PDA

View Full Version : B&L Balvar 8 scope mounts

porthos
02-20-2022, 01:56 PM
friend brought over a older sako with a bausch & lomb scope mount. it has some slight movement in the mount. it has the older device that removes the scope from the mount. i belive that it is spring loaded. i can't move it either forward or reverse for removal. which way do i remove it. my thoughts are that this mounting system is gummed up.

SOFMatchstaff
02-20-2022, 02:48 PM
You could have either B&L or a Kuharsky , both work the same way. the mount is adjustable and the rings are a one piece assembly with the tension spring in the ring base, usually a rod with a slant cut facing up toward the bottom of the scope, and a blade fixture in the rear of the ring assy. you remove the scoped assy. by pushing from the back to compress the rod/spring and then lift the scope forward and up. Some times it take a stiff bump with the palm of the hand to unseat the tension. Pad your palm with a heavy glove or something , or you can push down on a work bench edge if its padded so not to damage the scope ocular end. Some of the Kuharskys use a tensioning nut and a arched spring style, but yours sounds like the B&L

porthos
02-20-2022, 03:40 PM
thanks; got it off. it is a kuharsky mount. for those that don't know: a different removal system was designed because high recoil rifles sometimes "popped" the scope off. (so the rumors say)

Bmi48219
02-24-2022, 09:57 AM
How old is the Sako? Mine was built in 67 but has their dovetailed receiver.

porthos
02-24-2022, 08:40 PM
its a Rhimaki. mfg 1956-57; it also has the dovetail reciever

quack1
02-25-2022, 09:26 AM
222, or one of the rare other calibers? I bought the same set up about 7-8 years ago. Excellent shooter. Did your buddy get the Sako peep sight that originally came with the gun?

porthos
02-25-2022, 08:33 PM
no, no peep sight. he bought the gun (222) and scope for $800.00. pretty good deal. i bedded it for him.