'm 6'-0, and 250 pounds. I don't shoot mine more than a couple times without wearing a leather glove.
A buddy who is on a smaller frame shot it once, and said, "OK, I'm done" as he handed it back.

Of course, if you're scared,,, you probably won't feel, or hear it.

Bigslug
02-20-2022, 08:02 PM
Between derringer and rock, I'll unswervingly choose rock.

elmacgyver0
02-20-2022, 08:33 PM
I have the Bond Arms Cowboy 45LC/.410 2.5inch it is more of a novelty than anything else.
.410 2.5" #8 shot will mostly bounce off of a plastic 2-liter pop bottle at 8 -10 feet.
Wanted #4 shot but can never find it in 2.5" shells.
I also have a .38spl/.357mag barrel for it.
I shoot the 38 but have never had enough nerve to shoot .357 mag out of it.
45 Colt isn't too bad.
Neat little well-made gun but not all that practical, but one of those things I just had to have.

Scrounge
02-20-2022, 08:36 PM
Between derringer and rock, I'll unswervingly choose rock.

If you have two hands, derringer in one, and rock in the other. Big rock! Though my ultimate backup weapon is a blade. I also hope I never need it, but I know I can hit something with it.

RJM52
02-20-2022, 08:51 PM
Used to be a AD dealer back in the 1980s...well made guns but basically a joke at any more than "get off me" ranges. Friend had one of these and the recoil wasn't all "that" bad...just had to hang on to it.

Just a range toy....Bob

G W Wade
02-20-2022, 09:07 PM
I have the Bond 45/ 410 that I bought off of a friend. Pretty much worthless IMHO does not pattern shot very well and 45 Colt is so far off of POA But I did find out it shoots 410 slugs pretty decently. Not for the timid. Mostly used with 38 specials in the other set of barrels. GW

Bigslug
02-20-2022, 09:24 PM
If you have two hands, derringer in one, and rock in the other. Big rock! Though my ultimate backup weapon is a blade. I also hope I never need it, but I know I can hit something with it.

I first thought to JB Weld the derringer to my rock thereby increasing its sectional density, but then thought you can smack the derringer against the rock and have a firestarter - especially good if you duct tape some kindling fluff inside the barrels. A chrome derringer might make for a good fishing lure or signaling mirror. I mean, this thread WAS launched for the purpose of pondering its value as a survival tool.

GhostHawk
02-20-2022, 10:08 PM
I lean towards .22mag 5 shot revolvers and .32 caliber in both revolvers and semi's.

I have no desire to shoot even .44mag or .45 colt through a firearm that small.
The advantage in my opinion is that if your not afraid of it or the pain it will cause (or if it does not cause any) you are much more likely to hit what your aiming at. Just my opinion, everyone has one, you can think mine stinks, I won't care. I might think yours stinks.

DDriller
02-21-2022, 01:36 AM
I have a little .38 special derringer that was my Dad's. First time I shot it with him a couple of .38's weren't too bad. Dad told me to try a couple of more so I shot one that was about the same. The next one almost came out of my hand taking hide off my thumb with it. Dad laughed his butt off and said he was wondering what a .357 mag load would do.

Walks
02-21-2022, 02:54 AM
Actually the "Survival" part means it will shoot clear thru the Grizzly Bear that is chewing on you and kill you immediately. That way the painful death is quick, rather then lingering.

Fishman
02-21-2022, 02:22 PM
I have tested a .410/45 colt derringer extensively with the self defense 2.5" .410 loads and trust me, its way better than a rock. It isn't at all hard to shoot and you can't miss at 10'. Stiff trigger is the only complaint. I have plenty of handguns to choose from and this one has a place in the defense of my home.

smorin2
02-21-2022, 08:06 PM
I use Winchester pdx 410 shells in my Bond Arms 45/410 3". I can shoot about 10-15 rounds of 3" 410 at a time,more than that it hurts. It's a well made gun that i pocket carry when i take my dogs out at nite. We have had a couple of skunks get a bit frisky with the dogs and i figure a face full of 410 should stop one the next time it's gets too close.

lar45
02-22-2022, 01:58 PM
I have a couple of fmj 45/410 Derringers. I tried to shoot a grouse with a 410 shell once. It just walked off laughing at me.
One of them has the 22lr barrel on top and the 22 barrel actually shoots pretty good. I could probably hit a rabbit within in 15 yards. The 45/410 barrel goes bang, but that's about it. I painted a horizontal line across the rear sight to give a difference for the 22 and 45colt barrels.

Winger Ed.
02-22-2022, 02:07 PM
i figure a face full of 410 should stop one the next time it's gets too close.

From what I've seen over the years with our large skunk population, I'd re-think that strategy.:bigsmyl2:

You're setting yourself up for a full blast of return fire by some pretty heavy artillery:
Skunks instinctively shoot straight to the front, and over their head.

RogerDat
02-22-2022, 02:14 PM
I would think a derringer would be a good bear gun only if you could get the bear to sit down and play poker with you. At under the table range it would seem sufficient to at least keep the bear honest.

Would rather have a .22 semi-auto pack rifle. That way I could shoot something for dinner when I climbed down from the tree and my food had all been ravaged by the bear. With the added advantage of being able to prick the bears backside when he was looking to climb the tree. Figure maybe when he looked behind him and didn't find what bit him he might go looking and lose interest in the tree.

Texas by God
02-22-2022, 02:37 PM
Far better to run up to a skunk and kick it like a football than shoot one with a .410 pistol. Either way is gonna stink, but you might actually kill it with a kick......

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Jtarm
03-12-2022, 03:10 PM
I hate shooting my Davis .38 Special derringer. That little sucker wants to jump out of your hand even with light loads. Shooting 45-70 out of that thing would be awful. I'm guessing hitting anything smaller than a deer at 15 yards will be more luck than skill.

FWIW I'd take a Sig P365 with a 12 round magazine over that thing in just about any scenario.

Assuming you did hit that smaller-than-a-deer critter, there wouldn’t be much left.

John Guedry
03-13-2022, 09:49 AM
You could probably be better shooting yourself when the bear started chewing on you.

Handloader109
03-15-2022, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't trust it at all. the little derringers are good for making noise, but two shots? I'd bet you'd miss the bear at 10 feet and by then it's too late. 50 feet and maybe 5 bears lines up side by side. Just sayin. Love the poker comment. That sums it up. Now would I want to be hit by anything? nope, I don't want to be shelled by # 10 birdshop from 200 yards either.

Char-Gar
03-15-2022, 03:45 PM
Somebody will make whatever anybody else will buy.

Scrounge
03-15-2022, 03:49 PM
I have tested a .410/45 colt derringer extensively with the self defense 2.5" .410 loads and trust me, its way better than a rock. It isn't at all hard to shoot and you can't miss at 10'. Stiff trigger is the only complaint. I have plenty of handguns to choose from and this one has a place in the defense of my home.
I can't claim to have tested extensively, but the .45LC/.410 derringer I shot with a .45LC round at 2 feet from the target just barely hit the paper target, and the slug hit on it's side and failed to penetrate the paper target. That is not something that I'm going to be depending on for anything but a paperweight. Not saying yours won't hit, but the one I tried certainly would not.

Bill

Travisbishop
03-19-2022, 06:50 AM
I've got a derringer in 45/70. Not sure how it shoots since I just can't bring myself to pull the trigger. There's just something seems "off" about the whole git up

GhostHawk
03-19-2022, 10:06 AM
For small, hard to beat this IMO.

https://northamericanarms.com/shop/firearms/naa-22mbtii250/

But for true SHTF scenario I would be carrying my Ruger Mark 3 22/45 with red dot sight. Terrifyingly good at 10 to 20 feet. And still darn handy at longer ranges. 10 rounds +1, does not have quite the damage potential of the .22mag, yet still lethal.

And the little Beretta 81 in .32acp with 12 rounds is just as good with 2 more shots and a bigger bullet. 80-100 grain means easy double the damage of a .22lr at similar ranges.

All 3 will do the job, but the Ruger will do it at longer ranges and with easily found and carried ammo.